Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537637 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #6325 on: February 13, 2020, 03:38:24 PM »
Jokingly:
Maybe Avatar 2 will be a court drama where the Cat people are trying to secure their legal rights.

Picturing the cat people in suits and a courtroom that's entirely too small for them is giving me the lolz.

It will be Bee Movie all over again...let the meme times roll!
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6326 on: February 13, 2020, 04:10:30 PM »
Now that I think of it this is exactly the plot of I, Robot, Amistad, and the Star Trek:TNG episode The Measure of a Man. So, given that Avatar was just a ripoff of other movies this is just what we should expect. But that courtroom 3d is going to be fantastic.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 04:13:51 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6327 on: February 13, 2020, 07:50:36 PM »
Thor: Dark World

I actually watched this a few weeks ago on Disney+. I’ve been meaning to post a write up except I barely even want to. It was so remarkably unremarkable.

The fight against Malekith wasn’t even cool. It was Red SFX, the scene. I expected to hate this movie based on comments from others. I didn’t. To me, it merely exists.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6328 on: February 13, 2020, 11:56:16 PM »
Thor: Dark World

I actually watched this a few weeks ago on Disney+. I’ve been meaning to post a write up except I barely even want to. It was so remarkably unremarkable.

The fight against Malekith wasn’t even cool. It was Red SFX, the scene. I expected to hate this movie based on comments from others. I didn’t. To me, it merely exists.

also unmemorable. Like I don't remember what happens. I remember liking it more than I thought when I watched it, but only because the ending. Can't remember any other details of it.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6329 on: February 14, 2020, 12:14:27 AM »
Yeah, the first two Thor movies weren't great.  But Ragnarok was fantastic.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6330 on: February 14, 2020, 03:04:08 PM »
I thought the first one was alright, but when I watched it my thoughts were: "This is just Master's of the Universe, but a little better"

I loved Ragnarok. Only in the MCU can a third movie be the best in a series. Captain America: Civil War, Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War were all better than their predecessors.

Ready or Not: I didn't expect it to be so good. It was funny as hell and I can even relate to unwanted in-laws. I just can't shake the feeling the Samara Weaving looks like Margot Robbie.

I too enjoyed Ready or Not. Samara Weaving is Red Skull and Agent Smith's niece. Much like Margot Robbie she is also Australian.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:08:13 PM by ThePerm »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6331 on: February 14, 2020, 05:47:40 PM »
Flight of the Navigator (streamed via D+) was much better than I expected.

Watching brought up a lot of old memories from the 80s when I first saw it - although was still interesting because I didn't remember the plot at all. The movie has a pretty good concept and works well enough, but it's a shame that there isn't much danger/adventure when the kid is reunited with his ship; the time spent together isn't really impactful or even that interesting, which is a real letdown since you feel like that could've made the movie something special.

The film is definitely dated, but the acting is fine and story manages to stay just interesting enough. I enjoyed seeing Sarah Jessica Parker play a character that didn't annoy me, and hearing Peewee Herman's voice (I know; not his real name) was a definite throw-back.

Overall it gets one thumb up. A pleasant stroll down memory lane. If you don't have any memories of watching as a kid, harder to recommend... although the sci-fi story might draw some in even if the payoff is pretty slim.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6332 on: February 14, 2020, 06:36:08 PM »
Its funny, as between Captain America First Avenger and Thor I was more excited for Thor but after watching them I preferred Cap's film over Thor's. I didn't hate Dark World, but it was definitely a middle-of-the-road film. Not as weak as Hulk, but not much better. The only things I could readily recall after the first viewing was the bit where everyone was warping around in the climax and the gag where people were shouting out the names of the people flying around (Thor!...Mjolnir!) and the feeling that Christopher Eccleston was squandered as an actor. Though playing the villain in a Marvel film kinda sets you up to be squandered unless you are related to a hero (Loki, Killmonger) or are named Thanos.
My Game Collection

