Author Topic: 2 cubes in less then 6 months? why me?  (Read 23547 times)

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
2 cubes in less then 6 months? why me?
« on: February 04, 2004, 02:56:35 PM »
Well I had my original  cube since launch and about 5-6 months ago it died on me, all of a sudden the disc just would no longer spin. So I replaced it with a new one.
Well the one I replaced it with died tonight.

I am so frustrated  right now. Anyone know if Nintendo will fix something like this. I no longer have the receipt and really hate if they are making the cubes shotty like the Playstation 2 just to up there sales numbers as I am sort a forced to buy a new one seeing I have over a freggin 100 games I no longer can play now.

Has anyone else had this problem? up till now I was die hard Nintendo promoter but  I am rally just in a super bad mood over this right now.

Any suggestions?? contact info?? similar stories??    

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:2 cubes in less then 6 months? why me?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 03:09:50 PM »
I've had my cube since launch and it's still working fine. I would call Nintendo's help line (check Nintendo.com), since your cube is within the year warranty. Be sure to have the serial number from the bottom handy too, as well as a rough estimate of when you bought it.
You have to expect these things to happen. The cube will eventually wear out if you're constantly playing games.

100 games? Wow, you must have both tons of money and lots of free time...  

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
RE: 2 cubes in less then 6 months? why me?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 03:13:31 PM »
Fiirst thing to do is to calm down. Take a breath and try and salvage the situation.

I did have similiar situation a while where I bought my 'Cube, and around 1 year to the day that I bought it, it just croaked. I called up Nintendo's customer service, who then told me I was under warranty, so they'd ship one free of charge. All I had to do was to send it to an authorized Nintendo Repair place.

If you just this one, just call Nintendo and tell them your situation. They'll ask for the serial number, and verify you're under warrranty. If you are, follow their instructions on how to replace it. Chances are they'll ship a new one free of charge..

What you will need is some patience, as it could take 1-2 weeks. Hope that helps you.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 03:26:10 PM »
hey, thanks, yes  a few deep breaths and tomorrow i'll search for a # and give a call.

how can they tell when i bought it from  the serial # ?

i sure hope i remembered to send in the warrenty card... rrrrgggghhhhh.....

Offline Syl

• O_o
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 06:05:54 PM »
I've also had mine since launch (litereally, i was 14th in line) and nothings gone wrong with it at all but the "open" cover is a little sticky somtimes, but not often.

I'm kinda curious to know what your doing to your cube that would cause it to die on you.

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 02:18:28 AM »
sad thing is, Nothing... i open it shut it and take  super good care of it.

i'd understand if i was being rough with it or something but no , i  am not .

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 02:56:25 AM »

Originally posted by: StRaNgE

how can they tell when i bought it from  the serial # ?

At most stores, when a console (or computer or high end TV) is scanned to be checked out, the checkout is usually promted to scan the Serial number too. I assume that's sent to some sort of data bank to keep track of when the cube was bought.

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 04:21:16 AM »
well so far so good.

i think i will post on here to keep all of you updated as to how this progresses.

1st, yes my system was still under warentee, all checked out and it was registered when sold to me.

today i will be packaging it up as requested by the web site that i used nintendo.com . i have a regestered account there which made this easier by far to do this.

i was told the return time would be 5-7 days , i assume that is from when they receive it so  i'm hoping 10 days  total of being cubeless.

as i hear more i will keep you posted. i have heard wonderful things from you all on nintendo's customer service so  keeping my fingers crossed that i receive that same great service.

thanks

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 04:35:15 PM »
No prob, strange.  I know you won't feel the effects of 'Cube withdrawl right away, but trust me,  you'll feel an odd tinge. Some things to do while you wait:

1)Read. If there's a novel, comic, manga (same thing, only different...), trashy romance book you've been holding off, now's a good time read it.

2) Play another system if you have one. Play the hell out of it. Make some up challenges (play with out dying, do large chunks, etc.)

3) Hang with friends. Self explantory.

Before you know it, you'll get new 'Cube, and you'll be rearing to go.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 06:13:56 AM »
ha h ah, yeah i feel it already, my cube is all bundled up sitting there in  buble wrap. lol.

worst thing is i just bought a new game for it. beyond good and evil and never even got to see it turn on. lol

so today i bring the boxed up cube to a suggested fed Ex location for free drop off.
stage one will be complete in a couple hours.

i'll keep ya posted on how long it takes to get back.

Offline SuperLink666

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2004, 11:55:31 AM »
6 months.. they will fix it for free .

Just call them up they should be cool about it. I had mine about 1 1/2 years and they fixed it for free. And its not like I threw it around it was obviously their mistake inside the system
www.warppipe.com
GameCube games - Playable online!

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2004, 12:59:38 PM »
ok, update!!!!

so far this day has been hell.

i am so pissed about fed Ex, i am going to write Nintendo and tell then to switch to UPS.

i had to go to two different fed Ex locations and still never got a printed label or printed reciept. i stayed on hold myself inbetween these two locations for over 30 minutes. waiting to find  out what was the problem.

hell i almost just said screw it and paid to have the cube sent UPS intstead.

the online system fed Ex has is horrible, a waste of time. i could have made enough money  to buy multiple cubes in the time it took for me to  deal with getting mine shipped out.

and still it will not go out till monday and i have to take the word of the people at the local center that over the weekend it will not get misplaced while waiting for fed Ex to show up with a label.

this is not directly nintendo's fault but it does not represent them well at all......

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2004, 03:22:53 PM »
Hmmm... Tampering with your mail is a federal offense, and besides, who's stupid enough to 'misplace' a bum 'Cube?

What I did, was go to an authorized Nintendo Repair center (Usually mom-and pop electronic stores that have the Nintendo label with Mario and a Screwdriver), told them my dillema, and they shipped it out, free of charge.

Just exercise a little more patience, and it'll blow over.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2004, 03:50:36 AM »
I guess I must be coming off wrong, I so much patience it is sickening, lol.

Just think the system fed ex is using is  ridiculous and so do the people that  work  at the suggested mail centers. One even lost his cool with fed ex and canceled the service right there and just gave me a phone # to call.

Just  sucked wasting an entire day trying to ship it out when I should have been able to walk in and walk out in 5 minutes.

