Community Forums > General Chat

Building A Computer - $800 Budget - New Build for 2021!!

<< < (19/21) > >>

BlackNMild2k1:
Update:
Hardware is working fine.... apparently always was.
After reading though trouble shooting forums, I found out that you have to connect through the Display Port until you install software in order to display on the screen. And you have to do it through the GPU because onboard will not work with the Ryzen 7 (or something like that....)

So I had to move upstairs to the carpeted part of the house, and test it using the monitor there, as that was easier than dragging a different monitor and cable all the way down stairs just to test the system out.

Now I have to figure out how to get Windows 10 on the computer. :)
hopefully a much simpler problem. Also bought the additional SSD for no reason. The M.2 was connected and working properly. I just couldn't tell because the display didn't come on.

Also the Liquid cooler wasn't as complicated as I thought now that I figured it out.
The video tutorial made it seem over complicated and the booklet it came with wasn't much more help. Now that I know what is needed, it really wasn't all that complicated after all.

So onto the next mission... Windows onto a USB Drive, and attempt to boot from there to install onto the M.2
So I actually have to pay for Windows now, huh...? :/  $100 for Pro version on a USB stick.
$140 to download it myself, and $199 straight through MS.

edit: Oh, and when I have the 2nd RAM Stick in, the computer won't display, so it was the RAM.
not sure if they both have to be in the DIMM2 slots or not.... I might just check to make sure it was in all the way, and then see if I can make it work on DIMM1 slots, otherwise, gotta make an exchange.
I
Final edit: all is good. All hardware working fine.
Windows installed, just need to get the key... Hopefully I can use my existing one from another computer.

Stratos:
Quickly on the ram, you need to make sure they are in the primary positions. They are typically the odd or even ports and have some sort of vague marking. If you have four ram slots and two sticks you aren't supposed to just fill the first two slots with ram. Gotta alternate them. Mobo may just ignore the sticks not conforming to that patter and be undetected.

I bought a new edition of Windows 10 Pro because I need the features. Paid $130 for a disk which was the cheapest listing from a pcpartpicker.com suggesting vendor (I'm not chancing any of those other vendors with cheaper offerings as many seemed to sketchy to be worth it) as I also bought a portable CD/DVD/BD player that plugs in via usb-c (and my mobo has integrated usb-c). I just plugged that in and booted from that and installed Windows directly.

BlackNMild2k1:
I made a boot disc from my existing Win10 and put it in a MemStick. Worked fine, I just need a key.
Plan to purchase one, wanted advice on legitimacy of those cheaper sites offering then for $40-60. So thanks for answering that before I asked 😁

As for RAM. Yeah, they're alternating.
The DIMM1 slots were 1 & 3, DIMM2 were 2 & 4
I have them setup in 2 & 4, both working now.

What sucks, is if I had known I had to boot from the Display Port, and only on the GPU, I might've gotten this running last week. But I was trying to avoid assembly of any kind upstairs because it's all carpeted. Thanks to some trouble shooting forums, I was able to figure that out, and problem was quickly solved.

Now it's the way part of installing all the software.
I'll just borrow a disc drive from an older computer and hook it up  through a non mounted position (dangling from the open side) since there's no place for a disc drive in the case.

Stratos:
The lack of an optical media slot in the case was a problem for me when planning. Seems they are being phased out at this point, but I have a lot of media so didn't want to go without. Settling on an external drive fixed that problem and I just keep it in a drawer unless I need it.

BlackNMild2k1:
that's a good backup plan. I'll probably do that, but I'm not spending any more on this build at this moment. (posting from new computer BTW :D)

other than still needing to see if I can transfer my Win10 license from my old computer, I'm just installing and setting stuff up.
Everything I need is online, so a disc drive isn't really gonna be needed since I also have DVD player hooked up to the TV if necessary, but I stream just about everything any way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version