Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 611963 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #2225 on: December 27, 2011, 03:26:51 PM »
And as I explained earlier, I didn't hate the game until I thought it was nearly over. Maybe that's the part you find issue with and if so, my only recourse is "because I felt like it" which is pretty much why anyone does anything.

I've played games up till the final boss, then never went back and finished them simply because I wasn't interested... so yeah, this might be part of it.

But, again, not trying to demonize you or anything... I just found it... odd.  You have your reasons, and if that's good enough for you, then it's good enough for me.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2226 on: December 27, 2011, 07:53:07 PM »
I think I got my first game over in the game. The Imprisioned got up to the temple.The second Imprisoned I might add. I couldn't get past his body and by the time I figured out how to get around it  and did some damage to the head it was to late. I will try again later. I think I might have a good idea on what items I should bring to make it easier. Stamina potions and I think that will make a difference.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: December 27, 2011, 10:50:27 PM »
I think I got my first game over in the game. The Imprisioned got up to the temple.The second Imprisoned I might add. I couldn't get past his body and by the time I figured out how to get around it  and did some damage to the head it was to late. I will try again later. I think I might have a good idea on what items I should bring to make it easier. Stamina potions and I think that will make a difference.

Ugh....I hated repeating The Imprisoned battle.  By far my least favorite boss battles.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: December 28, 2011, 01:06:38 AM »
The Imprisoned fights aren't that bad.  Just jump on his head from a higher platform to pound the seal in, it's much quicker and easier then trying to destroy all the toes to knock him over.

I'm surprised more people don't fight the Imprisoned this way when Nintendo themselves showed Link fighting just like that in the first trailer that even showed the Imprisoned fight.  This method makes all the fights pretty easy.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2229 on: December 28, 2011, 01:22:01 AM »
Yeah but if I am not mistaken it is harder to get on its back as you fight it more. Also there is a way to get onto its back by sky diving on to it but I haven't been to successful so far. I am fairly good at it too. I was close one time at beating it but it was on its last toes when it reached the top when I just needed to hit it 3 more times so I stopped for a short while. I'll try that out though Luigi Dude.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: December 28, 2011, 02:39:22 AM »
I finally was able to get started in this game after putting a month into "finishing" Skyrim.  I've only completed the beginning tutorial and opened the first entrance to the surface.  After reading everyone's impressions on here though, I'm almost scared to continue lol. I'm loving the game up to this point but I hope I don't get as agitated with the game as some of you did. 

As for the intro and tutorial section of the game, I think its the best yet out of all the most recent Zelda games.  It did drag a bit and at times I was lost as to where I was supposed to be going but nothing to big.  I actually like this game's Link and Zelda.  Out of all the LoZs, these two seem to have the most chemistry and seem the most natural.  Link, although you don't hear him speak, you can see him talking to various characters during some cut scenes, so you at least get the feel that he is a person and not a completely silent hero.  Zelda is an average girl in this game and not a princess which helps in her having a more down to earth and approachable personality.  You don't sense the class distinctions as before.

As for the quest itself, most here describe it as a fetch quest or shopping list for the goddess.  I haven't started it but just from the sword sequence in the biginning of the game, Fi basically states that I'm going to be an instrument of the goddess along with Zelda.  Link seems hesitant at first to grab the sword and is so until Fi explains things in a manner which relate more to his immediate life.  When Fi tells Link that if he'll like to rescue Zelda he'll have to take the sword and fullfill his destiny he basically runs towards the sword.  Its obvious Link doesn't really care what exactly the goddess has planned for him or what he needs to do, he just knows that if following her instructions will lead to him bringing Zelda back, then so be it.  Its all the more believable now since Link and Zelda have been life long Friends as apposed to some of the other LoZ games where Link just meets her and all of a sudden he's compelled to go to hell and back for this girl. 

Like I said though, I'm only right at the beginning so my mood can change over the course of the game, but as the game has begun, I feel more attached to this Link and Zelda than I ever have to any of the previous versions.  I actually feel compelled to see this story through just to see them reunited again.  Hopefully I can weather some of the rougher portions of the game as I have been known to really lose patience with some games (hell I almost lost my drive to finish Twilight Princess when I played it lol)  I've been carefull in reading posts here as there seems to be spoilers oozing out of every other sentence but I'll pop back in with my progress over the next few weeks.  I need to have this game done and over with as I've just received around 5 other games for Christmass that are on the waiting list as a result of this lol.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2231 on: December 28, 2011, 03:35:55 AM »
Well it isn't agitation for me as it is figuring the best way to do things. As far as Zelda and Link goes I do have to agree they seem the most connected at the begining of the game as opposed to other Zelda games.

I did beat the 2nd Imprisioned though and I caught up on some back story on the game and it is pretty interesting and it does explain some things from other Zelda games but I won't go into it now. I think I will be be able to get through the game if I can figure out things quickly.

