Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Launch Lineup - About 17 Minutes.  (Read 62122 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Nintendo Switch Launch Lineup - About 17 Minutes.
« on: May 27, 2016, 01:25:10 AM »
Predict. Spread Rumors. Broadcast hope for games. Nintendo has  lot of franchises that could go on NX.

What do you think they might have ready for launch?

Someone was talking about the F-zero levels in Mario Kart 8. How likely do you think that could have evolved into a full F-zero game by now?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:42:33 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: NX Launch Lineup
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 04:14:06 AM »
Zelda has to be a launch game.
There will be a mini game collection, maybe Nintendo Land 2
I wouldnt be surprised to see Pikmin 4 at launch.
New Super Mario Bros NX
A bunch of third party games, mostly from Ubisoft.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 05:27:08 AM »
The Legend of Zelda Wii U/NX
Retro Studios' not-Metroid game
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U for NX
A straight port of Super Mario Maker (as a pack-in game)

I haven't been paying enough attention to third party games to know what's coming out around then. I think most of them know better than to try late 2016 ports so no Madden or Call of Duty. It isn't worth trying because the vast majority of those ports won't sell well enough to make it worthwhile. Maybe Final Fantasy XV. Maybe. And that's only because Nintendo hardware has a decent sized audience for J-RPGs even if Square Enix is admittedly trying to revamp the series to have a more global feel.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 10:21:25 AM »
I'm guessing Retro's game is coming out at Christmas.

I think Zelda is day 1, Pikmin 4 is summer, Wario Ware inbetween there, new IP late summer/early fall.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 10:26:02 AM »
Day 1

- A new 3D Mario
- Pikmin 4 (if it doesn't come out on Wii U)
- A new mini game collection (possibly tied to the Wario franchise)
- A port of a Wii U game
- A new Animal Crossing game
- Maybe Zelda, but I'm thinking delay...
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 02:21:28 PM »
I think Zelda is a lock.  They've pretty much confirmed it as such and if they delay it on the NX they have to delay it on the Wii U as well.

Aside from that I expect some mini-game nonsense and at least one Wii U port.  Pikmin 4 is probably an NX title but I don't know if it's a launch title.  I'm kind of assuming that Nintendo is probably not going to have as much stuff ready for launch as they hope.  They're probably aiming for March with a fair bit of games but things will get delayed and move into the launch window.  You could in theory think "well they haven't released much lately, must have a whole bunch of stuff ready" but that was the assumption on the Wii U and they had very little ready.  For whatever they show at the debut NX event something will get delayed.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 03:51:12 PM »
Nintendo Land 2
Wii Sports 3
Super Mario Bros. 1 HD
GBA WarioWare HD
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD HD
Mario Kart 8.1
Super Smash Bros. for NX Featuring Even More Fire Emblem Edition

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 04:07:38 PM »
I think Zelda is a lock.  They've pretty much confirmed it as such and if they delay it on the NX they have to delay it on the Wii U as well.

Aside from that I expect some mini-game nonsense and at least one Wii U port.  Pikmin 4 is probably an NX title but I don't know if it's a launch title.  I'm kind of assuming that Nintendo is probably not going to have as much stuff ready for launch as they hope.  They're probably aiming for March with a fair bit of games but things will get delayed and move into the launch window.  You could in theory think "well they haven't released much lately, must have a whole bunch of stuff ready" but that was the assumption on the Wii U and they had very little ready.  For whatever they show at the debut NX event something will get delayed.

You got that right. They reallyneed to work on their long term planning.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 04:28:01 PM »
For third party launch titles I'm not sure what to expect.  Normally EA and Ubisoft are pretty much a sure thing but both of them were really quick to abandon the Wii U.  Will they let bygones be bygones and give Nintendo a fresh start with the NX or will they want some concrete sales figures first?  I worry about this aspect as the console won't sell if it doesn't have enough games but it may not attract decent support unless it sells.  I think for third parties the NX launch has to seem like a low risk situation.  Moneyhats may need to be involved at first.

If EA is on board can we not get a poison pill situation like Mass Effect 3?  I figure third party games will sell fine if:

A. They're not so old that you can find them at discount prices on the other consoles.
B. The NX version is not noticeably inferior to other versions due to some missing content or features.

How will the March timeframe affect things?  Madden comes out in August.  By March the NFL season will be over.  A late port of it would be pretty much useless so the NX would have to wait until the next Madden.  Call of Duty's come out in November.  It's a series you expect to see on a console but having the newest one four months later is probably going to miss out on the bulk of the sales.  What the NX needs to get in March are the games that are due to come out around that time on ALL consoles.  By missing the Christmas season they're going to ensure that third party games released in that timeframe will have already had their initial sales rush.  Multi-console owners will likely have bought those games on another platform even if they buy an NX at launch so you're really only looking at Wii U owners as customers for such titles.  What's coming out for the other consoles around the February/March 2017 timeframe?  Those are the third party games that should be available at launch.  Mass Effect Andromeda is supposed to come out Q1 2017.  There you go, Nintendo.  Call up EA and get that game!

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 04:39:23 PM »
Yeah, CoD and other November, AAA, annualized games are usually at the $40 range by March/April.  No one is going to want to buy those games at full price.  And even launching at a reduced price may not work out because the market for those games could be saturated.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 06:40:22 PM »
If the NX really launches in March, that will leave them room for a big title besides Zelda in November-December.  Alongside Zelda, I agree with most people that we will see ports of Wii U games.  They will also likely include a "smaller" Mario title, like Luigi's Mansion or NSMB.  The big Galaxy/Sunshine Mario that I hope is coming would be a holiday release, unless the NX is delayed to the holidays.

Rounding out the launch window could be more niche games like Pikmin 3, plus fitness and assorted Mii stuff.  I would appreciate a Wii Music sequel (+ Dance?) just to see the internet's reaction.

Since Zelda wasn't created with the NX in mind, they will need a big game to show off whatever new features the NX has.  Whatever it is will likely give us a good view into what demographic they are targeting.

Third party support is hard to predict.  If it is a true hybrid, we could get games from 3DS developers, which would be great!  EA and Ubisoft may test the waters again, and I hope Nintendo does whatever it takes to make sure they jump in with both feet rather than throw breadcrumbs out our heads and act like we just aren't hungry when we don't open wide.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 07:08:04 PM »
Now THIS is a thread I can participate in! All that specs talk in the Rumor thread..ugh.

Let's see...

-I think the consensus is that Zelda NX/U will be there at launch.

-Also at launch, a Wii U port. If they're trying to move systems, they might go with Sm4sh with all DLC and bill is as an ultimate / definitive version. Honestly, if Nintendo tries to launch a port WITHOUT the DLC, they're just going to piss off a lot of fans... and these will be the same fans that bought Wii U at launch, aka the same fans that want to get NX on day 1. Don't piss them off Nintendo.

The only way I can see Nintendo trying to release a Smash port at launch WITHOUT DLC is if it's not a port, but a remake from the ground up for NX to act as a trojan horse of sorts. Have fans double dip, and promise them that this version is basically forward compatible with Smash 5, meaning if you purchase this version, you'll get a download code for when smash 5 comes out that acts as an expansion pack (but sold stand-alone for those who didn't double dip on Sm4sh).

I highly doubt this scenario, but I believe that having both Zelda and Smash at launch will sell systems. Nintendo die-hards are notorious for double dipping, which is exactly why Nintendo doesn't miss an opportunity, but these two titles may just entice those who are usually on the fence (Ian types*)  to adopt early, especially the ones who may have skipped on Wii U and want a crack at Smash..

*I doubt this would sway our beloved Ian Sane, but people of like mind are the ones that take that wait and see approach and pick up the system late on the cheap for those key games. Couple this scenario with decent 3rd party launch support, and the system starts looking promising, no?

What else..

I think by Summer we should get a Mario game, just not THE Mario game. Assuming we have decent 3rd party titles at launch, and assuming nintendo doesn't **** up the new VC shop, I could see them releasing a class B mario title and saving the next big 3D title for their first holiday season. Maybe a Mario Maker port/update/true sequel but if you let a guy dream, I wouldn't mind seeing an HD remake of Mario Bros 1 or 3. In fact, I have a CRAZY idea..

Use the Wii U Paper Mario assets and remake the classic side scrollers in that style. Call it Super Paper Mario Bros. (which lets face it, sounds like an awkward enough title for Nintendo to use, and luckily drops the "new"). Hell, don't even throw in gimmicks, I don't need that. Duck Tales Remastered spoiled me and now I just want to experience Mario Bros 1 and 3 with a fresh coat of paint. If Nintendo has to throw in a gimmick, make them bonus areas. Add a new power-up, or add new secret rooms/areas that take advantage of that 3d gimmick used in Super Paper Mario, let me speed run through the game in plain ol side-scrolling 2D with that art style please.

I think this is the sort of title that doesn't require much time to develop, is an easy sell and helps fill in the gap before the holiday season.

Another good summer release would be Pikmin 4. We know Nintendo's been working on it some time, assuming they can update assets from Pikmin 3 I don't see why it isn't close to completion by now. Pikmin just has that summer feel in my eye so this makes sense to me.

Moving into the fall / holiday season, the next big Mario title needs to be there. I'm itching to see what a 'true' successor to Galaxy will be like after not getting it on Wii U. I know, I know, we just had a Mario title in the summer but fans should realize now that Nintendo considers Mario as a multi-genre IP. For better or worse, we have 5 distinct lines of business:

3D platform, 2D (2.5D?) platformer, Action/RPG, Sports, and Party.

Personally, 3D world just doesn't do it for me as the next big 3D title and the play style honestly is more reminiscent of the 2D platformer series. I loved the game overall, but Nintendo needs to show off an ambitious title to show that they can come up with new groundbreaking ideas. After two 3D Worlds and  5 New Super Mario Bros, even a long time Mario fan like me thinks it's getting a little stale. Yes, I'm the same guy who suggested a remake of SMB1/3 because yes I love my platformers, and the level design is always going to be top notch there, but I want to be amazed again, like when I saw Galaxy or Super Mario 64 for the first time. Preferably Nintendo would create a brand new IP with a radical new idea, but we all know they'll use Mario first and foremost if they can make it make sense. It's just been too long since Mario wow'd me, and what better time to release it than NX's first holiday?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 07:10:35 PM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 07:25:39 PM »
Castlevania Reboot
Silent Hill P.T.
Bonk's Adventure Gaiden
Metal Gear Solid VI
Pro Evo Soccer 2017
Contra Reboot
Bomberman '17
Adventure Island: The return of Master Higgins
Frogger MMO
Gradius HD
World of Military Madness Online

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 07:33:39 PM »
I highly doubt this scenario, but I believe that having both Zelda and Smash at launch will sell systems. Nintendo die-hards are notorious for double dipping, which is exactly why Nintendo doesn't miss an opportunity, but these two titles may just entice those who are usually on the fence (Ian types*)  to adopt early, especially the ones who may have skipped on Wii U and want a crack at Smash..

*I doubt this would sway our beloved Ian Sane, but people of like mind are the ones that take that wait and see approach and pick up the system late on the cheap for those key games. Couple this scenario with decent 3rd party launch support, and the system starts looking promising, no?

One problem with this is that both Zelda and Smash are not NX exclusives.  If you already have a Wii U you can wait and not upgrade right away.  I suppose it won't hurt for attracting those that never bought a Wii U and the PS4 sold well at launch despite mostly offering just spruced up PS3 ports.  Still I feel like we need something completely new in there, even if it's just a quick 'n dirty NSMB, to entice Wii U owners that may be cautious about jumping into a new Nintendo console right at launch.  Zelda can and should be the focus but something completely exclusive should be supporting it.  The Wii had Twilight Princess but also had exclusives in Wii Sports and Excitetruck so it wasn't a frivolous purchase for a Cube owner that otherwise didn't need a whole new console to play TP.  Those other two games also weren't as meaty as Zelda so they were the sort of games that are easier to develop in time for launch.  Going back to the Excite IP actually might be a good way to fill out the launch.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 07:38:57 PM »
Nintendo Land 2
Wii Sports 3
Super Mario Bros. 1 HD
GBA WarioWare HD
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD HD
Mario Kart 8.1

I think the avatar is rubbing off on you.... I like it!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 08:15:19 PM »

One problem with this is that both Zelda and Smash are not NX exclusives.  If you already have a Wii U you can wait and not upgrade right away.  I suppose it won't hurt for attracting those that never bought a Wii U and the PS4 sold well at launch despite mostly offering just spruced up PS3 ports.  Still I feel like we need something completely new in there, even if it's just a quick 'n dirty NSMB, to entice Wii U owners that may be cautious about jumping into a new Nintendo console right at launch.  Zelda can and should be the focus but something completely exclusive should be supporting it.  The Wii had Twilight Princess but also had exclusives in Wii Sports and Excitetruck so it wasn't a frivolous purchase for a Cube owner that otherwise didn't need a whole new console to play TP.  Those other two games also weren't as meaty as Zelda so they were the sort of games that are easier to develop in time for launch.  Going back to the Excite IP actually might be a good way to fill out the launch.

Excellent point actually. I guess my bias is showing there, because at this point I'm not even considering Zelda for Wii U.

I would love to revisit the excite IP, especially after the excite level in Mario Kart. The question is do they go back to the whacky Bot route (which I enjoyed) or go back to bikes? Hard to decide in my eyes.

I'm actually shocked you're suggesting a new NSMB title to be honest.I know where you're coming from, but in my mind there's certain games I certainly don't want to see at launch.

Nintendo shouldn't do Nintendoland 2 or a NSMB. We don't know if they'll have a gamepad 2.0 for the NX, for one thing, but I'm a believer that Nintendo should move away from the Wii brand and launching with sequels of Wii U launch titles might just trigger deja vu and doubt in some gamers.

