Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1590667 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1950 on: January 13, 2012, 06:25:26 PM »
The GameCube launch lineup was amazing if you count games that came out two weeks after the hardware as launch games. Accepting that, there were at least five games in that lineup still worth playing to this day.

The problem is though, only games available on launch day are launch games. Even coming out 1 day later means it is not a launch game. The GameCube still had a good launch lineup though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: January 13, 2012, 06:36:21 PM »
I've heard people say the Dreamcast had a good launch lineup. I personally never owned or played a Dreamcast though, so I have no opinion of my own on that.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1952 on: January 13, 2012, 06:39:57 PM »
Sonic Adventure was a really good game, and I only played a store demo but Soulcalibur was a great fighting game. Never played any other Dreamcast launch game though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: January 13, 2012, 06:48:21 PM »
I think Crazy Taxi was another Dreamcast launch title. I heard that's supposed to be good, and it spawned like 3 sequels so it probably is.
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1954 on: January 13, 2012, 07:31:33 PM »
Crazy Taxi was awesome but was more launch window than at launch. Power Stone was at launch which is possibly my favorite fighting game.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: January 13, 2012, 07:34:04 PM »
Well the American launch lineup for the Dreamcast was pretty good, of course it helps that the Dreamcast was launched in America almost a year after its Japanese launch which helped Sega have a good lineup ready.  If Nintendo would have launched the Gamecube or Wii a year after their Japanese releases they could have had much better lineups as well.

For the Wii U, it'll probably have a port of all major third party games that come out next fall so it'll have a good supply of third party games at least.  From Nintendo though, a new Wii Sports I'd imagine is guaranteed.  After that I'd bank my money on either New Super Mario Bros Mii has a full game or a sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns.  Pikmin 3 could also be a launch title but I wouldn't bet any money sense no one even knows how far in development it is.  Yeah Miyamoto first said they were working on a new Pikmin at E3 2008, but for all we know the game could be in development hell like Kirby was for 7 years.  I'd just put Pikmin as a wildcard for now.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: January 13, 2012, 07:45:25 PM »
Pikmin 3 has been in development for quite awhile as a Wii game before it was cancelled and diverted to the Wii U. I don't know how much of that old Wii code is being retained, but if a lot of it is then that could mean the game is very far along and will be ready for launch. If its being more or less rewritten completely from scratch, then it will probably not be ready for awhile longer. A lot of it probably depends on how much Nintendo wants to push the graphical envelope with it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:47:06 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: January 13, 2012, 08:47:32 PM »
The GameCube launch lineup was amazing if you count games that came out two weeks after the hardware as launch games. Accepting that, there were at least five games in that lineup still worth playing to this day.

The problem is though, only games available on launch day are launch games. Even coming out 1 day later means it is not a launch game. The GameCube still had a good launch lineup though.
It depends on how you define it. By the strictest definition what you said is correct, but there are other ways to look at it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: January 13, 2012, 08:55:04 PM »
Pikmin 3 has been in development for quite awhile as a Wii game before it was cancelled and diverted to the Wii U. I don't know how much of that old Wii code is being retained, but if a lot of it is then that could mean the game is very far along and will be ready for launch. If its being more or less rewritten completely from scratch, then it will probably not be ready for awhile longer. A lot of it probably depends on how much Nintendo wants to push the graphical envelope with it.

Pikmin 3 and a new Mario Paint game will most likely be the killer app for the Wii U launch. I just hope that F-Zero and Star Fox are there on laucnh day as well.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: January 13, 2012, 08:58:13 PM »
I don't own either a 360 or a ps3. This'll be the best launch ever for me if even half of the speculated third party ports are true.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1960 on: January 13, 2012, 09:10:35 PM »
Asking for Pikmin 3, F-Zero AND Star Fox all at launch is kind of a lot. We know we're getting NSMBMii, so one other big title would suffice. I'd love to see all those in the launch window, but it's unrealistic. Going from what Bill said, I think a perfect launch would be one good, single player core title, a fun multiplayer game and something that calls the attention from casuals that you can show off to them. Hopefully, we'll get something that showcases the online in that mix as well.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: January 13, 2012, 10:04:37 PM »
I don't own either a 360 or a ps3. This'll be the best launch ever for me if even half of the speculated third party ports are true.

