Author Topic: Zelda U delayed to 2016. Won't be at E3 either.  (Read 23227 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda U delayed to 2016. Won't be at E3 either.
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2015, 07:29:33 PM »
It's also worth noting that for all the "new blood" Splatoon allegedly has working on it, it's still dominated by "old blood" values such as refusing to support voice chat.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2015, 07:49:20 PM »
? Splatoon has a  senior producer, Hisashi Nogami, and he's been with Nintendo over 20 years so that's not exactly young blood.  It was his choice to canned VC, not the directors.  Hense my point.
Splatoon is co-directed by Tsubasa Sakaguchi and Yusuke Amano. As far as I can tell, this is the first game Sakaguchi is directing, the second for Amano. I wasn't referring to Nogami, but I get your point now about voice chat.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2015, 07:51:10 PM »
the whole Splatoon thing is a positive step in the right direction.  I like how i see in Wal-mart pre-order cards. I think they should spend a whole bunch on advertising for this game. Splatoon is one of the upsides of Nintendo recently.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2015, 08:50:16 PM »
Is Splatoon out yet?

but on topic and the reason I stopped in this thread....

I'm too lazy to read the 70 some odd post before this one, but did it come up that the timing of this announcement seems too coincidentally placed after the announcement of a New Nintendo Platform (NX?) coming end of 2016?

Nintendo will need a flagship title to launch the system, and Zelda bridged teh gap for GC/Wii, so why not Wii U/NX(?).

I honestly haven't kept up with much VG related in the last year or so, but has anything else been said about NX, and did we all really expect Zelda to come out this year? that would kinda leave next year barren wouldn't it?

« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2015, 09:22:56 PM »
As far as I can tell nothing concrete has been said about NX just yet just a few vague comments that could be taken as hints no more.

Isn't it possible that Nintendo has been monitoring the buzz surrounding Splatoon and they are thinking it Could it be the the big game this year so they felt Zelda wasn't necessary this year?

I also don't get all this talk about how we need "new blood" here but in the Konami discussion people make it sound like its the end of the world an old timer leaving the company to make way for this "new blood" everyone says Nintendo desperately needs.

Also aren't most of the big indie games all made by people who grew up on Nintendo and are all trying to recapture the retro feel from those same games the old timers made back in their prime?

As far as timing goes, yeah it sounds too convenient for them to not be connected whatsoever.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2015, 09:28:22 PM »
I also don't get all this talk about how we need "new blood" here but in the Konami discussion people make it sound like its the end of the world an old timer leaving the company to make way for this "new blood" everyone says Nintendo desperately needs.

I think the difference here is that Kojima was really the last of the big talent at Konami, as all the other big talent from the NES->PS1 eras had left the company previously.  And as far as we know, there is no "new blood" to take over for Kojima in terms of developing traditional games. Just look at the original incarnation of Metal Gear Rising for an idea of what a Konami team looked like without Kojima's direct involvement. In fact, Konami in general has pretty much left the industry already, so Kojima's leaving was pretty much the last nail in the coffin for a beloved developer.

Meanwhile, Nintendo's not going anywhere, but general perception seems to be that their games have gotten stale over the years. That's why you see the push for younger talent to start taking more prominent roles in the company.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2015, 10:01:51 PM »

I think the difference here is that Kojima was really the last of the big talent at Konami, as all the other big talent from the NES->PS1 eras had left the company previously.  And as far as we know, there is no "new blood" to take over for Kojima in terms of developing traditional games. Just look at the original incarnation of Metal Gear Rising for an idea of what a Konami team looked like without Kojima's direct involvement. In fact, Konami in general has pretty much left the industry already, so Kojima's leaving was pretty much the last nail in the coffin for a beloved developer.

Meanwhile, Nintendo's not going anywhere, but general perception seems to be that their games have gotten stale over the years. That's why you see the push for younger talent to start taking more prominent roles in the company.

Not that those aren't good points, but wasn't NES Remix the result of this new talent? Wasn't that was just an excuse to play NES games at work, or so the story goes. I get the feeling that management is in charge no matter what so new talent is pretty much wasted as long as the old timers are running the show.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2015, 10:23:19 PM »
Are we sure the NX is a home console?  The popular theory of it being moved to the NX seems based on that assumption.