I used the Nintendo web site and my Nintendo account to do this whole process so far, the Nintendo side of things seems smooth enough so far. Just would have been smoother using ups as they have this type of system down better from what the mail centers  say as well as from what I have used in the past is all.

Now I wait, it will probably be a week or more before the next update.

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
RE:2 cubes in less then 6 months? (Official "My GameCube is broke thread")
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2004, 09:20:18 AM »
Update  for Monday  Feb 9th.

i decided to wait till after the weekend to email Nintendo to tell them of my wasted day last Friday. This way the letter would be sincere andd not just a ball of anger towards Fed Ex.

I really hope  that they do consider a switch to UPS as that would make this process so much easier for anyone in the future.

my cube is still in travel  from what i can tell on mynintendo account.

I do give props to the website and  set up so far.

i'll update again in a couple days.

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2004, 02:26:58 AM »
Update for Tuesday Feb 10th:

Today at work i received a call from NOA. i was surprised to hear from them. They called to apologize for my bad experiance friday with fed Ex and to make a formal letter about the system. Turns out Nintendo  has just recently started using this system with Fed Ex within the last 4 months to 6 months. They guy sounded very concerned to get the story of what gappened and he made a note in his computer about it and then surprisingly offered me  a free players guide.

i did not really need one at this moment so i opted to go ahead and take a metroid prime as i  have only been able to complete it with about 89% over the years.

anyway, i again have to give two thumbs up on Nintendo's customer service . A follow up cal  call was not expected and showed that  a huge corperation can go  that extra mile  for the little guy.  My package was verified as being sent and should be in the hands of Nontendo sometime today, (wed).

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
RE: 2 cubes in less then 6 months? (Official "My GameCube is broke thread")
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2004, 04:12:04 PM »
Looks like we have another satisfied costumer...

I would've squeezed something off, but hey, free is free.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2004, 11:00:31 AM »
another update.

Friday the 13th.

checked status today and it has been shipped, went out yesterday and is due in by the 18th/

here is the real catch... it is being shipped by , that's right you guessed it UPS.

guess my complaint with Fed Ex set up actually made a difference.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2004, 04:16:07 PM »
There you go. Just 5 more days.  You're almost there.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2004, 06:33:23 PM »
Final UPDATE 2-18-04

Gamecube was shipped back today as scheduled.
all seems to be woring with it as should be. there is a small  bit of scratches that were not there when i shipped it out on the top door window but no huge deal.

anyway, Nintendo customer service was  very good and they shipped the cube back using UPS.

i threw in beyond good and evil for the 1st time tonight to try it all out and damn , this game is Awesome. a great story that pushes it even further.

if you have not played it and you enjoy Zelda type games, get it ASAP...

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2004, 06:27:48 AM »
My GameCube died on Friday (right after Radio Trivia, actually).  Description of problem:

When I turn my system on, the fan turns on and stays on.  The power light flashes on for a second.  There is no A/V output.

Since it is modded for JPN gmaes, Nintendo wouldn't repair it (even for money), so I've sent it to NCS for repair.  They charge $30 + shipping TO them (cost me $10)--the same price as their GC mod.  They said they couldn't guaruntee a fix, but they say they can fix "most" problems.  I suspect a fuse burned out, as other systems act similarly when this is the case, so I have high hopes.  NCS did an excellent mod job on my system 2 years ago. I'll keep you guys posted.

$40 sure beats $130+ for a new modified GC, or Nintendo's $70 service charge for systems out of warranty.  
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2004, 12:53:03 PM »
Well, it seems nobody cares about my poor GameCube, but I figured I would follow up anyways for future readers.  NCS has fixed my system--it WAS a fuse--and has shipped it back my way UPS.  I'll post here again if any complications arise, but I very much trust them and would recommend them to anyone who can't get their system repaired under warranty.
Nintendo World Report

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2004, 07:05:56 PM »
i care, i care a whole lot! but given none of my consoles have ever suffered any technical malfucntions outside my n64's expansion pack, i don't really check this forum that often. i think i've been pretty damn lucky regarding my consoles .
OUT OF DATE.

Offline benjamin1254

• View Profile
RE: Official "My GameCube is broke thread"
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2004, 03:42:06 PM »
i have a gamecube problem...sorta funny realy! i was playing need for speed underground for a few days w/o rest. i got all cought up in the game! suddenly my cube poped up with a disc read error... i though "how strange my this is a new game this shouldent happen!" so i opened it up let it cool and played again... it was fine tell just about 2 months ago when it quit reading the game discs. The motor for the cd spinner i checked was fine, the fan was spinning ok, the lense is clean and so are all my game discs. i dont even know how in the world it would be getting a disc read error unless the programing or something else aint right inside. I need help! any ideas of what it could be? any other ideas rather than sending it in?
plz get back to me asap!
thanx!
one great man said it takes time to think but it takes ages to build!

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
RE:Official "My GameCube is broke thread"
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2004, 05:29:49 PM »
Listen to it boot up a game and see if it makes any weird noises.
Apart from ringing NOA and seeing if they think it is worthwhile sending it to them, who knows.

Is it only one disc (NFSU) or is it not reading every game you have?

Offline HexicDASH

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2004, 03:51:28 PM »
I have a rather strange problem, or at least I havn't heard of any others similar to it.

A while ago my brother had his friends over and they were playing the GameCube.  I suppose one of them got a little too into the game and pulled his controller too far, pulling the GameCube off the small shelf it was rested on, a fall of about 3 1/2 feet.  The system supposedly landed on it's front end (I was not there to witness the actual event, so I'm going on what my brother told me happened).  The system works fine, it still runs games, there's not even any cosmetic damage (Good 'ole sturdy Nintendo products), however for some reason the 1st Controller Port doesn't read at all.  I've tried using different controllers, and even one that was purchased later after the incident, and none of them worked.  It's like the 1st port simply died.  None of the other ports are effected (I had a nice 3-way SSBMelee match with some friends not too long ago) as well both memory card slots are fine.

At first I didn't think it was too big a deal, seeing as I could just control with the other ports.  However, I soon realised that most games I really liked playing (Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, WindWaker, etc) only read from the 1st port, essentially rendering these games unplayable on my system.

I do not believe that it is under warenty, since the system is 2 or 3 years old, and so I was wondering if maybe anyone here has heard of or experienced a similar problem, and if I need to just go buy a new GameCube, or try and get it fixed.