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6333 on: February 15, 2020, 09:49:30 PM »
Birds of Prey  6.5  Meh. Storytelling was a mess. It's trying so hard to be Deadpool and Kill Bill it forgot to actually be funny. If I were to re-write the story I'd tell the story from Black Canary's perspective or work harder to make it an ensemble movie. It's kind of ironic to see Ewan McGregor there because Transpotting was better version of this movie.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:51:16 PM by ThePerm »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6334 on: February 15, 2020, 10:22:04 PM »
Finally got around to watching the good Captain Marvel movie, aka Shazam, and...yeah, that was pretty entertaining. I feel like the film is a bit long so I would have trimmed back some of the scenes with Captain Marvel being arrogant and selfish. Also, the designs of the 7 Deadly Sins were just awful and generic, and their CG was incredibly unconvincing.

That said, I thought the acting was great, the fight scenes very well-paced, and I really wasn't expecting to see the extended Marvel family this early in the "franchise." I'm really curious whether they're going to use the "Mary Marvel" name for one of them considering DC can't actually use the "Captain Marvel" name.

The humor in the film was pretty on-point, and I really appreciated the scene in the mall where you got to see all the classic-style DC merchandise ("I'm Batman") and the nod to Big. I appreciate DC allowing their directors to make more than 1 style of film (unlike the MCU, where every film is "what if everyone was a quipping, sarcastic Spider-Man except Spider-Man?"), but I can certainly enjoy a popcorn film like this every once in a while.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6335 on: February 28, 2020, 04:28:53 PM »
Candyman(Original) - 8/10 That was good. I didn't watch it when it came out because I was 8. I missed out on this one. I should have watched it sooner, but it was off my radar.

edit Candyman(Original) - 9/10 The theme is stuck in my head.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 01:05:17 AM by ThePerm »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6336 on: March 08, 2020, 04:05:15 AM »
Yesterday 8/10 Solid alternate reality romantic comedy.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6337 on: March 15, 2020, 04:04:57 PM »
Finally got around to watching my copy of Aquaman. That was thoroughly enjoyable. I don't understand why people **** on this movie so much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6338 on: March 16, 2020, 02:58:20 AM »
I thought Aquaman was fun, if not a little stupid at parts.
only part that I had a gripe with that sticks with me was the whole Pinocchio moment all the way up to the book at the fountain. Other than that, i remember having fun with the rest of the movie. It wasn't great, but certainly enjoyable and definite turn around from the majority of DCEU movies that came before it.

However I just watched Sonic the Hedgehog, and I have to say that even thought I came in with relatively low expectations, and more or less expected a Jim Carey Hamfest (in which it didn't disappoint, especially at the end. LMAO), but I was pleasantly surprised in how much I didn't hate this movie. The Sonic redesign helped a TON, but the character himself was pretty enjoyable overall. There were some laughs to be had, and the action was fun, and dare I say I actually liked the movie.
TBH I heard it was pretty good for what it was, so my expectations were I guess set slightly below what I ended up with, and that was an enjoyable videogame movie, where i think the sequel may be the Jim Carey Hamfest we only got glimpses of in this first movie. Assuming of course it gets a sequel. And my daughter opposed watching this movie since the day it came out, but I finally talked her into watching something new we hadn't seen yet, and she ended up liking it as well.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6339 on: March 22, 2020, 08:43:01 PM »
(Posting this in the correct thread)

Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)

Yikes. This movie is a mess.

This is like three movies mashed into one: Harley Quinn's emancipation (which is not earned), Birds of Prey origin (also not earned), and whatever the hell Black Mask was doing.

1. How is Warner Bros going to make a Harley Quinn emancipation movie without The Joker? That's who she's emancipating from. That can and should be a whole movie, possibly even two given Suicide Squad barely covered anything so to get the full effect, we need to see that relationship for more than a few flashbacks then Quinn needs to free herself from her abuser. Also, the emancipation part could really use Poison Ivy. I didn't know anything about this movie before I watched it, but the whole time, I was waiting for Poison Ivy to show up especially since they shoved Huntress in there for maybe five minutes of total screen time.

