Author Topic: Nintendo Sales Panic: February 2023 US Sales Survey Results  (Read 574 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Nintendo Sales Panic: February 2023 US Sales Survey Results
« on: March 29, 2023, 05:23:52 PM »

We can't call it NPD anymore, which is also why it's two weeks late.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/63264/nintendo-sales-panic-february-2023-us-sales-survey-results

Following a merger with fellow analytics firm IRI under the new "Citrana" banner, the monthly US sales survey for February showed Nintendo hanging in against strong competition.

All data based on dollar sales from January 29 - February 25 unless otherwise noted, Nintendo first-party digital sales are not included though other third parties can contribute at their discretion.

Although hardware was up in totality 68% year-over-year in the February period, this was largely attributed to the continued satisfaction of PlayStation 5 demand. A ranking for the Switch was not provided.

For software, Nintendo had two debuts in the period; Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe placed 15th in the top 20 combined charts, while the surprise (and digitally exclusive for most of the period, and $40) release of Metroid Prime Remastered did not make the top 20. As manufacturer-specific charts are no longer provided, it cannot be determined if the game's revenue would have placed it among the top 10 Switch sellers for the month.

Switch software was down overall compared to last year's first full month of Pokemon Legends: Arceus, with the top 1st party title on the chart being Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in 13th. Pokemon Scarlet and Violet followed in 14th, so Kirby was the third and final first party title according to the NPD's chart. For third party representation, the highest rank on the list is the debuting Octopath Traveler II from Square Enix in 10th, followed by serial ranker Minecraft in 12th, Sonic Frontiers in 17th, NBA 2k23 in 19th, and Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line rounding out the top 20.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline DoomsDayDonut

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Sales Panic: February 2023 US Sales Survey Results
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 09:50:24 PM »
I'm surprised to see that Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line participated in the top 20 list, while Metroid Prime Remastered didn't appear at all. Especially considering that Theatrhythm is a fairly niche franchise, while Metroid Prime physical copies were sold out everywhere

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Sales Panic: February 2023 US Sales Survey Results
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 11:48:32 PM »
I'm surprised to see that Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line participated in the top 20 list, while Metroid Prime Remastered didn't appear at all. Especially considering that Theatrhythm is a fairly niche franchise, while Metroid Prime physical copies were sold out everywhere

The physical release wasn't until February 22, so it would have been only 3 days on the charts. Plus, it seems like many people that wanted it bought the digital release since it came out 2 weeks earlier. From what I heard, they also didn't make a ton of physical copies.