Author Topic: Marketing tips 101--previews work  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Marketing tips 101--previews work
« on: May 12, 2011, 01:54:25 AM »
Ever wonder why most video games don't have trailers of other video games?  Doesn't make any sense to me.Take your average WII game file which is 3GB or so, that leaves 1.5GB of unused space?  Why not fill it up?  It's 100% free  and a great way to market your game.   

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Marketing tips 101--previews work
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 02:00:15 AM »
I've seen a few games advertise other games (such as recently when I played Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and there was a trailer for Fracture on it, another LucasArts game), but it is pretty uncommon outside of yearly installments like EA's sports titles.  I think it has to do with the fact that these games all start and finish at different times than each other, so it's difficult to have a marketable trailer or demo on a game in progress ready to go when an earlier game ships.  To be honest, though, if I see trailers in the "Extras" section of a game menu, I usually just ignore them.  I have GameTrailers.com for my preview needs.  A demo would be a different story, but that's very rare and I only know of a few games that have done it (such as the legendarily awful [though in hindsight fitting] demo of FF XII that came with Dragon Quest VIII, as well as the demo for Metal Gear Solid 2 that came with pre-orders of Zone of the Enders).

You also start getting into issues of storage space when you start including trailers and demos on your discs.  First and foremost, you have to have space for your own game, and that tends to fill up extremely quickly so there's no room for anything else.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:03:38 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 02:06:20 AM »
"I usually just ignore them.  I have GameTrailers.com for my preview needs."  But your an hardcore gamer, the vast majority of gamers are casual gamers so it's mostly for them. 

And like I stated alot of WII games do have extra space, HD games tend to fill the disk but since the WII is just SD alot of them are rather small. 

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 02:14:06 AM »
And like I stated alot of WII games do have extra space, HD games tend to fill the disk but since the WII is just SD alot of them are rather small.

You would be surprised at how much things need to be cut even for Wii games to make them fit on the DVD.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.