2. There are four origin stories in this: Black Canary, Renee Montoya, Huntress, and Cassandra Cain. Black Canary and Renee Montoya got the most screen time of the limited screen time left over from Harley Quinn. If they want to make a Birds of Prey movie, just make a Birds of Prey movie. Then, if they really want Harley Quinn, add Harley Quinn later in a sequel to both movies. Also, how they decided to make a Birds of Prey movie without Barbara Gordon is beyond me. Finally, I generally like Rosie Perez as an actress. Unfortunately, I thought she was too old to be Renee Montoya.

3. Black Mask is just The Joker from Suicide Squad. They're both mob bosses. I didn’t think they did enough to make Black Mask more villainous than Harley Quinn. There’s one scene where he abused and embarrassed some random woman for laughing. It happens really late in the movie and seems so out of place. I know what they’re trying to do, but they’re doing it badly. It needs to happen earlier if they’re going to do it at all.

This movie really needed The Joker in order to work in any capacity. My understanding is Jared Leto wasn't available to film Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn). Fine, but don't make this movie until he is, or just cast someone else as The Joker. I didn't even like Jared Leto's Joker (did anyone?). At the same time, this movie really shouldn't happen without the character. It's so weird that they learned nothing from the dumpster fire that was Suicide Squad. The Joker so clearly should have been the main villain in that movie just like he should have been the main villain in this. It was all like right there on a platter yet they were like, "Hmmmmmmmmmmm, no. LOL."

Anyway, 90% of this movie is narrated. No. Just no.

The non-linear structure is confusing and doesn't add anything. That only works if the audience can follow what you're doing without narrating it to them and if there's a payoff. Neither of those things are true in Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn). Take Pulp Fiction for example. It's a movie that doesn't need to be told in chronological order and even benefits from not being told in order because each sequence is its own self-contained story that share certain characters. There are clear visual clues to piecing it together if you want (e.g. Jules and Vincent wearing Jimmy's dorky clothes in "Vincent Vega and Marsellus Wallace's Wife" then finding out why in "The Bonnie Situation"). Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) is just scenes seemingly thrown in a lottery ball tumbler then the editors decided to pick them at random and leave the film like that.

The action is so stupid and frustrating in this. Harley Quinn storms the police station by herself to find Cassandra Cain and only really gets away with it because the police in Gotham City are useless, oafy dipshits who have apparently never received police training before. Even Renee Montoya just fucking stands there gun drawn while Quinn throws the phone in the air and does this cartwheel kick into the phone which hits Montoya in the face. This, somehow, knocks Montoya out cold.

Black Mask sends other mercenaries to find Cain alive and the first thing they do is shoot in her direction with machine guns. They're actively shooting at Harley Quinn, but Cain is like right there.

I don't have the time or patience to run through all the dumb **** in this movie in depth. Why is Harley Quinn just walking around freely in broad daylight and playing roller derby? Batman isn't going to do literally anything about this? For some reason, Harley Quinn rescues a hyena at what is seemingly a regular pet store which then merely exists for the whole rest of the movie. It never does anything except violate Chekhov's Gun. Even when it supposedly dies, Harley Quinn never even really even grieves all that much. No one really tries to shoot Harley Quinn ever. They’re just holding guns and waiting for Harley Quinn to disarm them. The owner of this Chinese restaurant is introduced and built up as the only person who cares about Quinn, betrays her five minutes later, then just fucking drives away. He's just like "I have to go now. My planet needs me *slide whistle*". There's no comeuppance for that like... at all?

The moment when Harley Quinn, Black Canary, Renee Montoya, Huntress, and Cassandra Cain team up is just:

Harley Quinn: We should team up now.
Everyone: Yeah. Okay. Fine.

Towards the end of the big action set-piece, Renee Montoya gets shot in a bullet proof corset. She should be fine, but acts like she has stage four cancer and AIDS at the same time. Then, she hands Harley Quinn a gun and says, "I trust you."