I'm conflicted because Mario SHOULD be there at launch, like the old days, he's to Nintendo what Mickey is to Disney, but I can't imagine a new galaxy/mario 64 -esque game being there at launch next to a brand new Zelda. It sounds like a fanboys wet dream to be honest, but Mario is still the bigger of the 2 and considering NX is launching after the holiday season, I picture a scenario where parents picking up a system for kids will only choose one game, and that game will undoubtedly be Mario. Nintendo shouldn't risk losing Zelda sales to Mario. With how Zelda sales have been decreasing over the years, having Zelda  look weak in terms of sales will just tarnish it's brand further, making the NX's first original Zelda a harder sell to anyone who is still a sold out at that point.

Maybe my Super Paper Mario Bros be idea would work at launch ;) Ian would you like to offer your opinion on how having a remake of a 30 year old game at launch is a slap on the face to gamers?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 09:34:42 PM »
I'm a big proponent of launching Mario Kart as early as possible for a new console. It's one of the most consistent movers of Hardware, has broad appeal, and exhibits evergreen sales. Plus, the earlier they launch it the longer they can enjoy a long cycle of profitable DLC and updates to the game.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 11:29:02 PM »
I'm a big proponent of launching Mario Kart as early as possible for a new console. It's one of the most consistent movers of Hardware, has broad appeal, and exhibits evergreen sales. Plus, the earlier they launch it the longer they can enjoy a long cycle of profitable DLC and updates to the game.

Mario Kart will more then likely be their big holiday 2017 title.  That first holiday is going to be the most important time in the systems life so I'd imagine Nintendo wants a new Mario Kart to be it's flagship title during this time since Mario Kart is their biggest home console franchise right now.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 11:32:55 PM »

You joke, but I could see them doing an all-Fire Emblem fighting game down the road.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 12:26:11 AM »
Fire Emblem would go musou before it would be a fighting game.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 12:57:38 AM »
I strongly doubt that there will be another New Super Mario Bros. as we know it. Or at least nowhere near the launch window. I think they're going to position the Mario Maker ecosystem as their answer to Minecraft going forward, with expanding stage elements and item pools and characters and whathaveyou. As good as NSMB Wii and WiiU are, they feel something like a martial arts demo from a master that isn't entering competitions. They even backed away from the free flight elements of SMB3 and Super Mario World. Plus launching with NSMB WiiU is kind of a historical market faceplant for them.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 01:09:33 AM »

You say this as if it were outside the realm of possibility.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 09:04:53 AM »
Plus launching with NSMB WiiU is kind of a historical market faceplant for them.

I still want to live in the alternate universe where instead of New Super Mario Bros 2 launching with the 3DSXL, they turn it into the Wario game it should have been and add a remake of the only good pre-Federation Force Metroid game (Metroid II) for the XL's launch.

Basically, New Super Mario 2 cut their biggest Wii U launch title off at the knees.

You say this as if it were outside the realm of possibility.

Either way, I'd play it.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2016, 09:35:27 AM »

Mario Kart will more then likely be their big holiday 2017 title.  That first holiday is going to be the most important time in the systems life so I'd imagine Nintendo wants a new Mario Kart to be it's flagship title during this time since Mario Kart is their biggest home console franchise right now.

I've said for a while now that I really think their Holiday 2017 title will be Splatoon 2. They'll have had the time to really refine the gameplay from the original, and I think they see it as a bigger system seller than Mario Kart at this point, which I see either coming in the summer of 2017 or early 2018.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2016, 10:03:51 AM »
I still want to live in the alternate universe where instead of New Super Mario Bros 2 launching with the 3DSXL, they turn it into the Wario game it should have been and add a remake of the only good pre-Federation Force Metroid game (Metroid II) for the XL's launch.

Basically, New Super Mario 2 cut their biggest Wii U launch title off at the knees.
Either way, I'd play it.

Yeah the historical faceplant was releasing the greatly inferior NSMB 2 on the 3DS only 3 fucking months earlier, which basically gave all the kids and casual fans their 2D Mario fix on a much cheaper system so they had no reason to spend over $400 for the Wii U.  NSMB U being the only 2D Mario that year would have actually been a good idea for the launch of a new system but releasing two of them within literally months of each other basically sabotaged the later one which NSMB U unfortunately ended up being despite being lightyears better then NSMB 2.

I've said for a while now that I really think their Holiday 2017 title will be Splatoon 2. They'll have had the time to really refine the gameplay from the original, and I think they see it as a bigger system seller than Mario Kart at this point, which I see either coming in the summer of 2017 or early 2018.

Splatoon 2 is more early or Spring 2018 to me.  The Wii U game is still more recent to people then any other major Nintendo franchise and 2017 is already looking to have a huge new Zelda, a new 3D Mario that's probably going to be something mind blowing like Galaxy was when first shown and Mario Kart.  They need to save some big games for 2018 and a new Splatoon would be the perfect way to keep momentum going that year.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai