Author Topic: The Binding of Isaac 3DS Release Blocked  (Read 16926 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: The Binding of Isaac 3DS Release Blocked
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2012, 01:58:42 AM »
You know I spent an hour watching gameplay videos of this game...and honestly the gameplay itself isn't that messed up.

It is basically a M rated horror themed game...or has the content of an M rated horror game.

The main problem is the story and content.  Basically, the story pushes the context of the events to an AO area.  For example the enemies are nondescript in appearance.  You can't really guess what they are just playing the game.  They simply look like monsters to kill. 

However, knowing the context of the story then it becomes more obvious what these creatures represent.  Not until you get to the final levels and face off against your mother and go into her womb does it get to the level were the game crosses any lines that should make it AO...even then a strong M is probably enough.

That said, watching the game, it looked fun, but it also looked generic and pretty uneventful.  Those people that are crying out Nintendo is keeping a great game from its system...probably think its a great game because of the shocking content...and its an "indy art game."  Which I would call BS too.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2012, 02:04:28 AM »
I don't really care about this particular game, but I'm still hoping there's an outside shot at a 3DS port of Super Meat Boy, which is from the same developer, and I'm worried that Nintendo denying this makes that less likely.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »
It's extremely fun, maybe videos don't get it across but there's a lot of learning involved until you have the knowledge and skill to win the game even once (I think I had my first win after 10 hours or so and the game's shorter and easier the first time through). I'd guess most videos are made by players who have already gained significant experience with the game so the learning process isn't visible. I have 47 hours in the game according to Steam and it cost me a fiver.

As for names, Isaac is still a kinda harmless one since that story went well. I don't think you'd want to name your child Cain, Abel, Job or Judas (two of which are alternate characters in TBoI).

The reason the game has a rating in Germany is that a publisher picked it up for a retail release as "The Binding of Isaac: Unholy Edition". They also published retail versions of Super Meat Boy, Limbo and Terraria, all on the PC. There's also a retail version of NyxQuest available here.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:08:47 PM by KDR_11k »

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2012, 02:35:27 PM »
Personal note, I have a son named Issac so I am damn glad I or my kids don't have to see the Holy Bible sitting on book shelves.

If you don't like the Bible why did you name your son Isaac? That's a biblical name.

Because I'm too generic to think of anything other than traditional Biblical names? No, really, I think you missed the point along the way there. :P

As for names, Isaac is still a kinda harmless one since that story went well. I don't think you'd want to name your child Cain, Abel, Job or Judas (two of which are alternate characters in TBoI).

Judas catches far too much flak from uniformed people. He is perhaps the only person throughout the New Testament that plays as important of a role as Jesus himself. Cain's motives could also be debated, but then you leave the realm of straight canon and enter into the outer circles of apocrypha and outright mythology. Living religions are funny like that, always making distinctions between what is or isn't worth teaching.

As for the game, hopefully anyone that wants it already has it. It was in the Humble Bundle a while back, so it literally could have been obtained for free. It's well worth the playthrough, especially if you're a Nintendo fan. There are tons of little references to the Zelda series. It even plays akin to the 2D entries, though has a lot of Smash TV mechanics for good measure.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:46:42 PM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ax23000

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2012, 09:09:32 PM »
Just want to point out that being rated by the ESRB is not free.  That's why Binding of Issac is not rated, it means just that...it has not been rated yet.  It has nothing to do with the game's content.  Had Nintendo agreed to allow the game to be published, McMillien would have had to submit the game for a rating and I'm sure WOULD have done so.

Since Nintendo rejected the game out of hand, there's really no reason for him to bother unless he talks to Sony or Microsoft and has better luck.

As far as what rating it would receive, I'd like to point out that Dante's Inferno received an M rating despite having bare breasts, religious content and far higher realism than Binding of Issac.  It seems very likely to me that Binding of Issac would receive either a T or M rating.   

To those saying the game is merely about 'shock' value, I disagree.  The game is legitimately fun.  I'm not easily shocked, nor was I shocked by this game, but I still enjoyed it a lot.  It's a good game.  The greatest weak point of the experience is probably the controls.  The gameplay itself is a mix between a rouge-like, zelda dungeon, and shooter.   It's a pretty fun combination of elements and for the price (cheap) provides a fair bit of gameplay due to the rouge-like nature.

Personally I don't think Nintendo should make themselves gatekeepers of what issues and concepts a game can touch on.  I understand that they need to ensure a game's quality (that it works and is playable).  I will even accept them keeping an AO game off their store.

Where I take exception is when they start trying to police thoughts and ideas.  That's what's really happening here.  Much like I don't want a bookstore to block sale of thought-provoking, but controversial, books like Catcher in the Rye nor do I think Nintendo should be blocking the sale of a legitimate (like it or not) and thought provoking (agree with it or not) game.

Thought, debate, and free discourse is being crushed down and that isn't cool.  Nintendo has the right to do what they're doing, but they don't have to and they shouldn't.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2012, 10:09:25 PM »
Thought, debate, and free discourse is being crushed down and that isn't cool.  Nintendo has the right to do what they're doing, but they don't have to and they shouldn't.

I hear what you are saying but Nintendo is a business and, as such, are doing exactly what they should be doing: making decisions that (they believe) will protect their bottom line.  Nothing is being "crushed down" because the game is easily and cheaply available elsewhere.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2012, 03:30:33 AM »
Speaking of Dante's Inferno, is that a game Nintendo would have allowed on their system? I hope so, because Sony and Microsoft obviously did, and there is very much a possibility that a sequel to that game could be made. If that happens it should be available on the Wii U as well, but would Nintendo allow it?
is your sanity...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2012, 06:08:02 AM »
Another possibility is that there maybe a "No Flash" policy on the 3DS. It's written in Flash 10 and it slows down on even the highest end computers due to the limitations of Flash. To port it to 3DS under such policy would mean a re-write would be required.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2012, 08:28:12 AM »
Of course a rewrite would be required. I don't think it's even possible to stick a flash application on there and have it run the original version. VVVVVV got a rewrite in C.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2012, 09:44:14 AM »
Forget what I said, I should get more sleep instead.

2 Comments from December provides some insight into the process.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2012, 08:50:13 AM »

Offline top_ramon1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2012, 11:37:20 AM »
Well from my standpoint and being a person with 140+ hours into this game I have to say that it really isnt all that bad. Yes its a little demented but if you take out religion it really isnt even all that bad. I mean with games like dementium, dementium 2, metal gear solid, and resident evil coming out for the 3ds it doesnt even compare. I mean in resident evil your killing like mutated evil zombies with shotguns. But for some reason this game is turned down.... I mean with the binding of isaac your shooting tears at flies and mutated people and pixelated 2d objects. So to me it would only make is seem that nintendo didnt release it because of religion.