Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537950 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #6075 on: March 09, 2019, 05:14:10 PM »
Captain Marvel: 
I really like this movie, but it is really about average for a Marvel movie.  Some of my friends and I have said it was about Iron Man 2 or 3 good. 

The Good:  An origin story that truly felt different and fun.  Marvel is figuring out ways to tell origin stories without falling into the trappings of origin stories.  The world building in this movie felt good and was just enough to help tell the story of the film without taking from it. 

The Bad:  The twist to the plot was a good twist and I really understand and respect why they did that.  Unfortunately, it means there is really only 2 or 3 scenes that take true impact of a great villain.  Hopefully, that is just a taste of something better to come.  Unfortunately, the twist messes with the tone of the movie.

The Ugly:  While I will admit that there was some good chemistry between Fury and Marvel (Jackson and Larson) the comedy was rather flat.  Scenes felt like they were trying to be funny and it just fell flat. 

Overall I think a 6 or 7 outta 10 is good accurate score. 

Finally, I think anyone that would protest this movie as a feminist movie is dumb.  The movie is clearly a humanist movie with a message of the strength of humanity and how we can always get back up to fight again.  Which is a perfect message leading into End Game which is going to start out bleak. 

However, I will say the media telling stories like, if you don't see this movie you are a bad feminist is going to give people the wrong idea.  As always, I believe the safest thing to do, is put your message you desire in the movie (the humanist message with subtle feminist undertones) and then let the movie speak for itself.  Correct the media when they get off track, so that public perception is not hurt.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: March 09, 2019, 05:55:34 PM »
That's the thing that really gets me - this movie has absolutely no political agenda at all - but even if it did, Stan Lee was always an outspoken progressive, so it would be nothing new.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: March 09, 2019, 11:51:21 PM »
No, 6/10 is a perfectly respectable score, but 0/10 is not. I'm specifically talking about fake review from people who did not watch the movie. Another example is the IGN review had a 4:1 dislike ratio, for a review that came out 3 days before the movie was released. Sure lots of these movies have fake reviews in favor and against, but this is a whole new level. The evidence is overwhelming. Cinemascore is based on actual audience scores, at the movie theater. Sure you can say it was better than you really thought, but you can't lie and review something you didn't watch. This whole smear campaign started with the "she should smile more" horse **** and just continued and got worse from there.

There is a couple of you have got to be shitting me elements here.

1: IGN. I have far more respect for the Pietriots and Khushrenada's ramblings.
2: That is people disliking a review. That's like shouting conspiracy over a trailer getting disliked.
3: WHAT EVIDENCE.
4: There is no campaign.
5: If there is a campaign it would be the weird changes on RT and the media narrative.
6: I am pretty sure smile more was -

a: Smile please, we like happy people.
b: Concern from fans as to whether she could compare to the heavy weights that have come before her. Black Panther had the serious problem of BP himself being extremely disinteresting. I didn't want to see him, I wanted to see everyone else. See Goose the Cat.

6/10 is catastrophic for this kind of movie. Movies and games curve doesn't sit anywhere near the 50% mark as it should, it's closer to 75%, anything below that and you have failed score wise.

That's the thing that really gets me - this movie has absolutely no political agenda at all - but even if it did, Stan Lee was always an outspoken progressive, so it would be nothing new.

Being progressive is not about tearing others down to equal the playing field. Stan certainly understood that, Brie didn't. Even had CM had no political agenda, she gave it one, a bad one at that. It's not the progressive ideals people are having problems with, it's the delivery. Brie absolutely made a mess of it.

However, I will say the media telling stories like, if you don't see this movie you are a bad feminist is going to give people the wrong idea.  As always, I believe the safest thing to do, is put your message you desire in the movie (the humanist message with subtle feminist undertones) and then let the movie speak for itself.  Correct the media when they get off track, so that public perception is not hurt.

