Author Topic: Official Club Nintendo Thread  (Read 498872 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Official Club Nintendo Thread
« Reply #1225 on: December 27, 2011, 05:59:29 PM »
I guess calling it insane and unreasonable is a bit much, but I was referring to you waiting to buy eShop games so you could get them in the new Club Nintendo year.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: December 28, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »
'Meh.  It's not like I don't have plenty of games to play now.  No need to download the games anyway.

Of course, the worst part is they risk me not being interested enough to download them later...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: December 31, 2011, 03:29:29 PM »
That's interesting. I guess her reply changed because she said something she wasn't supposed to say. Maybe they are just supposed to ignore comments about the date change...

I know Nintendo shortened the dates because they didn't want people sitting on surveys, but they should have thought of that before giving them five years. I don't mind that they shortened the date for new registrations, but I don't find it of good form to mess with the old survey structure for those who still have some old ones.

Now, how can we figure out when they will expire? Well, first off, are we sure that the dates haven't been moved up? Will they expire once that day rolls around, or are they still set for that year even though the year isn't displayed? I don't have anything until February so I can't answer this yet, myself.

Anyways, registrations and surveys expire five years after a game's release date, so we just have to look up release dates for games. However, games before Club Nintendo existed can be tricky... some of these had the year Club Nintendo started, others have some other arbitrary year. Might want to do these ones first, to be sure.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: December 31, 2011, 03:38:06 PM »
My survey strategy is all messed up right now because I don't know if they expire on the date next year or some other year... :(

I'm sitting on about 150 pts right now and only need about 30-40 of them for Platinum and I have no idea on how to proceed at this point.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: December 31, 2011, 07:24:58 PM »
Unfortunately it seems the best way to limit your losses is to save any post-July-expiration surveys for the next cycle.  I'm not sure I'd trust any remaining "years" left on a survey into account, else risk losing free coins...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: December 31, 2011, 07:42:21 PM »
all of mine have an expiration of May (I think) or sooner except for one that says Nov 23 or something like that

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: January 01, 2012, 03:17:36 PM »
I've got 51 of these post-play survey things backed up, and about a dzen or so have dates in the second half of this year. Still, I haven't registered Zelda yet.... hmmmm
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: January 05, 2012, 06:06:49 PM »
For our European (UK only?) Club Nintendo Members ONLY

Get 3D Classic: Kid Icarus for FREE
by registering 2 (two) of the following 3DS games before Jan. 31st 2012

Dead or Alive Dimensions
Mario Kart 7
Nintendogs + Cats
Pilotwings Resort
Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D
Resident Evil: Revelations
Star Fox 64 3D
Steel Diver
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Pokemon Rumble
Super Street Fighter IV 3D
Tetris
TLOZ: Ocarina of Time 3D

Source

Now why can't NoA do stuff like this? This is how you incentivize game purchases and registration and have the added bonus of promoting your 3D classics line all in one.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: January 06, 2012, 12:57:16 AM »
I won't begrudge NoA, for once. Unless I'm wrong, and Europeans can buy games with their stars.

Wait, they can, right? Grrrrr.....

Offline evolution4life

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: January 07, 2012, 10:15:53 AM »
We can indeed, I picked up my 3ds with Mario Land and a bunch of cheap used wii games all with ununsed and in date club nintendo codes, managed to redeem them all, do some surveys and other bits I had left and i got Super Mario RPG on virtual console and still have a some Nintendo points left over. I will be picking up Mario Kart or Zelda before the end of the month, so I can get kid icarus as I will be buying both those games at some point anyway
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 10:18:42 AM by evolution4life »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1235 on: January 07, 2012, 04:34:27 PM »
I hated Mario Kart: Super Circuit, is it worth using 100 coins to get Super Mario Kart since they seem so similar?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1236 on: January 07, 2012, 04:52:26 PM »
No.

Almost have enough for Ball. Does anyone here have it? Is it worth it? Should I just save my Coins for future downloadable games?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: January 07, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »
If you have no nostalgia for the Mario Kart series, then I would say no. I also didn't like Super Circuit, and I don't like the SNES game either, it's aged pretty poorly. Super Circuit actually made the SNES tracks worse; by adding the powerslide boost and taking away the feather item, the tracks are more difficult to navigate.

What are your reasons for not liking Super Circuit? If they are anything more than the controls, odds are you won't like Super Mario Kart either.

Almost have enough for Ball. Does anyone here have it? Is it worth it? Should I just save my Coins for future downloadable games?
If you're interested in Nintendo's history or want a complete set of their handhelds, then yes, it's worth it. It's an excellent recreation of a Game and Watch, so if you want a Game and Watch, go for it. If you just want fun games to play, it isn't worth it, especially with how many download games 1,200 coins can get you.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 04:57:48 PM by Mop it up »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1238 on: January 07, 2012, 05:01:53 PM »
I like all of the 3D Mario Kart games, but the only two I have never played were the SNES and GBA ones (and I only played the GBA one thanks to the Ambassador program). I stopped playing MKSC after one race because the controls were horrible and that is a mortal sin for something like the Mario Kart series. The graphics were so-so (even by GBA standards). If the controls for SMK are similar, then yeah I will not waste my coins on it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1239 on: January 07, 2012, 07:13:21 PM »
MKSC's controls are way worse than SMK's.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: January 07, 2012, 11:13:58 PM »
I have a Game and Watch Ball from Club Nintendo.

