Author Topic: Cursed Mountain  (Read 55025 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Cursed Mountain
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2009, 01:55:43 PM »
Yeah but this fall is rather vague. That could be Sept. Oct. or Nov., and since that's so soon, you think a date would be posted somewhere or atleast a solid month.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2009, 09:40:41 PM »
I touched Cursed Mountain for about two minutes while waiting for whatever game was next to it. I was thoroughly baffled and feel like I would be doing a disservice by writing impressions based on what little I played. I will say that the character moved very slowly.
I guess that explains the lack of coverage for Cursed Mountain.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Horror Game of the Year?
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2009, 11:30:38 PM »
"why I think Cursed Mountain will be the horror game of the year."- destructoid.com
The impression I got within twenty seconds of holding the controller while playing Cursed Mountain is that is reminded me of the Fatal Frame series, which I hold in the highest respect when it comes to survival horror. The only title I hold higher is Silent Hill 2, in fact, so to have a reaction like that so immediately is a great thing in my book.

The control scheme uses both the Wiimote and nunchuk, and they both feel pretty natural. The analog stick controls movement, while you use both controllers to perform mantras -- sacred prayers meant to keep the evil spirits of the mountain at bay. Developers Deep Silver have said that this was designed to open the player's body language. Not only does it do that, but it stands out as one of the most unique things I've done in a horror title to date.

I also got an earful of the audio, and both the voiceovers and the music are top notch. This is one of those things that makes a huge difference in a game, as I'm a total audiophile and will only play a survival horror game while wearing headphones. Instead of going for the chaotic orchestral atmosphere, the soundtrack is sparse, with the lingering of bells and chimes sounding as if they are far away in the distance. It perfectly communicates the isolation and forces you to face your own fears -- and as this ascent continues, they are bound to only get worse.

If Cursed Mountain is anywhere near as good as it seems like it's going to be, this could truly be the definitive survival horror title of the year. I'll be waiting patiently to find out the answer when it hits store shelves this September.

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2009, 09:51:15 AM »
I'm impressed by some of those screens. While the Destructoid writer will play it for sure, it's still too bad that Shattered Memories is on the horizon. Hopefully this game still has a chance for reasonable success - that is, if it can muster some good scares and has worthwhile gameplay. I'm looking forward to finding out.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2009, 10:40:25 AM »
I'm impressed by some of those screens. While the Destructoid writer will play it for sure, it's still too bad that Shattered Memories is on the horizon. Hopefully this game still has a chance for reasonable success - that is, if it can muster some good scares and has worthwhile gameplay. I'm looking forward to finding out.

Well do we know about this game in terms of gorey content? It doesn't seem like its going for the same type of survival horror other games try to achieve, so if it keeps its rating under M and still brings the horror (and good reviews) it might end up finding a willing audience, maybe even moer so than a game many people view as a "lazy remake" or whatever.

Looks pretty good and sounds interesting. One of those games i'll have to keep my eyes up, glad BnM is in love with this game and updates the thread with new info when he can. Thanks!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2009, 12:25:17 PM »
Some of the screen shots look amazing and others look like a PC game circa 1999. I think it may be the character model. His shoulders seem slightly narrow for his body.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2009, 12:31:55 PM »
Looks pretty good and sounds interesting. One of those games i'll have to keep my eyes up, glad BnM is in love with this game and updates the thread with new info when he can. Thanks!

I'm not in love with the game, merely interested in it. But we hardly know anything about it and NWR has failed to give us impressions or previews or anything from E3 on it. So I just updated the thread with relevant info since this is all we have.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2009, 01:20:52 PM »

I'm not in love with the game, merely interested in it. But we hardly know anything about it and NWR has failed to give us impressions or previews or anything from E3 on it. So I just updated the thread with relevant info since this is all we have.

its a secret love, how cute!
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2009, 02:13:16 PM »
IS NOT!!!

:blushes:*

*but no one notices since my skin is so dark

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2009, 04:51:41 PM »

its a secret love, how cute!

IS NOT!!!

:blushes:*

*but no one notices since my skin is so dark

So why wasn't this an option in the 'Love Connection' Thread? Hm?

On a game related note, Amazon has new box art for this title. Looks like it isn't the US boxart, though. Has PAL rating stuff on it.

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2009, 02:41:52 AM »
That reminds me of an Alistar Maclean paperback cover.

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2009, 02:54:14 AM »
Lets see, this games story is something like, me and my brother love to hike. He went off and dissapeard and now I am off to find him (himalayas i think).  The ghost are stuck for some reason inbetween worlds while trying to pass to the other side.  This pisses ghost off (spirts) and so on.  At one time I did a bunch of reading on this and although I cant remember atm what it was, but something about how they set up the game was very interesting and cool (no pun.. really)... 

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2009, 11:57:57 PM »
Man, those screens up there are very impressive.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2009, 08:32:57 AM »
Good news for all you downtrodden readers who wanted Cursed Mountain coverage at E3. A staffer or two should be playing it this week, so we'll have impressions for you soon!
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2009, 10:14:10 AM »
Good news for all you downtrodden readers who wanted Cursed Mountain coverage at E3. A staffer or two should be playing it this week, so we'll have impressions for you soon!
Great! Finally!!
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2009, 03:47:21 PM »
Excellent, look forward to the hatorade I mean coverage.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2009, 03:53:06 PM »

Heard that one before.... :rolleyes:

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2009, 04:20:53 PM »
I should add the term hatorade is all in good fun. Wink wink, nudge nudge. 'We all hate Pale' kind of way.

Cursed Mountain looks potentially flawed and NWR didn't think much of it at E3.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2009, 04:23:07 PM »

Cursed Mountain looks potentially flawed and NWR didn't think much of it at E3.

I would assume that is why the impressions never showed up.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2009, 04:25:12 PM »
Why not jump at the chance to give negative impressions of the game, if only so gonintendo could post a link to the Impressions here and drive up viewers/fanboys?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2009, 01:30:20 AM »

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2009, 11:06:22 AM »
I'll have to check it out. I only recently saw the video up on the my nintendo channel, the games looking niiice. the mythos behind it is pretty sweet too.

edit:

Best part of the impressions?

There was some tantric sex ritual being performed and after I got a new gesture control.

Lemme guess, thrusting motion?

I then had to return to the top part of the village and perform this new gesture control in front of cursed doors and enter them to collect fragments of an artifact.

Ah i see, you had to whack off in front of a door.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 11:35:58 AM by EasyCure »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2009, 03:03:16 PM »
>> Cursed Mountain
September 2008 teaser trailer
December 2008 trailer
March 2009 gameplay video 1 - Run for your life
March 2009 gameplay video 2 - In the snow
E3 2009 trailer

These are the largest chunks of media Deep Silver has released thus far.  Ridiculous release date, the day after Metroid Prime Trilogy comes out later this month.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2009, 02:41:20 PM »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.