Bingo. This keeps happening over and over again. BP thankfully avoided that by not having people with foot in mouth. While the whole first all black movie or whatever is ridiculous there wasn't a "You're racist" narrative going on. They had accepted the legitimate flaws by staying quiet and letting the movie stand on it's own. Gotta say the Oscar nod is a joke.

Past and today's feminism are two very different things. It was liberating ones self and building yourself up, now it's tearing others to make yourself relatively bigger.

Funny thing is that the DCAU Wonder Women, even with the current literation is a man hater and no one blinks an eye, why?. Her character is easily understood by her upbringing and history. Countered by other open minded women, certain powerful emotional events and seeing the logical extreme of her views. Because of this it wasn't an attack, it was an introspection. This is what good writing can do for you.

Looked up some of the CM comic book material. It's horrific. She is also a villain. Seriously though, if you had asked me before all this what I knew of CM my reply would have been 'The person now in a coma who gave Rogue her powers' from the x-men cartoons.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: March 10, 2019, 03:28:34 AM »
I have far more respect for the Pietriots and Khushrenada's ramblings.

Please elaborate more about this respect for my ramblings.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: March 10, 2019, 04:41:41 AM »
I have far more respect for the Pietriots and Khushrenada's ramblings.

Please elaborate more about this respect for my ramblings.

It comes down to it being from the heart. The heart of insanity, but heart all the same.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: March 10, 2019, 05:08:55 AM »
Hahaha. Yes!!! Take that, IGN!

Too cold and sterile. Where's the heart?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: March 10, 2019, 11:04:30 AM »
Ooohboy what is it she said that you think was so offensive? The quote about A Wrinkle in Time about not being made for 40 yr old white dudes? Saying there should be more diversity in the press tour? Neither of those statements are controversial. Did she say something else?

And when I saw 6/10 is perfectly respectable, I'm saying "this is the score from someone who actually watched the movie and this is how they felt", whereas a 0/10 from a bunch of internet trolls is not respectable.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 11:30:38 AM by BranDonk Kong »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: March 10, 2019, 11:13:43 AM »
Dude all you need to do is go to the Marvel Studios Facebook page and look at the comment section from pretty much any post. I can't take you seriously if you don't think the Rotten Tomatoes fan score is a result of thousands of people posting fake reviews. I mean just look at the entire MCU collection disparity between critic score and audience score, and this is after RT has removed dozens of thousands of fake reviews
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/franchise/marvel_cinematic_universe
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 11:46:06 AM by BranDonk Kong »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: March 10, 2019, 12:58:15 PM »
6: I am pretty sure smile more was -

a: Smile please, we like happy people.
LOL. No, it wasn’t. There’s so much history to “smile more.” Men telling women to smile more is like the oldest form of street harassment.

If these chuckleheads bothered to wait until Captain Marvel came out or even watched it when it did, they probably still wouldn’t have realized that the movie flat out makes fun of these unwanted advances from men.

Also, Carol does smile in the movie particularly once she starts regaining her memory. “Carol McSerious” was part of her character arc. She’s stolen from Earth, lied to, and forced to be a no nonsense soldier. The Kree, Starforce/Yon-Rog, and Supreme Intelligence made her that way. Smiling isn’t something a person should do because some fucking rando on the street or internet tells you to. It’s part of your identity, your personality.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: March 10, 2019, 03:36:08 PM »
Err what? This is literally the first I heard smile more or lets have a smile is street harassment. That is a lot of missing context. My context was always cheering someone up, I have certainly being asked that more than once, have done so myself it made both feel a little better. What the heck.

Ooohboy what is it she said that you think was so offensive? The quote about A Wrinkle in Time about not being made for 40 yr old white dudes? Saying there should be more diversity in the press tour? Neither of those statements are controversial. Did she say something else?

And when I saw 6/10 is perfectly respectable, I'm saying "this is the score from someone who actually watched the movie and this is how they felt", whereas a 0/10 from a bunch of internet trolls is not respectable.

It was needlessly exclusionary and the delivery was angry. I have already stated why that was a problem. I wasn't offended, at best it was unprofessional. Blaming trolls just antagonises people by discounting their views of which some are legitimate. If you want your movie to have a positive vibe, you have to be positive in it's messaging. If you made a mistake, just apologise, it's ok to say sorry, people respect that.

If marketing wasn't an issue why would a BBC reporter have to bring this up?

At the risk of adding yet another middle-aged white male voice to the critical choir, I find myself in broad agreement with the opinions cited above.

I spent a perfectly enjoyable two hours watching Captain Marvel on Monday. Yet I couldn't help feeling it represented a missed opportunity.

It's probably asking too much for one of the few superhero blockbusters to have a female lead to course-correct an overwhelmingly male-dominated genre.

Having cast the capable, talented and highly watchable Brie Larson as their heroine, though, I sensed the film's makers were unsure how to capitalise on her strengths.

While the film is full of amusing moments, Captain Marvel herself is almost entirely humourless. The likes of Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man and Chris Pratt's Star-Lord are never short of a self-deprecating quip, yet Larson is required to play things deadpan straight.

I already told you why each score is as it is, the problems, how statistics work. If you are going to argue 'Respectability', how is a 10 any more valid than a 0? Maths doesn't care. That's why you also read the text that went with the score.

I didn't believe myself when I was told there was positive copy pasta Google reviews. Have a look, it's weird.

If it was a female issue why does everyone love Wonder Women? A literal man hater in DCAU yet beloved. Trolls right?

Dude all you need to do is go to the Marvel Studios Facebook page and look at the comment section from pretty much any post. I can't take you seriously if you don't think the Rotten Tomatoes fan score is a result of thousands of people posting fake reviews. I mean just look at the entire MCU collection disparity between critic score and audience score, and this is after RT has removed dozens of thousands of fake reviews
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/franchise/marvel_cinematic_universe

I don't use Facebook anymore for about 2 years other than Birthday messages and even when I did I didn't use it other than friends.

They had the same excuse with STD and they were antagonistic. It is garbage on every level. Forget the Trek lore or continuity, it has piss poor writing without getting into the rest of the dumpster fire. It has close to 50% difference I last checked. Trolls right?

The Orville got slammed by the critics yet fans loved it with an even wider margin of 63% (32-94). Are you going to say that there was some sort of conspiracy here too by the fans? Suddenly season 2 gets 100% from critics post Disney buyout? It's hella progressive, more so than Trek, with far more complex conundrums, better stories. Trolls right?

Everyone knows most game or movie critics engage in access journalism. RT was overdue to die and lost it's credibility well before CM with it's algorithm that was problematic from the start. Hence why I gave you the link to Metacritic as it is more open to how the numbers came about.

If the absurd score differential doesn't discredit RT at the minimum or question what is going on, I don't know what to say. There has been a lot of fishy **** well before CM. Marvel fucked up it's marketing.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6085 on: March 10, 2019, 03:48:24 PM »
A little bit of critical context, I am not going up to random people asking them to smile, it is always with people I know. Harassment is harassment regardless of what is said, context, intentions and delivery make all the difference.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: March 10, 2019, 05:30:30 PM »
How is saying there should be more diversity exclusionary? That's the opposite of exclusionary. That review you quote is also pretty bad and misses the point. She's not supposed to provide comic relief, although she actually does in a few scenes. She doesn't even know who she is for 80% of the movie, and doesn't know who to trust...but she's supposed to make self-deprecating jokes? She plays role she was given very well. I take it you haven't seen the movie, right? RT doesn't even use an algorithm...it's the total number of positive reviews divided by the total number of reviews. That's it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: March 10, 2019, 05:35:06 PM »
Here is the article that contains the quote (and the statistics that prove her point) that is "stupid" or whatever.
https://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/brie-larsons-i-do-not-hate-white-dudes-lack-of-inclusion-film-critics-1201974617/

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: March 10, 2019, 06:04:39 PM »
I am not going to repeat myself. If you haven't figured out what the issue was you're not going to or don't want to. I have laid it all out the best I can, with far more evidence than you have ever provided.

