Author Topic: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - 2016 Wii U GOTY by default  (Read 73899 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem: Confirmed to still exist thread
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2015, 01:41:06 AM »
See, when I heard Atlus was developing the game, I knew it was going to "Japanese".

But this game is SO damn Japanese ITS MAKING MY MIND MELT. And I love every second of it. I wonder if they'll talk about archways too...
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 08:59:55 AM »
I do not understand anything about this game....I wish it clicked to some degree but I don't...why is she singing....dresses? I hope you guys enjoy it.

The premise of the game is that the girl, Tsubasa, wants to become an idol like Kiria (KOH WAH SHI TAI!). Tsubasa is being helped by Itsuki (blue hair pretty boy) and Toma (red hair pretty boy). AT THE SAME TIME, dangerous beings are sucking the life out of people in modern day Tokyo. Tsubasa and co. are Mirage Masters and call on their Mirages (i.e. Fire Emblem character spirits) to battle back the darkness. Also, the dungeons are derived from Tokyo locations and cultures, such as the fashion-centric Shibuya. Also, the random battles take place on concert stages and you can literally defeat evil with a pop song. Lastly, the first big bad bears a resemblance to Tsubasa's missing sister.

It makes sense!
I swear it makes sense!

Thanks for the summary!

This game doesn't sound like it's in my wheelhouse at all. Still preordered... but damn, that's a lot of Japan-flavored crazy in a small package.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 01:38:24 PM »
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-fire-emblem-shin-megami-tensei-crossover-is-pe/1100-6428306/

Why all the idols?
Yamagami and Takada also explained why the game is so heavy on Japanese pop idol culture and why so many characters are shown singing.

"This is why the characters are all entertainers: in Japan, similar to Greek mythology, there's the idea of the gods being connected to the arts," Takada said. "It's a shamanistic element that's been interpreted by Atlus. The idea is, Japanese priestesses would dance and the dancing would bring them closer to the gods. We wanted to spin this in an Atlus way, so all the characters in the game have some connection to the arts, and that connection and their ability to express themselves attracts the Mirages to them. People who are good at singing or dancing or acting have really strong bonds with Mirages."

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 04:54:58 PM »
Very insightful interview, nice to know the method behind the madness. For example I didn't appreciate the design of Ivan from Devils Third until Itagaki told the story how he is based on a monk who had his ears ripped off by ghosts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoichi_the_Earless

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem: So. Much. JPop.
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2015, 04:44:18 AM »
Are they fighting Bayonetta enemies?

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2015, 05:01:40 AM »
Are they fighting Bayonetta enemies?

Um, they just seem to be shadowy creatures from the Idolosphere.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2015, 08:22:42 AM »
That's pretty much what you fight in Persona 3/4 (though once you hit the battle screen they become actual enemies).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2015, 11:55:35 AM »
Making the crowds colored silhouettes is clever.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2015, 08:16:30 PM »
Tidbits from the website that have gone unnoticed...

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/asej/world/index.html
New high quality GIF of character conversation emotes and walkin' around the city. Blink and you'll miss it but you can see an un-silhouetted guy in a suit standing next to a terminal, my instinct says save point but we have already seen you can save anywhere. Also there are posters of the Tsubasa on the buildings, so this must be after her musical debut.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/asej/world/mirage.html
Another GIF showing off some super slick battle animations. Looks as though the fire emblem mirages are sealed inside the weapons, like Fi basically.
Image of Itsuki and Chrom in front of the shrine together.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/asej/world/stage.html
Not much to note here but you get a look at the cutscenes without the youtube compression.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/asej/character/itsuki.html
Never before seen character artwork for Itsuki.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHrm0VvVEAAFPyF.jpg
New character artwork for Tiki.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdrPI7R7kXA
1:45 Silhouettes of more unannounced Fire Emblem characters.
1:49 Unidentified Fire Emblem character, looks suspiciously like Abel.
1:52 For a few frames you can see Tiki performing a ritual in front of the shrine, followed by some more characters doing "Hey look at me" animations, looks like promotions or something like that.
https://youtu.be/gKaHMqkjGS8?t=58s
0:58 Two unidentified Fire Emblem characters, a swordsman with red hair and black armour, and another with a lance and cream armour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRcGHIp8KvY
Itsuki has a rapier in the first save file and a lance in the second.
Last one, at 35:22 there is a place called "Crepes Dia" which is a persona reference.