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2004, 07:24:01 PM »
Well, I'm guessing that when the Cube fell on its front end, the most pressure was applied to controller port 1, and the pins were either damaged or shifted. I'd look closely in the port, and try poking the pins around with a screwdriver or a pair of tweezers a bit (while the power is off, of course .)

As a last resort if you think you'll have to buy a new one, you could take apart the Cube for a closer inspection... maybe try to replace port 1 with port 4 or something, but I doubt it would work and the Cube would look ugly afterwards.

If that doesn't work, call Nintendo, I doubt there's much else you could do, sorry.  
Om mani padme hum.

Offline Spork024

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2004, 07:05:21 PM »
Well benjamin1254 you are not alone.  My friend let me borrow his Cube for a while as like 2 days after I had it it started to not read the disks, even when i was already playing.  At first it would not read Metroid Prime (which was like the only game that i really wanted to play which really sucks), then when i actually did get it working after like 10 minutes of messing around it would just say "an error has occured".  Now if it actually does read the game when i turn it on i will be lucky to get to the "Press Start" screen.  It would be great to find a simple solution to the problem and not have to send it in, which i will probably not do because i don't even own it in the first place.  Any input would be great.

Offline princessdiana75

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2004, 02:58:03 AM »
I've read every single post on this topic and i'm assuming my only choice is to send in my cube for repairs. I hadn't played my gamecube for a LOOOONG time. Then i started to around last christmas. i finally beat Eternal darknes (i so loved that game) and i left the everything on (the tv, the cube, etc.) when the game was over, walked across the room to go on the internet for about 20 minutes and when i came back...my tv screen was blank. No matter what i did the nothing would happen when i tried to play the game, the screen would stay blank. (i'm assuming it's the same problem as the person with the broken fuse or whatever) The power light comes on, the fan runs, but i think the disc doesn't spin, leaving a blank screen. The problem is i'm going to have to send it in to who knows where for probably an outrageous amount of money, which is why it's now June and still haven't gotten fixed since January when it broke. I know i definitly am not on warranty...But i do so want to get it fixed! That's what brought me here!
If nothing ever changed there would be no butterflies...

Offline Duo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2004, 06:27:55 AM »
I have the exact same problem. I've tried fixing it, it seemed one of the connectors had been burnt out. It had no effect. I'm going to look in there again though, and see if  the cable is loose on one side. I've heard of many other people having this problem too though, and it is ALWAYS the first port. I will see why. I will be going into my gamecube, and if I fix it, I will post my conclusions. If I don't fix it, I will post my WTF statement.

Offline evil intentions

• winged people + card battling = suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2004, 09:47:59 AM »
I've never had any problems with my systems.  I'm not sure if I'm lucky, or you guys just take really bad care of them.

I would sugguest just buying a new gamecube.  But that's just me because I like to take the easier way out of things.
Quote<BR> Originally posted by: Hostile Creation<BR>
But yea, dead when muted was my intention. . . EVIL INTENTION THAT IS ha ha ha.
<BR><BR>Buy Baten Kaitos..you

Offline Duo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2004, 12:29:51 PM »
My brother's friends treat them awfully. They've broken a total of SIX, yes SIX Gamecube controllers, gotten the reset button stuck, AND broken the first controller port. I just fixed the first controller port and the reset button, but I had to throw out all the bad controllers.

Anyway, I have the solution. To fix it, all you will need is a soldering iron, solder, tape, and a 4.5mm gamebit screwdriver to open the Gamecube. The tape can just be scotch tape, the soldering should have a fine tip (you can buy one at Radioshack), the solder you can get at Radioshack, and the gamebit here: http://www.jandaman.com/games.mvc?p=gamebit45&Category_code=GC. You can also do a google search for gamebit 4.5mm if you want to try for a better price. Some tool shops even have it. NOTE: Check inside the Gamecube to see which problems you have BEFORE buying supplies, as you might not need all of the supplies. The only tool I assure you that you will need is the Gamebit screwdrier. Right, so using the gamebit screwdriver, you unscrew the four corner screws on the Gamecube (look on the bottom, each corner should have a hole. The screws are at the bottom of a hole). Then flip over the Gamecube (BE SURE TO HOLD BOTH THE TOP AND THE BOTTOM OR IT WILL FALL APART). Then, take the top off. Be sure not to lose any of the screws, or the top. Then, unclip the grey front panel. Near the center, there should be a number of metal lines which go off into a cable. Now, there will be between 1 and 3 things wrong here. The first is that one of the metal connectors hooked up to the cable will be burnt, and broken. This is where the soldering iron and solder comes in. Now, this is the difficult part. Your goal is to solder the broken connector back together. Plug in the soldering iron, and wait for it to heat up. Then, bridge the gap in the connector with solder (melt the solder with the iron at the gap). DO NOT BRIDGE THIS CONNECTOR WITH ANY OTHER CONNECTOR. IF ANY CONNECTORS ARE BRIDGED YOUR GAMECUBE WILL BECOME SERIOUSLY DAMAGED WHEN POWERED UP. BE SURE THE GAP IN THE CONNECTOR IS THE ONLY THING BRIDGED, AND THAT NO TWO CONNECTORS ARE BRIDGED. Then, hold the soldering iron to the solder for about 10-30 seconds, until the solder starts to "flow" (which is when it is really liquidy). Then, stop. Remove the soldering iron from the place you are soldering, and unplug it. The solder will dry. REMEMBER TO MAKE SURE ONLY THE GAP IN THE CONNECTOR IS BRIDGED! IF ANY CONNECTORS ARE BRIDGED, IT WILL SEVERLY DAMAGE YOUR GAMECUBE. Now, that was the hard fix. The next fix is far simpler. This is the fix where you need the scotch tape. Ok, look to where on the board the cable is going. Right where the actual cable (the cable itself, not the plastic connector on the end) meets the plastic cable, the cable might be pulled out. Push the cable into the plastic connector. There should be a good place along the cable to push from. It will crease the cable, but it doesn't matter. Now tape the cable into the plastic connector. The final thing is to check whether the plastic connector is plugged in all the way. If it isn't, plug it in all the way.

After all of that, close up your gamecube in the manner you opened it. Stick the top back on, and check to see that all the buttons of the Gamecube are in the proper position. Also make sure they work properly. Then, flip over the Gamecube with a hand on either side of it (so it doesn't fall apart), and replace the screws in the holes, and screw them in. Now, test your Gamecube for an EXTENDED period of time. One of four things should happen. If your Gamecube boots, and you find that the first controller port works, then congratulate yourself. You've fixed it. If the first controller port still doesn't work, or cuts out after a while, try opening up your Gamecube again, and firming the plastic connector and/or the cable, and/or holding the soldering iron on the solder a while longer (10-20 seconds). Be sure not to burn the board with the iron. Keep trying until it works. If the cube doesn't boot, you are SCREWED. Check to make sure no connectors are bridged, and that everything is in order. Hopefully, its jsut the top on wrong, but you could've just burnt out your cube. Ok, the last possibility is that the first controller cuts out after a very long time. If this is so, try unplugging it and replugging it. If you are worried, carry out the operation until it works.

Anyway, that's the best I can do. If none of that works, that you are out of luck. I give no guarentees, as I have only found this to work on one system. I also don't guarantee you won't damage your Gamecube more, or break it. I tried to reduce that with warnings, but hey, people are people and we make mistakes.

Good luck!  

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2004, 06:37:40 PM »
Mine has been sort of broken for about 3 weeks now and I'm just now getting round to finding out why.  I say sort of because it works when I sit around messing with it and talking nice to it(i.e., screaming curses while restraining the urge to shake and kick sense into it) for a bit.  Even then, loading times are very slow, I've noticed that sometimes the audio begins playing a few seconds before the accompanying video, when trying to view the cinematics audio sometimes skips and the video freezes/framerate slows considerably.  The longest I've gotten it to run is a little over an hour.  I've been getting both the 'cannot read gamedisc' and the general 'there has been an error' messages.

If I wouldn't have gotten it to actually play a game, I would have happily dropped it off the roof onto the sidewalk to watch it get smashed.

Any possible suggestions, aside from sending it to Nintendo for repair or buying a new one?  I'm no longer under warranty so paying $70+ for repairs is really pointless when I can have a new one to break on me for about the same price.

Offline Modder on fodder

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2004, 06:22:50 PM »
I have had my camecube stop reading disc. A vrm code problem I belive{ or was that my PS1 } After two nights of no sleep I {silly me } found a way to fix it. When I fixed it I made it faster. Sometimes my gamecube would slow down if too many people were on screen. this was back when I first got it. Now with Madden 04 and Metal Arms would slow down. and I have  no clue how to mode it to the next level. Do you know.

i need to go back to gbs
Screw you guys I'm going home

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2004, 06:36:30 AM »
My Gamecube finally died yesterday afternoon just randomly, and I was kinda odded out by it. I've been busy for the past week doing stuff before I head off for college, so my Cube hasn't been getting as much play as it used to. I've actually been playing a lot of Paper Mario on the N64 when I had the time to play games. So maybe the Cube got jealous?

But yesterday, my sister wanted to play a game, and so I set it all up for her, and when I turned the system on, nothing happened. The light never came on, and there was no image or sound from the TV; nothing. I messed around with the cables, checking them kinda compulsively, and turned it on again. The fan went on, so it WAS getting power, and it wasn't the AV Cables. So, while it was on, I popped the top, and I could see the laser fine, but the disc was not spinning. I searched around online, and figured it needed to be cleaned, so I got a vacuum and some q-tips and went mad cleaning the fan and the vent on the side. Still won't work. I peeked inside the rightside vent, and saw that there was still a lot of dust clogging the little holes inside. I can't open it, however, because I don't have the little screwdrive bitpiece with the six sides. I've found one online for 6 bucks, but the shipping is around 30 bucks more!!

I'm still looking to see if I can get one from a friend (since a lot of PCs use similar screws), or maybe Gamestop has one. But, otherwise, my Cube is out of comission for a while. My warranty ran out years ago (I got the Cube the day after Christmas in '01), and I really don't want to shell out 70 bucks for Nintendo to fix it, or send it to some company I've never dealt business with before (like these NCS guys). If it's something I can do myself, I really really wanna do it myself, and not have to spend cash having someone else do it. I'm cheap, and I need my GCN back in working condition as soon as possible.

So, do you guys have any insight? help? suggestions? I'd really appreciate your assistance. Thanks in advance, for me AND my little purple cube
~StartropicsNSSB
Hero: Jump, Robot! C'mon! You can make it!
Robot: I'm a robot. I can't jump. *falls down chasm and dies*
--FF Adventure, classic

Offline Munntendo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2004, 03:32:01 PM »
I seem to be having a similair problem to PrincessDiana75 and Startropics NSSB.

My gamecube seems to have just died today.  After pushing the power button the light turns on and the fan runs but I don't get any audio or video output and the disc does not seem to be spinning.  If anyone has successfluy fixed a similair problem I'd very much like to hear about it.

Offline jon_roffel

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2004, 01:00:52 PM »
My Gamecube's discs no longer spin, ive checked it out and to the best of my knowledge this is the problem. its about 3 years old and im wondering if there is a certain type of motor or if i could use a motor from say a ps1 or something.

I just noticed that the sound ive been hearing isnt the laser but the motor trying to turn, im going to try to clean teh motor, if i can find a gamebit screwdriver, and check that out... any suggestions for gamebit alternatives other than a bic pen, (Strips to easy) PLease let me know asap

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Jon  

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2004, 06:51:56 AM »
Well, I found a friend who had the bitpiece I needed, and opened the Cube up, and it was pretty clean for the most part. So it wasn't dust... I read that the Cube will shut itself off automatically if there's too much dust clogging the system, so that may be the case for the rest of you, but not for myself. We put it back together, and it still does the same thing: just the fan runs. I don't want to pay shipping and the like to have it sent out and fixed. However, Gamestop, I found out, can take your old (even broken) Gamecube, and sell you another used one for 65. The guy wouldn't answer me on whether it was refurbished or not.. but still. I also heard from an online friend that the Toys R Us near him is selling the Zelda bundle for 50 bucks, though it doesn't say anything like that on the toysrus.com site.

