Author Topic: Circuit City to liquidate assets starting Saturday  (Read 24042 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Circuit City to liquidate assets starting Saturday
« on: January 16, 2009, 12:30:46 PM »
I know how some of you usually go on buying some specific games for gift cards. Since Circuit City will start liquidating because they can't find a buyer.

So if you have any gift cards from Circuit City it's a good idea to cash them in now before they become worthless.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Circuit City to liquidate assets starting Saturday
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 01:08:56 PM »
why can't they wait until I get my Tax Return or Economic Stimulus check. oh well. It's not like I have time to play any games. Maybe whenever I get some tax money in I'll be able to afford a new hd tv . who knows.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »
The electronics/computer market is a tough field with little profit.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 02:53:26 PM »
CONSUMER electronics/computer market is a tough field. BUSINESS electronics/computer market is a tough field with HUGE profits.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 03:03:23 PM »
My biggest concern is that the Circuit City down the street from my office will be a (worse) giant eyesore.  I've never liked Circuit City.  The store layout makes no sense, nobody's ever manning the cash registers, and their stupid security system beeps at the card key in my wallet every time I walk in or out.  I can walk there from where I work, so it's not like they had to do much to get my business, but they still screwed it up.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 03:08:50 PM »
Ya. Circuit was generally overpriced, small, and like you said, had a really stupid layout. Considering that in my town, CC is right next to Best Buy, it wasn't hard to see how they were losing money.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 03:39:52 PM »
The only person ever in their proper station was the security guard, and even they never did anything because everyone would beep and they'd smile and wave at you goodbye..

Still.. if i could find something decent at a liquidated price, I'll have to at least check it out. Couldn't hurt.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 03:43:54 PM »
The one thing I could count on Circuit City with was to have a greater chance of having older, more obscure titles still in stock...Other than that, I've always been a Best Buy person...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 03:51:45 PM »
Almost picked up SSX Blur for 10 bucks at CC.. decided against it.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 04:26:31 PM »
The one thing I could count on Circuit City with was to have a greater chance of having older, more obscure titles still in stock.

That's just more proof that no one shopped there.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 05:02:21 PM »
Woolworths went bust in November, which itself caused Zavvi to go bust in December. Both of which were offerring SUBSTANTIAL DISCOUNTS on everything including consoles. Until you realised they increased the price back up to RRP and then applied discount meaning it was more expensive than to start with.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 05:53:21 PM »
Not a big surprise considering they have been having trouble for a couple of years now. At least my favorite, Best Buy, is still around.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 06:33:36 PM »
Who's left out of the chains?
Best Buy and Frys?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 10:18:33 PM »
what are the chances of getting RB2 (wii; disc only) for less than msrp?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 02:10:54 AM »
Probably pretty good as we get closer to March.  The discounts won't really kick in 'til February, when they start to get desperate in their bid to clean out warehouses. 
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 07:22:42 AM »
Woolworths went bust in November, which itself caused Zavvi to go bust in December. Both of which were offerring SUBSTANTIAL DISCOUNTS on everything including consoles. Until you realised they increased the price back up to RRP and then applied discount meaning it was more expensive than to start with.

That's why our courts have decided that you cannot advertise a "discount" if the "original price" isn't what you actually sold it at (and you have to sell at it for a certain time period before it's considered valid).

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 01:26:36 PM »
Probably pretty good as we get closer to March.  The discounts won't really kick in 'til February, when they start to get desperate in their bid to clean out warehouses. 

ugh that means repeat trips to check in on their inventory. i have nothing better to do so I'll check this out today and see what i can find.. don't see myself buying anything  though. I'll report back my findings but dont expect anything in depth, its not like i plan on coming home with an hdtv or something

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 01:34:06 PM »
It's interesting, the former Circuit City CEO said that 10 years back, CC didn't take Best Buy seriously as a competitor.  Best Buy just did everything better in the long run, like marketing, all the Geek Squad stuff, their stores are always nice and clean and well laid-out, they have some good prices, their Rewards Zone stuff is a great idea, and they have a really nice website.  CC was always second-tier in all of these areas, and they were just never really on the ball.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 03:48:58 PM »
They just built a new Circuit City here before the PS3 and Wii came out (moved from about a 1/2 mile down the street)...way to go. Oh well, time to go get some cheap stuff (preferably mobile DVD/GPS).
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 11:32:49 PM »
It's interesting, the former Circuit City CEO said that 10 years back, CC didn't take Best Buy seriously as a competitor.  Best Buy just did everything better in the long run, like marketing, all the Geek Squad stuff, their stores are always nice and clean and well laid-out, they have some good prices, their Rewards Zone stuff is a great idea, and they have a really nice website.  CC was always second-tier in all of these areas, and they were just never really on the ball.

I actually like my local Best Buy quite a bit. Though like any store there are some bad ones, there is one by where I work that is TERRIBLE, it isn't that clean, everything is scrunched together in what appears to be builing that was once used for something else. To top it off the employees could care less if you need help, they'll just ignore you while the one by where I live they are great and very helpful.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 12:30:15 AM »
I actually like my local Best Buy quite a bit. Though like any store there are some bad ones, there is one by where I work that is TERRIBLE, it isn't that clean, everything is scrunched together in what appears to be builing that was once used for something else. To top it off the employees could care less if you need help, they'll just ignore you while the one by where I live they are great and very helpful.

I think it really depends on the area.  I live right near a mall, so the Best Buy next to the mall is one of the biggest in the city.  It's always busy so it's always kept in tip-top shape (and the sales associates do everything but wipe your butt on the way in the door).
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 08:02:36 PM »
Well it's official all the stores and assets are now in possession of the liquidators have fun with the sales. All extended warranties are still valid and will be handled by another company and all gift cards are valid until everything is gone or March.

Right now games are 10% off and movies are 20% off.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 08:19:03 PM »
I might start checking every week. I'll let you guys know what I find. I'd like to pick up a new receiver, an external hard-drive, and some old GC and DS games.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 10:47:49 PM »
good luck with that. The only GC games mine has are crap titles or ones i already have. As far as games being 10% off, i'll keep checking pack from time to time to see if they get any lower. Knowing the one closest too me, associates won't bother restocking things from the back, so i might just luck out when they do (ie when the shelves are bare and their managers ride their ass to get product out)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 09:44:39 AM »
All gaming accessories are 30% off right now, games just 10%.  But if you're in need of a controller, headset, or cables now is the time.  I nabbed one of the last few PS3 controllers and new Sony headset and saved 50 bones.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....