Author Topic: Resident Evil 6 is Apparently as Bad as Operation Raccoon City  (Read 22078 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Resident Evil 6 is Apparently as Bad as Operation Raccoon City
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »
Resident Evil: Revelaitons proves that Capcom is still capable of doing the series right, so I don't think having someone else do it is the right answer
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2012, 06:23:21 PM »
I haven't played a good horror game in a long time....

A shame really.

I'm sure there are some good PC games that might be up your alley, if you're interested. Alternatively, have you tried the Fatal Frame II remake? Seriously considering importing it.

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2012, 03:14:43 PM »
Lemme tell you something funny about Operation Raccoon City.

This was a game I was quite looking forward to and so I preordered it online so I could get it as fast as possible. Then 4 days before release I get the game in the mail and I was shocked at the game's quality. The day after that all the crappy reviews started pouring in.

It seemed the retailer got wind of how crap the game was (or maybe played it themselves) and then decided to ship out the game as soon as possible (and taking payment at the same time) before anyone could cancel their preorders.

Those sneaky bastards.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2012, 03:50:16 PM »
I only played Operation Raccoon City for about half an hour. My friend at Play N Trade forced me to try it since not even Jill's appearance could convince me to buy the game. I didn't think it was terrible. Then again, I didn't pay $60 for it. I would probably pick it up for $5-$10 if I had the opportunity. It was shallow, repetitive, and unimaginative, but I didn't hate myself for trying it.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2012, 06:35:51 PM »
I picked up RE ORC for $10.  I'm sure my wife and I will enjoy it for what it is.  We already know going in it isn't the greatest game.  I think I'll feel that way about RE6, though I don't plan to buy it for $60 either now.  I was going to do that before all the backlash came out.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2012, 06:48:49 PM »
Capcom could only milk this franchise so far. After six main installments, and numerous spinoffs and sidequels, I feels as though it is time to put the series to bed. Capcom should have made Resident Evil 6 be the closing chapter of the series. There can be only so many viruses before it gets stale and repetitive, and that is all the series will be remembered as in the future.

Here is how I would have done RE 6:

• It would be the last Resident Evil game for atleast five years.
  • The plot of the game would center around a global viral outbreak with major cities around the world suffering the same fate as Racoon city.
  • The plot would also have a end of the world theme.
  • All of the Resident Evil protagonists would assemble to battle the C-Virus outbreak.
  • Some characters would be DLC exclusive with their own part of the world as a set piece.
  • Since this viral outbreak is global, and the fate of the world is at stake, the zombies in this game are menacing than ever before.
  • Decisions made throughout the game deiced which characters live or die. Leon or Chris dies at the end, but both can not survive.
  • Hybridized inventory system betwwen that of Re 2 and RE 4.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2012, 11:14:05 PM »
Yeah, it will be, erm, interesting to see where RE goes from here. The reviews should sink it, but if improves on RE5's sales, we're probably in for more games in the same vein.

But wait! There is another?

http://kotaku.com/5905277/first-look-at-resident-evil-creators-new-horror-game

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2012, 10:26:18 PM »
I am intrigued by project Zwei. I cannot find the footage but it was of very early Resident Evil 4 built where it looked like Leon was up against these ghostly kind of enemies. There was this misty gloomy corridor that Leon was walking through and I get the same kind of vibe when I look the corridor in that image.

I wonder if this game is the one Resident Evil 4 could have been.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2012, 11:03:07 PM »
The Resident Evil seeries went to hell once Shinji Mikami left Capcom. He was the lynchpin of the series and once he left Capcom all of the creativity and style of the series left with him. While Resident Evil 5 and 6 are not bad games, I just can not help but wonder what would have happened had Mikami stayed with Capcom to produce Resident Evil 5 and 6. Capcom should have contracted him to work on part six due to the fact that Resident Evil 4 was so popular amongst fans, and it was directed by Shinji Mikami himself.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2012, 11:03:35 PM »
Isn't Devil May Cry the game RE4 could have been?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2012, 12:33:30 AM »
Well, call if morbid curiosity, but I traded-in some games today and ended up with more than enough to pay off Dishonored, so I used the rest to pick up Resident Evil 6 (yes, despite my issues with the demo and the very divided reviews).

I've had a good track record this year of liking games the critics have generally bagged on (Lollipop Chainsaw, Asura's Wrath, Silent Hill Downpour, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, etc.), and the more I think about the experience playing the demo the more I began to question my preconceptions.  Was I disliking the demo because the game was actually bad (it didn't seem so at the time), or because I came in with preconceived notions about what a Resident Evil game "should be" ("hey, this is Resident Evil! It isn't right that I can just run up to zombies and punch their heads off at any time!")?  Considering I played Downpour with a very open mind about what Silent Hill "should be" and rather liked it, I thought it only fair to give RE6 a similar fair shake.  And hey, if I don't like it, at least I only paid trade-in credit and I'm already set for Dishonored next week.

I haven't actually played any of the game yet because work has just been devouring my time lately, but I hope to put in some time with the game tomorrow night after we record Episode 6 of Nintendo Free Radio.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2012, 01:02:54 AM »
I am intrigued by project Zwei. I cannot find the footage but it was of very early Resident Evil 4 built where it looked like Leon was up against these ghostly kind of enemies. There was this misty gloomy corridor that Leon was walking through and I get the same kind of vibe when I look the corridor in that image.

I wonder if this game is the one Resident Evil 4 could have been.

I know exactly what you're talking about. It got forgotten with the RE 4 reboot, but that original footage looked pretty awesome, and a much different direction for the series. They weird hookman ghost thing was pretty horrible. Here's hoping that's what Zwei is based on.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2012, 03:55:06 AM »
The Resident Evil seeries went to hell once Shinji Mikami left Capcom. He was the lynchpin of the series and once he left Capcom all of the creativity and style of the series left with him. While Resident Evil 5 and 6 are not bad games, I just can not help but wonder what would have happened had Mikami stayed with Capcom to produce Resident Evil 5 and 6. Capcom should have contracted him to work on part six due to the fact that Resident Evil 4 was so popular amongst fans, and it was directed by Shinji Mikami himself.
You sound like someone who has never played Resident Evil: Revelaitons and considering you do not own a PS3 or 360 (and refuse to buy either for that matter), I have doubts that you've played Resident Evil 5 or 6 so I'm a bit curious what you're basing this on. Revelaitons is an extremely competent game. It's not better than Resident Evil 4, but few games since can make that claim or even come close. I would go as far as to say that Raid Mode is significantly better than Mercenaries Mode could ever hope to be. That was done without Shinji Mikami. I, too, wonder what would have happened to the series had he not left Capcom, but there's no guarantee that Resident Evil 5 or 6 would have had the same impact that Resident Evil 4 did, especially with the higher ups at Capcom handcuffing the people who actually make the games. Considering Clover Studios' rather unceremonious closure, Mikami's departure was hardly surprising.

There are people at Capcom who can handle a series like Resident Evil. The Revelaitons team was given the step-child project on 3DS and managed to make something really special. You've mentioned at least twice in this thread that the series should take a 5 year hiatus which is odd to me. The passage of time doesn't fix anything. Every series simply needs the right people working on it and when it comes to Resident Evil, it seems they're already working at Capcom, despite it not seeming like a very pleasant place to work considering how many senior designers, directors, and producers have left over the last decade. The best thing for the series would be for upper management to give their teams a bit more freedom to just make good games without being force to cater to certain audiences, but that's not looking terribly likely since Resident Evil 6 is tearing up the charts despite the bad reviews.

Anyway, I finally got around to playing the final retail version today at a store (I didn't buy it). I didn't get very far, but yikes. The reviews weren't kidding about the QTE. A few people on NWR are aware of my great disdain for QTE. I hate them in pretty much everything. If I'm forced to endure them, the rest of the game better be amazing to compensate. Resident Evil 4, for example, totally was. There's a part right in the beginning of Resident Evil 6 where it takes like 3 timed button presses just to pry open a door. What the fuc... I had a whole conversation about QTEs and cutscenes today which can be its own discussion entirely. I don't want to stray too far off topic so I'll keep this short: I don't need QTE to exist just to add "gameplay" to cutscenes. Keep them short and get me back to the actual game as soon as possible. There was an egregious amount of QTE in just the opening sequence of Resident Evil 6. Not the best way to start things off. That said, I don't have a very favorable opinion of the game at the moment though I plan on eventually getting the game, hopefully on Wii U, but failing that, PS3 is fine.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 03:56:57 AM by Adrock »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2012, 02:01:29 AM »
My cousin broke down and bought the Resident Evil 6 Anthology which also includes Resident Evil 1-5. I had not done much coop in RE5, so we started there. To my surprise, it wasn't bad with two players. I detested the game in single player, but with two player it was decent. Not a survival horror game, or even action horror, but a decent action game. The tiny screens in coop are stupid though, and the controls feel off compared to RE4, but if you have two people it's worth a try.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2012, 05:56:03 PM »
My cousin broke down and bought the Resident Evil 6 Anthology which also includes Resident Evil 1-5. I had not done much coop in RE5, so we started there. To my surprise, it wasn't bad with two players. I detested the game in single player, but with two player it was decent. Not a survival horror game, or even action horror, but a decent action game. The tiny screens in coop are stupid though, and the controls feel off compared to RE4, but if you have two people it's worth a try.
RE5 in coop was a lot of fun for my wife and me.  We will get RE6 at some point, but I figure since the reviews call the game horrible, I expect it to drop in price really fast.  So I'll wait and get it when it's below $30.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2012, 10:42:31 AM »
The reviews don't call it horrible, just mediocre (mediocre is less than good, but better than horrible). The Xbox 360 version has a 67 average on Metacritic, which is far better than "horrible".
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2012, 12:22:59 PM »
RE5 in coop was a lot of fun for my wife and me.  We will get RE6 at some point, but I figure since the reviews call the game horrible, I expect it to drop in price really fast.  So I'll wait and get it when it's below $30.
That's a good plan. My brother wanted to play it so he split the cost with me. I definitely would have kicked myself if I spent $60 on the game. It's not the worst by any means, but it's definitely flawed.

I haven't earned enough skill points to upgrade too much so I don't know if the gameplay changes at higher levels. Right now, I'm just pumping bullets into things, even low level zombies. RE6 lacks the immense satisfaction of shooting a hostile in the face or knee and performing a melee move. A whole button is devoted to melee, but rarely do you kick/punch a hostile's face clear off. Like Revelaitons, RE6 tries to change things up from RE4 and RE5, but it just seems like a change for the sake of a change. I'm all for changing things up, but it doesn't quite work here.

The most jarring thing I've encountered is that the 180 degree turn doesn't always position the camera behind you. You'll turn around, but the camera keeps it's position. I fiddled with the options and I think that's just how it is.

For the most part, I agree with many of the reviews I've read. If there's a Wii U Edition, I hope for a Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge-esque upgrade to fix some of the game's issues.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2012, 12:25:13 PM »
The reviews don't call it horrible, just mediocre (mediocre is less than good, but better than horrible). The Xbox 360 version has a 67 average on Metacritic, which is far better than "horrible".

Yeah, people seem to forget that anything above a 5.0 on a 10 point scale is a "good" game.  It's just the degrees to which the game is good.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2012, 12:39:45 PM »

Yeah, people seem to forget that anything above a 5.0 on a 10 point scale is a "good" game.  It's just the degrees to which the game is good.
Because we're trained by the US School System that a C is a failing grade.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2012, 04:28:47 PM »

That depends on where the review is from. At some sites, like ours, a 5 is a score that means it has issues, but is still worth playing if you get past them. At other sites that's a 6 or a 7. Your best bet is to read the text of the review and not pay too much attention to the score.

As a teacher, I'll point out that a C isn't a failing grade, but you should strive to do better than that. Schools generally have 65 as the cutoff between passing and failing, though, which is higher than the 50 we set things at.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 04:32:51 PM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2012, 05:07:58 PM »

That depends on where the review is from. At some sites, like ours, a 5 is a score that means it has issues, but is still worth playing if you get past them. At other sites that's a 6 or a 7. Your best bet is to read the text of the review and not pay too much attention to the score.

As a teacher, I'll point out that a C isn't a failing grade, but you should strive to do better than that. Schools generally have 65 as the cutoff between passing and failing, though, which is higher than the 50 we set things at.
At master level you must get a B or Higher essentially making C failing.  Even though a Proper Curve in any education system should have the majority of Students getting a C.  Plus must colleges want a 3.0 or Higher last I checked.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2012, 05:21:11 PM »
Most reviewers tend to give inflated scores and rarely give grades lower than 70% so if your game gets lower than that, it probably really sucks.  NWR might consider 65% to be more favourable but if you're looking at GameRankings or Metacritic, we're going by the average so NWR would be in the minority.

Of course there are a lot of games out there and only so much time and money so why should I bother with anything that gets such unfavourable scores in reviews?  I might miss the odd gem and get burned by the odd overrated lousy title, but overall this practice has worked well for me.  I have no obligation to give every game a fair chance.  I'm not a reviewer that gets free review copies.  I have to pay for this stuff myself and it's solely for my own personal amusement.  No one cares when I skip movies that look like they're terrible and get unfavourable reviews but with videogames this is somehow a mildly controversial attitude.

Moral of the story: no one likes to be wrong or unpopular.  If you like a game most people don't, it suggests you might have bad taste.  If you bought a game that wasn't really any good you effectively got swindled and it suggests that you're a sucker.  Thus it's better to act like reviews are meaningless and that effectively EVERY game COULD be considered good so your taste can always be validated and you can think of yourself as a smart consumer that never gets swindled.

Fun fact: in the real working world accomplishing 65% of a task is not acceptable.  It's like 100% or you fucked up and risk getting fired.  A "C" IS a failing grade.  You do your tasks correctly or you don't.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2012, 05:34:01 PM »
Except a C is not a failing grade, nor is a D. Only a F is. And sports are a good example where it doesn't matter. Think about baseball, getting a hit 30% of the time is a huge success. In basketball, Michael Jordan is one of the best ever but his career field goal percentage is 49.7% (with a high of 54.9% in the 1990-1991 season).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2012, 11:17:48 PM »
Good News Everyone! /Futurama

Cliffy B has offered to save the Resident Evil series.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/cliff-bleszinski-offers-to-help-fix-capcoms-resident-evil-series/

Grab a green herb, grab a gallon of gas for the chainsaw gun...