Bleh... I'm leaving for school in 6 days,  3 states away, and I still don't have my Gamecube back
~StartropicsNSSB
Hero: Jump, Robot! C'mon! You can make it!
Robot: I'm a robot. I can't jump. *falls down chasm and dies*
--FF Adventure, classic

Offline Munntendo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2004, 06:54:38 PM »
Alright, I'll be the first to admit, I'm not too big on the idea of cracking open the case of my cube, even if it isn't under warranty any more.  So I wound up trading it in at EB for $25 and I picked up a used one.  This one works, but for some reason when I play metroid prime now the screen is off center.  It can be fixed in the options menu but still, struck me as a bit odd.  It has also occured to me that my problem could quite probably have been due to the cube overheating because I happen to keep it in a closed cabinet with all my other TV related entertainment devices.

Offline MinnesotaGM

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2004, 09:05:30 AM »
My Gamecube wont work(of course)I have no idea how it broke it just stopped playing ALL of my discs. I have messed with every thing and it wont play. then after an hour of turning it on and off it works, then it says and error has accured and junk like that on my screen after i play for about a min or 2 the fan runs but i dont think the Cd turner is turning, I cant buy a new one or get it fixed cause i dont have enough money. but i want it to work please help me.  
My Gamecube wont play discs it goes  to the menu instead and when I go to play disc it says there's no disc in.(it happens with all discs)

Offline andthehercules

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2004, 06:30:57 AM »
munntendo - my display is off to the left slightly too. Because my tv decides 60htz should be off by about 10 pixels (same with 60htz from my xbox too). most 60htz games have a screen adjust for this very reason. could this be your problem?

I've broken two official pads in a week . my own fault i admit, through rage at endless deaths on eternal darkness, and the stupidly difficult first boss on metroid prime.

On one both triggers are now R (mad huh?).
On the other the left analogue stick is completely detached and has ceased to work.
Although i doupt it, can either of these be repaired?

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2004, 08:02:31 AM »
this thread scares me to death... >_<

*tries his gamecube*

CRAP! Its not working!... wait... I have the av/out connected to my N64, silly me... jeez, I almost had a heart attack ^_^;;

This is the first time ever Ive heard of people having trouble with a Nintendo system, I hope all of you can fix the problem, (well, the thread is old, most of this people arent even around...)

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline andthehercules

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2004, 12:32:37 PM »
i'm still around!  i did fix one of my pads, opened it up and found the left stick had snapped under the circular 'hood' bit. I superglued a metal pin into the stick and then into the pad, and viola!  its not 100%, sometimes the spring doesn't reutnr the stick to the middle, but it works fine for most stuff.

Offline NiteSaiya

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2004, 10:04:17 AM »
These forums are great so far... [/sarcasm]

My Cube has been having power problems ever since my gf's nephew opened it in the middle of her playing Viewtiful Joe. When he first did it, it wouldn't turn on until you tried for a minute or two, but now, you click the power button, and the little Orange Light on the top either stays off or comes on for a few seconds before turning off a gain. Generally it just halfway comes on then fades off again. My gf got it to work a few times by messing with the box on the power cord, is that the converter? I got it to work a few times just by smacking the actual Cube. We got 2 hours of 1080: Snowboarding out of smacking the Cube itself, but that was just once and now we can't get it to work anymore. Any clue what the problem is?

(edit: I also started hearing a high-pitched whine comeing from my 'Cube. )

Also, my controller does that annoying right-tilt thing. I fix it by re-plugging it like I would if I activated the system with the joystick tilted.

Btw, I've had the system since the Christmas following launch.

Offline NiteSaiya

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2004, 07:43:50 PM »
Lot of good moving my post out of its topic into this thread. It lessened my chances of actually getting help by 90% seeing as how so few people will actually be reading through these posts. People browse topics, they know what they'll find in this one so they won't look in it or try to help.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2004, 11:24:28 PM »
That's not really how it works at PGC. Sure, you can get more attention by posting a new attention-grabbing topic, but it's usually the bad kind of attention. And the little "blue folder" icons tell us when there's a new post in an old thread.

As for your problem, I don't think that opening your Cube in mid-game can damage your system, as long as nobody accidentally fed it cookies while it was open, or anything crazy like that.

It sounds like a power problem. Like, if you unplug one of your systems, then turn it on, a power light will sometimes turn on for a bit, then fade, like you described. Because there's still just a tiny bit of juice left in the system (or maybe in the power brick), but it's not enough to run anything.

And yes, the brick on the power cable is the power converter. If your girlfriend got things working for a while by fiddling with the brick, then the brick might be the problem. Sometimes cords get stiff and the wires start to crack inside, so the connection gets a bit "iffy". Shifting the cables around can sometimes get the seperated pieces to push back up against each other for a while, but it's only a temporary fix.

Bonking your Cube could theoretically vibrate those wires into a good position, but there are easier and less-harmful ways to do that. Like just poking at the wire (especially if you can isolate exactly which section of wire is the best area to poke).

Another possible theory is that the connection point on your Cube where you plug in the power cable has become somewhat loose from it's circuit board. That sometimes happens to various systems. Usually if you connect and disconnect your systems somewhat frequently.

AFAIK, the only moving part that should be able to make a steady whine is the fan. It might be gunked up with dust or something. If that's it, then it's not really a problem, because the Cube doesn't even make enough heat to really "need" the fan.

I have heard really high-pitched sound coming from bad power packs before though, if you don't think it's a "fan" kind of sound. Can you hear exactly if the sound's coming from your Cube, or the brick in the power cable?

If it's coming from the brick in your cable, then I'd say that your power cable is definitely your problem, and you need to chuck it out the window (make sure there are no people outside first) and get a new one.

If the sound's coming from your Cube, and it's not the fan, then there might be something wrong with something on your Cube's motherboard, at which point your only hope is to get it "repaired" by Nintendo. If your warranty's expired, it'll cost you $70 (but it will absolutely fix every problem, because they'll just give you another Cube), so you might be better off just buying an new GameCube at that point.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline NiteSaiya

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2004, 11:42:03 PM »
Thanks a ton for the response! x3 Sorry for bein' a bit evil in my first few posts, It was just I was expecting all of that and when it actually happened it somehow made me feel worse.

Anyways, I vacuumed my 'Cube with a soft attachment, so dust isn't much of a factor, at least in the regions nearest the side vents.

The whine sounds high-pitched in an electronic sort of way, and comes right out of the 'Cube, so bleh.

I got the 'Cube to work almost 80% of the time I did it by smacking it while holding it by its handle, so the controler ports were facing down, but not straight down, like at an angle (like this angle, but a little steeper: /. Then just leaving it on something to keep it at that steep angle while I played.

