Author Topic: Play It On Wii Mario Power Tennis Controls Detailed  (Read 5902 times)

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Play It On Wii Mario Power Tennis Controls Detailed
« on: December 04, 2008, 08:02:35 AM »
Nintendo keeps controls simple for the GameCube port in an effort to entice Wii Sports Tennis players.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=17295

Details of the latest Play It On Wii title have emerged from Japanese online magazine Inside-Games. Mario Power Tennis (known as Mario Tennis GC in Japan) will be released in the Japanese market in January 2009 and will sport a new control scheme to take advantage of the Wii's motion controller.    

Much like Wii Sports Tennis, players in Mario Power Tennis will swing the Wii Remote in the appropriate direction to achieve forehands and backhands.  Slices and topspin will also be executed via motion whilst the game's special attacks are made with the A and B buttons.    

Nintendo clarified that this version of Mario Tennis will not be compatible with any regular control-stick controllers, meaning the GameCube and Classic controllers are off the cards.    

Nintendo must be hoping to capitalise on the huge success of Wii Sports, which is not included with the Wii console in Japan and boasts an almost 1:1 tie ratio in sales.    

A North American and European release is expected, however there are no final details of a release date as yet.

I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Play It On Wii Mario Power Tennis Controls Detailed
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 09:24:39 AM »
Nintendo clarified that this version of Mario Tennis will not be compatible with any regular control-stick controllers, meaning the GameCube and Classic controllers are off the cards.

"Off the cards"...?

Well, anywhoo, I guess this kills any chance of getting to play the new DK:JB levels with the bongos then. :(
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 09:43:01 AM »
I don't get why they are forcing the use of the wiimote.

I understand what they are doing, but they should also understand that not everyone has 4 wiimotes.

If I want to play 2 wiimotes and 2 cube controller I should be allowed to do this.

Options are NEVER a bad thing.

Can you move mario around with nunchuck or will that be taken out to make it more casual like Wiisports?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 10:48:49 AM »
I'm excited about this regardless of the lack of classic controls.  This is one of the games I missed on Cube, but I loved the N64 game.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Monteblanco

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 10:55:51 AM »
No word regarding if the player will be able to control his/her character's positioning in the court?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 03:57:47 PM »
Options are NEVER a bad thing.

Warning. You sound dangerously like Ian.

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 06:19:27 PM »
Options can be a bad thing.  I think options work on the same principle as "Jack of all trades, master of none."

I'm interested in this one. 

Not interested in Jungle Beat Wii though.   Certainly not for $20.  wiimote and nunchuk can't replace the Bongos. 

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 06:32:09 PM »
Well, the controls worked fine on Game cube. And allowing Game cube controls did not ruin the Wii's next gen credibility with Brawl.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 06:43:36 PM »
cuz Brawl was last-gen.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 07:57:48 PM »
cuz Brawl was last-gen.

Brawl an great example of why options is great. So many different ways to play around. Think how boring Goldeneye would of been if you couldn't change what guns you used, or the levels you picked.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 08:34:45 PM »
cuz Brawl was last-gen.

Brawl an great example of why options is great. So many different ways to play around. Think how boring Goldeneye would of been if you couldn't change what guns you used, or the levels you picked.

I stuck with my trusty PP7 like 95% of the time and had a blast, so i dont see your point ;)

Did the same thing with Joannas Falcon in Perfect Dark
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 01:46:40 AM »
I haven't heard anything new coming out of Camelot recently, so while we're waiting... Mario Power Tennis 1.5?

I'll need to see some gameplay videos before passing firm judgement.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 10:54:32 PM »
Nintendo must be hoping to capitalise on the huge success of Wii Sports, which is not included with the Wii console in Japan and boasts an almost 1:1 tie ratio in sales.
uh, no...
the ratio is still great though, somewhat close to 2:1
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 12:27:38 AM »
Considering that Wii Tennis was f*cking fantastic (made me a believer that sports games on Wii would work greatly if done right) I am SOLD on Mario Tennis.

cuz Brawl was last-gen.

hehe...haha..hahahaha...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!111!!!1!!!!1

Uh no...Brawl is different. Brawl would never work with motion controls. The game NEEDED classic control support for it to work.

Tennis, on the other hand, has worked great with motion controls. Mario Power Tennis would work great with them.

Besides, the point of these ports is to play classic GC games WITH MOTION CONTROLS. Having classic controls would defeat the logic.

If you want to play MPT with the GC controller pick up the original. You CAN play it on the Wii...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 12:58:58 AM »
Leaving in the game's original control scheme as an option defeats logic?

Buying the game cube version WILL NOT SEND MONEY TO NINTENDO.

My mind is blown with such stupidity.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 01:23:39 AM »
Leaving in the game's original control scheme as an option defeats logic?

Buying the game cube version WILL NOT SEND MONEY TO NINTENDO.

My mind is blown with such stupidity.

Again, this is called "Play it on Wii". The point of the whole line is to play classic game with enhanced motion controls. Its the main selling point of the series. While having the option would have been nice it would have defeated the purpose of playing a classic with new controls.

I already played the original with classic controls, and it was great. The main reason I want to play it again is because it offers new controls at a budget price. And I'm sure I am not the only one that feels this way.

Call it stupidity, call it blind fanboyism, call it whatever you want. I accepted the "Play on Wii" series as Wii control heavy ports of classic games.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 01:33:09 AM »
An extra option can defeat the purpose of a game? How silly.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 02:35:46 AM »
Indeed it does.  Look at Brawl.  Nothing next-gen about using tired old control schemes.  harharharharharhar
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 03:30:53 AM »
They should do it that way so all those bitchy little hardcorz can't talk about how much more accurate their sure the controller is versus wii motion.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 04:33:45 AM »
People have to remember that the whole point of these "Play on Wii" games is to appeal to the people that never owned a Gamecube.  If somebody never owned a Gamecube, then why would they have a Gamecube controller?

In Nintendo's mind, they probably feel that the older fanbase that would play these with a Gamecube controller anyway, already bought them on the Gamecube when they were first released and as a result probably wouldn't buy the Wii version in the first place.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2008, 06:13:04 PM »
Brawl and the VC tell you what control schemes you can use. Does that make it less appealing to non-game cube owners?

Does it confuse nongamers that you can use the classic controller for NES games, even though there are all kinds of sticks and shoulder buttons on it?