Author Topic: So, we know what's freely coming to the Wii U for the year. That's SUPER!  (Read 14683 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
I'm likely to end up with all these games eventually, but I'll be getting a Wii U for Mario Kart 8.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
There is still a chance new games will be announced at TGS, I don't think from Nintendo directly but maybe third parties have something in store.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
I would also be interested hear from those people who haven't already purchased a Wii U. Have any of these announcements convinced you to purchase one?
I had a friend over after work to watch the Direct presentation with me. He's never really "experienced e3", so his views on what to expect were set fairly low. Also, keep in mind that he watched both Microsoft and Sony conferences with me yesterday, too.

Back-story on my friend: He's a very artsy person. He likes Nintendo...sorta, LOVES Pokémon, is a competitive Smash player, but typically plays his PS3 for Guitar Hero and various third-party titles. He doesn't know much about the industry other than he's gone on record saying, "I've noticed more and more games are looking brownish and greyish lately." He plays a lot of Call of Duty with his younger brother and cousin. My friend is 21.

First thing shown is Pokémon - he spazzes out over the game. Can't wait to play it. Was already aware of the new Fairy type. Excited. Super Mario 3D Land plays out - he's impressed, but not so much by the graphics...more on the new cat suit powerup. Says it looks fun. Next big reveal is Mario Kart 8 - his jaw hits the floor and says, "I can't believe how incredible that looks!" Was in awe. Wii Party U / Wii Fit U - doesn't really care for these. Art Academy software shows - is in disbelief how great a lot of that demoed artwork looks. Tells me I'll really be able to go crazy with my #SmashBrosInitiative Miiverse posts. (I liked that he remembered that...haha.) Wind Waker HD - says he likes Zelda games. Ocarina remake on 3DS was his first foray into the series. WWHD really blew him away (no pun intended). It's at this point he says, "Man, I have GOT to get a Wii U soon." Next is DKC:Tropical Freeze - game has him smiling ear-to-ear. Says it looks incredible. LOVES the fur effect on DK. "Yep. I'm getting a Wii U." X trailer plays - sits up in his seat. Jaw hits the floor again. Says the game looks as good as the games shown yesterday during MS and Sony's conferences. (I don't care what anyone says, Wii U can hold its own against MS and Sony's machines.) At this point, his hype meter has reached its peak, btw. And we all know what game is shown next...Super Smash Bros. - Same thing. Jaw hits the floor. Villager character has him LOLing. Says game looks unreal. (I tell him that Sakurai typically goes all out, and is quite good at HD development - after all, Brawl's assets were developed in HD). Oh, but then Mega Man debuts in Brawl... (keep in mind, I was betting before we watched this Direct, that the Man that is Mega would debut in Brawl.) ...my friend flips a freaking lid, stands up and high-fives me, and just goes overall crazy for the game. "Man, yeah. That's gonna be the best Smash Bros. ever!" Reiterates that he's going to buy a Wii U this fall. Really wants Mario Kart 8 and Wind Waker HD.

So, yeah. Nintendo's Direct really had a positive influence over a gamer who typically doesn't follow Nintendo and their games. I'd say they did a good job. There's a lot to look forward to over the next 6 months leading into autumn.

EDIT: Forgot to include Wondeful 101 and Bayonetta 2 in that summary, but my friend is excited for those games. Said W101 looks like Pikmin on acid, and Bayonetta is a game he could see himself getting in to.

Why am I more excited because of your friend? The herd mentality is amazing. People just feed off each other. And I admit for the first hour or so the negative reaction got to me. Now though I am excited as all heck!

This was a great E3 and we still might get more news and info today and tomorrow. It's amazing how entitled we feel to certain things like surprises. We want new franchises and we have them even if they aren't made by Nintendo's in house. Bayonetta is still in its infancy and W101 is brand spanning new and both look like an absolute blast! The end result is ultimately what many people want, exclusive "hard core" games.

I am very disappointed in no Wii U Sports though. Very very disappointed.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
I'm ecstatic that there's no Wii U Sports. Let the third parties deal with that sort of shovelware.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Racth's friend shows a different perspective and shows the challenge of making a console that truly appeals to everyone.  He was very excited about Wind Waker... but he only just started playing Zelda with OoT on the 3DS.  Well no **** he's impresssed.  Wind Waker is for him effectively a brand new game.  I have not paid the slightest attention to it because I have it on my Gamecube and beat it years ago.  To me there is no point in buying it again but to Racht's friend that would be worthy of a Wii U purchase.

I see Nintendo's lineup and am just kind of bored of same thing, but I've been a Nintendo fan for a long time so I know these old franchises really well.  For someone with less of a history with Nintendo these games are a bigger deal because for them they're fresh.  I want novelty and new experiences.  Racht's friend can get that from these games but I can't.  So while I wouldn't suggest Nintendo completely abandon their old franchises, they need to have something new for those that have already heard the joke, unless they're content with losing their old fans and replacing them with younger ones.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
I would also be interested hear from those people who haven't already purchased a Wii U. Have any of these announcements convinced you to purchase one?

