Author Topic: Monolith Software title blowout!  (Read 4525 times)

Offline Dragona Akehi

• Staff Writer
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Monolith Software title blowout!
« on: September 14, 2005, 03:07:32 PM »
Xenosaga I & II, Baten Kaitos II, oh my!

This weeks Famitsu reveals that three new Monotlith Software games are coming to Nintendo systems near you.    

Baten Kaitos gets the prequel treatment as Nintendo decides to publish Baten Kaitos II for the GameCube. Asides from being set twenty years prior to the events in Baten Kaitos, not much is known about the title. The kicker is that the game is supposed to come out December 2005.    

The story centric Xenosaga series is coming to the DS -- remade in a 2D format. Expect long cutscenes and plenty of FMV cinematics. The game will also feature a password code to interact with the new Xenosaga III title for PS2.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Monolith Software title blowout!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 03:46:24 PM »
DS/PS2 connectivity?  What universe have I stepped into?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 04:11:26 PM »
DS/PS2 connectivity.  PSP/Xbox 360 conncectivity.  PS3/GIZMONDO?

WHO KNOWS
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Monolith Software title blowout!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 04:42:50 PM »
Interesting. I'm guessing Baten Kaitos must've had at least decent sales in Japan to warrant a sequel. I believe it got lost during the holiday rush, as well as being overshadowed by Tales of Symphonia. Its 19.99 now isn't it? I should pick it up one of these days...

The game will also feature a password code to interact with the new Xenosaga III title for PS2.

If they wanted true connectivity, why not make it for the PSP? Because the cinematics would so long that it might drain the battery too quickly? In any case, its an odd cross promotion. Do they hope it'll prompt DS owners' to pick up a PS2? Will it entice PS2 gamers to pick up a DS? This ought to be good.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 05:02:46 PM »

Originally posted by: Djunknown
Do they hope it'll prompt DS owners' to pick up a PS2? Will it entice PS2 gamers to pick up a DS? This ought to be good.

Or perhaps they said "I know, let's release versions of the game that connect across the best selling handheld and the best selling console". Hence, there is the greatest chance of people owning both the DS and the PS2 in Japan. However, I'm sure that reasoning would be too logical...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 05:06:26 PM »

Originally posted by: PGC NewsBot
Xenosaga I & II, Baten Kaitos II oh my!
The kicker is that the game is supposed to come out December 2005.  

Damn. That was QUICK. I haven't even broken the plastic seal on my copy of BK1.

Offline NotSoStu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 05:15:03 PM »
God damnit. So we're getting FF4 for GBA and Xenosaga for DS.

Why no Xenogears, Square-Enix?! So much better than Xenosaga.... ;_; (And Namco supposedly really ****'d up Xenogears with Episode 2)
i haven't used this in years why is it the second result when you search my name asdfadsfasfa

Offline NW

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 05:41:12 PM »
That's a blessing. I'd love to have 70 more hours of Baten Kaitos goodness to tide me over next year. Even though there was so much to do in the first game, I felt sad once it was complete. Yay for BKII!
vwoot

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 11:56:49 PM »
Stu you know how Xenogears was totally awesome for the first dozen hours or so and they relly began to suck. That was when the entire team left Squaresoft.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 07:30:31 AM »
I wonder if Nintendo or Sony can complain about the password between the two games.  Nintendo does not want to help sell PS2s and Sony does not want to help sell DS's.

Namco seems to still like Nintendo though so that's definitely a good thing.  Nintendo better have given them Rev dev kits.  If an exclusive Namco RPG is released on the Rev early on then it will help attract the RPG audience and thus set precedence of RPGs selling on the Rev.  Then Square Enix might give us something worth a damn instead of a dull hack 'n' slash with "Final Fantasy" written on the box.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 07:52:49 AM »
Nintendo won't complain, they're too busy sucking up to anyone willing to give them a third party game. Sony might but they know they'd risk losing Xenosaga to Nintendo that way.