Author Topic: Cell phone discussion  (Read 65653 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Cell phone discussion
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2020, 06:51:18 PM »
The Pro1 is kind of something you have to tinker with to get the best experience from it. The Official Fxtec Pro1 Discord community has been really good at getting things going on that front.

It's biggest pitfall imo is the camera app but that can be resolved by replacing it with either Open Camera on the playstore or a port of the Google Pixel camera app, which use the phone's CPU to run fancy image processing stuff on the fly and enhance the image. Unfortunately they don't support the shutter button but that can be remapped with an app like Buttons remapper to another function. I personally use it as a dedicated play/pause button and it mostly works, although occasionally it still tries to open that god awful snapdragon camera app.

SwiftKey is this phone's best friend. It gives you that fancy word prediction stuff that you'd expect from a modern smartphone while still letting you use the physical keyboard. It even gives you fancy features like an easy gif support and even a cute little mini web browser and clipboard. I'd advise against signing in though if you're concerned about Microsoft's data farming tendencies. It's also one of the best touch keyboards so it's good for jotting something down or potentially working with apps that don't work well in landscape, although since I installed force landscape that hasn't been an issue.

Gaming with the keyboard can be a bit questionable since the buttons aren't always mapped correctly for games you'd expect to use them and tbh I haven't really cared about it enough to look into a solution.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2020, 12:59:27 PM »
I am so sick of Swiftkey and Gboard.
Can someone PLEASE bring back SWYPE.

It was clearly ahead of the pack when it comes to predictive text and autocorrections, and this was YEARS AGO.
I would almost swear Swype was reading my mind as it knew what I was trying to type, and the auto corrections made sense if I mistyped anything.

Current options constantly put in the wrong word... Lots of times not even close. Randomly adds spaces or extra words (like: be, I, a) while doing a manual type, and what I was typing was no where near those letters.
Autocorrect will sometimes go back and change words after I've manually selected the correction, and I don't notice till I've hit send on a text, because I didn't think I needed to proof read it since I saw the correct word when I first typed it.

It's beyond frustrating. Why would the best in the game, and I think the originator, just up and quit? Why didn't Google buy up their algorithm/code and build it into Android as the default!?

I just want my Swype back.

I can't even get these new ones to recognize me swyping my daughter's name, even though I've selected it numerous times, it's like it doesn't learn.

I need a better option.
Anyone got suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 04:15:00 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2020, 02:45:33 PM »
I'm open to new suggestions as well.  GBoard is getting annoying.  It seems to think I'm typing proper nouns (of people whose name I've never meant to type) pretty frequently.  Also, if I misspell a word, it takes entirely too long to troubleshoot.  The auto-correct seems to emphasize the swipe pattern over the actual spelling, which makes sense, but if I manually type a word and don't spell it correctly, it just lets the word sit as it with no suggestions.  The google search bar being there helps when I have this issue, but there's still a lot left to be desired.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2020, 04:34:30 PM »
Can someone explain to me why you need a super amoled 8k 158hz screen on a phone? This weird techno supremacy on android flagships is really getting out of hand.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2020, 03:05:41 PM »
I got broke my Galaxy S20+ Ultra 5G 512GB 5 weeks ago.
5 weeks ago on the 18th, I put in a claim w/ Asurion.

4 weeks ago, they offered for me to go buy a new S20 Ultra at retail and they'll reimburse me, or wait for a Note 20 Ultra since it was on backorder..... I chose to wait a bit for the upgrade.

I keep receiving failed attempts at automated updates from their automated update system. (it's a garbled message that keeps repeating itself, but never actually delivers an update)
And I haven't been able to actually get their "claim update" page to load so I can see what's goin on.

So today I called in, and they tried to push me a Galaxy S20 128B and close the order....
I of course refused.
All these weeks I've kind of sold myself on the Galaxy Note S20+, so I'm certainly not taking a used lesser cheaper version of a phone I just bought 3.5 months ago, unless it was a place holder till an equivalent showed up.

My old G7 is annoying at best, and a down right pain the ass on it's worse days. I can't deal with it anymore.

So after some back and forth, and getting transferred to some other department, I manage to talk them into the reimbursement towards whatever it is I want. up to the max reimbursement amount.
So *BRAND NEW* Galaxy Note S20+ here I come. Long overdue almost 5 week wait for a new phone.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 11:46:16 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »