Author Topic: Nintendo Unveils New Entry Level Handheld, the 2DS  (Read 21234 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Unveils New Entry Level Handheld, the 2DS
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2013, 09:44:25 AM »
Then why is it that this website is the only place I've seen who welcomes this? All I've seen is warranted hatred towards this awful piece of hardware, until I come to a Nintendo fansite where they welcome this piece of junk with open arms.
It might not seem it as of late but as a community we tend to be open and this is not a bad piece of kit when you think of it.

A lot of people especially in the Hardcore area wish the 3D gone.
Kids like to fiddling with things and parents have to unfiddle them.  I'm not going to get them a system where I have to constantly be moving up or down the slider.
The hinges are and will always be the weakest point and kids aren't gentle.

Honestly I don't really know what Nintendo could have done to make a new Sku really.  This is clever outside of the box thinking on their part.
Agreed.

The lower price and omission of the fragile hinge makes this a must-buy for me. I'm just upset because there is only one speaker instead of two.

My current 3DS (not an XL) has a weak hinge that broke recently, and this 2DS will be a perfect replacement.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2013, 11:38:01 AM »
as long as the person buying it sees what it actually looks like.
That's the entire problem. A kid asks for a 2DS and if you're not well-versed in gaming, you're probably walking into the store without a clue of what you're looking for, even if you saw one briefly. And working retail is the worst because trying to explain this stuff to newbz is like Abbott and Costello's "Who's on first?"

I guess all those fears will be squashed when the kid drags his parents into Gamestop pointing like mad at the poster of Pokemon X and Y with a picture of the 2DS system.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2013, 12:51:48 PM »
What I don't like about the 2DS is that it's almost a product I would like.  A cheaper 3DS without the 3D features that I don't want to use anyway would be great.  But with this I lose the clamshell design.  I think there's a market for a 2DS for grown-ups but Nintendo isn't offering it and this kid-focused 2DS has put the concept of such a product in our heads.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2013, 12:56:25 PM »
How is this marketed to kids? It's flat...like an iPad...like a Nexus 7/10...like a Galaxy Note. And all of these devices are bought and used by adults.

Just because Pokémon comes out alongside this thing in October doesn't mean it's being marketed towards little children. I feel as if that's a very obtuse assumption. I'm 31 years of age, and I want one of these things NOW. It's perfect for me - just not for my copy of Phantom Hourglass...
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2013, 01:01:44 PM »
How is this marketed to kids? It's flat...like an iPad...like a Nexus 7/10...like a Galaxy Note. And all of these devices are bought and used by adults.

Just because Pokémon comes out alongside this thing in October doesn't mean it's being marketed towards little children. I feel as if that's a very obtuse assumption. I'm 31 years of age, and I want one of these things NOW. It's perfect for me - just not for my copy of Phantom Hourglass...

1) Isn't the whole "targeting children" thing directly from the announcement? 
2) You also can't deny the argument a simplified, more durable handheld is a attractive feature to a parent who knows their kid will drop, bash, and spill things on their handheld. 
3) No one is saying there isn't any compelling argument for older kids or adults, just that it is geared more towards kids.  I can't deny that the $120 price point is attractive in general.  That brings it down to DS/DSi prices.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2013, 01:20:10 PM »
What I don't like about the 2DS is that it's almost a product I would like.  A cheaper 3DS without the 3D features that I don't want to use anyway would be great.  But with this I lose the clamshell design.  I think there's a market for a 2DS for grown-ups but Nintendo isn't offering it and this kid-focused 2DS has put the concept of such a product in our heads.
Losing the clamshell is what makes it cheaper. You're the first person who mentioned that the screens on 2DS are really just one large screen. If you really want a cheaper clamshell 3DS, just wait for a sale. 3DS and XL go on sale for $20-$30 several times a year. That's what I did. If you really want to save that $40, I'm sure if you look hard enough, you can probably get it even cheaper.

And I don't use 3D. A lot of people don't. I usually turn it on once the first time I play a game, just see what it looks like then turn it off for the rest my time with the game. I really don't understand why 3D existing is so offensive to you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2013, 06:22:31 PM »
I think there's a good idea behind this, and the design seems mostly fine. But I think a price of $99.99 would be better for what they're aiming at. I guess it may not matter much since the DS still sold like crazy at $130, but this still feels like something that should have come a little later on since the 3DS is currently selling well.

The name is the worst thing about it, but they're kind of stuck with that problem regardless of what it is.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2013, 11:28:39 PM »
Let's just admit that 99% of us will not buy it!
I hate how people call the 3ds the DS3!
Made you look ****.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2013, 11:40:38 PM »
Let's just admit that 99% of us will not buy it!
I hate how people call the 3ds the DS3!

how can you say that? From the comments it sounds like most of us actually want it but are torn over little things. I want one. And so what if they call it the DS 3 isn't it the third product in the line that sounds like nitpicking.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2013, 01:14:55 AM »
I like it. I own a 3DS, a 3DS XL and I'll probably buy 2 of these 2DS units (In my family my 2 kids, my wife and I all play)

Offline Chad Sexington

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • UO Thief
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2013, 05:53:23 AM »
Not interested.

3D vs. 2D aside; I can't image going back to a small screen.
12 years of Ultima Online - www.uothief.com - Twitter: @UOThief

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2013, 08:28:47 AM »
3DS and XL go on sale for $20-$30 several times a year.

What?  Where!?!  I want a $20-$30 3DS/XL!  I want seven of them!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2013, 08:35:04 AM »
I had a feeling someone would comment on that, but since I can't edit, I hoped that people would just naturally assume that "off" should be after "$20-$30." However, if you could like to mail me $140, I'll send you seven 3DS units at $20 per. Not pictured. Sold as is, no refunds.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2013, 08:50:21 AM »
:D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2013, 03:35:08 PM »
I guess I need to analyze the photos a little more closely but how is this so big it can't be considered a hand held? I thought it was just the same size as the 3DS unfolded anyways.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2013, 11:04:37 PM »
I guess I need to analyze the photos a little more closely but how is this so big it can't be considered a hand held? I thought it was just the same size as the 3DS unfolded anyways.

It's actually a tiny bit bigger.

I hate how the screens aren't XL-sized. That huge bezel is a waste of space.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2013, 12:29:41 AM »
You're a waste of space.