Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1588002 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U is here
« Reply #5100 on: November 27, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »
I think Capcom is foolish not to take the time now to reinvent Mega Man.

Personally, I would love to see Mega Man go more Contra style.  2D hardcore shooter and platformer...eight way directional shooting. 

Continue to have boss robots and the ability to take there powers, but have more of a paper/rock/scissors game through the entire series with enemies throughout the levels that are weak to some attacks and stronger to others...and perhaps push item management alittle more...and have one big open world instead stages...make it kinda like Metroid-Mega Man game. 

I would buy that for a dollar.  (Actually more.)

THANK YOU SPAK! I was just about to say the same thing, even if they wanted to bring back MM and couldn't think of a good way to bring him into 3D (I still don't personally like Legends, and I know it has it's fans but c'mon, that's not the same kind of MM that made him a star to begin with) then just do something akin to Rayman and make a super beautiful 2D game, just ramp up the action and the difficulty. I don't usually clamor for a sequel thats "more of the same" but in this case, just fucking do it already.

Those MM Network games weren't my cup of tea because it didn't feel like MegaMan. The Zero games were good but felt lacking in something that just wasn't MM. The ZX STarforce or whatever series sounded like a good return to form but I barely played my DS and when I did decide to buy them, I couldn't find them in stores (and only now am I more prone to shop online, go figure). Still, playing as a child who dons some armor to make him like MM isn't the same as playing as THE MM, ya know?

Bring that **** back, make it look crazy good, make it bring the hurt; massive amounts of enemies on screen for some twitchy slide/jump/shoot gameplay, none of that shity X5 and X6 level designs, etc.

The bosses shouldn't have just one weakness either, I think that's what made the series super stale to begin with. Once you figured out the order, and it was usually basic stuff like fire>ice etc, you'd always play the game the same way. **** that noise. Bosses should have multiple weaknesses, shouldn't be completely nurfed when you come in with one of their weaknesses, they should also change up their patters a bit more (which yes, they've done that to some extent, but it's still predictable as ****) and not just when they're about to die, and yes there should be more usage of those acquired weapons outside of the bosses. Branching paths, more secrets and things that affect the other areas (such as defeating Storm Eagle would cuase a power outage in Spark Mandrill's stage).

Honestly that would be the best way to revamp MM, take everything that's made the series great, make it better, and once that becomes successful, try doing something new with it.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: November 27, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »
ZX and Starforce are completely different games. The ZX series is basically a continuation of Mega Man X, taking place after the Zero series. In Mega Man ZX, you play as a human (!) who uses Reploid armor to transform into (not the real) Mega Man X.

The Starforce series is a continuation of the Battle Network series; the games are set in an alternate universe where networking ruled supreme instead of robotics.

It basically goes like this:

Robotics Universe:
- Mega Man Classic
- Mega Man X
- Mega Man Zero
- Mega Man ZX
- (is Mega Man Legends a spinoff?)

Networking Universe:
- Mega Man Battle Network
- Mega Man Network Transmission (GameCube)
- Mega Man Starforce

I prefer the robotic universe myself. I don't know why Capcom thought it was necessary to make a completely different spinoff series. Mega Man is, and always has been, a robot. He isn't some cyber warrior avatar fighting internet viruses...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:26:16 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5102 on: November 27, 2012, 08:52:25 PM »
I think Legends takes place after ZX.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: November 27, 2012, 08:57:21 PM »
How can Mega Man Legends take place after the ZX series? In Legends, Mega Man Vollnut is still a robot, while in the ZX games, humans are in possession of Reploid armor.

I'm thinking Legends either:

A) ...is set between the Classic and X series
B) ...is a spinoff of the Classic series

Either way, there is no way to link Mega Man Legends directly with any other game in the franchise. Also, look at Mega Man Vollnut; he resembles the Blue Bomber more than any other Mega Man character.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 09:00:15 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5104 on: November 27, 2012, 09:02:23 PM »
Wikipedia says it's after ZX, taking place in the year 80XX.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: November 27, 2012, 09:24:19 PM »

Wikipedia says it's after ZX, taking place in the year 80XX.

Wikipedia knows all, right? -_-

I'd rather get confirmation from Capcom themselves, or even the "Mega Man Network" fansite.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5106 on: November 27, 2012, 10:23:48 PM »
I think Capcom is foolish not to take the time now to reinvent Mega Man.

Personally, I would love to see Mega Man go more Contra style.  2D hardcore shooter and platformer...eight way directional shooting. 

Continue to have boss robots and the ability to take there powers, but have more of a paper/rock/scissors game through the entire series with enemies throughout the levels that are weak to some attacks and stronger to others...and perhaps push item management alittle more...and have one big open world instead stages...make it kinda like Metroid-Mega Man game. 

I would buy that for a dollar.  (Actually more.)

THANK YOU SPAK! I was just about to say the same thing, even if they wanted to bring back MM and couldn't think of a good way to bring him into 3D (I still don't personally like Legends, and I know it has it's fans but c'mon, that's not the same kind of MM that made him a star to begin with) then just do something akin to Rayman and make a super beautiful 2D game, just ramp up the action and the difficulty. I don't usually clamor for a sequel thats "more of the same" but in this case, just fucking do it already.

Those MM Network games weren't my cup of tea because it didn't feel like MegaMan. The Zero games were good but felt lacking in something that just wasn't MM. The ZX STarforce or whatever series sounded like a good return to form but I barely played my DS and when I did decide to buy them, I couldn't find them in stores (and only now am I more prone to shop online, go figure). Still, playing as a child who dons some armor to make him like MM isn't the same as playing as THE MM, ya know?

Bring that **** back, make it look crazy good, make it bring the hurt; massive amounts of enemies on screen for some twitchy slide/jump/shoot gameplay, none of that shity X5 and X6 level designs, etc.

The bosses shouldn't have just one weakness either, I think that's what made the series super stale to begin with. Once you figured out the order, and it was usually basic stuff like fire>ice etc, you'd always play the game the same way. **** that noise. Bosses should have multiple weaknesses, shouldn't be completely nurfed when you come in with one of their weaknesses, they should also change up their patters a bit more (which yes, they've done that to some extent, but it's still predictable as ****) and not just when they're about to die, and yes there should be more usage of those acquired weapons outside of the bosses. Branching paths, more secrets and things that affect the other areas (such as defeating Storm Eagle would cuase a power outage in Spark Mandrill's stage).

Honestly that would be the best way to revamp MM, take everything that's made the series great, make it better, and once that becomes successful, try doing something new with it.

True...why not build upon the bosses.  Let the bosses have weakness to many of the weapons, and resistances to many of the weapons...and make killing them part pattern recognition, part puzzle.  For instance.  If I have a weapon that freezes an enemy, I can freeze them during a jump and shoot another weapon that pushes them into spikes or something. 

Make it a puzzle to beat them...but still possible to beat them the normal way. 

I also agree with crazy amounts of enemies on screen, but also the intimate big enemies that rain fire on you.  I always thought mid level bosses should be the massive scary enemies, and then the robot masters are more personal in your face skilled combatants. 

The franchise needs to stay 2D.  Keep Mega Man...Mega Man, none of the X, Z, or whatever.  Classic Mega Man.  But keep details on him to a minimal.  I always thought the 16 bit Mega Man did not look right.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #5107 on: November 27, 2012, 10:36:19 PM »
I would love to see a Mega Man game dive into some Metroid style backtracking with an open-world feel. Collect reploid parts (helmet to break walls/blocks above you, dash boots to cross larger pits/gaps, etc.) to increase your mobility throughout the world. And each robot master (each getting progressively harder) are the boss fights in each section of the world. Even throw some Maverick hunters in there to spice up the progression.

It could work.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #5108 on: November 28, 2012, 09:29:03 AM »
That article about TVii has an update that says the delay is only confirmed for Europe. US may still be December.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: November 28, 2012, 12:50:21 PM »
I would love to see a Mega Man game dive into some Metroid style backtracking with an open-world feel. Collect reploid parts (helmet to break walls/blocks above you, dash boots to cross larger pits/gaps, etc.) to increase your mobility throughout the world. And each robot master (each getting progressively harder) are the boss fights in each section of the world. Even throw some Maverick hunters in there to spice up the progression.

It could work.

Mega Man ZX did all that. It's on the Nintendo DS.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5110 on: November 28, 2012, 07:29:33 PM »
Finally got one! A local Target had both models in stock today.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: November 28, 2012, 07:35:55 PM »
Awesome! Join us! One of us, one of us...

