Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1572311 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2011, 05:21:05 PM »
I just finished watching the Reggie GT TV interview on Gametrailers, and while he was his usual vague bullet point-speaking self I was surprised to see him confirm that the Wii U will not upscale Wii games to play at the higher resolution.  Thing is, I'm not sure Reggie understood the question, because he acted like he was asked if the games would have high-resolution textures now when Keighly was asking about upscaling existing games like the PS3 can.
Knowing Nintendo it will probably go into  Wii-Mode with Wii games so whatever the Wii does now will be it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2011, 05:21:18 PM »
And you people complain that the staff can be too anti-Nintendo. We were all really excited during the conference, and we were shocked when someone pointed out how negative the reaction here was.

I think what we saw (or more accurately, what we didn't see) pretty much guarantees that it's not coming out until Holiday 2012.

Those of us who remember the 2006 E3 when the Wii was revealed have a very good reason to be very skeptical this time around. At E3 2006 the Wii was revealed and it wrote a check which to this day still hasn't been cashed. At E3 2006 people's minds were blown and there was the hype and all that good stuff, but what about now? Where's the Wii at now? The Wii is getting one game the rest of the year and that's it. Period.

So why shouldn't we be skeptical about this new thing? Nintendo promised us the Wii wouldn't have a games drought, but are we experiencing right this moment? Nintendo prematurely pulled the plug on the Wii. It looks like they're done with it and have washed their hands of it. There will be Zelda at the end of the year, and that's it. So Where is Wiiu going to be a few years from now? Is it going to be in the midst of yet another games drought?

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. That's why this time for the first time ever I'm going to take a wait and see approach to a Nintendo console. If it looks like the support is there and there to stay then I'll get it, but if all it gets are ports from last gen consoles and sequels from Nintendo and it looks like its going to end up dead in the water like the Wii then I'll steer clear of it.
is your sanity...

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2011, 05:21:49 PM »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2011, 05:26:41 PM »
hahahaha

You know that's going to happen.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2011, 05:28:37 PM »
Of course, I've discussed this very thing for years now. I'm still on the fence about it making the controller so big but it looks like Nintendo has some crazy ideas up their sleeve, so I'll bite.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2011, 05:30:38 PM »
With all the Waggle in these tech Demos one hand would have to hold it out while the other waggles and you bio...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2011, 05:31:35 PM »
Having now had time to digest all the information and read a few impression articles, I'm really looking forward to see what games can do with this. The editors at IGN seemed to really enjoy the Mii-based tech demos - if this controller opens up these opportunities, I'm all for it. Also, everything I've read has stated that the controller was comfortable and simple to use, so first appearances may be deceiving.

All I'm saying is that you people shouldn't be so quick to write it off. In my honest opinion, Wii U seems to be taking a unique approach, and the whole idea of it is fascinating to me.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2011, 05:43:57 PM »
If the Wii U upscaled older games it would be harder for Nintendo to sell new versions of those games with updated HD visuals.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2011, 05:47:40 PM »
THERE NEEDS TO BE A FORUM CLEANSING

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2011, 05:48:28 PM »
Sony & MS have signed on to be freshmen @ Wiiu next semester.

Let's see if they graduate with honors by 2013 or not.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2011, 05:49:46 PM »
Plagiarism is grounds for expulsion ;)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2011, 05:50:12 PM »
If the Wii U upscaled older games it would be harder for Nintendo to sell new versions of those games with updated HD visuals.

I'm sure if that was a concern, then Nintendo would be releasing an upgraded Wiimote 2.0 and all those other peripherals just so they could sell them all back to us again.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2011, 05:51:28 PM »
Plagiarism is grounds for expulsion ;)

Damn right.

And who wants to bet that the next 3D Mario for Wuu will be Mario Universe

Offline ThomasO

• View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2011, 05:51:51 PM »
Hmm... how does one use the pointer functionality for normal Wii games? If the controller also has IR sensors, it could work...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2011, 05:52:01 PM »
In a vacuum the screen controller has the potential to do some cool stuff.  But the DS touchscreen and the Wii remote also had tons of potential and I feel that neither of them ever amounted to anything worth a damn.  Hell the balance board had potential.  So did the Wii zapper.  So did connectivity.  But none of those went anywhere

Like it or not, Nintendo's current reputation for controller "innovations" is that they're used as marketing gimmicks and little else.  Someone's reputation impacts how much you trust them.  On the flip side if this thing just blows me away, then I'm all the more open-minded next time around.

Hell if Sony or MS had revealed this would you give THEM the benefit of the doubt or would you make fun of it?

One thing I just thought of - is this just going to use regular Wii remotes?  What about Motion+?  Shouldn't that be the standard now?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2011, 05:54:49 PM »
Hmm... how does one use the pointer functionality for normal Wii games? If the controller also has IR sensors, it could work...