For me, the answer would be no, but I'm interested to hear from others.

I find this thread interesting and have been meaning to particiapte but wanted to make sure I had double checked everything before sharing my list.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'll probably buy a Wii U at some point since I am just a one console guy and that console is Nintendo made. Here are the games I am for sure purchasing with my Wii U now and when they release.

Will Get in order of most interested in:

X
Batman: Arkham Asylum
NintendoLand
Pikman 3
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Batman: Arkham Origins
Mario Kart 8
Smash Bros.
New Super Mario Bros. U.
Earthbound
Mario 3D World
Wonderful 101

Games I would potentially get depending on more news or a good price point:

New Super Luigi U
Rayman Legends
Sonic Lost World
Sonic Allstar Racing
Game & Wario
Injustice
Wii Party U
Lego City
Wind Waker

So, that's 12 in the will buy section with some others in the maybe section. There's definitely software out there that I would get some usage on the system. My biggest hurdle is Nintendo's history. It always seems that if I buy early, either some cool bundle or design will come out for a system later, the price will drop or a revision will be released and I'll wish I had waited. That might actually be the biggest reason of me holding back from buying a Wii U and less a software complaint.

I waited a long time in hopes of a black Wii getting released and when it appeared it was never going to happen and there was still no announcement on it, I finally bought a Wii like a year after it was out. Of course, a black Wii was released. So was a Wii unit bundled with a Mario Soundtrack and NSMB which I'd have taken over Wii Sports which I hardly ever touched. Of course, the price eventually dropped and they revised the controllers to include Wii Motion Plus in them.

Then there was the 3DS which I had high hopes about since I actually wanted to take advantage of the Eshop having pretty much bypassed handheld games in favor of console games until the DS system came along and was the successor of what I sometimes think is Nintendo's best system to date. We know what happened there. It took a long time for the Eshop to get rolling, price cut and then a revision with the 3DS XL. Sure I got some free GBA games and NES games but honestly I already owned half the GBA games and NES games do not interest me aside from a couple I own already.

With the Wii U market share at the way it is at, I'm really expecting one of those things to occur and for once, I want to be able to take advantage of them.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
For the WiiU rest of year: Just preordered W101, 3D World, Donkey Kong Country. Tempted to go in for Zelda, but it's coming out the same month as Pokemon which will consume my soul gaming time for a good month. Probably going to wait and see with Rayman and maaaaaaaaaaaybe Watch Dogs.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline JTurner82

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
In spite of the circumstances regarding the third party support and rough start, I'd say this is a great lineup for WiiU this year.  Yes, I would have liked more third party titles too (although something tells me we MIGHT eventually get Kingdom Hearts 3 in the future), but the selection is not TOO bad.  It's only in the context of Sony and Microsoft that is seems to be otherwise.

But Nintendo's lineup has some software that will push systems off the shelves.  That's what the system really needs.  The more systems sold, the more games we get from all sides:  first party, third party, indies.

Anyway, I am very much looking forward to many of these titles.  I've already preordered a whole bunch of them.

Physical Purchases:
Sonic Lost World
X
Bayonetta 2
Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Batman Arkham Origins
Wonderful 101
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Assassin's Creed IV
Watch Dogs
Rayman Legends

Digital eShop Purchases:
Two Brothers
Ducktales Remastered
DKC
Smash Bros.
Mario 3D
Zelda WW HD

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
I wouldn't be surprised if Monster Hunter 4 was announced for the Wii U considering that Wii U sales are not that healthy in Japan and the fact that MH3 Ultimate sold very well for the Wii U.

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/05/monster-hunter-3-wii-u/

There might be a very good chance that Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 will be announced for the Wii U considering that those franchises are popular in Japan and could potentially spur Wii U sales in that country.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline JTurner82

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
I wouldn't be surprised if Monster Hunter 4 was announced for the Wii U considering that Wii U sales are not that healthy in Japan and the fact that MH3 Ultimate sold very well for the Wii U.

There might be a very good chance that Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 will be announced for the Wii U considering that those franchises are popular in Japan and could potentially spur Wii U sales in that country.

MH4 WiiU I absolutely see happening.  That would give the system a much needed push.  And yes, there IS a chance for both FFXV and KH3 to come to WiiU, but Square-Enix has yet to comment on them.  They didn't exactly rule it out.  I DO think it's pretty silly that they are planning to put it on XBox One even in Japan, though; that decision is going to be absolutely disastrous!  XBox has always done poorly in Japan, and there's no way these games will sell on that system.  XBone will probably crash and burn, too.  So what to do?  Port it to WiiU, of course!

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile

MH4 WiiU I absolutely see happening.  That would give the system a much needed push.  And yes, there IS a chance for both FFXV and KH3 to come to WiiU, but Square-Enix has yet to comment on them.  They didn't exactly rule it out.  I DO think it's pretty silly that they are planning to put it on XBox One even in Japan, though; that decision is going to be absolutely disastrous!  XBox has always done poorly in Japan, and there's no way these games will sell on that system.  XBone will probably crash and burn, too.  So what to do?  Port it to WiiU, of course!

A price cut and bundles in Japan would help spur sales. 

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
So... No one's getting Mario and Sonic at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games? :(

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile

Without a proper online multiplayer, I won't.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central

I liked Winter Olympics and London, especially the Dream Events, but I'm interested in seeing the game some more before I say yes to it.

Anyway, this year is going to make my wallet broke, and that's just Wii U alone.

Pikmin 3
New Super Luigi U
Rayman Legends
The Wonderful 101
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Sonic: Lost World
Wii Party U
Super Mario 3D World

Yikes!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
Definite buys.

Pikmin 3
Sonic Lost World - This looks more interesting to me then Mario 3D World and DK
Wonderful 101

Possible buys depending on more information being released.

Wind Waker HD
Splinter Cell
Watch_Dogs
Assassin's Creed 4

The last two really depend on how they look on the Wii U verse the other systems as I plan on getting a PS4 if not at launch sometime in the early part of 2014. So I can wait to get them on that system.

I have to say as a side note. No matter how great Mario Kart 8 looks. If the damn blue shells behave like they always have I refuse to buy it. I stopped playing Mario Kart 7 because of that BS. I don't want to be punished constantly for racing well. So I'm not even bothering to look forward to that game at the moment until they make what is going on with the blue shells clear.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:15:34 PM by NeoStar9X »

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
I wanna play too!

Future release-day purchases:

X
Super Mario 3D World
New Super Luigi U
Pikmin 3
Mario Kart 8

Future purchases (likely not on release day):

The Wonderful 101
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Rayman Legends
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Sonic: Lost World
Lego City: Undercover
Darksiders 2

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
Day 1... Mario Kart 8

This year... Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, NSLU

I'm interested in a bunch of other games, but I'm not in a hurry to run out and buy them all.  Does Deus Ex use the Wiimote?  I'm probably in the minority, but I don't like FPS and the Wiimote helps me overcome that to a certain extent.  Which is ironic because most games I hate having Wiimote controls tacked on. 

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Man, I am really torn about grabbing a Wii U right now. As I mentioned in the amazing deals thread, a store is selling the deluxe model at 299.97 and I'm really thinking I should take it at that price. And I know if I don't, I won't be willing to buy it in the future unless I can get it at that price or lower.

For people on the fence or wanting to see the Wii U lower your price, would you take this deal right now?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Man, I am really torn about grabbing a Wii U right now. As I mentioned in the amazing deals thread, a store is selling the deluxe model at 299.97 and I'm really thinking I should take it at that price. And I know if I don't, I won't be willing to buy it in the future unless I can get it at that price or lower.

For people on the fence or wanting to see the Wii U lower your price, would you take this deal right now?

My attitude is to wait for the games you want on the off-chance of a price cut happening before then.  It makes no sense to buy a new videogame system and let it sit.  It can sit and do nothing on the store shelf without you having to pay for it.  Not only could Nintendo cut the price but they could also offer some different bundle in the future that appeals to your tastes.  Get it now only if you feel you'll make good use of it right now.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile

I was in a similar boat with the Target basic set at $240. I ended up going for it, and am mostly okay with the decision (ended up being pretty "eh" on NSMBU). I've definitely got enough to play until more stuff comes out later this year, though again, nothing mindblowing so far (Runner 2, ACIII). I wouldn't have gone for the deluxe at $300, though. Just don't care about Nintendo Land.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Well, games I would get and play would be NintendoLand (already included) Batman: Arkham Asylum, NSMBWU and Pikmin 3 as well as Earthbound when they get released. As well, I'm catching up on Wii games I've missed and Wii U can play Wii games so I could shelf the old console and just continue on using it. I know I'd get use out of it but there could be a better bundle as you mention.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
Another tip: I got NintendoLand used for $20 at GameStop. I really like the game, but in terms of dollars, it doesn't seem to add much value to the bundle.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
I  find myself deeply offended that Killer id Dead is not coming to the Wii U.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
I  find myself deeply offended that Killer id Dead is not coming to the Wii U.

Don't know much about it so I don't care. I want no more heroes 3. If that doesn't come to Wii u, I'm going to Japan and find Suda myself...
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
The sooner that No More Heroes 3 gets here the better.