I only saw 2 Basic Sets at Walmart since launch. I believe that was on Tuesday at like 1am. What? I needed milk and cereal...

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: November 28, 2012, 08:17:03 PM »

It could work.

Mega Man ZX did all that. It's on the Nintendo DS.

Thank you, I was going to say the same. The Metroid style overworld made me interested but as said earlier, I never found it in retail and at the time I wasn't fond of shopping online. If i find it at the right price, I'll buy it now.

Spak: this is where you and I will disagree. While I love the Classic Series, I am also fond of the X series (at least games 1 - 3, 4 is okay but everything after that.. bleh). It wasn't just about making Mega Man eXtreme (though I'm made they made this) but about expanding the story. It was no longer about Dr. Wily trying to take over the world by building/stealing powerful robots or just general revenge on Mega Man with more robots. It took until MM8 for Capcom to try something new with the story (evil energy) but it came out at least 3 years after MMX introduced this new story. At the time I was excited because it seemed to be trying to arc the two series together, but that never happened. At least if it did, I missed it. That Evil Energy from space in MM8 was never explicitly said to be the Zero Virus from the from the X series, even if they've insinuated time and time again the Zero was built by Wily (across at least 3 different MM series no less!).

So yeah, that was part of the appeal. You're in control of MMX, a more advanced robot designed with free will, able to choose to disobey the law of robotics, battling against similar creations based on his design but due to not being properly tested, are prone to going maverick and revolting. Some even want freedom and before long MM himself even questions his choice to continue fighting for peace as it obviously means more and more violence. That's pretty deep stuff for a video game about a robot :P And there's no denying that the stuff introduced in this series provides for a better MM experience over-all.

So yeah in a perfect world, Capcom will deliver us a great in-between title, literally. Something that bridges both MM and MMX series together, provides the fun gameplay of both with the difficulty of MM1 in the style of Contra and a beautiful 2D HD world akin to what we've seen with Rayman Legends.

Back on topic though:

Congrats to nickmitch on joining the rest of us! Better get that friend request eventually
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:39:23 PM by EasyCure »
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5113 on: November 28, 2012, 09:34:27 PM »
Hey, the update takes a while. You know that.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: November 28, 2012, 09:39:31 PM »
Hey, the update takes a while. You know that.

edited my post ;)

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5115 on: November 28, 2012, 09:41:09 PM »
2 LOLs

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5116 on: November 29, 2012, 12:07:24 AM »
Actually, The X series has grown on me...and I actually acknowledge it now as true Mega Man.  However, it is not my preferred Mega Man, that is still the classic. 

But, I also understand that the original Mega Man design doesn't work with too much detail and the Mega Man X design does.  I think it came out when everything had to be extreme and I had a very negative backlash to it...and I didn't give it a good chance.

But, now I am older and I should look at the merits of the games more...and they are solid...except for some extremely challenging and not very enjoyable on rails moving platforming.  I hate that level design concept with a passion.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: November 29, 2012, 11:42:20 AM »
German Amazon shipped me my Wii U, along with a bunch of games and books.

Come on, DHL, hurry up.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: November 29, 2012, 12:24:04 PM »
Hey guys, I'll be getting my Wii U tomorrow, but here's a question. I want something to protect the screen, my friend has a sheet of protective plastic that you can cut out to meet whatever you need to apply it on, it's like a long roll of screen protection. But would you guys recommend it? Are they all the same, or is it better to get something else? I want to be sure that I don't mess up the screen.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: November 29, 2012, 12:47:27 PM »
As long as you can use the stylus and touch screen through it.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: November 29, 2012, 12:53:43 PM »
Thanks Shy, was worried if it was corrosive or something lol

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: November 29, 2012, 05:29:18 PM »
eh... I wouldn't worry about it being corrosive - but if it's not made out of the right material (sticky-part wise), removing it might be a ***** (and could damage your screen) down the road.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: November 29, 2012, 07:28:56 PM »
I hear good things about the Hori Wii U Screen Protector.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: November 30, 2012, 06:14:11 PM »
Hey guys, got my Wii U today, I'm stoked! downloading the updates. really excited!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: December 01, 2012, 12:07:08 AM »
Hey guys, got my Wii U today, I'm stoked! downloading the updates. really excited!

Welcome to a wonderful world of gaming :)