Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1572209 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #150 on: June 07, 2011, 07:36:40 PM »
Am I wrong or did EA give the impression that they were handling all the Wii U Online network?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #151 on: June 07, 2011, 07:37:19 PM »
Yeah, WSR was a must own, and it came with one, but nothing else did that was a must own.

Red Steel 2 and No More Heroes DS

NMH2 didn't use M+ and I wouldn't call RS2 a "must own." It's a fine title, but it's not great.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #152 on: June 07, 2011, 07:43:15 PM »
Now it's time for them all to upgrade to wiimote+ or buy M+ add ons.

I'm sure if you try to use the old wiimote with the new system, it might prompt you to plug in M+ or use a wiimote+

Actually NWR should ask a question about that too.

The sucky part about that is when the Blue Ocean that Nintendo is reaching out for (still) doesn't want to buy the new system because they have to upgrade all of their controllers.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 07, 2011, 07:47:43 PM »
I'm pleased. :) I can't really be anything more. Information is limited but there is enough to take any concerns I had away. The power is there. The effort to work with 3rd parties are there and there should be nothing holding them back. Even if the PS4/X720 leap the Wii U (it's getting easier to say) it shouldn't be a massive leap. It might be closer to the PS2 compared to the Xbox/GC. Downgrades or upgrades should stop be possible without a drastic change. Certainly won't be a repeat of the Wii. It's a diminishing returns situation where Sony and Microsoft can only go so far the next go around.

Once I get this this new system I think I'll be happy with just it as there should be no reason for it not to get multiplatform games now. I don't really care to much about Sony and Microsoft first party IPs. Between this and the line up for the 3DS and the eShop it's been a good E3. Looking forward to what is said at the round tables tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully even more news can be passed on.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:24:17 PM by NeoStar9X »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 07, 2011, 07:49:36 PM »
  But Ian, you should at least be happy that this controller has all the buttons and directional inputs of a standard controller, so if developers don't want any motion or touch controls they can just use those. Lots of options, no forced compromises.

THAT I do like.  That is awesome.  However as I have concerns over how comfortable that will be to use over a long play session, having that big giant screen might still hurt the games that don't use it.  It defines the whole shape and weight of the controller.  Thinking about it right now the usual way I curl up on the couch and hold the controller is impossible with something this wide.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #155 on: June 07, 2011, 07:51:36 PM »
Before anyone else says anything, everyone who said it feels comfortable has not held it for more than 15 minutes. Extended play time with the controller is a valid concern.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 07, 2011, 07:53:50 PM »
The way you can tell if Ian likes something is if he doesn't complain about it.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 07, 2011, 08:01:14 PM »
If the best they can do is casual focused mini-game comps then, yeah, they failed to meet their potential even if they sold a gazillion games.  They should benefit nearly ALL games, not just a handful for a select audience that is impressed with gimmicks.  Seriously, you're telling me the fucking balance board met its potential?  It's pretty much a peripheral for one game!
The Balance Board met its potential because it reached the audience Nintendo intended to reach. It may not have reached me or you, but it was a hit for a reason. I don't know why you expect something like the balance board or a touchscreen to benefits all games. Why does it need to? It goes both ways. Shoulder buttons and analog sticks don't benefit casual gamers. These things need to reach someone and if they do, what harm are they doing? I don't really understand what you're complaining about. They may have failed to meet your ridiculous standard for things, but that's not the same thing as not meeting its own potential. Millions of people bought Nintendo hardware when they otherwise would not have. They got Nintendogs, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Brain Age etc. instead of nothing. You're complaining because these things don't appeal to you. Well, what about you?

Buy something that does appeal to you because Nintendo shouldn't stop trying to make money on behalf of you.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 07, 2011, 08:12:27 PM »
I can't believe I'm seeing all these complaints about extended sessions with this remote and how it might fair.  Its not a 15 lb dumbell.  I haven't heard anyone complain yet of holding an Ipad for extended game/online browsing/ reading sessions.  Its not like your going to be holding your arms out in front of your chest perpendicular to your body.  More than likely your forearms will be resting on your upper thighs like they are during current gaming sessions on ps3/60.

