Author Topic: Nintendo Unveils New Entry Level Handheld, the 2DS  (Read 21180 times)

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Unveils New Entry Level Handheld, the 2DS
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 01:46:16 PM »
Ditching 3d seems like a good move as does the low price and launching alongside the next main Pokemon game.

I don't mind the non-clamshell design since I don't find it all that comfortable to walk around with much of anything in my pockets--my handhelds always traveled in a backpack or messenger bag, anyway.  Buttons/screen damage is a concern, though.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 01:47:05 PM »
For me, given the option of for a more expensive 3D model for a Nintendo handheld, I go 3D everytime. It's a nice visual bonus for me in a one off cost. I didn't buy a 3DS at launch not because of the 3D effect, it was from the lack of games I wanted not to mention the price was a hair too high at the time.

While this thing isn't for me, as I like to say, "If you don't sell it, I can't buy it".
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline pyrokamileon

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 01:50:26 PM »
I bought a 3ds because I really wanted 3d gaming! people have suggested nintendo take out 3d forever but I never believed they would actually back pedal on their design choice. they are selling this to kids who shouldn't be exposed to 3d, I understand that. for the first time nintendo has released a product that I have absolutely no interest in buying :-(
At some point, I'd think Nintendo fans would get sick of the anticipation and just say "screw it," but Nintendophiles are odd, odd creatures indeed.<BR>—Chris Carle, IGN

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 01:57:01 PM »
Apparently this thing only has a single mono speaker instead of the two stereo speakers of the other models.  It does support stereo with headphones though.  Eh, that's pretty much a deal breaker for me.  I'm not broke, I might as well go for the XL.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 02:01:29 PM »
The real question is the 2DS so bad that even UncleBob wouldn't buy it?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 02:10:45 PM »
The real question is the 2DS so bad that even UncleBob wouldn't buy it?

Although I find it unattractive the 2DS really isn't that bad.  It's certainly no Wii Mini.
NNID: ejamer

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 02:39:23 PM »
What's wrong with the form factor? The current 3DS models have fragile hinges, and this thing actually looks comfortable to hold.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 02:45:46 PM »
Have using that touchscreen then.

And fragile hinges? Ease up on them, Hulk Hands...

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2013, 03:28:35 PM »
Not that the 3DS is that comfortable, but the 2DS looks like it would be just plain painful to hold onto for long stretches. 

It's a bonus that the weak hinges are gone, but it comes completely at the cost of portability, unless they assume that things like the iPAD are considered portable despite being relatively large.

I personally enjoy using the 3D on occasion, but it isn't integral to my experiences, and more often than not I find the way they use the 3D either ineffective, or worse, distracting from the game experience.

I think it's a smart move by Nintendo.  Continue enlargening the consumer base of their profitable handheld system by releasing a lower-priced model that takes out some bells and whistles.  People need to stop bemoaning the fact they aren't using these resources on the Wii U, as every good company diversifies their efforts to work towards a profitable situation.

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2013, 03:35:03 PM »
C'mon, people! The 2DS (great idea) looks god awful. What were they thinking?! It genuinely looks like a child's toy, and a cheap Chinese knockoff.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2013, 03:38:13 PM »
Considering this entry model is launching with Pokemon and removes the thing Nintendo does not recommend for anyone under seven years of age, resembling a child's toy is exactly what this should look like.

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2013, 03:43:18 PM »
Considering this entry model is launching with Pokemon and removes the thing Nintendo does not recommend for anyone under seven years of age, resembling a child's toy is exactly what this should look like.

The price is very attractive to me (I still don't have a 3DS), but that design is the number one reason why I won't be buying it.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2013, 04:03:18 PM »
Guess I'm still waiting for the Hi Def DS- but seriously the more I think about it the more it feels like it's a fail safe from parents who won't understand that you can disable the 3D on the 3DS already and that's it. The design reminds me of the handhelds I used to have as a kid: http://www.gamernoize.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/cole.jpg
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline LudicrousDa3ve

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2013, 04:05:08 PM »
I have four kids, that can be awfully heavy handed. This is a very good move. Thanks to the price, Santa might be bringing a couple of these for the kids to fight over. Maybe then they'll leave our 3DS alone and stop creating extra folders all the damned time. :)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2013, 04:09:38 PM »
This thing is going to be huge for Nintendo this holiday season.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2013, 04:10:11 PM »
The price is very attractive to me (I still don't have a 3DS), but that design is the number one reason why I won't be buying it.
I recommend the XL anyway. It'll probably go on sale again before the end of the year.