WHY? YOU'RE A DETECTIVE AND HARLEY QUINN MURDERS PEOPLE! WHAT IS HAPPENING.............

I digress. I like Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. Her talent is just wasted here, just like it was wasted in Suicide Squad. Huntress was lowkey one of my favorite characters in the DCAU. I just like the character, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead did as good a job as she could give the weak... everything in this movie. Black Canary was fine. Seemed a little out of character, and also, she uses her Canary Cry once. Just once. It blows dudes away, dozens of feet in the air yet Harley Quinn just roller skates through it with her fingers in her ears beca...

I can't do this anymore. Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) is laughably terrible. You may get something out of it if you go in with the right mindset. It's going to be a bad time, but it may be so bad its good as long as you understand it’s going to be a bad time.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #6340 on: March 23, 2020, 01:23:16 PM »
I can't do this anymore. Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) is laughably terrible. You may get something out of it if you go in with the right mindset. It's going to be a bad time, but it may be so bad its good as long as you understand it’s going to be a bad time.

So it's pretty much business as usual for another DC Universe movie?
That is a license deserving of better treatment. It's gotten to the point where even if I want to like the film, and go in with low expectations, I leave disappointed more often than not...  :(

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6341 on: April 02, 2020, 08:59:12 PM »
Under the Silver Lake I still don't know what to think of this movie. I watched it last night and its the kind of movie that sticks with you and I find myself thinking about it still. On the other hand, there is some reprehensible characters in the film. Actually most of the characters. Watch it on Amazon Prime, and tell me how many stars I should give it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6342 on: April 03, 2020, 12:58:36 AM »
I've probably watched Under the Silver Lake 5 times now. Something about it. It's like a ghost story without ghosts.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 01:00:40 AM by ThePerm »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6343 on: April 04, 2020, 08:48:05 PM »
Had the rare opportunity to sit down with my best friend today and watch some stuff I've had sitting on my shelf for a while:

Bumblebee - You know, it's a shame that Michael Bay so thoroughly killed the Transformers Live Action series, because if the series had put out something like Bumblebee sooner, maybe it would still be around. It's a real sign of the status of the franchise that I can post that Bumblebee bucks the trend of LA Transformers by actually being visually and narratively coherent. The Transformers look distinctive. I can tell them apart. When they fight, I can actually follow what's going on, as opposed to something like Dark of the Moon, which was so ungodly boring I actually fell asleep during the final battle sequence.

It's not an amazing film. It's WAY too happy to be set in the 80s and to shell out the royalties for period licensed music (although the appearance of one particular 80s pop song made me laugh because I really didn't think the film would get that Meta). The big problem I have with the film is there there are really 2 different films running simultaneously: E.T. and a Transformers film. They don't go together well. Overall, though, I found the movie quite enjoyable.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - That was way, WAY better than it had ANY right to be, and was oddly very reverent towards the original 90s film. I had to smile that the filmmakers actually went out of their way to preserve continuity with the 1st film. It's a dumb, dumb movie, but it KNOWS it's a dumb movie and I had a great time with it. I appreciated the little touches, such as the characters finding one of the original Jumanji board game pieces within the game, as well as the original game board being visible when the camera panned out from the jungle.

Don't know if I'll bother with the sequel any time soon, though. I feel like there only "needed" to be one of these.

Well, Onward was available to stream, so we gave that a shot as well and it's...fine, I guess. "Meh" kind of sums up that movie in general. There's apparently a rule at Pixar that "whatever idea strikes you first with a concept, toss it out because that's what everyone will think of 1st". That rule was definitely not followed with Onward, which is as standard a "road trip movie" as you can get. The beats are exactly what you'd think they are, and the lesson is exactly what you'd think it would be. The movie coasts along on its setting, which just isn't enough to carry it over the finish line. This movie underperformed for a reason, and that reason wasn't the virus.

