Author Topic: Gameboy Sp price drop= Lower than expected DS price??  (Read 7353 times)

Offline SLIVER

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Gameboy Sp price drop= Lower than expected DS price??
« on: September 05, 2004, 08:27:31 PM »
Maybe with the new 80$ price point the DS could cost $100-150 for sure
So much for Too Human!!
"Nintendo, where dreams never come true"
Mario Tennis, Too Human, Eternal Darkness 2.

(NINTENDO IS AFRAID OF CHANGES!) "YOU COWARDS, TAKE IT LIKE A MAN"

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Gameboy Sp price drop= Lower than expected DS price??
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 09:15:47 PM »
Maybe for sure it will be $99

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 11:47:39 PM »
That's wishful thinking.

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
RE:Gameboy Sp price drop= Lower than expected DS price??
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 05:58:00 AM »

wishful...yeah...but a $100 DS would rock the world
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 08:40:58 AM »
they are just trying to sell as many SP's while they still can.  Nintendo must know that the sales of the SP will drop a lot once the DS comes out.  A $100 DS would be awesome though.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 11:32:07 AM »
Maybe Nintendo will setup a low DS price point so Sony might have a big uphill battle in taking a part of the marketshare.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 12:50:33 PM »
If analyst are to be believe. (For the most part they are in the ballpark with the prices) The DS will be between $150-to-$200, and the PSP $300-to-$400+. So the DS will have the system price advantage. Its the games that Nintendo should be concerned about they souldn't let a handheld game reach console game levels.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004, 07:54:50 PM »
I think that if the price drop is really so that the prices are distinguishable between the SP and the DS, than it means, like everyone else said that the DS will be aroundaround $150-$200. But it could also be something else. Maybe Nintendo is trying to get as many SP's sold as possible before really pushing the DS, and a price drop is good way of doing that.  

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 06:58:11 AM »
I agree with those suspecting this to be a method to sell SP's before the DS cuts into GBA sales... but that's cool, because it may yield a slightly lower DS price (however, don't expect a $100 DS until the PSP is about to launch, maybe even later)
I'll shut up now...

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 02:56:39 PM »
PSM supposidly said that the PSP would launch at $150....

I personally hope the DS is 125-150... so i can afford the system and like 3 launch titles I need to save some money for Prime 2 as well!  

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 03:32:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Perfect Cell

if that's the case, I'm tempted to buy a PSP and no software just to make Sony lose money

hahaha i need to get a life

I'll shut up now...

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004, 04:55:40 PM »
A PSP for $150, not unless sony is trying to pull an Xbox.  

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2004, 05:09:23 PM »
of course, that $150 price quote is coming from PSM; it is their job to make the PSP look good (not aesthetically, as that has already been accomplished)
I'll shut up now...

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2004, 06:19:39 PM »

Originally posted by: Stimutacs Addict

Originally posted by: Perfect Cell

if that's the case, I'm tempted to buy a PSP and no software just to make Sony lose money

hahaha i need to get a life

How about you just don't buy it, and they get no return on the system?

And that price is impossibly low.  Even if they sold it at just a $100 loss/system, if they were to sell 10 million PSPs, they will lose 1 billion dollars.  And you can't come close to make that up in software sales.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2004, 10:25:01 AM »
I thought Microsoft was supposedly losing about $100 per Xbox back in the day.  Of course for Microsoft, the Xbox is almost a hobby.  Sony actually relies on videogames quite heavily now, so maybe it would be more cautious.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2004, 11:49:20 AM »
The discussion of Price Points for Nintendo DS is very interesting.

It is obviously going to be more then the SP, and much less than the Sony PSP.  However at what price point are we looking at EXACTLY.

Here is my thoughts.  

$99 is not impossible when you look at what technology Nintendo is using to create the system.  I bet this is probably right around the cost of the actual units.  However, sweet it would be to get a $99 dollar new system.  If the DS is launching before the PSP then this aggressive pricing isn't needed until later when the PSP is actually released.  

$200 is too high.  Nintendo has been able to do alot of market research.  They know at what prices certain type of systems sell.  Nintendo aggressively marketed the Gamecube at a lower price point.  And Nintendo will probably market its next system as aggressively.  $200 is going to be too high to reach a mass market appeal for a system that has no name, and is going to be competing with the Gameboy SP and the Sony PSP for recongnition.

My thoughts will be the system will retail anywhere between $125-$175 dollars.  Most likely right smack in the middle with a $150 price point.  Why do I even include the other two possibilities for the price point? This is a guess but if it costs around $100-115 dollars to make the DS then the $125 dollar price point is perfect to make a few bucks per system, but come in at a price that is more than competitive its down right frightening for the competetion.  Also since people are predicting that the DS games price points will be between the Gameboy and Gamecube games, and be cheaper to make Nintendo is going to be making the money up on the games sold.  The 175 dollar market is if the cost is around or slightly over $150 per DS unit then they can sell it for the 175 and still be under the 200 dollar price point.  

Nintendo's real advantage is going to be pricing games.  Everyone has stated they are willing to pay more for the DS games than GBA games as long as they are cheaper than the Cube games.  This gives DS games about a 10-15 dollars extra profit IF the format really is cheaper than cartridges.  Some of this money will be eaten up in added development time, but most will go straight into Nintendo's pocket, and hopefully 3rd party developers pockets.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2004, 12:04:02 PM »
Something to think about.  

IF PSM is an official Magizine, then they have inside information, and that statement may be close to true.

(Unless it was in the rumors section.)

Pricing for RAM and computing in general is getting dirt cheap.  Sony may have some agreements with manufactors to actually get a price where they are barely losing money on the system.

Sony also realizes that if they don't capture the market with a success with the first attempt the second attempt will be viewed through the eyes of the first failure.  

Sony could lose $50 easy per system.  So lets ask how likely is it that the Sony system could cost Sony around $200 per unit?  Or slightly alittle more.  I don't know pricing, but I bet it could be close to that.  

What does that mean for Nintendo?  It actually means that the DS could be costing Nintendo even LESS to make.  Lets look at it this way.  The Nintendo DS is going to cost Nintendo less than it costs them to make 2 GBA SPs, and Nintendo doesn't sell systems for a loss.  So add the cost of 2GBA SPs with the new price point, and you are looking at $160 dollars a system, at the most.  So Nintendo could sell it for $175 and make a profit.  I bet the DS will cost Nintendo less than $150 to make.  So Nintendo can easily charge $150 for the system.  

Now if Nintendo wants to get aggressive they could sell it for a price that is less then what it costs per unit.  $125 could be an awesome price point.  And Nintendo may not lose anywhere near the same Sony would be losing.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2004, 08:34:44 PM »
If the PSP goes at $200 sony looses a lot more than $50 a system.  The PSP is $300 hardware. At $200 they could possible lose up to $150 a system.  That'll be enough to buy a DS.  Sure they don't care about losing money but that's absurd.  Especially if the system sell the way they want it to.

Offline jarob

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2004, 01:08:30 PM »
Nintendo DS at $199..82 at WalMart.

The new Game Boy for $200?  

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2004, 01:20:05 PM »
I still think that the DS will be around $150, but that's just me.

Offline jarob

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2004, 03:55:09 PM »
I hope it is not at $200.  That is too much for me.  Go Ken go :-)

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2004, 11:47:49 AM »
That website doesnt know what they are talking about

The DS is intended to be a more technologically advanced device than the current Game Boy Advance, with dual touch-sensitive screens

Dual Touch Screens?