Offline pandaradox

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2013, 04:10:59 PM »
SO. I hop on here to see the trolling on the 2DS... to my surprise it's well received (I guess that's a good thing for Nintendo's bottomline). Considering that Nintendo could have made the 3DS form just without the 3D boggles my mind.  The screens are exposed, so ugh.  The whole thing looks like a leapfrog.  And I do not want to be that guy that has a zipper case for my system.  I might as well stand next to that one guy that has a little leather bag for his iphone. 

No thank you.

I mean, look at the intro video.  The father can't even believe his son is playing on one.  Now we watch the decline from clam-form.  I'm going to rage at the next handheld looking like a GB Brick. 3DS XL is the way to go. 

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2013, 04:14:16 PM »
We're on a Nintendo fansite. Unfortunately, of course it's well received.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2013, 04:16:49 PM »
We're on a Nintendo fansite. Unfortunately, of course it's well received.

You've been here long enough to know that it doesn't work that way. There's plenty of criticism of Nintendo here, both warranted and not.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2013, 04:18:47 PM »
Then why is it that this website is the only place I've seen who welcomes this? All I've seen is warranted hatred towards this awful piece of hardware, until I come to a Nintendo fansite where they welcome this piece of junk with open arms.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2013, 04:29:39 PM »
I'm baffled that anyone over the age of seven thinks the 2DS was designed with them in mind. I know the announcement video shows adults playing it, but nothing procludes adults from using it. Any parent in this thread who has said something along the lines of "This would be great for my kid(s)" has the right idea.

2DS makes sense, except the name. I mean, I get it because what's not to get if you already own one, but I don't think the general public necessarily will.

I read on other sites that the battery life is the same. That's probably the only thing about the design I feel is a total missed opportunity.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2013, 04:56:32 PM »
I find the "this is for kids" justification for the lack of a hinge kind of weird.  Like the fuckin' 3DS wasn't kid friendly?  How about every single variation of the DS or the GBA SP?  Kids who aren't insanely stupid can handle a clam shell design without breaking it.

There is an article on USGamer.net that mentions that the 2DS uses one singular screen and then uses the plactic molding to give it the appearance of seperate screens.  So they just wanted to cut the price down by going with one screen instead of two.  It's that simple.  Any suggestion that kids can't handle a clamshell design is absolute nonsense.  Hell, I see small kids using their parents' iPhone and that's a lot more delicate and expensive than a 3DS.  Kids today are raised with technology and learn how to handle it correctly pretty damn soon.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2013, 04:58:14 PM »
Yeah, the name seems like an odd choice, but I'm not sure how they could have gotten around it. They wanted to make sure people knew that it didn't do 3D, and calling it 3DS 2D would be even worse. Other than the name, I really don't see what the problem is. Simpler, more durable construction allows for a lower price point that appeals to parents. Seems like a slam dunk for Nintendo.

J.P. Corbran

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2013, 05:13:38 PM »
or gamers on a budget who don't care for the 3D?

How is it that Nintendo's first handheld ever to launch above $150 is suddenly regarded as their standard and when they do something that is more in line with their traditional approach suddenly it is a joke? This thing looks more like a real Gameboy than any previous DS has and I for one am excited about it. Especially the price drop, as even at $170 the 3DS was over priced.

I agree the Wii U gamepad does look an awful lot like a gimmick which is one thing holding me back I HATED the Wiimote it was not for me. but tablets and touch screens are more natural and something people are more used to so it makes more sense than the waggle wand ever did. It just kind of backfired because of the changing audience.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2013, 05:21:57 PM »
I find the "this is for kids" justification for the lack of a hinge kind of weird.  Like the fuckin' 3DS wasn't kid friendly?
Removing 3D speaks more to who this model is designed for than removing the hinges. Nintendo has been saying since day one that children under seven shouldn't use 3D. Hey, look, now here's a 3DS without 3D. 2DS isn't replacing the other models. Nintendo isn't giving up on 3D; they're clearly targeting a certain demographic. It's cheaper for parents with more than one kid and without 3D, it assuages fears that kids' eyes will fall out and burst into flames or whatever some parents think will happen if their spawn messes with the 3D slider.

And I won't believe 2DS using a single screen until it's confirmed. That seems like it'd be more expensive.