Gaming Forums > General Gaming

I for one welcome the glorious return of overconfident E3 2006 Sony.

<< < (4/13) > >>

ThePerm:
There's a market for physical media. We're going to have really really nice boxes in the future.

Do you guys ever walk in Barnes and Noble and notice how blingy books are now?

ShyGuy:
Please judge this book by its cover.

Stratos:
They are copying the style of old classic book binding. Looking at those images filled me with the memory of the smell of old books and leather. I have a Lord of the Rings + Hobbit set all nicely leather bound with gold lettering inlaid. Very nice and probably worth a pretty penny.

My folks have a few nice sets of classic fairy tales and stories with similar designs. I'm glad to see new books taking a similar path.

I can see games following suit. If it weren't for the cost, I'd be all over some of these limited print runs of games, but I'm drifting towards all digital for convenience. Though my roots keep telling me to buy physical for the usual crotchety old reasons (shelf candy, preservation and long-term accessibility, some form of true ownership of the title that cannot be revoked, etc).

I kinda wish there was a way to have our cake and eat it too, like being able to buy physical and get it available digitally for free. Amazon does that for music, if I buy a CD they give me access to the music on their music app. I don't have to be paying for Prime I believe, it came with the purchase. though I've not tried to listen to any of it on there since I dropped Prime last month. Will have to check.

Ian Sane:
I was thinking less like Limited Run games but more like Super Mario Bros. on the NES, re-released on an actual NES cartridge with the label, manual and box all resembling what it looked like in 1985 for play on a Nintendo branded modern NES system that can play cartridges, like if the NES Classic had a cart slot.  So it's not offering a current download game on a current system in a physical format but a retro game on the physical format it was originally released on.  That's not really much of a thing yet.  There's a Data East collection that comes on a real SNES cart and an R-Type collection.  But this is very niche stuff and the major companies like Nintendo and Sega haven't done it yet.  But I'm thinking that that might happen 10 or 20 years from now.

ThePerm:
I'd be interested in a really nice NES Cart sized sd card like format in shiny transparnet poly-acrylic shell which has gold leafed labels.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version