Author Topic: Top 10 Wii U Games: Year One  (Read 12473 times)

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 Wii U Games: Year One
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 05:41:02 PM »

[size=0.78125em]Azeke,[/size]
[size=0.78125em]Did you try with the disc or just digital?[/size]
[size=0.78125em]NWR_insanolord-Is it possible you played on disc and Azeke digitally and it's faster on the disc?[/size]

[size=0.9375em]azeke[/size][size=0.8125em]4 hours ag[/size]
[size=0.78125em]Unfortunately, loading times are still the same D:
Even having digital version won't speed it up.[/size]

[/color][size=0.9375em]NWR_insanolord[/b][/size][size=0.8125em][/color]J.P. Corbran, Community Manager[/size][/color][size=0.8125em]4 hours ago[/size]

[/size][size=0.78125em]Quote from: azeke

[/size][size=0.78125em]Quote from: Leo13

1-How much have the loading times improved with the system updates?[/size][size=0.78125em]
Unfortunately, loading times are still the same D:
Even having digital version won't speed it up.
[/size][size=0.78125em]

In my experience, the load times have gotten considerably better via the various system updates, although they're still longer than they really should be.[/size][size=0.8125em]

Offline EvilMario

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 06:56:39 PM »
1. Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate
2. Super Mario 3D World
3. Pikmin 3
4. New Super Mario Bros. U / Super Luigi U
5. Nintendo Land
6. ZombiU
7. Nano Assault Neo
8. Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party
-snip-
9. The Wonderful 101
10. Sonic Lost World

I really feel like most people, especially those that don't own a Wii U, or just recently bought it, underrate just how good Nintendo Land can be. Not just for the 'party games', but the single player offerings are stellar too.

I added the snip under 8 because I wouldn't really put W101, or Sonic on my recommended list for the Wii U's first year, but I just didn't have much else to add. Notably other titles I considered, Toki Tori 2, which didn't click with me too well and Dungeons & Dragons, which was fine for what it was.

Obviously the odd choice on the list is Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party. But it really is quite an entertaining title for the price. That is, if you have people that will actually want to play it, since the games are sometimes weird, odd, hilarious and anything, but what you would expect from a video game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTC6h2IG1CA&t=7m45s

Overall, I enjoyed the Wii U plenty for the first year. I think for a gamer, it had plenty to offer, even with the early drought. But for joe-public and more casual fans of games, it still doesn't have 'that' game to bring them in.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 07:36:07 PM »
Because a couple people mentioned it, not to spoil things too much but to get the complaining out of the way now, we decided that Super Mario 3D World would be eligible for this list despite technically coming out a few days too late.

That's just the reason I didn't include it. You guys are fine, and it was understood, at least by me. :)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 09:17:50 PM »
Evil Mario- I'm glad to hear i'm not the only one that likes bumpies party

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 10:21:01 PM »
Leo13, i also have disc version, but i heard impressions that digital version has the same ridiculous loading times.

Also in my experience digital versions on Wii U don't improve loading, like i got W101 digitally, and my loading times look about the same as on disc from what i can tell from videos.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2013, 02:22:14 AM »
Leo13, i also have disc version, but i heard impressions that digital version has the same ridiculous loading times.

Also in my experience digital versions on Wii U don't improve loading, like i got W101 digitally, and my loading times look about the same as on disc from what i can tell from videos.

I don't currently own any Wii U disc games, so my experience is based solely on digital games. However, during my long run with FIFA 13 I did notice significant cuts in load times along with a lot of the system updates.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 04:09:38 PM »
NWR_insanolord

Thanks for the info. I also have almost all digital games (though I wish I could get all, but Wii Party U and Nintendo Land aren't offered digitally so I have those discs)

I will consider the possibility of getting lego city for her although I'm tempted to get the 3DS one for her instead as Best Buy currently has it (and several other games) for $15

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 10:32:52 PM »
I will consider the possibility of getting lego city for her although I'm tempted to get the 3DS one for her instead...
From what i hear 3DS game also has huge loading times. I gather at this point this developer's engine problem.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline KITT 10K

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2013, 04:25:55 PM »
LEGO City Undercover for the Wii U and the 3DS both do have long loading times while the 3DS has less cinematics and you need to read what they're saying at times, BUT that being said I have both versions and love the hell out of them both. I highly recommend getting them both.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2013, 10:47:52 AM »
Lol..I think included eshop I have more than 10 games now.  I think ZombiU should be higher...especially with the bug fix.  So here is my top 5.

5) Nano Assault Neo.  Very fun twin stick shooter.  It's a throw back to the mid 2000s but an enjoyable one.
4) Pikmin 3.  Wonderful co-op and multiplayer.  Too bad its not online.  The single player is pretty fun too.  The only one I completed and 100%ed.
3) ZombiU.  Brilliant use of the system features.  Excellent roguelike qualities and atmosphere.  I don't even like zombies and I love this game.  The multiplayer is really good too.  Again should have had online.
2) SM3DWorld.  Amazing.  It's a great step up from 3D land.  Collecting green stars is actually fun and not tedious.  3D multiplayer.  Still not on par with the 64-Galaxy 2 vein though.
1) TLofZ: WW  One of the best Zeldas made even better.  Fast sail makes exploration as brilliant as it should have been.  My only complaint is the tri force hunt is still not streamlined enough and the dungeons could be gharder.

Offline ResettisCousin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2013, 04:33:25 PM »
Most Wanted U absolutely should have been on here. It's one of the best WiiU ports (IMHO it is the best- I was underwhelmed by Deus Ex). It literally might be the only game of its genre to be released for the WiiU, especially meaningful since the Wii had almost no games of this type either, possibly excluding Driver San Francisco. I'd say Luigi shouldn't have had its own spot, and Bit Trip Runner 2 is nice, but not better than NFSMW U.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2013, 08:01:15 PM »
My ten in no particular order.

New Super Mario Bros U
New Super Luigi U
FIFA 13
Wind Waker HD
Earthbound