Author Topic: Super Paper Mario~!  (Read 39236 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Super Paper Mario~!
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2006, 08:59:55 PM »
That's a fantastic example of the Wii controller making games worse.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2006, 05:54:59 AM »
Well, the little helper guys in this game are awfully cursor-like.  I even found myself thinking, "those guys look like they're being controlled by a Wii pointer" when I was watching videos of the game.

But I'm sure it didn't start that way - it would tick off a lot of fans to announce the game for Cube and then move it over.  I'd buy it for Wii anyway, and I won't be too surprised if Nintendo moves it or puts it on both systems, but I'm annoyed that Cube is continuing the SNES and N64 tradition of having hardly any games in the final year.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2006, 07:50:28 AM »
The annoying thing is that even as a Cube title Super Paper Mario would be playable on the backwards compatible Wii.  The game would still sell fine if it was marketed correctly so that Wii owners knew they could also play it.  Final Fantasy IX was released on the Playstation after the PS2 came out but still sold well because Sony has always hyped up backwards compatibility.  I don't think Nintendo has ever actually advertised that feature before.  When I first found out about the GBC I had no idea it played regular Gameboy games.  I wasn't keeping up with game news at the time and the commercials gave no indication.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2006, 04:07:07 AM »
Didn't you read the box? I always thought of GBC as just something that played Gameboy games in colour.

That cursor thing looks annoying, hopefully it blends into the gameplay and we forget it while we're playing.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2006, 04:31:52 AM »
Me too. Didn't even know there were special games for it until much later. What really annoyed me was that the GBC didn't add the right colors to SGB games like Donkey Kong.

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2006, 05:01:59 PM »
That took long:

Matt responds: Hmm. How should I write this? Have to be vague, you know? Let me just say that yes, Paper Mario will be headed to Wii and not GameCube. Now read between the lines, damn you! Wait. That was a terrible hint! All right, that's it for today. Time to beat Bozon.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2006, 06:16:50 PM »
Ah well, another great game ruined.

Nintendo GameCube, we had some great times, you may now be dead but you'll always live on in my heart!

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2006, 06:24:46 PM »
I don't expect a ton of control changes.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2006, 06:47:51 PM »
I still doubt it.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2006, 07:42:38 PM »
GameCube disappoints once again.

I'M SURE NINTENDO IS HAPPY WITH THAT
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline eljefe

• View Profile
RE:Super Paper Mario~!
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2006, 04:26:18 AM »
now I'm defnately getting this..I want it more than Galaxy.
..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2006, 04:44:45 AM »
Hmm. I could see this being Wii's token Mario launch game.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2006, 05:26:23 AM »
ARRRGH.  I was afraid of this.  I want a new game NOW, dangit!  I'm sure I'll love Wii, but I'm so tired of waiting, and I'm disappointed that Nintendo continues to shaft its loyal fans in the final year of a console's life.

Probably a smart move by Nintendo since Wii is the future, but this game shouldn't have been shown for GameCube in that case.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2006, 07:10:24 AM »
"Matt responds: Hmm. How should I write this? Have to be vague, you know? Let me just say that yes, Paper Mario will be headed to Wii and not GameCube."

F*ck.  Nintendo has pretty much turned into Sega when it comes to supporting an unpopular console.  I bought a Cube expecting five years of support and I've pretty much only gotten three.  You can argue that it makes more sense business-wise and I'll agree with you.  But whose fault is it the Cube sold like crap?  Nintendo's.  But who suffers from that?  Us Cube owners.  That's what sucks.  We've been supportive but we've been blatantly ignored for two years.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2006, 07:45:12 AM »
Did I miss something? The game is still coming out. It's still going to be awesome. It's still Super Paper Mario. Not being on the Cube isn't such a bad thing. The system has died and the Wii is looking very good. A great game for a better followed system is a better idea. People want to buy something new. If they see it is a Gamecube game they may overlook it, but if it is a Wii launch title there is a better possibility it will be purchased.  
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2006, 07:56:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
But whose fault is it the Cube sold like crap?  Nintendo's.

LOL? I don't understand this.

There is no contract saying how long a game system is out for. If you want to blame someone blame Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo would just be releasing the Wiimote as an accessory if those companies weren't moving on.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2006, 08:15:18 AM »
"There is no contract saying how long a game system is out for. If you want to blame someone blame Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo would just be releasing the Wiimote as an accessory if those companies weren't moving on."

Bullsh!t Nintendo wouldn't be releasing a new console otherwise.  Even if the other two companies didn't Nintendo would have because releasing an accessory for a dead console is a waste of time and money.  The Cube's shortcomings are Nintendo's fault.  Can you name any outside factor beyond their control that doomed the Cube?  I can't.  It's all based on goof-ups and poor decisions at their end.

"Did I miss something? The game is still coming out. It's still going to be awesome. It's still Super Paper Mario. Not being on the Cube isn't such a bad thing."

Well the problem is I now have to pay a couple hundred bucks for a new console to play this game and they originally told me I didn't.  That's just irritating.  They gave us something to look forward to and then took it away.

I totally understand that from a business point of view it makes sense but it still SUCKS.  I'm so damn sick of Nintendo breaking promises.  One thing that has made it difficult for me to get excited about the Wii is that I just don't trust them at all anymore and that's because of stuff like this.  On it's own this isn't that big of a deal but with all the broken promises and blatant lies we've had to deal with on the Cube it becomes bigger.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2006, 09:02:29 AM »

"There is no contract saying how long a game system is out for. If you want to blame someone blame Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo would just be releasing the Wiimote as an accessory if those companies weren't moving on."

