Author Topic: Can something be done about the auto-play anti-smoking ads?  (Read 6539 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Can something be done about the auto-play anti-smoking ads?
« on: August 10, 2014, 12:26:20 AM »
Seriously, I have no problem with ads being present on the site, but I take issue with ones that auto-play audio. In just the last 5 minutes of browsing alone, I've had 3-4 of those anti-smoking ads start LOUDLY playing (often echoing because it's playing twice on top of itself) somewhere higher up the page. It's incredibly annoying and the kind of stuff I turn adblock on for on other sites.  I realize the ads have to be there, but can you do something about the auto-play ones with audio?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:30:00 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Can something be done about the auto-play anti-smoking ads?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 12:28:24 AM »
I don't think they can really control the ads that display.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 01:11:27 AM »
Broodwars, we'll look into this. Often the ads served are region-based, which makes it tough to reproduce the offending ad and track down.

Have you encountered any ads doing this aside from the anti-smoking ads?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:15:46 AM by TheYoungerPlumber »
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 01:22:25 AM »
Broodwars, we'll look into this. Often the ads served are region-based, which makes it tough to reproduce the offending ad and track down.

Have you encountered any ads doing this aside from the anti-smoking ads?

I've only noticed the anti-smoking ad doing audio, though we've had motion ads pop up in the forums in the past.  Off the top of my head, I can't remember what they were for.

Thanks for looking into it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 10:15:41 PM »
This place has ads?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 10:46:27 PM »
We actually discuss this on NFR 41 if memory Serves.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 02:37:18 PM »
Still can't be as bad as the ones I had for a while.

And by for a while I mean until last week.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 09:49:58 PM »
I'm getting inundated with these stupid audio playing video block ads.

The ads are playing in a JWplayer from AdXChange. They select the ad with the AdChoice program. Can we get rid of the talking? I can deal with the video playing, but mute the friggin' thing.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:54:34 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 01:36:29 AM »
Thanks, by the way, to whoever fixed the audio ad issues a few months back. I will credit Megabyte.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 07:33:06 AM »
The ads I get when I browse the forums on my phone (which is 95% of the time) automatically open the App Store. While annoying, this would be fine except that in the last few weeks, it started opening a blank page and the address bar says "tracking.[somethingsomething]." I got several of those ads just trying to post this and one of them at least is tracking.crobo.com. When I try to go back to the previous page, it often opens the App Store and the blank page again until I just go back to the forum home page and try going back to the page I was originally on that way then it's hit or miss whether the App Store/blank page open again.

I didn't want to say anything because I realize websites need money to operate which they typically get from ads, and I know I'm not going to donate if it came down to that. I'm not bemoaning the need for the ads themselves, but the older ones were far less intrusive. Before this current crop, there were ads in between blocks of posts, the banner ads towards the top of the page that didn't also open to that game on the App Store (the ad changes but currently, it's the Kim Kardashian game which is doubly insulting), or the ads that appeared at the bottom that you had to click the extremely tiny X to dismiss. I didn't really mind the first two. The third was kind of a pain to deal with because I'd slighly miss the X and be taken to some page selling me things. The App Store/blank page ads are the worst and whoever invented that style of ad should be punched in the dick repeatedly. It looks like they're tracking how many times people check out their game on the App Store, but that's light speed flawed since no one is choosing to do so on their own volition.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:36:30 AM by Adrock »