Author Topic: Are either of the really big memory cards worth it?  (Read 3714 times)

Offline Sabres Fan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Are either of the really big memory cards worth it?
« on: October 16, 2003, 02:12:06 PM »
Are the Mad Catz or Interact memory cards that have like 1000 blocks worth it? I know storage size is great but do they lose their data?
Proud owner of every Nintendo system!(Except Virtual Boy.)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:Are either of the really big memory cards worth it?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 02:28:33 PM »
I personally do not use 3rd-party memory cards, because I've lost data on 3 out of the 4 that I've owned(the one that I haven't is an EA memory card for the 64).  Unless you play sports games, you are better off just getting the 251.  It's not very likely you will fill it up too fast...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Are either of the really big memory cards worth it?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 02:33:27 PM »
Yeah...I don't buy 3rd party anything.  Ethics.

The 251 does go a long way, though.  I have one 59 and one 251 and I have PLENTY of room left, even with my 15+ games.  (AC memory card doesn't count.)
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 03:41:40 PM »
I have had both 3rd party 16x memory cards and both became corrupted within the first week. I have 3 251's and all work fine.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 03:51:14 PM »
I refuse to buy a third party card after losing my rush 2 save on the n64...I am not very good at racing games and I had unlocked nearly everything...::grumble::

Offline AdvancedGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 03:56:38 PM »
I have a memory card 51 and 251 and I have filled them both up. I have 23 games. I am thinking about getting a 3rd party one so this is a good topic. So you really think they are not worth it?
Video Games-
Why waste good technology on medicine and science?

Now Playing: Zelda: TP (GC)
Mario Kart (DS)
NSMB (DS)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 04:06:46 PM »
Just get another 251
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2003, 05:31:45 PM »
Just get a fricken 251, its only 20 bucks and well worth it, also only get official ones, I keep on hearing about trama stories of how people lost all their F zero GX data and Viewtiful Joe data from data errors and what not.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2003, 07:29:18 PM »
i have a really big one thats over 1000 blocks....i have never had any problems, but i only got it because i found it for cheap and decided to go for it. lol....i dont think it will mess up because its a gold one....those are better because they are made of gold...duh....well honestly, based on my expirience, i would recomend it. i have had problems with other memory cards in the past, but this one has worked great....and i probably wont need to purchase another card as long as i have my cube. o yea i have the int...something one....not mad catz...and the gold one may make a difference because i think those were newer then the purple ones....but im not positive on that....but it is possible they may have made slight upgrades.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 08:07:55 PM »
Ah... I have eight games and one 59, and still have space left.  Too bad the 251 wasn't out when I got my GCN, or I would have that.  I still don't understand the point in even keeping the 59's for anything except Animal Crossing when you can quadruple your space for $5 more.

Offline Round Eye

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2003, 04:51:03 AM »
I have the  16X memorycard from interac and it worked fine, untill about a month ago I started getting save errors.  I noticed then, that the memory card was getting very warm.  So I pulled it out right away, works ok along as it is cool, but when it warms up, 15min, it get unreliable.  I am just happy I managed not to lose all my save games.  I am now the proud owner of a 251 card, no problems.

Stay away from 3rd party hardware.  
There are two types of people in the world.  Those who finish what they started, and so on...

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2003, 04:57:44 AM »
I've got two 59ers and space for at least 5 more games and I already have 10 total. I think. But I don't want to get a 251 cuz then I could put all the memory from my 59s onto it and still have like 150 left. Thus making my 59s WORTHLESS. Oh well. I'll have to buy a new card someday and now that they've stopped production of the 59... Maybe I'll use my 59's as coasters.  
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2003, 05:19:32 AM »
"So you really think they are not worth it?"

As someone who refuse to like everything Nintendo just because it is Nintendo, I must say in this case stay with nintendo.
In all honesty the 2 seperate 16x 1000 block memory cards I tried (both from differant companies, one was mad catz, I cant remember the other), both failed almost immediately. I bought them for Madden and ASB2004 and both wouldnt save at all with the sports games. Then after about a week both became corrupted according to the message and wouldnt save any games.
I have never had a problem with a nintendo memory card.

Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2003, 05:26:22 AM »
well i seem to just be extremely lucky...like i said, my 3rd party cards for the 64 failed all the time....based on my expirience, i would recommend my card..the intec or what ever its called, but you are obviously taking a chance...i found mine pretty cheap, and if it ever does fail, i will be really pissed, but i have most of my important games backed up on the 251. i basically just got the huge card for the sports games.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline SuperLink666

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2003, 06:13:10 AM »
sports games and backup copies of game saves like SSBM and Pikmin that's what they are good for. anything 10+ blocks or games you rent and might get like sonic games.. thats what I do.
www.warppipe.com
GameCube games - Playable online!

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2003, 07:04:12 AM »
I have the interact 1000 block memory card. It works just as well as the official nintendo mem card.  Ive had it for over a year now and never experianced the common problems associated with third pary products.  I also have two 59's and a 251.  I like the official stuff so I would say go with nintendo, although the Interact memory card will do just fine.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2003, 11:25:50 AM »
I have 3 %9s and a 251 which isn't quater full with 10+ games on it. One 59 is for my Japanese games and one is for sister and the last one is a spare that was bundled with Lost Kingdoms 2. Of course if you play sports games alot you may need something heavier...
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2003, 12:23:44 PM »
I have an Interact 16x Memory Card and have yet to have any problems. I like Sports games and if you like sports games the 251 is just as worth less as the 59. One sports game will fill up a 251 and you will still need another 251 to save others features of that one game. Trust me I know. If you don't like sports games then a 251 is fine, but if you do like sports games. Get a Interact 16x, I got mine for 8 bucks and its been just as reliable as my 251.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Sabres Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2003, 12:40:49 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I rememer back on the 64 I had a 3rd party card that was fine for over 2 years, so I was just wondering if they were still good.
Proud owner of every Nintendo system!(Except Virtual Boy.)

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2003, 02:25:05 PM »
mem 251's are only $20!!!! Please tell me that wasn't a typo, because I'm in great need of one, but low on cash. Specially with the current games coming out.

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2003, 02:46:53 PM »
Memory Card 251's have been  $20 for a while Nintendo Gamecube as I stated earlier, if you aren't a fan of sports games. Pick one or up it will take a while to fill up. If you like sports games. I suggest the Interact 16x.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Griffin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2003, 04:57:26 PM »
If you want a good one, I suggest the Nyko 64mb card. I've had one for almost 4 or 5 months now and I haven't had a single problem with it. Sony even licenses the Nyko cards for the PS2. Comes in handy if you have a few sports games. It's the same price as the 251.
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info:

Name: Mike
Town: PhatCave

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2003, 05:31:56 PM »
Well atleast sony isnt like microsoft cause microsoft licnessed all the 3rd party things. (HAHAHA)
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.