Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 755302 times)

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #900 on: August 14, 2013, 08:23:18 PM »
Grabbed Payday 2 and Saint's Row IV from GMG.  Only managed to poke around a little bit in Payday, but I'm looking forward to some sweet, sweet, co-op action.  Anybody else playing it on PC?

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #901 on: August 14, 2013, 09:06:42 PM »
ASSASSIN'S CREED 1 & 2
picked it up at EB brand new for $9!!
Made you look ****.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: August 14, 2013, 09:15:11 PM »
After a painfully long back-and-forth process, ended up grabbing a Wii U (basic model, on sale for $200 new) that works after returning the first defective one.  Supplemented that with Nintendo Land and Batman Arkham Asylum (new copies for $15 each, in the mail now courtesy a friend) and downloaded Donkey Kong and the Rayman Legends Challenge App.

Thoughts and impressions so far:
  • Wii U hardware - Meh. Not that impressed... although I'm confident software will justify the purchase over time.  One major detractor: WiFi reception is extremely poor compared to every other device I own. Trying to do anything online is a painful experience, often involving multiple dropped connections and numerous error messages.
    Sadly, unreliable network access kills almost all of the non-gaming features the console could have for us. Maybe I can do some tweaking to improve this... but I've already played with the router settings and analyzed WiFi networks in the area for interference. Options are running low outside of replacing our router (ha!) or using a cable (no drop in the same room, so double-ha!).
  • Rayman Legends Challenge App - Fantastic. Playing this has reminded me just how much impressive the art and level design was in Rayman Origins. I fully expect Rayman Legends to be just as enjoyable. This series is better than any recent 2D Mario in my opinion, and is the closest thing to a system seller (despite going multi-platform) as Wii U has on the schedule so far.
  • Donkey Kong - Wow, this is brutal. Was the arcade version much better, or has nostalgia led me astray?
NNID: ejamer

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: August 14, 2013, 11:34:30 PM »
using a cable (no drop in the same room, so double-ha!).
Wii U has no LAN socket so there's that. There's always that USB connector thingy though.

Also, get Wonderful 101 demo.

It's uh-mayzing!
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #904 on: August 15, 2013, 07:13:55 AM »
using a cable (no drop in the same room, so double-ha!).
Wii U has no LAN socket so there's that. There's always that USB connector thingy though.

Also, get Wonderful 101 demo.

It's uh-mayzing!

I've got a Wii LAN adapter and have heard that it works for Wii U. If there was an ethernet drop in the same room I'd already know.

I did grab the Wonderful 101 demo but haven't had time to try it yet. Not really in a rush either: the game just doesn't look that appealing, although reviews have been positive. I'm more likely to grab some small stuff first (Star Wars Pinball and Toki Tori 2 are both right up my alley).

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #905 on: August 15, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
After a painfully long back-and-forth process, ended up grabbing a Wii U (basic model, on sale for $200 new) that works after returning the first defective one.  Supplemented that with Nintendo Land and Batman Arkham Asylum (new copies for $15 each, in the mail now courtesy a friend) and downloaded Donkey Kong and the Rayman Legends Challenge App.

Thoughts and impressions so far:

• Wii U hardware - Meh. Not that impressed... although I'm confident software will justify the purchase over time.  One major detractor: WiFi reception is extremely poor compared to every other device I own. Trying to do anything online is a painful experience, often involving multiple dropped connections and numerous error messages.
    Sadly, unreliable network access kills almost all of the non-gaming features the console could have for us. Maybe I can do some tweaking to improve this... but I've already played with the router settings and analyzed WiFi networks in the area for interference. Options are running low outside of replacing our router (ha!) or using a cable (no drop in the same room, so double-ha!).
  • Rayman Legends Challenge App - Fantastic. Playing this has reminded me just how much impressive the art and level design was in Rayman Origins. I fully expect Rayman Legends to be just as enjoyable. This series is better than any recent 2D Mario in my opinion, and is the closest thing to a system seller (despite going multi-platform) as Wii U has on the schedule so far.
  • Donkey Kong - Wow, this is brutal. Was the arcade version much better, or has nostalgia led me astray?
Why u get basic pack!? :@
Made you look ****.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: August 15, 2013, 10:44:20 PM »
... Wii U (basic model, on sale for $200 new) ...
Why u get basic pack!? :@

When you look at the price paid, all other models cost significantly more without offering any meaningful value (unless you prefer downloading games to buying physical copies and plan to buy more than $500 of digital content from the Wii U eShop before the end of next year). I don't like digital goods - especially not with Nintendo's current hardware-based account policies - so the decision was easy.

Do the math: a $200 base system is way better than a $300+ deluxe version at this point in time.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: August 15, 2013, 11:30:15 PM »
Yep, basic is a better price proposition for many. I downloaded a fair share eShop games, and will probably download my first digital retail game with Wonderful 101 (so i can play it day one, without waiting weeks in shipping) and it all will still barely account to 100$ and console is almost one year old already. There is just no way i'm going to more than spend 500$ Euros on eShop in the next two years.

Also i prefer white coloured consoles.

Returning to topic.

I used Humble EA bundle thing and got Mirror's Edge, Dead Space 1 and a few other games i don't even remember for 1$.