Well we know Batman: Arkham City will be there at launch so any Nintendo fans who don't own a 360 or PS3 will have at least one AAA must have title to buy at launch.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1962 on: January 13, 2012, 11:00:30 PM »
Did Warner Bros. Interactive say it would be a launch game? I don't recall.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: January 14, 2012, 12:07:24 AM »
Did Warner Bros. Interactive say it would be a launch game? I don't recall.

They haven't said anything but since the game is currently out for the HD systems I don't see why a Wii U port wouldn't be ready for the Wii U launch.  Knowing the way third parties work, the Wii U version will probably be  the current HD games with minor enhanced graphics and some of the DLC unlocked from the start.  Something like this could easily be ready for launch.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: January 14, 2012, 12:22:25 AM »
Ninja Gaiden 3 has been confirmed to be a launch title as well. What I am really hoping for is that GTA V is announced at E3 as having a october 2012 launch and it ends being a launch title for the Wii U a few months later. How colossul would that be?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: January 14, 2012, 01:10:49 AM »
Ninja Gaiden 3 has been confirmed to be a launch title as well. What I am really hoping for is that GTA V is announced at E3 as having a october 2012 launch and it ends being a launch title for the Wii U a few months later. How colossul would that be?

Considering the Gamecube and Wii never got a GTA, for the Wii U to have GTA V right at launch would definitely be a big deal.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: January 14, 2012, 01:25:45 AM »

Considering the Gamecube and Wii never got a GTA, for the Wii U to have GTA V right at launch would definitely be a big deal.

There was an article posted on the internet that stated that Take Two would release GTA V in its 2012 fiscal year due to low stock prices. The GTA games have traditionally released in october (with a few exceptions) and from what I saw of that video it could already be done, or pretty close to it by the fall of this year. I said it before, but if Nintendo really wants to attract third party developers and prove to the industry that they have what it takes then they need GTA on their home console and what better to do that then have it as a launch title?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: January 14, 2012, 05:53:26 AM »
There is a huge backlog of HD 3rd party games dating back 6-7 years of games which released for PS3 and/or 360 which never made it to the Wii, so why can't 3rd parties take this huge catalog of I guess hundreds of games and then bring them over to the Wii U?
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: January 14, 2012, 10:37:15 AM »
There is a huge backlog of HD 3rd party games dating back 6-7 years of games which released for PS3 and/or 360 which never made it to the Wii, so why can't 3rd parties take this huge catalog of I guess hundreds of games and then bring them over to the Wii U?
Because that's financial suicide. Many of those games didn't sell spectacularly on those other consoles and now they're a few years old. Major releases might see ports in collections like we're seeing with Metal Gear and Devil May Cry now. I wouldn't want Wii U to be a port machine anyway.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: January 14, 2012, 11:04:31 AM »
That thought has crossed my mind too, Chozo. I've never owned an HD system before, so there are plenty of games that I haven't played. What I really hope to see are several collections for the Wii U. Perhaps Wii U will get the Metal Gear Solid HD collection, or maybe even Batman: Arkham City will also include Arkham Asylum? It's a long shot, sure, but it's not an impossibility.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: January 14, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »
I wouldn't want Wii U to be a port machine anyway.

I admit that's not ideal, but neither would it be ideal for the Wii U to be a drought machine. Of those two choices I think port machine is the lesser evil if it came down to it.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: January 14, 2012, 11:26:40 AM »
It about the same thing if no one buys ports of a bunch of games that didn't sell that well on PS3 and 360.

