Author Topic: Evangelion  (Read 12155 times)

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Evangelion
« on: February 07, 2003, 06:45:52 PM »
No doubt the best anime out there.
I borrowed the two Evangelion movies (on DVD) from my sister's friend: 'Death and Rebirth' and 'End of Evangelion'. Death and Rebirth was just a recap of all the episodes, but it's End of Evangelion I want to talk about.

This has got to the weirdest Evangelion ever. I had heard of the basic story from a friend about three years ago.
The whole aspect of Rei's clones and Selee's/Gendo Ikari's plans get a little phsychotic at times. And when I thought that Fuyutski and those three technicians were gonna make it out in a happy ending, they all die by melting in all that acid crap that Rei's made out of. Ritsuko goes crazy and is shot by Gendo, Gendo himself is left dying by Rei, and Misato is shot by the army, left for dead to be blown up in the demolition of Nerv. Only Shinji and Asuka are left alive at the end, to die a lonely death because there is nothing left for them. The Third impact did occur after all.

The funniest part just has to be Asuka's sudden revival and her newfound 'invincibility', although short-lived because of the vulture-like Eva unit's 5-13. I envy Shinji because of what he would have got from Misato if they got out alive!

The movie itself was a mess. Toward the end was sterile and boring. Real-life footage and mindless dialogue used to represent Shinji's confusion as to what is reality.
But why did EVERYONE have to die? Why was the ending written with the destruction of Earth through the Third Impact? Why did the ever sexy Misato have to die?

The people who wrote this (GAINAX, etc) must have been on the very brink of insanity to write an ending like this. I know that this is probably what was expected from an Anime (which are far removed form the influences of Hollywood), but it was toooo far removed from what the first few episodes in the Evangelion series was about: Action, humour, fun, innuendo, ego and good vs. evil, which is what I fell in love with. Not mental instability, depression, questions on reality and humanity, and gruesome death as in the last few episodes and the movies.

The Special Features in the Death and Rebirth DVD are outstanding, and provide much needed answers about anything that you don't understand about the Evangelion Universe.  They provide detailed files on all the characters, all the technology, all the locations and all the conspiracies.

Has anybody else seen this movie? I thought it was alright, but JUST. What do you think of it?
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline BlackGriffen

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 07:35:41 PM »
You missed something critical: everyone who wished to come back to life was returning (note how the orange goo drops were spreading over the world).

The whole point was that Shinji finally had the balls to face reality.

BG

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 07:53:28 PM »
Ha.
Pretty drastic way to face reality.

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 08:46:24 PM »
they didn't die per se, the barriers that kept people from ever being able to be one with another person are removed and all the people become LCL and become one, asuka came back in the end of 'end of eva' because that is the other person that shinji recognized as being thier own entity. You should really watch the whole series and not just the two movies. I also would like to renforice BlackGriffen's point about shinji faceing reality, thats what the whole series was about, NOT about giant 'robots'. (on another note that episode where unit 01 eats the angel, awesome.)

Evangelion
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 09:27:58 PM »
Yeah, buddy, did you ever miss out on a few things about that movie! The movie made perfect sense to me, and brought everything from the series full circle (almost everything) and ending it properly. The live-action footage and other weird stuff near the end of the movie you mentioned in your first post,  thats how the tv series ended, 'A Complete Mind-**** featuring Shinji & Friends:Starring Shinji's Mind'! Go rent the the series watch it once or twice and then come back and comment properly on the movie!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 01:41:16 PM »
Evangelion really appealed to me.  The end of the series really left a bad taste in my mouth (mind f*ck starring Shinji), and I put off watching End of Eva for a long time.  When I did watch it though, I regretted it a lot.  It was simply perfect.  Perfectly twisted, and perfectly logical.  To me the two go together VERY well.  I have watched a lot of anime, but after watching End of Eva, Envangelion became my favorite.  It was simply too powerful.