You can download the exact same game from the DSiWare store for $2... and get 10 Club Nintendo points for it.

You don't get the Club Nintendo reward because you want a game to play... you get it because it's a great trinket to have.  So, if you want a trinket, get it.  If you want a game, go spend $2 in the eShop.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: January 08, 2012, 10:12:09 AM »
I don't get the hate for Mario Kart Super Circuit.
The controls are different from more modern versions of Mario Kart, but not at all bad (in my opinion). They are responsive, and give you all the control necessary to race effectively - but there is a learning curve. Super Circuit is also one of the rare times that Mario Kart has really been about racing. Make mistakes and you will lose; special items are important and helpful, but not game-changers like they are in later version. I really appreciate that.
Why do you feel otherwise? (Saying "bad controls" doesn't help without describing why you consider them to be "bad".) Is it just because the game is different from what you are used to? Is it because GBA didn't have anywhere near enough horsepower to push real 3D tracks? If griping about the game, at least explain what you didn't like.
It reminds me of the people who cry about the DS game being broken due to snaking. It's not broken, and it's certainly not a bad game. They just don't like how snaking is an important part of that game if you want to play competitively online, usually because they aren't good enough at it and don't want to invest the time and effort to learn.
Oh well. At least Super Circuit is miles better than F-Zero Maximum Velocity. That game should've been good but was hurt by restrictions to the number of cars on-screen, brutal rubber band AI, and a cheap approach to increasing difficulty by just pumping up opponent cars without changing what is available to the player. Lame.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: January 08, 2012, 02:16:17 PM »
First of all, on the subject of Ball:

Halbred, I echo what Mop it up and UncleBob say. If you're investing in Ball as a game to play on the go, I probably wouldn't bother. However, if you would like it as a collectible, then I'd say it's worth picking up (although I still feel that 1200 coins is a little steep). It is definitely a cool recreation of an integral piece of Nintendo history, which is essentially why I ordered it. You will find it to be cooler than the Handheld History cards.

On the subject of Mario Kart: Super Circuit:

I played through MK:SC back when it was first released on the GBA, and at the time, I quite enjoyed it, but it was definitely different from it's predecessors in both controls and course design. I've heard people say that the controls are looser than Super Mario Kart's, and that I will certainly agree with. However, this creates the learning curve that ejamer mentioned. I believe that MK:SC has the biggest learning curve of any Mario Kart game, and many will likely write-off the game too early because of it. Mario Kart is supposed to be quite accessible, after all. On top of the loose steering, you have several courses which require you to make hairpin turns, and arrows flash on the screen to warn you when approaching them. These turns, coupled with the loose controls, require you to memorize the tracks in order to effectively negotiate these turns. It's also therefore likely that you have to memorize the tracks to a degree which you may not have to in other Mario Kart games. I still got plenty of enjoyment out of the game, though.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: January 12, 2012, 02:54:56 PM »
My brother just traded away his extra Team Fortress 2 scrap for codes for me worth 90 club nintendo points. He is awesome.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: January 12, 2012, 09:39:50 PM »
Ooh, just noticed they've rotated their downloadable games. Dr. Mario Online Rx and Majora's Mask for Wii, Kirby's Dreamland and Dr. Mario Express for 3DS.

The 3DS Dr. Mario costs fewer coins than the Wii version!  :P:

Two of those titles get!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:41:31 PM by noname2200 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: January 12, 2012, 09:45:34 PM »
As I pointed out in TalkBack, pretty much the entire game of Dr. Mario Express is unlockable in WarioWare if you have the Ambassador games, without taking up precious space in the internal memory.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: January 12, 2012, 09:47:46 PM »
As I pointed out in TalkBack, pretty much the entire game of Dr. Mario Express is unlockable in WarioWare if you have the Ambassador games, without taking up precious space in the internal memory.

One of those titles get!

Thanks! I'm starting to run low on coins...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: January 12, 2012, 11:34:12 PM »
The 3DS Dr. Mario costs fewer coins than the Wii version!  :P:
You misread, the 3DS Dr. Mario (it's actually DSiWare) costs more coins than the Wii version. And the Wii version actually costs twice as many points as the DSiWare version, so the Wii version would be a better value to get. It has a 2-4 player co-op mode that can actually be pretty fun.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: January 13, 2012, 11:27:15 AM »
Ooh, just noticed they've rotated their downloadable games. Dr. Mario Online Rx and Majora's Mask for Wii, Kirby's Dreamland and Dr. Mario Express for 3DS.

and Majora's Mask for Wii

I guess now I have no excuse for not owning it and giving it a second-go  ;D

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: January 13, 2012, 01:42:30 PM »
I have heard all about the "snaking" in Mario Kart DS but have no clue what exactly it is or how to do it. Can someone please explain? Sorry for the thread-jack

On topic, I am pissed at myself for missing the December games. The January crop doesn't interest me much. My son already bought Majora's Mask with a gift points card a long time ago. I haven't yet played it.
Oui, Mon Gars!