I would think the NX is a handheld since it was brought up in a conversation about Nintendo's newfound presence in the mobile space, seemingly to fight the notion that there's no point to having a dedicated portable gaming machine, if Nintendo is making games for phones.

The no-show at E3 seems weird.  It's the only part that doesn't really play into their whole "We just need more time to add all these cool ideas we just had" spiel.  Maybe Nintendo just has 2-3 unannounced Wii U titles that can be showcased at E3?  That's too convenient and improbable though. :^/
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2015, 11:36:06 PM »
The no-show at E3 seems weird.  It's the only part that doesn't really play into their whole "We just need more time to add all these cool ideas we just had" spiel.  Maybe Nintendo just has 2-3 unannounced Wii U titles that can be showcased at E3?  That's too convenient and improbable though. :^/

I think the reason Zelda is a no show at this years E3 is because they've been spending most of their time up until now creating the giant world but haven't really filled it with content yet.  I mean the major selling point of this game is suppose to be the open world aspect.  In all other Zelda E3 demo's, they just have players play through parts of the early dungeons and that's about it.  With this Zelda they can't really do that because then people's first impressions will be, "well it's just another Zelda".  But if they allow people to run around the world right now, it probably still pretty empty which will give the impression it's Twilight Princess overworld all over again but just bigger, giving another negative first impression.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is why they just announced the delay right now since this is around the time Nintendo starts putting their E3 demo's together.  Even if they knew the game would be delayed before, they might have started putting a demo together and realized that development hasn't gotten far enough to really give people the impression of the new Zelda they want them to have.  That's why they won't show anything at E3 so people are still angry about the delay but still very hyped over the idea of a huge open world Zelda instead of people being mad at the delay and having a negative impression for the next year because of a poor E3 showing.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2015, 12:57:37 AM »
Good points all around.  But I couldn't help but think that at least a trailer could be ready for the show.  Not having a playable demo makes complete sense, especially with what you said, but a complete no-show feels strange.  Maybe they revamped the art style.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2015, 09:35:46 AM »
I don't think you understand who Nintendo development works, producer>director.  The producer is the one who calls the shots so even if Amano wanted VC (he never states if he was for or against it) it wouldn't have matter since the higher ups already canned the idea.

Nintendo's known to be a stick in the mud (read Retro Studios early days with Metorid Prime, Raven Blade, ect). So all those that work at Nintendo now or more or less "yes, men". 

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2015, 10:02:22 AM »
Nintendo better have a delightful surprise at E3. That's all I'm saying.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2015, 10:14:40 AM »
I get concerned that They're focusing on the open world aspect so much that there'll be almost no story in the game whatsoever.  That's my biggest gripe with most open world games, but I'll be disappointed if the gameplay ends up half-baked while they sacrifice what story conceits they have in tribute to "open world game".

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2015, 10:50:48 AM »
I don't think you understand who Nintendo development works, producer>director.  The producer is the one who calls the shots so even if Amano wanted VC (he never states if he was for or against it) it wouldn't have matter since the higher ups already canned the idea.
I can't tell if this is directed at me. If so, I already said I get what you're saying about Nogami and voice chat. I only pointed out Sakaguchi and Amano as "young blood" within the company. It's good that Nintendo has younger talent creating games that Nintendo wouldn't normally make (which is what I originally thought you were saying Nintendo needed) though it's a shame if senior staff members are holding them back in some ways (which, unless I'm mistaken, is what you were actually saying). I misinterpreted your original post. My bad. Are we good now?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2015, 02:44:15 PM »
You know the whole situation makes me think of a sports team.  A good sports team needs depth because regardless of what lineup you put on paper it is an almost certainty that at some point in the season key players will be injured and you'll need to hold the fort with the talent at hand.  Lousy teams don't have that.  A key guy goes down and the season is toast.  That's the Wii U.  It's lack of third party support and Nintendo's thin resources make them a team relying entirely on a couple of star players and no one else.  Zelda is their future Hall-of-Famer and he just tore his ACL and now they're screwed.