I heard once that the creator of Evangelion (I forget his name) had just gone through a difficult time in his life, and had modelled Shinji and the storyline around his suicidal thoughts at the time.  It really lent the anime something special.  I know what insanity is.  I know when it is being faked.  I know what total despair looks like.  I know what I saw in this anime.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 05:30:07 PM »
Evangelion will always be one of my favorite anime's.  Still ranks in my top 5.  As I watch the show again and again over the years, it did start to dawn on me how little the characters developed in the show.  In the end, they weren't much different than they were in the beginning.  Except Gendo, Gendo's the man and got exactly what he wanted .  

As for my look at the ending, I liked it and it made a good amount of sense.  I don't think Shinji made his choice to face reality, but instead to continue living in his shell.  

If you liked Evangelion, at the end of March ADV will be releasing the TV show RahXephon in the USA.  The show is very simmilar to Eva (and some have been quick to call it an Eva Rip off).  But it really just followd the sub-genre of the Mech category focusing on the "Super Robot" that Evangelion did.   One big differentce is RahXephon has much better character development, the characters possess SOCIAL SKILLS, and the main character isn't a complete and total pussy , There are a lot less (but still present) metaphores than Evangelion had.  
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2003, 07:10:56 PM »

Originally posted by: Bildo, Billiam, BJ, Mr. B'Nak, Billz, TurboTef
Yeah, buddy, did you ever miss out on a few things about that movie! The movie made perfect sense to me, and brought everything from the series full circle (almost everything) and ending it properly. The live-action footage and other weird stuff near the end of the movie you mentioned in your first post,  thats how the tv series ended, 'A Complete Mind-**** featuring Shinji & Friends:Starring Shinji's Mind'! Go rent the the series watch it once or twice and then come back and comment properly on the movie!

couldnt say it better myself

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2003, 01:49:30 AM »
I guess I don't have a complicated mind as much as you guys do. Anyway thanks for the comments. I'd watch it again, but they don't show it on SBS here anymore. Buying the movies is too much, and none of my friends have it so.....oh well.

A while back, a saw what seemed to be pics of a new Evangelion series, titled something like Neon Revalation or something like that. If I recall, there is a new bunch of Angels, and another organisation like Nerv to battle the Angels. Nerv and all the characters we know are still there, but I don't know if there's any such new series. Does anyone know about this?

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2003, 07:54:52 PM »
There is no new Evangelion,a nd likely never will be.

There was a (very very convincing) fan made poster called "Reprise of Evangelion" with an adult Shinji, Rei and Asuka on it, but it was a fake, threw many people off for abotu a week,

Late last year Gainax Anoucned that 2003 is the offical "Milk The Evangelion Licence" year, or "Rebirth of Evangelion".

During 2003, there will be a re-release in Japan of the entire series on DVD with 5.1 sound.  There will also be a new line of figures and plushes, as well as 2 new audio CD's with a new versioN (maybe more) of Cruel Angels Thesis (The opening)

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2003, 04:52:07 AM »
i've got soem news for ya'll, my friend reads Newtype in japanese, and Gainax is back up and running in the Eva department, a new title called Evangelion Reset is on the way, will this be a movie, TV series or an OAV, we don't know yet, but i will come back with new news when i have it, this is not a rumor.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2003, 04:54:01 AM »
by the way,this ISN'T coming out in 2003, which is why gainax didn't announce on there 2003 to do list
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2003, 05:22:45 AM »
THERE IS NO NEW EVANGELION

It's not a rumor, it's a fact.  There is no new evangelion.

They are re-releasing the series in Japan on DVD with an upgradded audio track, that's all.

Offline Wakkawa

• View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2003, 03:06:26 PM »
Im going to go buy the box set this weekend.  Its like $120 at best buy I think (much cheeper than anywhere else)
mmm

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
Evangelion
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2003, 10:43:09 PM »
*scribbles note to self, note reads: "Never bring up anime subject around people who have watched every anime on the planet"*
Seriously Evangelion is the only anime I've ever watched and I thought the series was very cool but that End of Evangelion was a kinda crappy ending. There were three things about it that really ticked me off.
1. When Gendo shot Risuko. You have him saying "The truth is ............." BANG! I was so pissed of that you didn't get to hear what he had to say.
2. All the psycological crap towards the end, the movie just went downhill the straight after Misato died.
and 3. Why the hell was Shinji strangling Auska at the very end when they were lying on the beach?

Death and Rebirth was friggin awesome but End of Evangelion wasn't.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2003, 02:07:29 AM »

Originally posted by: RABicle
*scribbles note to self, note reads: "Never bring up anime subject around people who have watched every anime on the planet"*

....and understands all the physchology and mental stabilities involved in them.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!
Someone who actually agrees with me! I was beginning to think that this thread turned into a big bash session.
So Rabicle, THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
I guess I prefer more happy endings than the ones provided by some animes.

Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Samurai Pizza Cats, Sailer Moon (sort of), Pokemon and Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 are the only animes I have ever watched. I don't remember much of Pizza Cats (except for when they slide down those tubes and get those suits) or Sailer Moon (except for the fact that they were the hottest chicks), cause they were on Aggro's Cartoon Connection (remember that?) when I was starting primary school.
I like Pokemon cause everyone actually remains SANE!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2003, 09:03:55 AM »
Try watching Rurouni Kenshin, Naruto, or Hellsing.  They might be more up your alley.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2003, 01:45:08 PM »
Yeah.....if I can find them in my video store.

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2003, 07:36:43 PM »
It's a fantastic anime, but if you like happy endings, do NOT pick up Saikano when it comes out in the USA

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2003, 06:02:45 PM »
Well, that would make it harder, since I'm from Sydney and all.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2003, 06:25:47 PM »
all this talk of happy endings gets me so frustrated.  I like a happy ending and all, but the "happy ending" has become so americanized.  I f we all dont end in a group hug, no one wants to see it.  Anime hits you hard sometimes, that is part of why it is so loved, it abolishes those preconceptions that everything will be fine if you just behave.  The world is not sugar-coated and there should be things which relay that in a tactful way.  In alot of animes things turn out to be at least slightly negative.  Ever see Vampire Princess Miyu.  The whole show is exploiting human frailties.  They even show things which we consider good traits to be negative.  All i am saying is that you take it as something seperate, don't compare it to what you have seen before.

2nd most depressing ending I can remeber:  M.D. Geist
3rd ""    "    "       "      "    "     "     "    "    "  :  X/1999

1st and happiest ending EVER:  Love Hina (not just Love Hina but the whole saga including Christmas, spring and again)
2nd most happiest: Chobits

Weirdest ending ever:  FLCl      (as if you needed to ask)  
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2003, 06:27:19 PM »
MOST DEPRESSING ANIME EVER:

Grave Of The Fireflies.

Watch it, then feel the pain.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2003, 06:33:37 PM »
oh yes, that surely was an emotional voyage was it not.... but you are right Doctor.   However this stuff is important, the art and presentation and everything was so beautifully done, that is why it was so depressing, was the tremendous power it held over anyone who dare watch it.  truly a movie that is made to make the watcher a better perosn through surviving the hardship andured by those 2 children.
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Evangelion
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2003, 09:36:18 PM »

Originally posted by: RahXephon

Weirdest ending ever:  FLCl      (as if you needed to ask)

I only watched the first episode of FLCL.  I thought it was just plain stupid to tell the truth.  I didn't bother with watching the rest of them, although I know a lot of people love the series.  I just thought it was beyond the point of weirdness and right into the retarded class.

But I do seriously agree with you on the happy ending point.  I have always wished for an unhappy ending now and then, and I was quite pleased when I discovered that anime sometimes ends on a downward note.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Evangelion
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 06:31:50 PM »
I've always wanted to get into this anime, but I'm not sure which one is the best one. Should I watch the original (and if I do, is the dub very good?) or should I watch one of the now three different movies instead?