Noticed something else, there is a remix of the Fire Emblem main theme. https://youtu.be/ZRcGHIp8KvY?t=12m56s They talk over it but it's recognisable.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 07:00:21 PM by TOPHATANT123 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2015, 05:46:09 PM »
Nice to see Ephraim confirmed as a character. Now to hope for Soren and Nephenee.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2015, 04:03:17 PM »
Famitsu has new coverage on Genei Ibun Roku #FE (Name Not Final). Siliconera has some of the details:
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/07/shin-megami-tensei-x-fire-emblems-main-story-will-be-around-30-hours/

The game is feature complete and is now in QA. The timing makes sense given the lengthy E3 2015 demo and the targeted Winter 2015 release date.

The main story will be ~30 hours with ~30 hours of side content. I am delighted by these estimated times. After seeing a friend grind through Persona 4 for 70-80+ hours, it's nice to have shorter JRPGs. Besides, my time will probably sucked up by Xenoblade Chronicles X (happily sucked up, I hope).

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2015, 05:02:33 PM »
A 30 hour game with an optional 30 hours of side quests is nice. Still have no idea how I'm going to sink into Xenoblade.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Re: SMTxFE Genei Ibun Roku #FE JPop Extravaganza (Thread Name Not Final)
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2015, 11:47:58 PM »
The Last Story was a 25-30 hour RPG and one of my favorite RPGs last gen. I like titles that don't drag themselves out too much.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2015, 08:58:38 PM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/25/shin-megami-tensei-x-fire-emblem-composer-on-the-challenge-of-video-game-music/#jqLLtc0QPaluXDIY.99

Blog post from the games composer Yoshiaki Fujisawa. The short of it all is that the composer was contacted in late 2013 about the project, like Sawano with Xenoblade it was his first work on a video game. While difficult at first he received help from the sound team at Atlus and eventually go into a groove producing many "groovy" tracks. Also Easter egg alert: one of the characters in the game was made in the image of the composer.

In terms of Shin Megami Tensei I blasted through 4 and fell in love with it, next I think I'll move onto the PS2 titles like SMT 3 or maybe Persona 4 since they are dirt dirt cheap on amazon.

In terms of Fire Emblem I have played through 7, 8 and Awakening. Awakening I liked a lot and is probably one of my favourite games period, 7 was enjoyable yet a little dated, but still easy to appreciate. 8 was more of the same with an overall disappointing story, although I will go back to it at some point for a second play through. Shadow Dragon is out on the eshop in Europe but I have no intention of playing that train wreck. Hopefully sometime soon Radiant Dawn is selected on the eshop dartboard.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2015, 02:13:15 PM »
Shin Megami Tensei IV is "MECHANICALLY" one of my favorite RPGs on 3DS, and I haven't gotten into Persona because I really just don't like the mood of those games.

SMT: Strange Journey is another game the #FE team has made, and that along with SMTIV have me excited for this title. The fact that Atlus is making this game makes me excited. It also looks gorgeous.

But most importantly, it's not being made by Intelligent Systems and it looks to be as little about Fire Emblem characters as possible. Because Fire Emblem Awakening was one of the most disappointing 3DS games in my library.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2015, 03:11:20 PM »
I found a deal on Persona 1, 2 and 3 portable on PSN so I'm going with them for the time being. I like Persona 1's battle system although it seems a lot more messy and less refined than SMT 4, the story on the other hand is utterly incomprehensible. It feels like I'm missing some exposition some where.

Offline Enner

• View Profile

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2015, 02:51:46 AM »
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/asej/character/kiria.html

The character page has been updated!

Barry Goodman, American otaku, is a big fan of Mamori Minamoto, the elementary school idol of traditional Japanese music.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2015, 07:45:37 PM »
Do you even dungeon crawling?
Well yes as a matter of fact I do because I've been playing Persona 1. Perhaps the black sheep of the franchise this 2009 remake of the 1996 PS1 game was a mere £4 on PSN a week ago. I'm nearing the very end of the first half of the game although I'm also nearing the end of my patience with it's final boss, more on that later.

Starting the game up you are greeted with a flashy opening sequence, this is one of the additions to the remake along with animated cutscenes, the other half of the game that was cut for the US release and a completely redone soundtrack.

The story follows a group of Japanese school kids in a non specific Japanese town, without spoiling it the story is absolutely nonsensical at least towards the beginning but it does get better with some genuine emotional moments. The cast all have distinct personalities and have a decent amount of characterisation. I think the biggest issue that makes it hard to connect with them is that they are all so nonchalant about the demonic apocalypse, the fact that demons are roaming the streets barely phases anyone as if this kind of thing happens often. In SMT 4 going to Tokyo for the first time hit me like a tonne of bricks, Tokyo under the firmament oozes atmosphere whereas Mikage just doesn't. Now the story contains two paths, you spend some time meeting all the characters then you are presented with a choice; you can either run away from school to bring down an evil corporation and save the world, or you can golden sun it and just politely turn down the offer, then after following a specific list of illogical instructions you unlock an alternate story that recycles very little from the main story. Like SMT 4 the margin for error to get the good ending is stupidly narrow so if you don't want the game to abruptly end 10 hours before the end with no explanation I suggest following a guide. You can only have 5 party members in the game however one of the character slots is not fixed, you can get a different 5th party member by declining the offer of the first guy who comes along to join your team. I think each party member has unique dialogue so that must of been a massive amount of work for something so obtuse to obtain.

The music is pretty good although unfitting at times. For some reason the games director is also the games composer which is perhaps a testament of how understaffed ATLUS are. My favourite track is the boss theme.

The battle system is typical SMT with a twist. You and the opposing demons are on an isometric grid with different attacks having different types of range. For example shotgun will be able to fire at multiple enemies in a cone, where magic will be able to reach anywhere on the opposing grid however magic will consume sp. There is no press turn in this game which is a system in SMT 4 that would basically allow you an extra go if you exploit a weakness, so less emphasis is put on exploiting these weaknesses, making the game less punishing and a bit easier if you don't know what you are doing, but if you do know what you are doing it is much harder. In SMT 4 the difficulty curve was completely backwards whereas in Persona the game starts easier but gets insanely difficult at the end. At the moment the game has given me an ultimate Persona to beat the game, oh wait, you can't equip that Persona until you are level 62 and you are level 44. I'm sorry what?! I really don't know if I can realistically finish this game at this point, guess I'm gonna have to go heavy on the podcasts and turn off my brain for a few hours to get up to level 62. Oh and on a side note amount the bosses give a hilariously large amount of exp, like if you don't skip it the ding-a-ling-a-ling of experience going up can last 10+ minutes.

Demon negotiation is done by choosing persuasion techniques presented by your party members, such as Dance or Sing. The demon will respond and that will move the needle on one of it's emotions on the matrix, once it reaches zero it will act on that emotion, sometimes acting on multiple emotions at the same time . There's happy, eager, sad and angry, if you want to recruit the demon you want to try to make it eager, sadness will make it flee, happiness will charm it and angry will provoke it.

You talk to the demons to get spell cards that you can fuse into Personas, these personas have completely different play styles since they will have skills that change up how you play (until you realise nuclear is overpowered). And there are loads of different skill types/weaknesses in this game: Sword, Lance, Axe, Fire, Ice, Rush, Tech, Wind, Death, Electric, Expel, Light, Dark, Gravity, Nerve, Occult, Curse, Whip, Thrown, Arrow, Fist, Gun and Blast. They seem to have scaled it back for SMT 4 where they have like 9.

Should you play Persona 1? Yes, with a walkthrough, and a playlist of podcasts for the end game. It's held my interest thus far but I wasn't as deeply infatuated with it as I was SMT 4.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2015, 11:23:16 AM »
Well would ya look at that, I was just talking about how good SMT 4 is and they go and announce a sequel.
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201510/06090028.html
"God killing is the keyword!"

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2015, 01:04:13 PM »
I'm pumped. Loved SMTIV and the art for this looks awesome.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2015, 04:09:41 AM »
Two new trailers up on Nintendo's YouTube. The second one is a little more spoilery than the first although it's definitely more interesting.
Itsuki
Tsubasa

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2015, 04:49:00 AM »
Yup. Still looking like my kind of jam. The game's visuals compare poorly side-by-side to Persona 5. While it is not surprising, it is a minor bummer.

As for potential spoilers, I wouldn't be surprised if most of what is seen in the longer, new trailer is from the first part of the game. Most of the scenes remind me of what happened early on in Persona 4.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2015, 02:01:57 AM »
Since Tsubasa's story seems to be the primary focus of the game, I also think a lot of that stuff is from early in the the game. I'm wondering if Atlus will be going the distance to match the English VAs with their respective songs for the localization as well. Maybe, maybe not. Since it's such a crucial part of the narrative, it would be a nice gesture.

I think the concert and animated cutscenes are very well-done, actually, but the in-game stuff does look a little stiff. I'm sure a lot more effort is being put into Persona 5 seeing how ridiculously popular the franchise has become. However, this #FE has a completely different feel (whether you like it or not), and I can see why they chose this art direction as a contrast. I'll be honest, the pastel coloring is really making me warm and fuzzy.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2015, 02:12:00 PM »
Well I finished both quests in Persona 1, it's decent I suppose although doesn't hold a candle to SMT 4, to be fair it's to be expected considering SMT 4 is fundamentally 17 years younger. Now onto Persona 2; like SMT 4 the game was split into two parts however the only way to play the second part is the botched PS1 version, so I guess I'm going to skip that one for now. I read Persona 2 has the argueable best story in Megaten or something like that so I'm looking forward to it.