Author Topic: The Best Cooperative Games  (Read 20083 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: The Best Cooperative Games
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
SUNSET RIDERS
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 02:43:44 PM »
Looking at the lists here it is pretty amazing how many good co-op games there are around. It is too bad there aren't more. :(
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 03:52:11 PM »
Looking at the lists here it is pretty amazing how many good co-op games there are around. It is too bad there aren't more. :(

I dunno, that has like a sudden turn around or something.  With games like Left 4 Dead, Gears of Wars 2 and Resident Evil 5 on the horizon, all sporting big emphasis on co-op I think we're in for a big year co-op wise.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 03:57:02 PM »

I dunno, that has like a sudden turn around or something.  With games like Left 4 Dead, Gears of Wars 2 and Resident Evil 5 on the horizon, all sporting big emphasis on co-op I think we're in for a big year co-op wise.

I guess that is true. Of course I am most excited for BF3 which SHOULD be out next yea.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 04:41:20 PM »
Tales of Sequelia has co-op.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 04:53:54 PM »
There are no beat-em-ups in that list.  Beat-em-ups are the quintessential co-op game.  Honestly I feel that excluding them would make the entire presentation invalid.

As mentioned before, I'm not looking to do a comprehensive, genre-spanning history of cooperative video games.  I only need to talk for 15 minutes or so, and that includes the time I spend showing gameplay videos.  I appreciate your concern for the validity of my work, though.  Really.

I wouldn't include Super Mario Galaxy.  The "co-op" in that game is weak as hell.  It has no substance at all.  It would be one of the first games I would cut from that list.

That's part of the reason I'm including it.  It's not necessarily a great step forward in co-op play, but it does something different than every other game out there.  It's the same reason I want to mention Animal Crossing.  They were sidesteps, if you will, in the realm of video game co-op.  Plus, they actually relate more to my own project idea, since the game I have in mind is not a traditional co-op game.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 05:19:55 PM »
If you're mentioning Mario Galaxy you might as well give a shout out to Wind Waker with the Tingle GBA assistant.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008, 02:50:48 PM »
BATTLETOADS

Battletoads is notable for being a hard game that is made even harder when played cooperatively.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 06:37:34 PM »
Harder? Battletoads is probably impossible in co-op. You loose one newbie on the hoverbikes and that's it! I don't even want to think of the woes involved upon reaching the snake maze or spiraling tower.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 08:18:47 PM »
No one mentioned Bubble Bobble?

BUBBLE BOBBLE FTW!

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 08:38:38 PM »
Gunstar Heroes Gunstar Heroes Gunstar Heroes

The best co-op game I've ever played.

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 11:25:19 PM »
Well, I'm giving my presentation in less than 12 hours.  Here are the games I'm featuring:
Gauntlet, Contra, Quake/Team Fortress, Diablo, Ultima Online, Zelda: Four Swords, Mario Galaxy
Then I'm also mentioning Little Big Planet, Fable II, Animal Crossing, World of Warcraft, and Gears of War in some way.

I'm hoping that my Sackboy image bumps my grade up a few points.  You can't look at him without smiling!
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2008, 12:35:53 AM »
I've been playing Pixel Junk Monsters with my girlfriend, co-ordinating the defence makes the game.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2008, 11:02:06 PM »
BATTLETOADS

Battletoads is notable for being a hard game that is made even harder when played cooperatively.

Angry VG nerd new episode

Surprised nobody said anything about Perfect Dark

It actually had Counter-Co-op Where you could play as the enemies trying to stop a person from completing a single player mission. it was fun I did it a few times, I have no idea why that idea has DIED and never done again. Sure the framerate in Perfect dark was far from superb but it was fun and notable.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2008, 06:02:49 AM »
Castle Crashers!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2008, 09:52:42 AM »
If you forget to put in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade Game for 4 player action I will be disappointed.

The Simpson's arcade actually had CO-Op attacks for a beat'em up.

And a little unknown but brilliant arcade game Trog was a mix of Pac Man with Co-Op and competitive elements depending on how your group plays.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2008, 07:57:59 PM »
Well, I'm giving my presentation in less than 12 hours.  Here are the games I'm featuring:
Gauntlet, Contra, Quake/Team Fortress, Diablo, Ultima Online, Zelda: Four Swords, Mario Galaxy
Then I'm also mentioning Little Big Planet, Fable II, Animal Crossing, World of Warcraft, and Gears of War in some way.

I'm hoping that my Sackboy image bumps my grade up a few points.  You can't look at him without smiling!

World of Warcraft seems pointless to mention if you already have Ultima. Maybe the two could be merged into a "how it began and what it has become" slide for that specific genre. You'd really have to at least give Ever Quest a nod in that case however.

Gears of War seems like an awfully boring choice. It's simply two people playing a shooter together. DooM did that. :P

I still think you're missing out by not including Rock Band. It has a very interesting and unique take on co-op gameplay.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2008, 11:18:46 PM »
Kirby Super Star?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2008, 04:18:19 AM »
damn my long post didn't make it through. I just got done playing Castle Crashers on XBLA, and it was fantastic. I love co-op games. My buddies and I used to play the Teenage mutant Ninja turtles games all the time. I remember loving battle toads, double dragon, rampage. I would say my all time favorite is definitely River City Ransom. there have been newer games that were great coo-op like Gears of War, which is basically modern Contra. The co-op game is under-utilized. Hopefully, the trend continues and there are more and better multi player options.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 04:26:47 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2008, 08:02:40 PM »
I can't believe it took about 14 replies before someone mentioned Battletoads... (and about 38 to Perfect Dark!!)

Rebel Strike's Co-op mode was pretty cool too...

also, everyone fails for not mentioning Secret of Mana
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2008, 09:59:44 AM »
Secret of Mana fails for not being worth mentioning.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!