So I think I just had a fight with a simi reference to one of the other Zelda games at least what I was riding on while fighting the enemy. I was kinda expecting this kinda fight but I thought it would be with another foe. It was a nice mix on this type of fight.

Anyway it seems like I am coming on to the Song of Heroes portion of the game and judging by the comments it seems like mot people had the most issues with this portion of the game. Alo if I am not mitaken the glich is in this part of the game but if I go in a certain order in the areas I shouldn't encounter it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 08:28:57 AM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2232 on: December 28, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
The Imprisoned fights aren't that bad.  Just jump on his head from a higher platform to pound the seal in, it's much quicker and easier then trying to destroy all the toes to knock him over.

I'm surprised more people don't fight the Imprisoned this way when Nintendo themselves showed Link fighting just like that in the first trailer that even showed the Imprisoned fight.  This method makes all the fights pretty easy.

I didn't think of that at ALL and I had stopped watching trailers. >.<
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2233 on: December 28, 2011, 10:31:59 PM »
Yeah I had been avoiding all of the details and videos leading up to the release of the game so I may have had to figure things out for myself.

I just got all the Hero songs and I really don't see the issue everyone had with them. They are pretty different from each other so I like that aspect of it. I liked the fire song porton the best. I also liked the 3rd Imprisoned the best out of all of them. I think I am going to stick with the shield I have unless I run into a snag at the end of the game in which I need it but I don't think I will.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: December 29, 2011, 02:28:28 AM »
I just finished this game a few minutes ago. The fight with Girahim was much more entertaining than the fight with Kratos Demise but I like how the "legend of groose Zelda" ending up falling into place, because I wasn't really expecting Nintendo to even bother tying the story with the other games (I didnt catch the hype train so i didnt follow the game before release)

I feel as if this game should have been around 25 hours long, and I would have been quite satisfied if that were the case. However in the end it seems like Nintendo took some queues from Rare, and collecting musical notes is a little too close for comfort if you ask me. However zelda always had filler, the main difference here and the reason why I think we've seen many people (including myself) complain about filler is the fact that Skyward Sword takes very little effort to disguise it, doesn't  make the player feel purpose in going through it and becomes a grind because of it.

Due to the filler, this game becomes boring with spikes of brilliance. The Dungeons are very well designed and might be my favourite of the 3-d Zeldas, the motion controls are very responsive and might be the only game aside from Zack and wiki where the use of the wiimote genuinely enhances the gameplay. The boss fights are as exhilarating as they've ever been because of both the use of wii motion plus and treating the boss fights as straight up fights instead of showpieces for your newest item. The puzzles are also a refreshing departure from what we're used to, the use of the timeshift stones especially so.

While the motion controls were excellent as a zelda game I was left dissapointed. It didn't live up to the level of quality gameplay I expect from zelda, However when compared to regular games it was still quite good.

7/10

Obviously I'm not a professional reviewer but i cant help but give a score.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:17:50 PM by Lithium »

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #2235 on: December 30, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
I had an incident while I was away on a trip over Christmas and my cover to Skyward Sword was damaged, I had to throw it out. I did an image search on Google and Bing and wasn't able to find a decent sized scan of the cover. Could someone do a high res scan of it for me? I'll either send an email address it can be sent to or provide an FTP access in a pm.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2236 on: December 30, 2011, 10:43:33 PM »
Just finished up the game. I didn't really do any thing with the Thunder Dragon and his boss rush so I just had the 3rd shield for the final bosses. I gotta let the game sink in more to decide if this is my favorite Zelda game over LTTP. For now I gotta give it a 9 if I were to score it based on the slow start and some minor things which could be improved. There was a bit much dialog when you messed up with something like the imprisoned battles. I liked the flying but there would be one minor thing which I think would make it better. If they had it so that you held the A button you could boost until you let go of the button. The other way to fix it would have been to have more of those boost rocks in the sky. Those were really only my issues with the game but in the scheme of things they really didn't make me dislike the game. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: January 05, 2012, 08:40:13 PM »
Here are a couple of questions about the Save Data Update Channel:

1. Is it just me, or does the music at the startup sound like something out of Animal Crossing?
2. I noticed the fine print says that if you remove your Shop Channel account, the save data will also be deleted. Does this mean that the save file will become uncopyable if you update?

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: January 05, 2012, 09:54:29 PM »
I just got to the desert and I was surprised by the time-shift stones. 
I can't think of a series that has more thoroughly mined a concept (time travel) yet still managed to come up with such a fresh way to approach it.

It seems like I barely have any items that enemies drop.  I managed to upgrade my wooden shield once (since burned away) but I haven't been able to get the monster parts for any more upgrades.

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: January 05, 2012, 11:32:17 PM »
I just finished that desert part and I too was surprised by the time traveling touch.  I thought it was very creative especially how it is worked into the dungeons and puzzles.  So far so good for me with this game.  I'm in love with it and couldn't put it down today.  I turned it on with the thought of playing for 1 hr and trying to make some progress in opening the desert dungeon and ended up putting in a couple extra hours in and finishing the dungeon itself.  I don't think any other Zelda game has gripped my attention so much as this one.