When you're planning your release schedule you have to assume that delays will happen and if you don't have enough depth to make up for a couple delays then you're screwed.  I talk about third party support all the time but if there was ever a time to make the argument that Nintendo should consider this a priority it's now.  Sony and MS can have major releases get delayed and know that their userbase will still have games from other devs to play, so the value of the console remains strong.  Customers are happy, word-of-mouth for the console as a whole is positive.  I'm sure that's stuff Nintendo wants but they're just not really aware of how to get it.  What if the PS4 had some situation where EVERY game released in a three month window was delayed?  How many games would that be?  Over 20?  Can you imagine what impact an announcement that 20 games were all delayed at the same time would make?  Well that's this Zelda thing.  When your lineup is this thin one delay is like 20 games.  If you were a console maker you would never want something like that to happen and yet Nintendo has practically set that situation up.

Was this ever realistically going to be a 2015 game?  I didn't think it would but it seemed like it needed to be, unless Nintendo has something else to show at E3 to fill the gap.  I agree with Insanolord that Nintendo probably threw it out at E3 to make things look better than they are as a last ditch effort to move Wii U's in Christmas 2014.  I get that and if I had suddenly been plucked into Nintendo management last year I would have done the same.  Throw whatever you can at E3 to get people talking about Nintendo and to not get forgotten.  But I also would be working on expanding Nintendo's dev resources which we don't know if Nintendo has done.  The goal would be to use the Zelda announcement at E3 to buy some time but work your ass off to make sure that things are already improving a year later.  I don't know if Nintendo has been doing that but it seems more like they were thinking entirely in the present as usual and the goal was to sell Wii Us in 2014 and deal with tomorrow when it comes.

Adrock is right in that Nintendo needs a smooth transition from Wii U to NX (or whatever the Wii U successor is) to protect the brand but I don't know how they can do it if they don't have the resources to release enough games.  And even if they are working to improve that the results don't show overnight.  Nintendo needed to be addressing that stuff like a few months into the Wii U's life.  If they have been addressing the problem they should be able to show the fruits of that labour at E3, right?  If they expanded their teams those teams' projects should be due for at least a trailer by now.  But that's all a big if.

It feels like Nintendo is in so over their head right now on the console front that I wonder if their time in consoles is over and they just don't realize it yet.  So much stuff needs to be fixed and there isn't a lot of time to do it.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2015, 12:12:40 AM »
NX time!
Special edition Lucario version!
Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2015, 04:10:29 PM »
NX time!
Special edition Lucario version!

Finally! A good post in this thread.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2015, 03:33:38 PM »
I dont think this has much to do with the NX. I had predicted twilight princess would both be on gamecube and wii
(nobody believed me), but i imagine nx is like a regular mobile platform, no buttons, all touch. But then again i really dont know anything about it. I can envsion a console/handheld hybrid, but nintendo doesnt do whatever everyone thinks they will do.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2015, 04:31:42 PM »
i imagine nx is like a regular mobile platform, no buttons, all touch.

As I read this I made the sort of face one might make while eating spoiled food.  Games for that thing would be no better than current phone games.

But then if Nintendo was going to release such a device why even expand to mobile at all?  Or alternatively since this is like the same thing as mobile stuff why create the NX?  Who would buy a special Nintendo platform for the same kind of stuff they're already offering on your phone?  Nintendo specifically doesn't want to do that because they know that's a hard sell.  I suppose the NX could be beefier in specs and thus be specifically designed for games but all touchscreen is way too limiting.  The existing Nintendo platforms with touchscreens rarely offer games that don't have some button input.  The idea of a separate Nintendo platform is that it provides a superior gaming experience to a mobile device but this concept wouldn't offer a big enough improvement, if any at all.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2015, 07:38:20 AM »
doesnt mean i like that idea, but those constant stockholder questions about mobile. Thy might just cerate their mobile virtual boy.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2015, 01:13:15 PM »
Sorry guys not what you think...

Symphony of the Goddess will be on the Late Show with Steven Colbert tonight and there is some new promo art being passed around NOT based on Tri Force Heroes and there is an TP icon recently found on the eShop. Will any of this lead me to a Zelda U trailer?

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2015, 02:02:07 PM »
No

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2015, 03:49:44 PM »
Nope.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2015, 04:02:41 PM »
Well the new art render of Link being shown looks a lot like his Twilight Princess design so a Twilight Princess HD could be possible but any new trailer for Zelda U isn't hitting until at least E3.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2015, 04:20:45 PM »
Well the new art render of Link being shown looks a lot like his Twilight Princess design so a Twilight Princess HD could be possible but any new trailer for Zelda U isn't hitting until at least E3.

E3? Just stab me in the sack with a dull spoon.