Bullsh!t Nintendo wouldn't be releasing a new console otherwise.  Even if the other two companies didn't Nintendo would have because releasing an accessory for a dead console is a waste of time and money.  The Cube's shortcomings are Nintendo's fault.  Can you name any outside factor beyond their control that doomed the Cube?  I can't.  It's all based on goof-ups and poor decisions at their end.

"Did I miss something? The game is still coming out. It's still going to be awesome. It's still Super Paper Mario. Not being on the Cube isn't such a bad thing."

Well the problem is I now have to pay a couple hundred bucks for a new console to play this game and they originally told me I didn't.  That's just irritating.  They gave us something to look forward to and then took it away.

I totally understand that from a business point of view it makes sense but it still SUCKS.  I'm so damn sick of Nintendo breaking promises.  One thing that has made it difficult for me to get excited about the Wii is that I just don't trust them at all anymore and that's because of stuff like this.  On it's own this isn't that big of a deal but with all the broken promises and blatant lies we've had to deal with on the Cube it becomes bigger.

LOL. You're such an a-you-know-what-hole, Ian. Really. Everything is always about you you you you you you you. Nintendo is a company, they have employees, they have products, they have shareholders. If releasing a game like Super Paper Mario on the Wii means (as it likely does) many more sales, then to do otherwise would be irresponsible. They're not your personal pleasure slaves. The world does not around you.

In summary: you are not entitled to anything. Get over yourself.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2006, 09:47:38 AM »
Ian's back to his senses!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2006, 09:51:28 AM »
Can't blame other companies for Nintendo's inability to compete with them.

Ditching Cube owners prematurely doesn't sound like exemplary business for anybody. Impeccable timing how the DS launched around the same time it seems substantive Cube support began to fade. Abandon ship! Ze Cube, she iz sinking!
"wow."

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2006, 10:01:49 AM »
This thread needs to be moved to the Wii forum.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2006, 10:06:02 AM »
"You're such an a-you-know-what-hole, Ian. Really. Everything is always about you you you you you you you. Nintendo is a company, they have employees, they have products, they have shareholders. If releasing a game like Super Paper Mario on the Wii means (as it likely does) many more sales, then to do otherwise would be irresponsible. They're not your personal pleasure slaves. The world does not around you."

I understand why they're doing it and I support their decision.  It doesn't mean I can't be annoyed that such a decision was necessary.  Is this the right move?  Yes.  Should the Cube be such a colossal flop that Nintendo doesn't have faith that the game would sell on the Cube even when the Wii is backwards compatible and thus Wii owners can buy it anyway?  No.  Plus I think moving the game to the Wii was as obvious of a move last year than it was now.  After all Nintendo decided to move Zelda.  So why did they show this at E3 as a Cube game or even plan it as a Cube game period?  They shouldn't have strung us around like that.  It's not like at E3 releasing a new Cube game still made sense and now it doesn't.

They should have just never annouced the game as a Cube title in the first place.  They're either jerks for intentionally deceiving us or doofuses for not realizing the obvious financially downside of such a decision.  At the time I thought they were just giving us Cube owners something to end the console on a high note with so that we would have a better opinion of Nintendo consoles right before the Wii came out.  "Sorry for all that crap you had to deal with.  Say... since I'm so nice to you how about you buy my new console?"

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2006, 10:22:43 AM »
Is anyone honestly going to play their GC anymore?

If the game came out in October, it would get no exposure, 'cuz no one but the hardcore fans are going to care.

So it got moved to Wii, as it will be riding a huge source of hype at that point, which is totally understandable.

And as I said, no one is going to play their GC anymore.  No one does now, because we're all playing our DSes anyway.

What would happen is a game dripping with style would sell maybe 100K copies and go down as a horrible mistake in Nintendo's image, damaging their stockholders' confidence, and generally looking like a mistake.

There's no reason to support the GC anymore, and all of you who are whining about it haven't even touched yours in ages.

So just shut up and get the Wii and play it there, like you were going to do anyways, regardless if it were a GC title or a Wii title.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2006, 10:24:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Artimus

LOL. You're such an a-you-know-what-hole, Ian. Really. Everything is always about you you you you you you you. Nintendo is a company, they have employees, they have products, they have shareholders. If releasing a game like Super Paper Mario on the Wii means (as it likely does) many more sales, then to do otherwise would be irresponsible. They're not your personal pleasure slaves. The world does not around you.

In summary: you are not entitled to anything. Get over yourself.

This is the kind of attitude that just shocks me, we are COSTUMERS,  we can and should demand every single selfish need from the company we are giving money to and I don't see the problem in that. Is really creepy the level of fanboyism some people have when they put the needs and demands of Nintendo as company above their own needs and demands as gamers and costumers, its just mind-boggling, or do you have stocks in Nintendo or something?

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2006, 10:37:49 AM »
I've played my Cube at least once a week all year long.  I want a new game.  DS is not an acceptable substitute.

I totally get that this is a smart business decision for Nintendo, but I'm tired of Nintendo leaving me with nothing to play in a console's final year.  It's happened every generation since the Super Nintendo, and I hate it.  Ian has it right: Nintendo shouldn't have announced this as a GameCube title in the first place.

Edit: actually I do own stocks in the company!  Umm, but really, I appreciate Nintendo's decision is good for business, but as a gamer, I have to say that I probably should have bought a PS2 this year.