Author Topic: Sonic Team cares not for Sonic.  (Read 10678 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Sonic Team cares not for Sonic.
« on: January 16, 2009, 07:51:25 PM »
Take a look at this article.
 http://www.tssznews.com/2009/01/05/the-blog-sega-doesnt-want-you-to-read/

No wonder Sonic games come out so often and stink like there is no tomorrow. Sonic Team is board, and just doesn't care any more. And to think, Knights was going to be on 360, but had a year to make a turn around on Wii, no wonder it stunk up the joint.

I feel sorry for the entire crew, and now I truely have no hope for Sonic games. Watch the Black Knight game be THE game to own this year, hahaha.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Team cares not for Sonic.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 08:45:54 PM »
Did anyone else really care for Sonic at this point though? I liked SH2 and 3 when i was a kid (though it never held a candle to anything i had on my SNES) but then **** like Sonic 3d-Blast and Sonic CD turned me off to the series. Good thing too after seeing the crap thats been put out for it in the past few years.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:05:49 PM »
I wanted to.  I really did.  But it's like being in a bad relationship.  You love the person that they WERE, but not what they are now.  You see them try, but not put in any effort.  Then they stop caring.  Then you stop caring.  Then your relationship slowly dies, and you're forced to break it off.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 10:15:35 PM »
You stop caring twice?

You forgot the part where you cheat on them with their younger, more open and xtreme sibling cuz she likes to shoot guns n ****. Then you realize how wrong you were, not for cheating but for cheating with something even MORE horrible.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 10:56:47 PM »
NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams had what it took to be great, but everyone knew it was rushed. It might have worked better on the 360 and PS3 due to the rounded control stick, but considering how stupid the design was in JoD, I wonder if people would bother with it if it was a 360/PS3 game.

And releasing it during the period of Mario Galaxy's release? Stupidest move ever.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 11:29:57 PM »
Let capcom develop the next sonic game and have Sega just publish it.  Capcom's batting average is pretty high.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 11:41:26 PM »
In all fairness, the Sonic games post "Secret Rings" have been pretty good.

But I do believe Sonic Team needs to take a break from making yearly Sonic games and concentrate on making ONE good effort. You know, like Nintendo does it.

As much as I enjoyed Unleashed they do need to focus on Sonic and JUST Sonic.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Gylldas

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 12:09:40 AM »
Wow.  Reading this and looking back at the old Sonic X-treme dilemma on the Saturn really shines a bad light on sega.  Seems after Sonic CD being a sonic team developer has been pure hell.
Wii #: 4257-3057-1441-3307   MKart: 2578-3513-8937
Brawl: 4468-0638-0667           City Folk: 4296-6475-9060(Mike/Seacrest)

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 04:36:45 PM »

But I do believe Sonic Team needs to take a break from making yearly Sonic games and concentrate on making ONE good effort. You know, like Nintendo does it.

I agree Sonic Team should definitely take a break from the yearly Sonic releases and......wait a minute did u just say you enjoyed Sonic Unleashed!?  Na you obviously meant Star Wars the Force Unleashed.......oh wait that was terrible too....ah I know it must've been Jaws Unleashed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDkqZ9px-Dc  ;D

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 10:11:35 PM »
Wow.  Reading this and looking back at the old Sonic X-treme dilemma on the Saturn really shines a bad light on sega of Japan.  Seems after Sonic CD being a sonic team developer has been pure hell.
No, no. It became pure hell supposedly after Yuji Naka didn't want any non-Japanese people at STi developing Sonic 3. Also, the game was also rushed to. Why else would they release Sonic and Knuckles? Simple, Sonic 3 was not complete. Without Knuckles, Sonic 3 is just the ying without the yang.

Added the true fact to your post.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 10:50:09 PM »
Jaws Unleashed you play as the Shark?  That is just WRONG!!!

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 11:25:05 PM »
It might really suck to be the “Game Evaluator” guy at Sonic Team. He probably wrote up so many reports about games not being good enough, complete with his suggestions to fix them, which were then completely ignored.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 11:28:15 PM »
Jaws Unleashed you play as the Shark?  That is just WRONG!!!