In regards to the second post, that's her back pedalling. In the video it was very clear what her message was, context, intent and delivery. I provided a example statement that would be inclusive with none of the baggage. She did something unprofessional. If one of the cast members in every other Marvel movie did the same they would be unprofessional.

The BBC reporter who is about as far away from all this as you can get had to acknowledge the issue. Something had gone wrong.

That's the problem with RT algorithm. It is absurdly reductive. A 51% review is positive. If all reviews were 51% or 60%, *insert arbitrary number* it would have a 100% freshness rating. I converts a 51% to 100%. That's stupid. A critic would have to dump the score to avoid effectively giving it a 10/10.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: March 10, 2019, 06:14:41 PM »
I think we should probably table this discussion. I feel like everyone's gotten their point across here, and there's a good chance this is going to get ugly. And I don't think we want that.

On a brighter note, this isn't really "movie" discussion per say, but there really isn't a great place to put this and it is movie-related: I recently discovered that Audible's been releasing these full-length Alien franchise audio dramas the last few years for "Alien Day" (04/26). I had an active trial going with them, so I picked up the 1st of the 3, "Out of the Shadows" and eventually purchased the other 2, "Sea of Sorrows" and "River of Pain". All 3 are based on circa-2014 novels.

At first glance, these stories are somewhat blasphemous: Out of the Shadows takes place on a mining vessel over a different alien-infested planet, LV-178. The miners discovered the Xenomorphs, and you can probably guess where things went from there. It's amusing hearing how much this sounds like a Dead Space story when you can't actually see the Alien franchise trappings, considering most of the characters alive on the ship are engineers using repurposed mining equipment as weapons.

Where things get interesting is when characters start openly referencing the characters and technology of the Alien: Isolation game. Apparently, these 3 novels were meant to be somewhat of coordinated cross-media effort with that game, and all are considered officially cannon. Then Ripley's shuttle arrives and the crew wakes her up. She's not voiced by Sigourney Weaver, but the person voicing her does a DAMN good Weaver impersonation. They also brought in Rutger Hauer to voice Ash as a rather-chilling "ghost in the machine".

Overall, the story is excellent, if incredibly redundant considering the franchise formula. That said, it's interesting seeing crew members in an Alien story act competently, since Ripley tells them exactly what they're dealing with and they react accordingly.  You may wonder how this story could possibly exist considering where Aliens picks up, and there is a reason. It's a stupid reason, but continuity is preserved...unfortunately.

Sea of Sorrows is a sequel to Out of the Shadows and apparently takes place after Alien: Resurrection. Apparently, Weyland-Yutani just never learns. If the 1st book was tonally in line with the 1st Alien movie, this one is definitely more in tone with Aliens, featuring mercenaries basically filling in the role of the colonial marines on a "bug hunt". Yeah, you already know where this story is going, unfortunately. The story does bring in a spectacularly dumb new element of the franchise by having one of the characters be an empath ala Deana Troi. Apparently, the Alien franchise really needed Newtypes for some reason.

River of Pain is probably the strangest and most redundant out of all the stories, as it seems to be basically just telling the story of the Aliens Directors Cut novelization. I'm still listening to it, but I've definitely read this story before, as there have been novelizations about the downfall of Hadley's Hope before. Still, audio drama form is a cool way to experience it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6090 on: March 10, 2019, 06:36:32 PM »
Actually RT uses 60% as positive. Being that a lot of sites and critics use 4 and 5 star-based review systems it makes perfect sense (3/5 stars would be 60%). RT score does not mean "this is how good it is" it means *this percentage of reviews would be considered good, or even not "don't watch this movie"* that's what it has always meant. Chris Evans calls out the president almost on the daily, so does Mark Ruffalo...they are *way more* political than Brie. Like broodwars says, it's pointless to go on though. I just took my kids to see it, and they loved it. On a positive note, my son pointed out that the local theater has a Mortal Kombat II arcade cabinet...I'm gonna try to buy it, even though it's not an original.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 06:41:34 PM by BranDonk Kong »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6091 on: March 11, 2019, 04:17:14 AM »
That is still has the same reductive problem and encourages critics to raise the score to keep in line. It's manipulating the statistics dishonestly. A 10% hidden bias that people defend is impressive marketing. Also what...

