Author Topic: WW not holy enough? What?  (Read 9827 times)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: WW not holy enough? What?
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2003, 09:16:58 AM »
See Mouse Clicker?  We can still agree on some issues that we both feel very strongly about.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:WW not holy enough? What?
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2003, 01:45:06 PM »
I laugh at people that say they are agnostic.  You either believe in a god, or you don't.  Being indecisive solves nothing and proves you need to be worrying about more important things than religion.
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2003, 02:09:20 PM »
Agnostic means that you don't believe or disbelieve in God.  You allow for a possibility, meaning that you admit that you don't know crap.  Being an atheist means that you don't allow for a possibility of there being a god, and you are basically saying that you know for a fact that god does not exist.

Which do you think is more reasonable?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2003, 03:32:52 PM »
Sorry, one of my pet peeves is indecisiveness.  So I don't dislike agnostics because of their belief.  ^_^

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2003, 04:05:39 PM »
I am a firm believer that if you don't have at least some of the the relevant facts, you shouldn't make a decision.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2003, 04:10:19 PM »
Well religion is one aspect of life where there is no fact...only guesses and beliefs.

Well everyone has their own opinions and beliefs that seperate themselves from one another.  Can't stop that.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2003, 08:50:29 AM »
I agree with you on some points, Grey Ninja.  Religion doesn't really allow enlightenment.  But if, by chance, that religion is spot on, which they hope they are, then you don't need enlightenment.

I honestly believe that the meaning of life is to have as much fun as possible while allowing others to also do so (if they deserve it ).  So I may not seem entirely serious during a religious debate.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2003, 08:51:44 AM »
Technically, agnostic means you don't know whether a higher being exists or not, but it's often used to refer to people who don't care.

And Bill, whether or not there is a creator is a big decision- coming down on somebody because they can't choose one way or the other is not only mean but hypocritical because I guarantee you everyone here who does believe has doubted their faith before. Even atheists doubt whether they're right or not from time to time.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2003, 10:27:08 AM »
It's just a pet peeve!

Here I am firing blanks while everyone else has live ammo...

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2003, 05:06:12 AM »
Back to the original topic, i noticed they had a post your comments system and i was considering writing in that Wind Waker made me have the urge to stip off paint myself naked and decapitate a goat but then I relised the comments were screened.

I'm athetist, but i have to admit that i do occasionally question myself, (as mouse clicker was saying) but i just couldn't follow any sort of religion.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2003, 08:15:14 AM »
his review is like a joke i heard when i was younger:

a man dies and is taken up into heaven.  at the gates he meets st. peter and they walk side-by-side through a long hallway.  thy soon come up to a room and the man looks through the window.  he sees a bunch of people talking and laughing and generally happy.  the man asks st. peter, "what's going on in here?".  st. peter replies, "these are people of the jewish faith, they are happy and celebrating because after many years of suffering they have made it to God's kingdom... come lets us go in and join them".  so they went int o the room and enoyed the company of the people.  soon after, they left the room and continued down the hall.  they arrived at another door, and the man looked inside.  he saw people meditating and praying.  "who are in here?" the man asked.  st. peter replied "these are the Hindus who have been reincarnated for many centuries and have now achieved their nirvana, come let us meditate".  so the two went in and reflected on life. finally, they both left and continued on down the hall.  after a long walk they reached another door and the man looked inside to see many people praying and celebrating.  "and who are these people?", asked the man.  "shhhhhh..." hushed st. peter and quietly whispered "these are the christians... they think they are the only religion up here"

it cracks me up when people refuse to acknowledge that there are other beliefs and truths to the world.  

however,  i do think his review was fair because hey, it's his review... not mine... his views contrast with mine but go hand in hand with others so whatever.
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2003, 11:13:28 AM »
Well, you need to accept the fact that there very well could be only one truth in the world.  Pretending there are others doesn't make them real.  There could be several, but we don't know that.  Anyhoo, it's probably mine, so go spend the rest of your lives having as much fun as possible and you'll get into Heaven.  Makes sense to me.  No one wants a bore or a party pooper in Heaven, so only the fun-lovers get in.  Or maybe they have another section for the losers.  Whatever.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2003, 11:38:07 AM »
funniest quote ever:

Closing lines for the Final Fantasy VII review:  Many Christians might find much of this material too offensive, and should probably avoid most RPGs altogether. I, however, enjoyed the game, and would recommend it only to strong Christians, who would not be influenced by many of the ideas presented.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2003, 12:37:25 PM »
all i wanted to say is you shouldnt bash something you obviously dont understand. i understand that its a natural human reaction to dis something that sounds weird, but if someone believes it, you should at least try to understand why before you say bad things about it. now at the same time, any "christian" that tells you that you are going to hell is either joking, or an idiot. christianity teaches that you are only judged by god. christianity in its truest form cant be argued against by anyone unless they are full of hate(when i say argued against, i am not refering to whetehr its true or not, i mean that you wont look at them as bad people). love your neighbor as yourself. well you are actually supposed to love god with all your soul, but those 2 things will not bother anyone if you are truely doing them. when people are arrogent(similar to some of the things im reading here) is when things get messed. in conclusion, we cant really prove our beliefs correct(at least not as of yet, but we can prove a few wrong). you can never prove that there is no god. and i dont htink you will ever be able to prove that evolution happened. both take an equal amount of FAITH. so we are at an impass. the point is, dont diss one or the other. if you do think one is wrong, at least give a valid reason. and if someone decides not to do a certain thing because they think its bad, who cares, as long as they dont force it on you. AND THERE IS THIS STUPIDNESS GOING ON AROUND THIS FORUM THAT SAYS THAT WE ARENT AFFECTED BY VIDEO GAMES!!! i dont even want to start this argument again. its a fact. ask any professor in psychology or anyone having to do with the study of humans. this includes religion, social studies, history, communication, and all business professors. they will all agree that we are affected by everything. so if some random dude thinks its bad for him to play the game he probably has his head on straiter then you think. the fact that he can see that something is negatively affecting him and that he acts on it should be impressive if anything. so dont judge because, as the good book says...."judge not lest ye be judged".  
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2003, 12:47:57 PM »
nolimit19, a suggestion.  You have some good ideas up in your head, but they would sound a whole lot more convincing (not to mention it would make you sound more like you know what you're talking about, and i'm not saying you don't) if you used "you" instead of "u"