But then my controller went out, it had the right-tilt tendancies and now it's totally gone, thus multiplayer got removed.

I read Nintendo.com's troubleshooting page on the GC and tomorrow I'll try resetting the AC Adapater (brick?). But most likelly I'll need to drive 22.4 miles (nifty map service on that site) to a store in OKC to get it repaired. But I heard you got $ off by trading in a 'Cube, no matter the condition. If so, I need to find out where, and it'd be really sweet to trade my busted 'Cube in, and then only pay 65$ for a new 'Cube and get the free game, like the Zelda package with it. Dunno if that's possible, but it'd be cool.

Thanks again for that response!

Offline NiteSaiya

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2004, 09:11:24 PM »
An update: I tried the method suggested one nintendo.com on how to reset the AC Adapter, and then plugging in one and only one peice at a time. So there are never 2 parts plugged in at once. I found my gimpy controller that just failed me was the only thing that caused the problem, so I put it away. I then set everything up but now my good controller is doing the same thing, even though it was fine during the test, it shuts down power when everything else is hooked up I guess. I might mess with the controller ports. But chances are I'll get my 'Cube repaired or store it for memories and focus on a shiny Nintendo DS.  

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2004, 02:20:46 PM »
Your GC problem sounds somewhat like the power problem I had with my GC (posted earlier in this thread).  It cuts in and out, which I think is worse than constantly off like my system's blown fuse...I recommend you purchase a new GameCube.
Nintendo World Report

Offline laser

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2004, 08:12:14 PM »
I just fixed two broken gamecubes, both would not play any disks.  One of them did not spin the disk at all and the other would spin the disk for a few seconds and stop.  Both of them just had dirty lenses and they are fine now.  If you want to clean the lens yourself, you'd have to be very careful.  I work as a technologist for a graphic arts equipment manufacturer and I work on optics.  Here is a quick instruction on what I did.  

Warning: if you follow these instructions and make a small mistake, you could ruin your gamecube!  Remember that the gamecube uses a laser so it is best to unplug the power before inspecting the lens.  It has a safety interlock so the laser will be off, but unplug the power anyway.  Finally, if your gamecube works, don't mess with it.  (in case you want to clean the lens just for the heck of it)

The lens is mounted on a delicate spring.  It actually makes small movements during gameplay to keep it in focus on the game disk.  If you bend or push that spring too much then it will not be able to focus the laser on the disk and it will never work again.  You will have to take it in to Nintendo and pay the flat-rate repair charge.  

Disconnect the gamecube and take it to a well-lit table.  Open the top cover, the lens is that small round disc just on the other side of the spindle.  It is mounted in a square plastic housing that moves back and forth in that slot.  It is a plastic lens.

Use a flashlight and magnifying glass and see if you can see anything on the surface of the lens.  It may look cloudy like a buildup of air pollution, cigarette smoke, or whatever else deposits on the lens over time.  It may also have fingerprints, they will look like irregular lines.  Dust will look like sparkles.  

If you have an air duster, use that first.  Set the spray on low or medium and see if spraying gets the cube working again.  The air duster will get rid of dust but not the cloudy buildup or fingerprints.

I used a q-tip and I sprayed a couple of drops of windex on the tip.  Shake off any excess windex from the q-tip.  This is important because you don't want to drip anything into the lens area.    Brush it across the lens carefully and rotate the q-tip as you brush.  Rotating the q-tip will lift off any contaminants from the lens so that you don't drag a bit of dust or something across the lens.   You will see the lens move, remember that delicate spring!  Use very light pressure or you will bend the spring.

I made 4 passes, one on the left side of the lens, left of center, right of center and the right side.  Quickly dry it with a dry q-tip, rotating the dry q-tip as you brush.  Inspect the lens with a magnifying glass.  It should look crystal clear with smooth reflections on the surface of the lens.

I've heard of some people using alcohol to clean the lens but a glass cleaner is better.  It dissolves fingerprints & oils better than isopropyl alcohol.  You have to dry it quickly so that you don't get streaks, same as a window.  Use a good quality q-tip (cotton swab) that does not have fuzz which could get into the lens area.  Avoid cotton swabs that have wood sticks.  Cellulose dust from the wood can end up on the cotton swab during manufacturing and that can scratch the lens.  The lens is plastic so it will scratch easily.

That is it!  Good luck and be careful.  Do this at your own risk and only attempt this on a dead gamecube as a last resort before taking it in for repair.  

Offline KingDave1682

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2004, 04:19:17 AM »
Laser, thanks for the advice.  I'm having massive trouble with my GC at the moment, the problem only started yesterday with FIFA 2005 with the game stopping all the time saying "Game disc could not be read" or something along those lines.  It's so frustrating as I only got the game a few days ago and am just getting into it!!!

I've tried doing what you've suggested by cleaning the lens, but still the problem persists.  It was ok this morning for 20mins or so, but then the problem began again.  Is it possible the laser warps or bends as the GC gets hotter?

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2004, 03:59:53 AM »
Random Comment that applied to me recently:
Check to see if its the power cord thats messed up.  I just had to buy a new cord instead an entire new cube cause of that.  

Offline joeski19

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2004, 04:23:47 AM »
I have the same problem disc not spinning.  Seems this is a problem with the GC.  I've had it since the release, so I figure the motor is burnt out or a fuse might have blown.

Offline MZero

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2005, 11:42:03 PM »
did you know with almost all DVD Roms (yes gamecube is a Mini DVD rom) they have laser voltages, take the PS2, the old modles seem to have a main problem, disc read error, an issue that sony knows about, but a really simple fix, inside the drive there is a voltage screw this controls the laser voltage, turn up the voltage and problem solved, i don't know if there is a voltage adjust on gamecibe since i haven't had any problems with mine, but it's worth look, i'll post a new message when and if i find out (planing on opening my cube to swap the orange led for a blue one, i'll let you guys know what i find)
Games are my line of work

Offline MZero

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2005, 12:05:24 AM »
there is a voltage adjust screw on gamecube, i payed for this big long repair book, it shows you how to do everything, i can almost fix every problem with a gamecube now. email me at MZeroEW2@hotmail.com if you want to know more

Offline MZero

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2005, 09:54:06 PM »
If you are having problems reading your games the first course of action is to always clean the laser. If you have already cleaned the laser and are still having problems the next step would be to try to tweak the laser. After time the laser may loser intensity and it will not focus on the disk information, this tweak will kick it up a notch, remember this it a temporary fix, it means your laser is dying if you have to do this

Step 1 remove the gamecube case, the fan and CD assembly

Step 2 remove the screws from the underside of the CD assembly that hold the metal shielding

Step 3 locate the tiny screw on the circuit board. There is only 1, you’ll see it when you look. Take a small Phillips head screwdriver and carefully turn the screw just a couple degrees counter-clockwise

Step 4 reassemble the gamecube without inserting any of the screws. You should be able to power on the system and check to see if it has improved. You will have to temporally hold down the lid switch so it will spin the disc it’s in the back right corner.

