Author Topic: Nintendo Unveils New Entry Level Handheld, the 2DS  (Read 21083 times)

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer
Nintendo Unveils New Entry Level Handheld, the 2DS
« on: August 28, 2013, 11:39:13 AM »

The next iteration of the 3DS is coming sooner than you think. 

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/35288

The Nintendo 2DS, the latest entry into the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, is set to release in North America on October 12 and will retail for $129.99.

The system will be available in Red and Blue and will feature a slate-like design as opposed to the clamshell design of the Nintendo DS and 3DS. The screens are the same size of the screens on the original 3DS.

The 2DS is able to play all Nintendo DS, 3DS packaged and downloadable titles and maintains all of the online features of the 3DS. The only exception is that games cannot be played in stereoscopic 3D.

Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Unveils New Entry Level Handheld, the 2DS
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 11:42:39 AM »
This, this could be a money maker. Only $130.

Will Nintendo now phase out all the OLD DS and DSi systems? Will the 3DS also be phased out to be replaced by the 3DS XL?

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 11:55:35 AM »
Great idea Nintendo!!!

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 11:58:59 AM »
I can totally see myself getting this. Question for my 3DS owning forum friends, how important is the 3D effect on most games? I assume it's not important enough seeing as how Nintendo is releasing a 3D-less model, but I still want to know.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 12:06:57 PM »
I'd be willing to give up my 3D to save $50 (I use it, but I don't find it critical), but I don't know if I'd be willing to give up the ability to fold it closed

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 12:11:03 PM »
I don't know what is wrong with you people. This is a horrible idea. The worst thing they could have done when the 3DS is selling like hotcakes and the Wii U is tanking so hard.

I'm just imagining the bullshit I'm going to have to deal with trying to explain to customers what's the difference between a DS and a 3DS and a 2DS. Oi.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 12:12:51 PM »
That form factor is very appealing, with no fragile hinge to break. The price is an amazing deal. But I know it won't fit in my pocket. :-P
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 12:13:31 PM »
I can totally see myself getting this. Question for my 3DS owning forum friends, how important is the 3D effect on most games? I assume it's not important enough seeing as how Nintendo is releasing a 3D-less model, but I still want to know.

COnsidering you can completely shut it off at any time, it isn't important. Not unless like 3D.

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 12:16:35 PM »
This is exciting news.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 12:19:35 PM »
I agree the timing might be a bit off, considering this news takes away from the hype of the Wii U price drop. Specially since Nintendo needs to concentrate on selling some Wii Us this holiday season.

But for somone like me who had no interest in a $170 handheld with a feature that already felt like it was being phased out? I'm intrigued.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 12:25:17 PM »
Good luck protecting those screens. And hell, putting it in your pocket.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 12:25:35 PM »
Didn't the 3D screen cost like three magic beans per unit? I get the impression that the original 3DS is overpriced now.

I don't think this is a very good idea mainly because of consumer perception. Have fun explaining to people that this is still a 3DS. Also, it looks like a pain in the ass to use the touchscreen with the face buttons. I'll stick with my 3DS XL. That thing is the bomb dot com.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 12:26:47 PM »
I don't think this is a very good idea mainly because of consumer perception. Have fun explaining to people that this is still a 3DS. Also, it looks like a pain in the ass to use the touchscreen with the face buttons. I'll stick with my 3DS XL. That thing is the bomb dot com.

Thank you, somebody with a little sense. The casual consumers that will buy a Nintendo handheld for their children this Christmas are going to have a fun time trying to figure what is what.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 12:29:20 PM »
So after all the hoopala about 3D Nintendo has just outright stripped it out.  The 3DS initially sold quite poorly so it was clear that the 3D gimmick wasn't impressing anyone.  Yet the Wii U uses the same approach of (in theory) hooking people in with a gimmick.  When it was clearly not working the 3DS why didn't they rethink their approach with the Wii U?  Not enough time?  The 3DS always had the advantage that it could stand on its own without the 3D feature but the Wii U without the Gamepad would just be some underpowered last gen console (the Wii had the same issue; it's worthless seperated from its gimmick).  I guess they just never noticed the obvious out they had with the 3DS and DS where if the gimmick failed they had a capable enough system without it.

With this and with the Wii U failing hard I have hope that Nintendo's gimmick phase is about to end and they'll go back to concentrating on making great games as their selling point - the whole reason the 3DS bounced back and the REAL reason the DS was successful.

I don't need the 3D crap so this seems like it would be a good choice for when I want to get a 3DS for Pokemon.  But I don't know about the lack of a clamshell.  How is this portable anymore?  I use handhelds largely as a stay-at-home system anyway but in the rare situation where I do take one with me this seems too big.  Is the hinge so expensive that they had to remove it to bring the price down?  Perhaps they're trying to create that association with tablets but how is that working out for the Wii U?

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 12:31:08 PM »
This is fantastic. Perfect for me, as I can't see 3D effects anyway.

Definitely buying one come 12 October. I really like the design, too.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 12:36:16 PM »
Good luck protecting those screens. And hell, putting it in your pocket.

-Screen protectors?
-I haven't bought a handheld since the GBA SP. My gaming experiences are strictly a home thing now. The only reason I would buy this is to take advantage of the 3DS' unique game library, not because I want to game outside my house. So for me, this is a really attractive deal.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 12:37:31 PM »
A thin sheet of plastic doesn't do **** versus gorilla glass.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 12:43:59 PM »
Will I get one?  Probably.
Not a day-one purchase though.  My favorite aspect of the 3DS is the StreetPass features.  I can't carry this in my pockets.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 12:45:50 PM »
Its a nice idea but that thing looks god awful.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »
This a smart move and dumb one at the same time. It's great that it's not a clamshell design, as it is meant for kids. They'd snap the hinges in two easily. On the other hand, I can imagine parents with bewildered looks on their faces not knowing where the 2DS games are and why they are being pointed to 3DS games.

Maybe I can get my brother to get himself one. He doesn't care for the 3D effect, so this would be perfect for him. Finally we'd be able to play 3DS titles together.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 12:58:02 PM »
With this and with the Wii U failing hard I have hope that Nintendo's gimmick phase is about to end and they'll go back to concentrating on making great games as their selling point - the whole reason the 3DS bounced back and the REAL reason the DS was successful.
Your reasoning doesn't make sense. If Nintendo is already doing the thing that made successful, how can they go back to it?

And seriously, 3D was so unobtrusive. I don't see how it can be viewed negatively as a gimmick. It was there for people who wanted it and didn't cost much.

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 01:05:19 PM »
*Checks date*

Nowhere near April Fools. So.... this isn't a joke? O_o

Well... ok then I guess. Taking out 3D doesn't surprise me that much, honestly. But why get rid of the clamshell design? Does that add significantly to the cost of the system? The lack of that feature would be a dealbreaker for me.

Personally I absolutely love my XL, but I might have to pick up one of these down the road when they're really cheap just for the WTF factor.

Also, random side note, now we can't call the original DS "2DS" anymore. It's like Xbox One all over again! :P:

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 01:06:51 PM »
It looks stupid.

But considering i already bought two 3DSs and lost one, i'm not in the market for this. They probably want to kill all that predisposition in parents minds about 3D.

But jeez, how stupid this looks.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 01:09:59 PM »
No clamshell design. Nintendo changing the form factors of their hand-helds

Prediction: Next handheld will also be a tablet/pad/slate design. Wireless HD to TV maybe? 2015 maybe?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 01:40:34 PM »
Seems like this is targeting children with the simplified, accessible design and lack of 3D display. Releasing in tandem with Pokemon will probably give this a huge boost.

Not my cup of tea, but might find a willing market.
NNID: ejamer