The WiiU has me excited though.  I was expecting some more concrete info on games today but what was shown was enough to get the imagination juices flowing.  I think this remote will be a GODSEND for sports and rpgs (2 of my fav genres) especially western rpgs.  Western rpgs always seem to suffer in the control department when they transition from PC to console but with this screen on the controller, alot of the features on a keyboard can now be implemented.  That screen can be used for so many interactive quick slots it could possibly lead to even better control than PC.  Also, this could be amazing with squad based fpsers.  No longer do you need to leave the action to control your squadmates.  You can have all the action on the main screen and have a tactical map on the controller which you can command your squad to different positions and attacks with the swipe of a finger.  I can just imagine having a major shootout in an building and finding out that I'm covered.  I take cover behind a wall, look down at my controller and sending a unit to flank the enemy from the side all in a matter of seconds. 

The posibilites are endless if developers dear to use some creativity in their approaches and not just shove us ports with tacked on stat displays on the controller.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:26:18 PM by Manny »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:28:06 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 07, 2011, 08:26:38 PM »
awesome!

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 07, 2011, 08:28:44 PM »
Here's a link to a youtube video demonstrating the Zelda HD demo.  You really get to see how interactive it is and its fairly clear for a cam shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdn2YOKP9RU&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: My bad, I see I was beat to it lol.  Enjoy the video none the less lol.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:30:15 PM by Manny »

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 07, 2011, 08:53:20 PM »
Is there any video footage of the Japanese street demo mentioned in the IGN impressions?
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 07, 2011, 09:09:19 PM »
Am I wrong or did EA give the impression that they were handling all the Wii U Online network?

I didn't hear that part but Stogi said the same thing earlier when the conference was live.

Does anyone have anymore info on that? Was it said during the Dev commentary near the end of the conference?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 07, 2011, 09:13:02 PM »
That really is some lovely Zelda footage.  It's a pity it's shackled to that controller.  Maybe Nintendo will see sense and redesign it to a much more logical layout.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 07, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
I think bringing out EA's CEO or president, can't remember which one, near the end to talk about the WiiU's online gaming in general seems to imply that they somehow have a hand in it.  It did give me the vibe that they are in some way working with Nintendo on setting up the infastructure for WiiU's online functions. 

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 07, 2011, 09:28:26 PM »
I think bringing out EA's CEO or president, can't remember which one, near the end to talk about the WiiU's online gaming in general seems to imply that they somehow have a hand in it.  It did give me the vibe that they are in some way working with Nintendo on setting up the infastructure for WiiU's online functions.
I think this is the idea going around in most places. Why bring the top guy of all people out knowing that EA has a strong online presence, especially since they just announced the new Origin online store front and online system.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 07, 2011, 09:41:12 PM »
I hope that there isn't going to have to be a need to change right hand position to get from the c-stick to the face buttons. Joystiq said it was awkward.

Other places have said it feels fine, so this is a shame.

On another note does the interview with the Irrational Games guy suggest Bioshock Infinite for WiiU?
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 07, 2011, 09:49:46 PM »
[quoteI may have played very few of those games, but they really weren't for me. That doesn't mean they didn't meet/exceed their potential.

The DS more than met its potential and the Wii motion controls are going to reach their peak with Zelda this year.

The fact that you try to say the DS didn't reach its potential is ridiculous.  Even ignoring all the games you would never play like Brain Age and Nintendogs  there are amazing games tha use the touchscreen and are not minigames like The World Ends with You, Soul Bubbles, Trauma Center, Scribblenaughts, Drawn to Life etc. 

The DS strip mined the touchscreen concept and then blew the mountain up to get any ore they missed.

Seriously, you're telling me the fucking balance board met its potential?  It's pretty much a peripheral for one game!