It's a shame, too, because the side story with the mother and Manticore was actually my favorite part of the movie. I kept wishing for them to cut back to it, because it was WAY more entertaining than the main story.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6344 on: April 06, 2020, 02:39:01 PM »

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - That was way, WAY better than it had ANY right to be, and was oddly very reverent towards the original 90s film. I had to smile that the filmmakers actually went out of their way to preserve continuity with the 1st film. It's a dumb, dumb movie, but it KNOWS it's a dumb movie and I had a great time with it. I appreciated the little touches, such as the characters finding one of the original Jumanji board game pieces within the game, as well as the original game board being visible when the camera panned out from the jungle.

Don't know if I'll bother with the sequel any time soon, though. I feel like there only "needed" to be one of these.

I've not watched either of the two new Jumanji films. This is the first I am hearing that they don't break continuity with the original. One thing I am wondering, does Van Pelt make some sort of return (even as a descendant of the original character or something?)
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6345 on: April 06, 2020, 05:01:21 PM »

I've not watched either of the two new Jumanji films. This is the first I am hearing that they don't break continuity with the original. One thing I am wondering, does Van Pelt make some sort of return (even as a descendant of the original character or something?)

I believe so. The villain of Welcome to the Jungle has his name IIRC.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6346 on: April 06, 2020, 05:29:57 PM »
Finally caught Yesterday, which I missed during its theatrical run and have been meaning to come back to for awhile. I'm pleased to have watched a movie that I enjoyed and left me calm afterwards instead of blowing up the entire world in the process.

Thing that most surprised me about it is that it's LONG, almost 2 hours! In a good way too in the sense that there's a lot of events driving the story forward and every moment showcases that this is a very solid cast and crew... or maybe I'm biased since this is a British film and I'm a big fan of their talent pool. apparently the movie has another 23 minutes of deleted or alternate scenes, so wow, it could've been longer!

Also, I was surprised that the film was more  interested in being wholesome than punitive. It could've very easily been made to wreak vengeance on the main character, which is very much his fear for a good part of it, but it ultimately goes in a whole other direction entirely, which is a win for positive lessons instead of negative ones.

Also, I really find Kate McKinnon a ton of fun and I would love to see her in more movie work (I even liked her in Ghostbusters where I place most of the blame on what must've been a horrendous script). And the many covers of Beatles songs are always enjoyable because, well, it's Beatles music.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6347 on: April 19, 2020, 08:14:10 PM »
I watched Annihilation with Natalie Portman. People were calling this a smart sci-fi movie, but I found it to be a horror movie of questionable intelligence. All in all it wasn't terrible, It's nice to see an original big budget movie from Hollywood, but if you want smart sci-fi, go watch Arrival. If you watch this film take it all as a metaphor and not reality.

time for rants:
Why not send in an all terrain robot attached to a cord to collect samples? They would have tested the DNA of the samples and figured it out early. Or even send a person 30 feet in then back out and put them in quarantine for a month while you test his blood? Did they try tunnelling under? Flying over? And the alien got taken out with a phosphorus grenade? They could have dropped a fire bomb on the lighthouse and been done with the mess.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #6348 on: April 19, 2020, 09:22:15 PM »
I watched Annihilation with Natalie Portman. People were calling this a smart sci-fi movie, but I found it to be a horror movie of questionable intelligence. All in all it wasn't terrible, It's nice to see an original big budget movie from Hollywood, but if you want smart sci-fi, go watch Arrival. If you watch this film take it all as a metaphor and not reality.

time for rants:
Why not send in an all terrain robot attached to a cord to collect samples? They would have tested the DNA of the samples and figured it out early. Or even send a person 30 feet in then back out and put them in quarantine for a month while you test his blood? Did they try tunnelling under? Flying over? And the alien got taken out with a phosphorus grenade? They could have dropped a fire bomb on the lighthouse and been done with the mess.

Agree on all points. Don't regret my time watching it, but not a film that I found memorable or particularly exciting.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6349 on: April 19, 2020, 09:27:46 PM »
time for rants:
For BNM