it's entirely up to u though.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2003, 12:53:28 PM »
point taken. i have actually thought about that recently. and i think you are right.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2003, 05:18:42 PM »

"these are the christians... they think they are the only religion up here"

it cracks me up when people refuse to acknowledge that there are other beliefs and truths to the world.
Too bad that's not what most Christians believe, or you would have a nice point going there.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2003, 05:27:47 PM »
It's not just Christians who think theirs' is the only religion.  In fact, every religion in the world is based on the idea that it is the only doctrine worth believing in.

This is why I usually stay out of these kind of topics...They always end in flame wars and philosophical discussions.  -_-

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2003, 01:57:16 PM »
I actually didn't think of the religious aspect of this.  Silly me.

Yeah, tons of religions are much less tolerant than Christians.  In fact, I daresay all of the major religions are.  But Christians are generally more open about their hate, and so there are a few idiots that no one can stand.  Those being the ones that write reviews like that and stuff.

I am going to go play F-Zero.  HAVE FUN!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2003, 02:38:59 PM »
Sorry Bill, but religion is something I feel very strongly about (and is probably why I shoudln't be in a debate over it, given my history).

I also have a problem with generalizations- saying Christians are intolerant of other peoples is not only stupid and ignorant but closed minded. On the other side of the issue, saying they ARE tolerant of other peoples is equally as stupid and ignorant. Joining a religion does not make you a bigot or prejudiced, although those are usually the only ones you ever here about (if your religion is working properly, it's not making the 6 o'clock news). Similarly (and I'm not accusing anyone of this), NOT belonging to a religion does not mean you lack morals. Individuals make their own decisions over whether or not they're going to tolerate other groups of people and you can't blame their actions on their religion. Yes, a lot of terrorists are Islamic but that doesn't mean Islam is a terrorist religion (which seems to be the popular view right now). A good portion of Muslims are good, honest, hardworking people, but, like I said, they're not the ones who make the news, the suicide bombers are. Just take care not to generalize groups of people, because it makes you look very hypocritical and prejudiced yourself.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2003, 03:23:31 PM »
actually christians invented terrorism.....the ira is often given the credit for starting terrorism. well at least modern terrorism as we know it today. the fact is that people in general arent as educated as they should be in what the believe in. and the lack of education knows no religion or country or race. but no matter who you are, i think we can all agree that things are headed for the worst...and i sure hope there is an afterlife.....actually i heard a good quote the other day. it goes something like...."do u ever wonder why everyone seems to think life is too short???? its because we are meant to live an eternity"......it makes sense to me...and its something to live for. and like i said....you need no more faith in being a god believer then you do in being athiests. i think that if the god i believe in is the true god...athiests wont necisarily be kept out of heaven. but anyways dont want to get too religious on you kids. but just remember this hate the sin not the sinner.

Thomas Paine

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2003, 03:29:58 PM »
No, people who WERE Christians invented, or at least modernized, terrorism. You can't say the Christian religion invented terrorism. That's like saying the Arabs blew up the embacies in Africa.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2003, 03:45:14 PM »
well yea settle down dude...i am christian so im not bashing them. but just like you would say americans are invading iraq, you would say christians invented modern terrorism...it was invented for religious reasons, and if it wasnt for their religious convictions, they wouldnt have invented it. the terrorism in ireland is all but gone...for now anyways. the point being...any christians (especially catholics) that say anything bad about muslims, have no right to talk. the important thing is that we learn from the mistakes made in the past about hte intolerance and dont allow ourselves to be caught up in it.

Thomas Paine

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2003, 03:47:49 PM »
Saying Christians invented it, though, is a generalization- yes, they were religiously motivated, but what you said implies that Christians are to blame for terrorism, which is wrong.

And you religious affililiation means little to me- I know a catholic guy who's more cynical about religion than 90% of you here.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2003, 03:58:52 PM »
i implied no such thing. all i said was that they invented it. no matter how cynical any catholic is, they can't over look that atrocities that have been commited in its name over years. they are the big reasons that there is so much muslim hate towards the christians. countless crusades to take the holy land...the spanish inquisition...the way the spanish treated the native americans when they first landed in the new world. i am christain, but i acknowledge that people in my same religion(christianity) have really messed up in the past thats all. im not dissing on the christians today. i think they are doing a decent job, at least when it comes to accepting others when you compare them to other religions of today and in the past.

Thomas Paine