Author Topic: Aliens: Colonial Marines Won't Be Coming to WiiU  (Read 5216 times)

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
Aliens: Colonial Marines Won't Be Coming to WiiU
« on: April 05, 2013, 01:54:53 PM »
http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/5/4187592/aliens-colonial-marines-wii-u-canceled

Maybe it would be more efficient to put game cancellation announcements for Wii U in one big thread, otherwise this forum might end up flooded with these threads. This is getting depressing.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Won't Be Coming to WiiU
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 02:19:04 PM »
In the particular case of this game, the Wii U has dodged a bullet.

Offline JTurner82

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 02:22:22 PM »
In a rare instance, this game cancellation is actually not a bad thing altogether.  Especially if the final product really was that terrible.  No way do we wanna see software of such abominable quality plague a system like WiiU.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 02:27:02 PM »
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 02:30:39 PM »
I love how some people on Kotaku (commenters) are somehow trying to turn this into a bad thing.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 02:45:27 PM »
Two ways to look at this:

Bad - The Wii U needs every game it can get, especially "major" third party releases. The more titles get canned, the weaker the overall library is, and the less confidence consumers and publishers will have in Wii U.

Meh - The game was one of the worst reviewed titles of 2013 so far, and almost universally panned by gamers and critics alike. Who was lining up to buy this junk?

Count me in for the second category.  It's not good for Wii U to see any games get cancelled, but it's really hard to say that Wii U owners are worse off in this particular instance.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 04:12:08 PM »
So this DOES make it the definitive version of the game then, the one you don't have to play!

Kidding, of course.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 05:39:05 PM »
I'm going to assume that Nintendo is attempting a new "games-free" strategy for this generation.  Let's see how it works out.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 08:00:12 PM »
In this situation it's really a good thing.  And it makes sense.  The game's reputation is totally poisoned.  It would cost a lot to fix the game for the Wii U and, even then, they have to fight against the game's negative image to convince people that THIS version doesn't suck.

This Wii U has not been having good news lately with this sort of thing but this is not really a negative for the Wii U.  The game has ZERO marketability now.  If the Wii U was the original version and there was some Xbox 360 port in the works THAT would have gotten cancelled.

Do you know who spends time and time propping up a game with a ruined reputation?  Square Enix with FFXIV.  Sega is being incredibly smart to just cut this sucker loose and pretend it never existed.

... except for when they sue Gearbox which I would have done already if I was in charge of Sega.  The whole saga is pretty much fraud.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 09:14:20 PM »
So this DOES make it the definitive version of the game then, the one you don't have to play!

Kidding, of course.
its the only version that WORKS the way its supposed to

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 09:36:58 PM »
FINALLY the Wii U has an exclusive the other platforms wished they had! It should be an exclusive for a while now, at least until a judge rules that it has to be brought to the other platforms as well.  ;)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 04:27:14 PM »
as an Aliens fan I was interested in this game, but it did get bad reviews. Gearbox is a decent studio. I guess this wasn't their best
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 05:09:52 PM »
Apparently, it wasn't theirs at all. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 09:53:18 PM »
Gearbox is a decent studio. I guess this wasn't their best

Not their best:  Brothers in Arms: Double Time (Wii)
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 02:53:43 PM »
... except for when they sue Gearbox which I would have done already if I was in charge of Sega.  The whole saga is pretty much fraud.
My guess is they are still putting all their ducks in a row.  It's better to get all the facts together before going forward than to just go at it without a shred of evidence.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 10:38:50 PM »
this was one of those games that should have just been left after the development hell it went through

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 02:02:27 PM »
If Gear Box and SEGa were willing to take the game back to the drawing board and make the game better by improving a lot of its faults then I would be willing to buy this game. As it stands now, and as a massive Alien fan, this game is not better than a coaster. The Aliens game for DS is twenty times better than this one and that is the one that I will play for now.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 06:16:20 PM »
If I was Sega, I would conisder, putting the cool demo version up for download on the Eshop, for like 3-5 bucks.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 06:22:52 PM »
I wonder how close the Wii U version was to being completed? If the game was done or close to done, I would want Sega to at least throw it up on the eShop. Even if the game is bad, it's better to have it available than not to have it at all. And putting it up on the eShop means Sega would make back some of the money they spent on it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 07:02:05 PM »
I wonder how close the Wii U version was to being completed? If the game was done or close to done, I would want Sega to at least throw it up on the eShop. Even if the game is bad, it's better to have it available than not to have it at all. And putting it up on the eShop means Sega would make back some of the money they spent on it.

The big question is whether the game is worth $59.99 at this point. There is no way that I would pay more than twenty dollars for this game as it stands this moment. If Gear Box and SEGA went back and perfected the game then I would be okay with this if they put it on the eShop. However, it will never be worth more than $29.99 considering the amount of failure the game has incured since it was released.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.