Offline evolution4life

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: January 06, 2012, 10:59:59 AM »
I still haven't picked this up but when I do in the next month or so I fancy getting the limited edition with gold wii remote plus. So I'm just wondered exactly how "limited" is the limited edition? Is it likely to still be available in a few months?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2241 on: January 06, 2012, 04:22:41 PM »
A few months? Maybe. I still see some on shelves when I go shopping, but I'd act fast, if I were you. I don't think they'll mark the price down any time soon.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: January 06, 2012, 09:06:06 PM »
I don't think that the Wiimote edition is still being produced, and it is sold out in most places online. It might be a different story in the UK, but it's already pretty scarce here in North America. Unless you're keen on paying double the price, I wouldn't count on finding the bundle in a couple of months.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: January 06, 2012, 11:05:18 PM »
I bought the game about a week ago and have now beat the first boss, Ghirahim. It took me a while to get used to the motion controls after pressing buttons throughout the series. Overall, the game seems to have great potential, but it is not the ground breaker that I thought it would be. Not that this is a bad thing, but I hold a new Zelda game to high standard and then scrutinize it to its full when I get to play it.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #2244 on: January 09, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »
Still playing this. I got sidetracked due to 3d mario kart land, but I've been putting in good time the past couple of days. I'm up to the glitchy part of the game and I'm about to save and relax for a bit before I get into that ordeal.
The game so far is fine, but I really feel like an errand boy in this game. It's get three of these here and go stop that over there and find this for me and all I want to do is hack and slash to victory. The past dungeon designs have been great and the environments have been fantastic, but the supporting characters feel watered down, but even so they still retain their own individuality. Swordplay and controls have been great, item switching is top notch and flying is fine. I really can't complain because I'm having a ton of fun, but the step and fetch feels like chores more than adventuring. If I wanted that I can go talk to Tom Nook instead. Does anyone know where I can find Bee Larvae?
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: January 09, 2012, 07:48:49 PM »
Use the Beetle to cut down any beehive. When it lands, it breaks and you can just pick it up. Also, I was well over half-way through the game before I realized that you can catch the bees with the net. I didn't really use potions.

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: January 09, 2012, 09:25:54 PM »
I just finished the first silent realm and about to work my way into a new dungeon.  I hate timed portions in games so I can already see I'm going to dread these areas if the game.  What really pisses new off is that there shouldn't be any stamina bars in these areas for obvious reasons. 

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: January 10, 2012, 05:27:18 AM »
Well, if you could just outrun any of the Sirens there wouldn't be any sense of impending doom.  The sections are about using your previous knowledge about each environment to quickly traverse them and efficiently fill up your Spirit Vessel.  You have to plan ahead, deciding which tears to take and which to save for your return trip back out...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2248 on: January 10, 2012, 09:08:49 AM »
Yeah I actually liked the Sprit realms thinking back on them now. You can actually out run some of them but not others. You have to use your smarts to traverse the area so they don't trap you. The game does give you enough time to plan out where to go next once you find one of the tears and if you keep a eye out for those things that show where the tears are finding them shouldn't be to bad. Also I used the beacons on some of the spirit realms to keep track of the tears if you have to head back to the safe area for some reason.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: January 18, 2012, 09:34:10 PM »
I finally got around to finishing the game last night and I must say, this was, in my eyes, THE best Zelda by far.  I really enjoyed the whole experience from beginning to end.  I was really worried coming into this game too given all the mixed opinions I've read on these and other forums and my waning enthusiasm for the Zelda series.  Now, I've always been a huge Zelda fan and have played them all but after Ocarina of Time, I enjoyed each successive Zelda less and less.  It almost became a point of just playing each new release out of a strange feeling of duty as a Nintendo fan.  I finished most of them but I never felt the drive to actually finish them, the longer the game went on, the more I had to push myself to continue. 

This Zelda really caught me by surprise.  I think what really caught my attention and rejuvenated my enthusiasm was the story and characters.  There is actually a palpable connection between Zelda and Link.  The side characters were memorable and actually funny for once (the repair robot was classic lol).  The main villains in this game really lived up to their roles and personalities.  Their final forms were some of the best looking models I've seen in this series.  The final boss turned out looking like a major bad ass. He was a solid mix of Akuma, Goku at Super Saiyan 4, and Ganon.  As for the other aspects, the game play was solid all around.  I had very little issues with the control and most my deaths and frustrations were a result of me trying to rush through something.  The world provided so much to do and there was very little unused space (with the exception of the sky portions).  I know allot of people complained about all the back tracking but I never minded it.  I think it helped in creating the illusion of a very living world.  Seeing places change made me feel as if time was actually passing. 

All in all, I have very little to complain about with this game.  I think it has really raised the bar for the series and I can't wait to see where the series go especially on the WiiU given the extra horsepower. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:28:24 PM by Mannypon »