Author Topic: G-Phone  (Read 19288 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: G-Phone
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 10:08:06 AM »
I never liked BlackBerries either before the Curve.  The Curve is CRAZY tiny for what it is (a smartphone with a full keyboard).  I could have bought the Pearl, but I didn't like the keyboard.  The old BlackBerries are hilariously big and clunky.  If you're looking for something small, then yeah, touchscreen is definitely your way to go.  Eliminates the need for having to dedicate real estate to the keyboard keys.

I'd describe the BlackBerry Browser as "functional" and nothing more.  Bear in mind that I bought the Curve for email (my corporate server is BlackBerry, so I can get work and personal email on the same device), not web browsing, so the browser is kind of a neat little extra.  However, it can't do Flash, so video is out of the question, and on EDGE it's pretty slow.  I can do what I need to do (get to GMail, use the NWR forums, check ESPN.com, etc.) but the entire experience is stripped-down.

I could install Opera, but that's just another application clogging up my BB's memory.  I've had it installed in the past and I always had crashes.  Maybe I'll try a newer version.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 12:24:42 AM »
The GPS functionality in the G1 is fucking awesome. You can use basically all of the functions at once (GPS, WiFi, 3G/Edge/etc/a, camera). You can turn on the GPS, point your phone at a building, and it will tell you the name of the building, and exactly how far away from it you are. I usually don't buy into hype for **** like this (the iPhone is nothing new, tons of phones do everything it does, and better, the only thing it as going for it is the fact that it's an iPod), but this phone (moreso Android) is fucking amazing.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 12:38:30 AM »
That's exactly what I'm saying. There are a lot of phones with the same features, but Android brings it all together.

I can't wait to see what people make.......
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 02:16:50 AM »
That GPS sounds awesome.  I was watching one review and they sure weren't fond of the camera, though.  They were talking about it taking a ridiculous amount of time to snap the photo, which is apparently a problem on all HTC phones.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 11:25:20 AM »
The GPS functionality in the G1 is fucking awesome. You can use basically all of the functions at once (GPS, WiFi, 3G/Edge/etc/a, camera). You can turn on the GPS, point your phone at a building, and it will tell you the name of the building, and exactly how far away from it you are. I usually don't buy into hype for **** like this (the iPhone is nothing new, tons of phones do everything it does, and better, the only thing it as going for it is the fact that it's an iPod), but this phone (moreso Android) is fucking amazing.

yeah that looks pretty awesome but i dont really know how much use i'll get out of it. I rarely get lost when finding somewhere new and traveling outside of my normal area (westhchester/manhattan county NY) would probably mean leaving tmobiles 3g coverage anyway so those features would be useless there.

Still i think i'm leaning towards this phone simply becuase i already have tmobile and it'll be easy to preorder it online and get it shipped to my house. I think it'll come to about $214? i dont remember, i checked the other night its somethign like that. My only real problem with is is texting will be hard to do in certain situations.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 11:40:30 AM »
Is it now the best T-Mobile smartphone, or do they have something better?  I'm not familiar with their phone selection.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 11:41:32 AM »
I wish there was a mobile phone stripped to its essential... a phone.

Already exists. Nokia 1100.

Is it now the best T-Mobile smartphone, or do they have something better?  I'm not familiar with their phone selection.

I know for T-Mobile UK it will sit alongside the better ones they sell. Now all they need to do is fix the 3G coverage - it's so bad in parts of London i have to force my phone to GSM-only to stop the network auto-pushing all my calls to voicemail and texts getting stuck somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 11:45:12 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 03:29:54 PM »

That's actually almost what I want, but it still has features that I would never use. In terms of features all I need is call display, and the ability to keep other's phone numbers for quick calling.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 03:35:03 PM »
Plus, the Nokia 1100 has a built-in flashlight.  Psh.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 03:36:52 PM »

That's actually almost what I want, but it still has features that I would never use. In terms of features all I need is call display, and the ability to keep other's phone numbers for quick calling.

