Gaming Forums > General Gaming

I for one welcome the glorious return of overconfident E3 2006 Sony.

<< < (3/13) > >>

lolmonade:

--- Quote from: UncleBob on March 25, 2019, 06:46:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: pokepal148 on March 23, 2019, 04:29:33 PM ---That's still probably a better deal than manufacturing discs and cases for games.

--- End quote ---

Sure, but that's virtually a requirement of distributing physical media - and while I believe Sony would love to stop that, it's not really a feasible action in today's market.

Killing in-store download codes and telling people to use their card online or buy stored-value cards is, for the vast majority of people, perfectly fine.

--- End quote ---

The only time I've personally seen the cards outside of the store has been as part of a present, and even then, it wasn't the ones with a game key, it was the PSN or Nintendo store $$.  I suspect maybe they don't see all that much being purchased when it's game-specific cards, and I'm sure Sony et al have to negotiate and pay something to have the store real estate for it. 

Spak-Spang:
I would not be surprised if Sony has to pay for that much shelf space and the cards were a way of getting as much value from the shelf space as possible, but it is a failed experiment.  Honestly, in store physical games or generic non-specific game gift certificates are the only thing that needs to be there.  I would be frustrated if on my birthday I opened up a new game I was going to have to download.  Thanks Uncle Bob, now I have to download this game for 3 hours before I can play it. 

This is also why Zero Day updates or forced downloads of discs are horrible for the gaming market and should be highly discouraged.  It just ruins gaming.  (Yes I know that is hyperbole and an exaggeration, but I still standby the main point.)

Stratos:

--- Quote from: ThePerm on March 23, 2019, 11:40:48 PM ---a 512 gb mini sd card is 70 bucks. By the time PS5 comes out cartridges will become standard again. **** downloading anything. Though if I had my choice, I'd make the games the size of 3.5 inch floppy discs. I'd give them real tacky holographic labels.

--- End quote ---

I'd love carts to make a comeback, but by the time we hit that point, I suspect the point will be made moot by all-digital/streaming games.

Ian Sane:

--- Quote from: Stratos on March 28, 2019, 12:02:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: ThePerm on March 23, 2019, 11:40:48 PM ---a 512 gb mini sd card is 70 bucks. By the time PS5 comes out cartridges will become standard again. **** downloading anything. Though if I had my choice, I'd make the games the size of 3.5 inch floppy discs. I'd give them real tacky holographic labels.

--- End quote ---

I'd love carts to make a comeback, but by the time we hit that point, I suspect the point will be made moot by all-digital/streaming games.

--- End quote ---

Maybe in the future cartridges will be like some hipster/retro thing, like how downloads or streaming is the standard way to purchase music these days but there is a prominent scene for vinyl records, with new albums getting released in the format and old albums getting re-released.  I figure at some point Atari, Sega or Nintendo will end up releasing not just a new product that can play old carts but will re-release old games in cart format.  If you can buy a brand new record for classic Rolling Stones albums why couldn't you buy new Genesis cartridges of the old Sonic games?

UncleBob:
We kinda have stuff like that now, whenn ccompanies like Limited Run Games do small prints of previously digital-only games in physical format.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version