I want and expect ports of brand new games. I just don't see the point in porting over anything but the best from the past few years. If people didn't buy game X a few years ago, how many people are going to buy it just because it's on Wii U? Supplying something that no one buys is a waste of everyone's time.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: January 14, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »
It's not worth companies' time to make those ports, though.  I'm sure there will be some, but think about this logically: the Wii U is allegedly (I don't believe anything Reggie says these days) targeting the core gamer.  That would be the same core gamer that likely already got fed-up with the Wii and likely bought one of the other HD consoles.  Where is the financial sense in porting over a 1-6 year-old HD console game for $60 when the audience for that game can just walk into a Gamestop and pick up the original version for $20 or less?

Beyond it just not being good for a new console to be dominated by ports of old games, there's no reason to buy such Wii U-makes if you already own one of the other HD consoles (and the audience Nintendo is allegedly targeting does).  Companies would have to spend precious time and resources developing new features or graphical upgrades just to justify that New Wii U price, and I don't see many developers doing that when most are strapped for resources on their new projects.  Do you?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: January 14, 2012, 12:00:05 PM »
I never hear anyone complaining about formerly Nintendo exclusives getting ported over to the competition, which happened with the recent Goldeneye game and with No More Heroes. Those used to be Wii exclusive, but a couple years later they appeared on the PS360 and yet no one gripes about that. But when someone like me says something on an HD console should come to a Nintendo platform then people come out of the woodwork and shoot it down saying "it won't sell". Maybe that's true, but come to think of it I don't think No More Heroes or Goldeneye have sold particularly well on the HD systems either.

On the other hand, look at RE4 Wii edition which is a port of a game that was on the GC and PS2. This game has sold over a million copies on the Wii alone and is on the list of top 50 selling Wii games. So how could that not be argued a success for Capcom? Granted, not every port is going to sell that well, but this is an example that proves that at least in some cases porting over high profile games can be financially successful.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: January 14, 2012, 12:10:44 PM »
I never hear anyone complaining about formerly Nintendo exclusives getting ported over to the competition, which happened with the recent Goldeneye game and with No More Heroes. Those used to be Wii exclusive, but a couple years later they appeared on the PS360 and yet no one gripes about that.

Once again, those are two different audiences, so there is an opportunity to garner new sales.  The largely-casual audience on the Wii is not the same audience as the largely-core audience on the 360/PS3.  The Wii U's projected largely-core audience and the 360/PS3's largely-core audience overlap, so there's a smaller audience likely to buy ports of games they can already play for cheaper.  And what do those 2 ports you mentioned have in common?  New content, as well as new HD visuals to give people a reason to buy them over the original Wii version, which is what I said needed to be added to such ports.  Also, GoldenEye was only a year old when it was ported.  That's not as bad as your wanting 6-7 year-old HD ports on the Wii U.

On the other hand, look at RE4 Wii edition which is a port of a game that was on the GC and PS2. This game has sold over a million copies on the Wii alone and is on the list of top 50 selling Wii games. So how could that not be argued a success for Capcom? Granted, not every port is going to sell that well, but this is an example that proves that at least in some cases porting over high profile games can be financially successful.

Oh look, another port of an old game with new content (Wii pointer controls and the Ada levels) that justifies owning it on a new console.  In fact, the new content easily makes it the best version of that game still (even with the "HD" version on PSN/XBLA).  But there are very few games out there as evergreen on sales as Resident Evil, so how many ports do you really think would see so much new content to justify their price?  I don't think even Capcom's done another port like RE4 Wii since.

It should also be noted that Nintendo expanded their audience dramatically from the GameCube to the Wii, giving Capcom a much larger base of potential customers to buy a Wii version of RE4.  Nintendo will not expand their audience moving from the Wii to the Wii U.  If anything, that audience will actually shrink unless Nintendo has a console-selling casual title they haven't unveiled yet.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:29:03 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.