Also DuckTales on Wii U.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #908 on: August 16, 2013, 08:37:35 AM »

I used Humble EA bundle thing and got Mirror's Edge, Dead Space 1 and a few other games i don't even remember for 1$.

I grabbed this Humble Bundle package too. Great deal, even though I only care about Mirror's Edge and Dead Space.

Pushing acceptance of their Origin service is surely a hidden goal... but still pretty cool of EA to put all proceeds to charity (plus most games have Steam versions anyway).

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: August 16, 2013, 12:24:44 PM »
I know I am out of the loop, been real busy with school and life but things have finally slowed down to a point where I can get back into gaming so here goes. Recently I stumbled upon a box at a thrift store that contained a working CD-i with DVC and normal pads and a ton of games, for the whopping price of $2 plus tax. I posted that sucker on craigslist and within a couple of hours I had traded it for a PS2 Slim and fifteen games, not a bad deal considering I missed out on PS2 because I was totally into the Gamecube only back then. Can you blame me the GC was so awesome. Anyways I am realizing now that I didn't miss as much as I thought I did, there are a few games that I like right now I am getting into FF12 but it's not living up to my expectations so far. I tried to get into Jak 2 but I am not really sure if that is going to work out.

I have God of War and Maximo that both look interesting but haven't tried them yet. Other than that I am saving up to get either a Wii U this holiday or a PS4 depending on a few factors. I am still wanting a Wii U but I am on the fence till more games come out. Oh by the way Cd-i is suckage all around, not worth the $2 bucks I gave for is so I am surprised someone traded me for it.

Offline magicpixie

• View Profile
« Reply #910 on: August 16, 2013, 05:04:50 PM »
Heh, I remember first getting a PS2 toward the end of that gen.  I got a used system that still works to this day, pretty much just for FFX, which I loved.  I really enjoyed FFXII, but not enough to beat it :P

As for me, I grabbed Red Faction Guerilla, as it was $4 for Steam's deal of the day.  I'm pretty sure that's the one that people seem to like, so I hope I get around to actually playing it some time.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: August 16, 2013, 06:21:30 PM »
just got my copy of Pikmin 3 ;D
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: August 16, 2013, 07:35:26 PM »
Yep, basic is a better price proposition for many. I downloaded a fair share eShop games, and will probably download my first digital retail game with Wonderful 101 (so i can play it day one, without waiting weeks in shipping) and it all will still barely account to 100$ and console is almost one year old already. There is just no way i'm going to more than spend 500$ Euros on eShop in the next two years.

Also i prefer white coloured consoles.

Returning to topic.

Also DuckTales on Wii U.
Wait I don't remember Mirror Edge was originally in their now I'll probably get it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: August 16, 2013, 09:07:58 PM »
I cannot wait to show y'all my next purchase.  I'll be getting it this Sunday. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #914 on: August 16, 2013, 09:24:53 PM »
Nice! My younger brother doesn't want his N64 anymore, so passed it along to me.  Included were Mario Party, GoldenEye, Donkey Kong 64, and Harvest Moon 64.  Free games are always good... but I'm considering it a loaner more than a gift. Who knows what nostalgia he'll have in 5-10 years? Harvest Moon 64 is a pretty sweet game after all.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: August 17, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
I've been driving for roughly 12 hours.  Have about an hour left to drive (and there's a stop for a super-late dinner in there).  Then, after a relaxing stay in the hotel room, I'll be out early in the morning to pick up my new gaming purchase. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: August 17, 2013, 08:52:44 PM »
Lemme guess it's the newest ripoff in gaming... Disney Infinity?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: August 17, 2013, 08:55:56 PM »
Why would I drive 12+ hours for Disney Infinity?  Hell no. :D

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 17, 2013, 09:00:12 PM »
Well it's either Disney Infinity or the new 12GB Playstation 3 judging by our new releases at Kmart on Sunday, so what is it?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #919 on: August 17, 2013, 09:06:48 PM »
He's not driving nor would be excited for a PS3.

It's gotta be something rare and obscure. And, more likely than not, Nintendo related. . .
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #920 on: August 17, 2013, 09:10:29 PM »
I was being sarcastic, dude. I was saying that it was pretty much guaranteed to be Disney Infinity. The Sunday he said he'd be getting this mysterious item is too big of a coincidence for him.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: August 17, 2013, 09:19:02 PM »
I didn't say it was a new release. :D

He's not driving nor would be excited for a PS3.

It's gotta be something rare and obscure. And, more likely than not, Nintendo related. . .
Yup.  And I had to take the seats out of the back of my PT Cruiser and measure the entire back to make sure it'd fit. :D

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: August 17, 2013, 09:25:37 PM »
At E3, Nintendo did have those huge ass displays?  Did UB buy himself an lifesize Mario Kart ;0.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #923 on: August 17, 2013, 09:50:43 PM »
I was being sarcastic, dude.

My bad, bro.

I wonder if it's an arcade machine.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: August 17, 2013, 10:52:34 PM »
PT Cruiser... does it happen to have a Nintendo related paint job?

An arcade machine is probably too big for a car like that and I wouldn't they are that rare that you would have to drive 12 hours to get one. My guess would be some sort of giant plastic mario, maybe riding on a Yoshi.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?