RT score does not mean "this is how good it is" it means *this percentage of reviews would be considered good, or even not "don't watch this movie"* that's what it has always meant.

Does RT review movies or does it review reviews or percentage of cats and dogs? Don't bother answering, like, just, wow.

They call out the president, one person, a political figure, on serious issues on their own time, well communicated and through appropriate channels, being professional. They don't go after an entire segment of the population including customers and the press during a press junket in an angry rant. How they went about it made all the difference.

SUPER: Ellen Page is amazing hoping around like she is on crack, that psycho laugh every time. It take off for real when she gets in to the movie. You can't make this movie today.

Logan: A great shitty road trip.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6092 on: March 11, 2019, 08:15:12 AM »
Lol now it was an angry rant.
https://youtu.be/9e852S8RvlU

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: March 11, 2019, 02:29:15 PM »
Yeah 'lol'. We are done.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: March 11, 2019, 04:30:06 PM »
I don't recall reading this a year ago with Black Panther; i don't mean the trolls reaction.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6095 on: March 12, 2019, 01:38:46 AM »
Captain Marvel: I enjoyed it.

There's Nothing Out There:   I clicked on this movie randomly, i didn't know I'd like it, but it was really the horror movie I'd always wanted to see. I always wanted to see a horror movie where a character was blatantly self aware he was in a horror movie, I guess scream does this, but this does it different
If you liked Cabin in the Woods, or Scream you might like this.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:43:50 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: March 13, 2019, 03:39:01 AM »
Re-watched bits from Mission impossible Fallout. That bathroom fight, damn, so simple but it is so good. I absolutely love the few movies and TV that have returned to the fundamentals. Charlize, Kenau and Tom is a trifector that if they ever got together we will have reached peaked action movie and it's all down hill, might as well pack it up.

Did someone get a little salty? I will smile more. 8)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: March 13, 2019, 04:00:46 AM »
I'd love to see a Tom Keanu Charlize movie. They should call it the Triumvarate.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: March 17, 2019, 11:49:01 AM »
District 9 - 9/10
Pretty incredible that this was the directorial debut for someone. Very ambitious film that really came out nearly perfectly. I'm disappointed that it took me 10 years to finally see it, but man, what a great movie. Wikus is such a selfish douchebag but then you kinda feel for him, and he eventually makes the right decision at the end. Going to watch Elysium and Chappie (even though it has pretty awful reviews) afterwards. I'm not totally convinced that Neill Blomkamp would be the right guy to direct an Alien movie, but I'm totally convinced he'd be perfect for the (good) RoboCop reboot/sequel.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: March 18, 2019, 12:25:59 AM »
Elysium is a fine watch and a flawless visual treat. Merges old school with new tech perfectly. It struggles to integrate it's messages and themes to it's world it effortlessly does in D9. Matt is bland and Foster was a bit what?? Lower the star power, the better they are.

D9 is a 30 million dollar movie that look $120m while Elysium is a $120m movie that looks $200m. They gave him too much money far too quickly. He does best with less. Blomkamp is a visual guy at heart and he needs his crew to fill in his weaknesses which seems to have happened at Oats. Visually stunning but far better writing.

Chappie... oh Chappie... Great opening with Peter Weller, don't bother with the rest of the movie. There is still some good in there but it's not worth it.

Definitely a slot in as part of the puzzle for Robocop if he gets a bit of guidance from Verhoeven and Weller.