It was so much fun.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 12:02:40 AM »

I agree Sonic Team should definitely take a break from the yearly Sonic releases and......wait a minute did u just say you enjoyed Sonic Unleashed!?  Na you obviously meant Star Wars the Force Unleashed.......oh wait that was terrible too....ah I know it must've been Jaws Unleashed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDkqZ9px-Dc  ;D

Yes,  I enjoyed "Sonic Unleashed".

In my honest opinion, "Unleashed" is not as bad as people make it out to be. Maybe its because I never expected "Unleashed" to be the one game that saved the entire franchise, but compared to the games that came after Sonic Adventure 2 its quite polished and shows that Sonic Team understands to a certain degree what it takes to get it right.

I do agree, however, that there are too many werehog levels and there's no real balance between the two gameplay levels. First, its as if the daytime stages actually play second fiddle to the werehog levels. It should have been the other way around. Second, the daytime levels seem to last shorter than the werehog levels. Again, no real balance. Finally, the story progression is quite slow.

But still, its a much polished effort that proves that Sonic Team can do a solid 3D Sonic. Its just that they still can't let go of some annoying tendencies, like gimmicks and extra characters.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 01:06:00 AM »
It might really suck to be the “Game Evaluator” guy at Sonic Team. He probably wrote up so many reports about games not being good enough, complete with his suggestions to fix them, which were then completely rejected.

*fixed

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 04:53:15 AM »
From what I heard the werehog levels were filler to pad the game time because they felt the game was too short. No surprise they're taking more time. Sonic moves fast so he can burn through levels pretty quickly. That approach doesn't transfer well to core gaming since core games are expected to have constant progression and a long playtime. Sonic is only feasible an arcade-style game because only without constant progression can the game be filled with enough content. Besides, alternative routes through levels aren't very useful when levels are finish-and-forget anyway.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 07:29:26 AM »
So KDR would it be a better experience if it was a 5-10 hour WiiWare game rather than a 10-15 full-priced retail game?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 09:09:17 AM »
Sonic should be a pure racing game were you earn cash to build up his shoes. Rear perspective only. Bring back the art style of the levels in the Genesis games too.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 10:03:19 AM »
So KDR would it be a better experience if it was a 5-10 hour WiiWare game rather than a 10-15 full-priced retail game?

Well, people complained that the werehog levels sucked but the regular levels were good... An interview estimated the length at 3 hours or less for only regular levels. I don't think it'd fit on WiiWare but it could probably have been changed to use the classic structure (i.e. you start at the beginning every time and game over means game over, of course 3 hours would still be pretty long then) and then be sold at retail, no idea how well that would be received by the hardcore market though.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 02:23:14 PM »
It doesn't really matter cuz the non-casual market doesn't drive Sonic's sales.  Kids do.

Sega doesn't need to worry about catering to the minority.

=D
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 03:11:59 PM »
Aren't kids core?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 04:27:18 PM »
Kids are non-casual casuals.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 12:03:45 AM »
Sonic used to be Mario with speed and attitude; now it's just Mario with significantly less polish and horrible cameras. And I don't mind all the extra characters, but they're never imbued with enough personality to make them or their world interesting. If people didn't have such fond memories of the old Genesis games, the current Sonic games would bomb terribly, as the core experiences are consistently mediocre. It's like Sonic games pre-'99 and post-'99 were done by completely different companies.

I'd like it if they just finished/remade Sonic X-Treme. 2 1/2-D seems the way to go for the franchise.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 12:13:30 PM »
Quote from: NinGurl69 *huggles
Kids are non-casual casuals.
This is the greatest answer I've ever read.

Quote from: Mikintosh
Sonic used to be Mario with speed and attitude; now it's just Mario with significantly less polish and horrible cameras.
And horrible stories.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 01:58:57 PM »
What's interesting is Sonic could get really good again and I would never notice.  I don't even pay attention to the series anymore.  For all I know I would like the "bad" Sonic games.  I don't know even know what they play like.  I just thought Sonic Adventure 2 was decent but flawed with it's stupid non-Sonic parts and was in a "well let's see if they come back from this" mood.  Then Sonic Heroes came out and got creamed in the reviews and I figured "I guess they couldn't" and I haven't played a Sonic game since.