You don't know what your missing. Sure they seem like stupid features at first, but once you have them in your pocket at all times, they get used..........alot.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 03:40:35 PM »
I'm not saying they're stupid, everyone gets a use out of what they have on their mobile phones. I just have no need for them. It's a communication device first and foremost to me, and something to be used only for such occasions.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 03:51:34 PM »
If you think even the Nokia 1100 is too encumbered with extra features, you're just looking for excuses not to have a cell phone.  You're not going to find anything cheaper, and you won't even notice those features if you don't look for them.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 04:04:31 PM »
you're just looking for excuses not to have a cell phone.

You might be right about that.
I'm not looking for it to be cheaper at all, and I might never encounter such a phone, but at least I can try.
Actually this reminds me I should contact a friend of mine that is always on the lookout for cell phones.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 04:16:48 PM »
Well, if you're not looking for cheaper, there's Jitterbug.  They cater to older people, so the phones are as simple as possible.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 05:20:01 PM »
So Caliban, you currently don't have a cell phone?  If not, why?
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2008, 06:11:53 PM »

Technically I don't think it's a Smartphone, it's a PDA. The problem with the slow shutter is a problem with (decent) cell phone cameras in general, and really is only an issue if you're not using the flash, like most digital cameras.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2008, 08:37:46 PM »
Well, if you're not looking for cheaper, there's Jitterbug.  They cater to older people, so the phones are as simple as possible.

$147? lol it seems like a price to rip-off on old folks. Not cheap, and simple could be a cell phone around the $50 range.

So Caliban, you currently don't have a cell phone?  If not, why?

I don't have a cell phone at the moment. There are a bunch of reasons why I don't have a cell phone, and the most important is that I don't need one because it would be an investment from my part that I could reap no benefits at the moment. Don't get me wrong though, I fully support and love to see the enhancements in cell phone tech and gadgetry, it's just that there are certain tech tools that I just like to be kept simple and clean. Also, I'm at home a lot, and such benefit in portability functions is just something I already have on my PC where I spend most of my time anyway.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2008, 09:00:13 PM »
Go Nokia Go!
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2008, 09:08:32 PM »
Hey Zala, you should talk more about being from South America. And also more information about what other countries you've been too, etc. It could be interesting.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2008, 10:01:15 PM »
I don't have a cell phone at the moment. There are a bunch of reasons why I don't have a cell phone, and the most important is that I don't need one because it would be an investment from my part that I could reap no benefits at the moment. Don't get me wrong though, I fully support and love to see the enhancements in cell phone tech and gadgetry, it's just that there are certain tech tools that I just like to be kept simple and clean. Also, I'm at home a lot, and such benefit in portability functions is just something I already have on my PC where I spend most of my time anyway.

If you're not very mobile, you don't really NEED one.  The only reason I'd say it'd be good to have one would be emergencies.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2008, 10:24:29 PM »
I actually hate having a cell phone, and to me it's entertainment first (I use SkyFire to browse the internet, and Orb to watch TV), and communication last. If I'm not at home, then I don't want to talk to anyone on the phone...I don't even want to talk on the phone when I am at home.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2008, 11:22:34 PM »
I hate talking on the phone.  I think texting is stupid.  I have an iPhone 3G.  I like playing Super Monkey Ball.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2008, 04:00:18 AM »
Communication is the most powerful entity we have. Nothing gets done without communication of some sort, whether its a phone, the internet, or just two people talking.

Yes, I hate talking on the phone; but that doesn't mean I don't like the idea of a phone. Especially these days, where you talk to people less often face to face.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2008, 01:02:29 PM »
Actually, here's the phone I'm looking at next:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wky5H1xC6-I
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2008, 10:27:16 AM »
So it turns out that Motorola, LG, HTC, and Samsung are backing Android and will use the system in future handsets; Nokia will most likely follow as well.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007815.html

The advantage of Android for the manufacturers is that they do not have to pay royalties to Google for using the mobile operating system on their devices, reducing the production cost and at the same time benefiting from an open platform. This is something that Apple is refusing to do with iPhone.

Will they kill the iphone?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 10:30:42 AM by Stogi »