Author Topic: Mario Tennis U is now looking fantastic! - any takers?  (Read 3430 times)

Offline andykara2003

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Mario Tennis U is now looking fantastic! - any takers?
« on: October 22, 2015, 10:13:59 AM »
Hi guys -  I just wondered if anyone's getting Mario tennis, coming out next month? My initial opinion on seeing the videos wasn't that good as all they've been showing is gimmiky powerups, but news came out today that there's going to be an option to play straight up tennis online with no gimmicks/powerups. I own the N64 and GC versions, & I'm pretty sure the core gameplay of this game is going to be really fantastic - and multiplayer's really where it's at with these games.Is anyone looking to get into this? It'd be be great to find a few tennis players out there!  Cheers :)

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Tennis U is now looking fantastic! - any takers?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 12:00:08 PM »
Nintendo defied my expectations by including an online mode, but the game still doesn't look meaty enough to justifiy getting it over the N64 version which is drastically cheaper. Perhaps if the online integration was really in depth with some sort of progression or tournaments, and the kind of tournaments that are actually fun ie not Smash 4's tournament mode. Also would I be right in thinking that online doubles is locked behind amiibo if you don't have a 2nd player?

Offline andykara2003

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 12:11:46 PM »
The N64 version is so good isn't it? I still have my 64 hooked up permanently to a CRT. I love the console, but have no one to play local multiplayer with. Yes, very interested in how online is implemented. Not sure about online doubles - I'm just generally looking for a group of like minded casual players to play online with.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 12:27:13 PM »
Sounds as though if you get it on the eshop in Europe you get the N64 version for free, which is slightly more tempting. But also apparently the 3DS version was region locked, so I may not be able to join in with everyone here. Gonna have to wait and see how everything plays out.

Offline andykara2003

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 12:43:21 PM »
That's a point - maybe it will be region locked. It might make sense as you'll need as little online lag as possible for a tennis game. I'm in the UK so should be in the same region as you? Perhaps there are other players in Europe on here who'll get this..
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:45:25 PM by andykara2003 »

Offline andykara2003

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 02:58:01 PM »
I revisited Mario power tennis this afternoon, just to get a reminder. I'd almost forgotten just how good this game's gameplay is. The visuals are also amazing in progressive scan on a high end CRT. Ultra smash might be 'just another Mario tennis game', but if they can preserve and even evolve that level of refined and incredibly fun gameplay into a robust online game then I think we'll have a seriously fun game....

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 06:17:06 PM »
If it were $30, or maybe even 40,  I'd be buying it. But $50 is more than I feel comfortable paying for what seems like just more of the same.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 09:25:02 PM »
Yeah, this game screams $40.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 04:13:09 PM »
According to Gamexplain's discussion, there is no tournament mode, no ring shot, no options menu, no unlockable courts, and no anything that makes it worth $50. This is without question an unfortunate rush job to get something out to replace Star Fox Zero. In positive news, this means I can look into buying a different game at least.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 08:32:06 PM »
Unfortunate. I'm no longer interested in this game.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 01:22:11 AM »
I was waiting for more information regarding the game and what has come out tells me there is no point in buying this game if you already own Mario Tennis Open. I do own that game. Even if you don't buying the 3DS is a better purchase in terms of content it seems. Now the online might be better on the Wii U but the price being asked is to much for the content you get when there is a clear alternative if you also have a 3DS. If you don't then you just have to decide if the asking price is okay.

Offline andykara2003

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 11:27:56 AM »
The game's file size is miniscule - 888MB. A lot smaller than Mario power tennis for the Wii (1.46Gb)

http://nintendoeverything.com/mario-tennis-ultra-smash-file-size/