Step 5 did it improve? If not, adjust the screw we talked about again, if you adjusted the screw more then 30% of one full turn then your laser cannot be helped and it’s time for a new laser or gamecube.

If it did work great reinsert all of your screws and put your gamecube back together

Offline pinoy bassist

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2005, 04:43:58 PM »
well i have a problem with my gamecube. it seems when i play my nfl street 2 for awhile sometimes it freezes and makes a beeping noise. i'm not sure whats the problem but may have to do with the all the dust inside of the gamecube. any suggestions on what to do or whats wrong with my gamecube.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2005, 07:33:45 PM »
It's funny how I never knew any of the people in this thread even existed, other than TYP.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2005, 02:15:48 AM »
and yet they're all cooler than you.

How odd.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2005, 12:39:50 AM »
OMG my gamecube is broke.....no wait, sanity effect.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline noabody

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2006, 10:09:47 PM »
I have a used Gamecube that started making a loud whining noise while playing games.  It was clearly coming from the spindle motor.  Eventually the 'cube stopped reading discs.  It would spin and the laser was on and moving back and forth but the disc wouldn't read.  One day I realized that if the Gamecube was left on for between 15 and 20 minutes I could put a disc in and it would play fine.  I'd get an occasional read error.

Because of the indication I am fairly certain that the spindle motor is old.  I'm guessing it has a packed lubricant inside that has dried so there's more resistance in the motor.  I can see nothing is wrong with the spindle hub, the laser, laser sled, or servo motor.  I've read that the laser output changes slightly after being on for about 10 minutes so I tore the Gamecube apart and tweaked the laser power.  Less power is definitely worse but more power has no effect.  This reinforces the idea that the laser is working and the spindle motor isn't.

I'm guessing that as the Gamecube heats up some of that heat is transferred into the base of the spindle motor which softens it's lubricant enough to allow the motor to reach the proper sustained RPM.  If anyone has a similar experience or can shed some light on this than please do.  

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2006, 04:23:17 PM »
Wow, I'm very impressed. As a new user of the forums (right?), not only did you find the right board to write your query in (Tech. Discussion), but you didn't even make a new thread and your English was commendable.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to help you, but I really wish I could..  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline ljoe1969

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2006, 05:23:31 AM »
My gamecube will turn itself off after a few seconds. the fan still works though.

it is definately out of warranty i have had it about 5 years now.

i will take it apart this evening and look for a fuse. if it is a fuse wouldn't it not come on at all?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2006, 12:50:20 PM »
Does it turn itself off after the same amount of time each time?  Or does it sometimes run for 5 minutes, and sometimes for 5 seconds?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2006, 09:52:48 AM »
dont plug in the controller....see what happens... my  cubewas doing that when my nyko air flow malfunctioned
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline modchipman

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2006, 01:20:02 PM »
have you had a chance to try a replacement gamecube lens? I've had this problem in the past sometimes, and usually whats happening is the motor is still spinning properly, but the laser will conk out and give a DRE. I've had lasers that struggle to read right off the bat, read, and then die after 20-30 minutes of use. Try doing the pot tweak as outlined in this thread somewhere (url to a text file). I've had success with readings between 160-250 myself, in ohms.

see if that helps, it might. If not, then let us know

Originally posted by: noabody
I have a used Gamecube that started making a loud whining noise while playing games.  It was clearly coming from the spindle motor.  Eventually the 'cube stopped reading discs.  It would spin and the laser was on and moving back and forth but the disc wouldn't read.  One day I realized that if the Gamecube was left on for between 15 and 20 minutes I could put a disc in and it would play fine.  I'd get an occasional read error.

Because of the indication I am fairly certain that the spindle motor is old.  I'm guessing it has a packed lubricant inside that has dried so there's more resistance in the motor.  I can see nothing is wrong with the spindle hub, the laser, laser sled, or servo motor.  I've read that the laser output changes slightly after being on for about 10 minutes so I tore the Gamecube apart and tweaked the laser power.  Less power is definitely worse but more power has no effect.  This reinforces the idea that the laser is working and the spindle motor isn't.

I'm guessing that as the Gamecube heats up some of that heat is transferred into the base of the spindle motor which softens it's lubricant enough to allow the motor to reach the proper sustained RPM.  If anyone has a similar experience or can shed some light on this than please do.

great products, great service, great price

www.modchipman.com

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2006, 03:14:17 PM »
My cube is not dead but it is broken.  When Playing Megaman X it freezes on the last level or so.  I'll give that to being an annoying glitch in the game.  Ok.  Now heres the kicker.  When Playing MP2 it will randomly go to vertices.  Hmm...  When playing Battalion Wars it will blow up to Vertices to with everything in the wrong place and that's it.  So I though maybe it was the disc.  Call Nintendo and they don't have any record of someone with the same problem and suggested I try it on someone elses machine.  So I did and played Battalion Wars for a good hour, problem normally manifested in 30 minutes or less.  So that's my problem.  Any suggestions?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline gleckert

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2006, 01:22:34 PM »
I have had my 'cube for about 4 years.  I recently moved and when I got around to setting it back up a problem has occured that is frustrating me.  I turn it on and it plays for about 5 minutes, then I start getting read errors.  If I leave it off for awhile and restart it work ok for about 5 m inutes, then repeats.  Anyone have a potential solution?  Schematics?  Any usual thing that causes this?  Thanks!

--Greg

Offline DJ_Isher

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2006, 02:37:07 PM »
I think I'm having the same problem as some of the other users. My gamecube has recently started 'acting up' on me. It's like it has a 'mind of it's own' so to speak. Some days it works perfectly fine. Other days it just doesn't work at all. This bugs me because I just got resident evil 4, and I'm running through my first time one professional mode. I love that game.

Anyway. Down to the point. When I turn it on the fan works, but the power light doesn't come on. The fan sometimes works while this goes on. I'm thinking that this is either a fuse as mentioned by other users, or there's just too much dust inside the system.

Before I take it apart and look at it. I just want a recommendation as to what is going on.

Thanks to whomever helps me.

Offline DJ_Isher

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2006, 09:42:40 AM »
Me again. I'm having the same problems yet again. This time around though, I might have figured something out.
My newest 'cube I cleaned with compressed air and a vacuum with a soft brush attachment. It worked fine for about two days. No power problems. Then one night my friend came over and tripped over the controller wires.
My cube ended up falling only a foot onto the ground. Right onto the memory card port. The card was in there while it hit.

The power problems were back. Not only with one cube but my other defunked 'cube. The other had disc reading problems. I tried hooking both of my 'cubes up one at a time with either of the power cords. Both of them had the same problem they'd shut off after about an hour or sometime they would'nt turn on at all. I hadn't done the 'plug one accessory in at a time' method to finding out what the problem was. I made sure that both gamcubes were clean and working fine. Except the one, the one that had the disc read problem.

I kept playing with my memory card out, for fear of it going corrupt if it had shut off while I was saving something. I can't remember clearely if the power problems occured during the time the memory card was in there. But I do remember the 'cube shutting off everytime I though it was safe to plug the memory card in and save.

But today my girlfriend is bringing hers over. If I have power problems with that one then I'm going to test out my controllers and the cards to see if it is my memory card that is causing this. I'm not sure that a memory card can cause power problems though. By the way I forgot to mention what memory card I have. It's a black nintendo one it has 251 blocks of space on it. If I didn't describe it well enough PM me and I'll send you a pic.

Please don't tell me I have two broken 'cubes on my hands with the same problem. But if it is the memory card I'm going to have to buy a new one and then transfer all of my files to the new one without my gamecube shutting off.

I'm going to look for some answers on the official website.

Offline stevey

• Young HAWNESS
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2006, 02:15:26 PM »
If it both of them having power problems it might be your power outlet...
My Demands and Declarations:
nVidia is CRAP!!!
BOYCOTT Digest mode and LEGEND OF OO!

Your PM box will be spammed with Girl Link porn! NO EXCEPTION!
Wii want WaveBirds

Stevey Duff
NWR HAWTNESS Inspector
NWR Staff All Powerful Satin!

Offline austingaz

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2006, 10:56:57 PM »
hey ive had a problem with my console it makes tht noise when it stops read the disc i have no clue wht done this my freind does something to it to fix it but i dunt kno wht cause i never seen him do it my disc say no disc when i try playin them even the game my mum bought when it first came out day of reckoning 2 dnt work is there something up with my disc or my console cause if theres eny way of me not havin to pay for gettin it fixed tell me

plz help

Offline PhrProfess

• View Profile
Re: 2 cubes in less then 6 months? why me?
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2011, 04:02:52 AM »

This post presumes that all have gone through GreyRainCloud's Lens Calibration guide (link). If you haven't and are getting DREs, then I highly recommend that you do because a simple recalibration is probably all that it'll take to get your system up and running again! (Okay, maybe it's not so simple.)

To those with DREs whose discs won't spin: a solution—

I've just discovered personally, through trial and error, that if one tweaks the potensiometer even just a little bit too far then the disc will stop spinning. If your disc doesn't spin anymore, it might just be that your laser is out of range and that your motor is actually fine.

My situation was that I had a working console, but was just starting to get DREs again, mid-game. From this I reasoned that the time to make another potensiometer adjustment was nearing. I opened up the box, made an adjustment, and closed 'er all up again (sans screws) to test. I'd forgotten that I could simply hold down the two little prongs in the back-right corner to fool the console into thinking it had its top on, and that I didn't need to replace any of the panels or the cover—and so that's how I was testing for adjustments at first.

After about four tries, I noticed that I wasn't getting anywhere. I also noticed that my discs weren't even spinning anymore, no matter which one I used. At first I thought that I'd gone and fubar'd my console, and made a big mistake of some sort—but then I discovered that I'd just fallen into a trap that I'd set for myself. The trap was this: If one adjusts the potensiometer, still gets a DRE, and tries to turn it again a little further (thinking that this is the solution)—it just might be that the potentiometer's  been tweaked too far already the first time. To continue turning it might be pushing it even further away from where it needs to be. This is an easy trap to fall into if one replaces the cover in between each test-run, because in doing so one wouldn't even notice that the disc has stopped spinning altogether (provided that it did to begin with, of course).

Anyway, I eventually boiled the process down to an efficient science that allowed me to complete a casual adjust-and-test cycle every forty-five seconds or so (by not replacing anything in between test-runs—no screws, front/back/side panels, or even the cover), and came to learn that I had the potensio' turned about 180° too far. T minus two hours in, I finally got it right and saw the disc spin with the cover open (and my fingers on the two-pronged cover-sensor). My insides lit-up and I got all of my energy back! After all was said and done, I'd performed about 15-20 guess-and-checks.

I am just here to pass along my notes to those with DREs, because if your disc isn't spinning then it might not be a motor problem but rather one to do with that pesky laser. I suggest that you follow the guide on GameFaqs (link), and make a series of positive and negative adjustments until you get it right. Ideally, you'll crank it slowly and hit the mark after just one or two attempts. To be sure, don't make any negative (clockwise) adjustments if you've never made any adjustments before! There'll be no need to turn the laser down from the get-go.

This topic has been bumped because it was a top-result in Google that helped me solve my problem tonight by getting me to think along the right track. Cheers

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2011, 10:10:10 AM »
Coincidentally I just replaced the laser on a GameCube a couple of weeks ago. I've done a bunch of Wii drives (sometimes just the laser or motor, sometimes the whole drive is out of whack), but that's the first GameCube I've had to repair for someone.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2011, 02:11:44 PM »
This is the first time I've heard of GCs breaking down (I never seen this thread until it was bumped). I'm sure it happens because anything that can mess up will mess up sometimes, but this is just the first time I've heard of it for the GC. I put mine through some fairly heavy use and it worked fine up until I got my Wii and ended up selling it. I wonder how its holding up for the person I sold it to...
is your sanity...