The WiiU controller has IR on it and you can clearly see a sensor bar in most images.

I don't think they even sell regular Wiimotes still.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2011, 05:57:43 PM »

I'm sure if that was a concern, then Nintendo would be releasing an upgraded Wiimote 2.0 and all those other peripherals just so they could sell them all back to us again.

That was meant to be taken sarcastically.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2011, 05:59:14 PM »
I have to admit that I am a little dissapointed with the Wiiu. I mean I am not sure whether I should like it or dislike it at this point. Honestly, I was looking forward to Nintendo putting claws and teeth on this system and calling it the "Super Wii." Maybe Nintendo will catch on and rename the system before it launches. Lastly, is there any chance of a upgraded Wiimote and wireless CCPro for this thing? It is going to take alot for Nintendo to remove the shroud of skepticism that hangs over my head right now.

Isn't the controller for this thing in a way taking a chance on poisoning the water for the 3DS? What ever this thing can do surely the 3DS can do just as well. Then again, the 3DS costs $250, but that Mario and Kid Icarus title makes me drool for that console.

Is it it true that this console wil skip Gamecube BC? This must mean that it will lack ports as well? I guess I will have to throw my adapter away. Hmm, I would bet dollars for doughnuts that this thing will have Dreamcast Virtual Console since that controller screams "VMU."

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2011, 05:59:53 PM »
In a vacuum the screen controller has the potential to do some cool stuff.  But the DS touchscreen and the Wii remote also had tons of potential and I feel that neither of them ever amounted to anything worth a damn.  Hell the balance board had potential.
Wait, what? Maybe because you didn't play those games, but Nintendo made gajillions on Touch Generation games and the Balance board/Wii Fit. I may have played very few of those games, but they really weren't for me. That doesn't mean they didn't meet/exceed their potential.
Hell if Sony or MS had revealed this would you give THEM the benefit of the doubt or would you make fun of it?
Not true. How would they have come up with it without Nintendo coming up with it first. /burn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2011, 06:04:33 PM »
I live in a vacuum....

One thing I just thought of - is this just going to use regular Wii remotes?  What about Motion+?  Shouldn't that be the standard now?

Wimote+ has been the standard for some time now. Welcome to 2010, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2011, 06:06:52 PM »
Man my brain processies have been sparkling like a field full of fountains. I bet my face looks as intrigued and probably stupid as Miyamoto's when he first was told by Iwata what they were thinking of doing. This is truly amazing and it only gets better the more you mix up the inputs. Wiimotes and Umotes together...you could make just about any genre better.

You guys can bitch all you want. I am thoroughly captivated.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2011, 06:10:59 PM »
So, Wii U has good Graphics, 4 face buttons, 2 shoulder buttons, dual analog joystick, a couple shooters already announced. how does this not appeal to "hardcore gamers"?

So Wii U has motion controls, a touch screen, a camera, and microphone how does this not appeal to "Casual Gamers"?

Point is once the Wii U games start rolling out nobody will remember that after selling 70+million consoles that the Wii had a bad last year and a half.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2011, 06:11:49 PM »
Chozo ghost
Broodwars
Ian Sane
Dirk Temporo

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
Chozo ghost
Broodwars
Ian Sane
Dirk Temporo

I would, but I'm pretty sure I'd get in trouble.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2011, 06:14:44 PM »
I have to admit that I am a little dissapointed with the Wiiu.
As a system reveal, it was standard stuff. "Hey, our new hardware looks like this." That was really no different than most hardware reveals. This is similar to when Nintendo announced Project Revolution back in 2005. They showed the console and announced their partners. We just got a few more demos this time around. That said, I see it as a disappointment in that Nintendo didn't show any real titles. They're coming and we'll likely start seeing them toward the end of the year.
Isn't the controller for this thing in a way taking a chance on poisoning the water for the 3DS? What ever this thing can do surely the 3DS can do just as well. Then again, the 3DS costs $250, but that Mario and Kid Icarus title makes me drool for that console.
Yeah, kind of. They're basically the same device now. Besides 3D and on-the-go gaming, WiiU can do anything the 3DS can, just with exceedingly better graphics. I'm not entirely sure I know what their strategy is. Nintendo is going after everyone with both 3DS and WiiU. As it currently stands, 3DS can't appeal to the same audience DS did because of the price barrier. It's smart to appeal to as wide of an audience as you can. In the home console market, Nintendo had to do something different because they were missing an entire segment of the market. However, it's just weird that Nintendo's strategy in the handheld market has changed so drastically when it worked so well. They were getting support from all angles even if most of the software from 3rd parties skewed younger.