But thats exactly what it is and what it was sold as, a fitness peripheral for a fitness game pack in.  It came with one fitness game and many more were released.  The fact that some non-fitness games actually use it is a bonus.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:01:18 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 07, 2011, 09:51:43 PM »
If that's really what a Zelda game will look like, then my e-boner will probably stay turgid forever.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 07, 2011, 09:55:13 PM »
That really is some lovely Zelda footage.  It's a pity it's shackled to that controller.  Maybe Nintendo will see sense and redesign it to a much more logical layout.

I'm wondering exactly what you want them to do with it.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 07, 2011, 10:05:34 PM »
From some of the demos Nintendo seems to want to use this to make local multiplayer better.  This is a solution to so many local mutliplayer problems too.  For example in the baseball demo they have the small screen pitch the ball so the batter doesn't know where the pitch is going to be.  Picking plays in football games can be secret, fps games can go from spltscreen to hidden mode on the u where the opponent cant see your screen on the fly.  Turning invisible in fighting games could actually be worthwhile.  You could pick up an invisibility powerup in smash bros. and your character becomes invisible on the main screen but you can still see him and control him like normal on the u screen.

I want a game with a Perfect Dark like farsight where you hold the Wii U in the air and it is the xray screen of the gun or a Metroid prime with the screen as your visor that use to scan your surroundings.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:09:13 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 07, 2011, 10:11:34 PM »
Metroid prime with the screen as your visor that use to scan your surroundings.

Unless its made by Sackamoto, in which case it will just be a pixel hunting mini game where you spend a half hour poking around on the touchscreen with a stylus until you hit the magic pixel.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 07, 2011, 10:37:35 PM »

My main complaint is that the analog sticks (and they need to be analog sticks, not the 3DS Circle Pads) and the D-pad/buttons need to be reversed.  The D-pad goes on top with the left analog stick underneath it on the left side of the screen, and the 4 primary buttons go on top with the right analog stick underneath them on the right side of the screen.  Both sets need to be slanted so that the thumbs can easily slide between the top and bottom items on both sides.  If necessary (because I can understand the argument about not putting the D-pad in the "primary position"), the left analog stick and D-pad can remain where they are, but they still need to be slanted.  This is the same control layout the Classic Controller Pro uses, and it is an excellent controller so I don't see the point in messing with what has proven to work extremely well for decades.

Also, if I understand it correctly, there are only L and R shoulder triggers.  For ease of 3rd party porting, there need to be 2 triggers on each side of the device.

As for the controller's shape, I don't like the box-y shape of it, nor how flat it is like an iPad.  It's more a handheld than a console controller.  It should be smaller and more rounded to make it more comfortable for longer play sessions.  They could do this without altering the size of the screen.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:54:48 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #174 on: June 07, 2011, 10:51:45 PM »

My main complaint is that the analog sticks (and they need to be analog sticks, not the 3DS Circle Pads) and the D-pad/buttons need to be reversed.  The D-pad goes on top with the left analog stick underneath it on the left side of the screen, and the 4 primary buttons go on top with the right analog stick underneath them on the right side of the screen.  Both sets need to be slanted so that the thumbs can easily slide between the top and bottom items on both sides.  If necessary (because I can understand the argument about not putting the D-pad in the "primary position"), the left analog stick and D-pad can remain where they are, but they still need to be slanted.  This is the same control layout the Classic Controller Pro uses, and it is an excellent controller so I don't see the point in messing with what has proven to work extremely well for decades.

Also, if I understand it correctly, there are only L and R shoulder triggers.  For ease of 3rd party porting, there need to be 2 triggers on each side of the device.

As for the controller's shape, I don't like the box-y shape of it, nor how flat it is like an iPad.  It's more a handheld than a console controller.  It should be smaller and more rounded to make it more comfortable for longer play sessions.  They could do this without altering the size of the screen.
I'm thinking because those of us who haven't been able to hold the controller yet don't realize, that the non-slanted placement of the sticks/buttons/d-pad might be better based on how the backside of the controller is constructed. I imagine our index or middle fingers are going to be able to rest on the the L and R triggers, while our index fingers (if we so choose) can rest on the shoulder ZL and ZR buttons (and YES, there are four shoulder buttons/triggers -- not two.)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!