Author Topic: 3DS News Channel  (Read 3093 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
3DS News Channel
« on: January 02, 2012, 11:24:30 PM »
So, I turned on my Wii today and had to flip over to my second page of channels.  There, I saw the news channel.

I *never* used this.  It was a neat idea, but if I was in a place to use my Wii, I had internet and news already.  But, it got me to thinking - how about a News Channel for the 3DS?  It could use Spot Pass to deliver updates to your 3DS whenever it has a connection and allow you to read the new articles whenever you have time - even without an internet connection.

Obviously, this isn't likely to have breaking stories or such, but if AP or Reuters could get on board, this could be pretty spiffy.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS News Channel
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 12:40:32 AM »
This is actually a pretty good idea. Way back when Wii first released, I actually used the News Channel daily for a few months and it was cool as I never checked news live or online.  Of course, it eventually got worked out of my routine but to have a 3DS version would be brilliant because I actually DO carry my 3DS everywhere and use it daily.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 08:36:09 AM »
Agree that this is a brilliant idea.
NNID: ejamer

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 12:36:04 AM »
While we're at it, how bout a friggin Twitter channel?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 10:26:44 AM »
While we're at it, how bout a friggin Twitter channel?

Why? The internet app on 3DS works great with Twitter and TwitPic, and by not making it a channel you can stop and check twitter feeds in the middle of your gaming sessions without any problems...  Not seeing the benefit of this one.

(You could probably say the same thing about a News Channel though. I'd rather have News be a channel though. That way the formatting would be optimized for 3DS, and news articles would be downloaded in the background so that I could read later - even if I don't have internet access when opening up the channel.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:28:38 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline cflo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 03:22:23 PM »
I'd like to see the Check Mii Out and Everybody Votes channels moved to the 3DS; it seems like they would be more convenient and interesting in a portable form, not to mention potential StreetPass functionality.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 08:48:55 PM »
I checked out the News Channel once when I first got a Wii, just to see what it was all about. That's the only time I ever used it. It seems like a much better idea for the 3DS, with SpotPass and all, since if you're at home then chances are, you have better news places at your disposal (including TV).

Offline bhurak

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 09:38:13 AM »
News would be great - the more configurable the better.   Definitely needs to be available offline.  Something like subscribing to RSS feeds (with the articles) would be ideal.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 04:31:34 PM »
Reading the stories offline would be what would make this a great app. Otherwise it wouldn't be better than what you can find on phones.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline xcwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 12:59:39 AM »
I used this a bit in the first 6 months of the Wii, but stopped after that. It might be useful if Nintendo let the right stories get through. If they could do it for a low cost, maybe it would be worth it.

I'd rather them put time into stuff like a Find Mii 3, Swapnotes update, etc. You know, the things we are all using.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior