Author Topic: I loves me my 360  (Read 37053 times)

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: I loves me my 360
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2009, 01:46:19 PM »
Fallout 3 plays fine on 360. The big drawback is no GECK or mods.

I hope I get my 360 back before the first Fallout 3 DLC. :(

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2009, 02:15:43 PM »
I'm leaning towards Last Remnant as my first game. (I already have it)
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2009, 07:52:10 PM »
Well, good luck Pale. If you thought the Wii had no games you're in for a surprise.
LOL, seriously. I have like 10 games for 360, and half of them I already want to get rid of.

Besides racing games, my favourite game is Condemned. Very well made game, any Condemned fan out there who's played 2 as well? I'm thinking of getting it but I read up on it and it sounds a lot worse, too much focus on magic and powers and crap apparently, the only thing I hate about the first is all the weird supernatural flashback fuzzy stuff, real buzz kill. It has a real nice survival horror vibe going on aside from that. Oh and the rooms that solely exist to say "achievement unlocked" **** off, i'm in a god damn pitch black abandoned place, way to ruin the entire mood. I turned achievements off for a REASON, why are you still telling me about them.

I got Eternal Sonata for cheap and it's actually interesting, but the gameplay is sooooooooo boring. Prince of Persia, was fun until the combat ruined it. UGH, worst combat ever in a videogame. Viva Pinata? LOL. Perfect Dark Zero? Surprisingly not bad. Kameo? LOL. Saints Row? Rather weak, but SR2 looks to be a lot better. GRAW? Absolutely ****ing horrible, one of the worst games i've ever played.

Only game i'm looking forward to on the system is Race Pro, which could take GOTY.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:54:03 PM by Mario »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2009, 08:19:21 PM »
I'm leaning towards Last Remnant as my first game. (I already have it)

Pale you REALLY should get Tales of Vesparia if you want an RPG. Or as I suggested Mass Effect if you want a hybrid RPG.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2009, 03:19:02 AM »
Dunno, I found SR to be worth the 10€ I paid for it :P. The missions really needed checkpoints though, nothing is as fun-killing as having to drive to your goal for 5 minutes every time you die (well, okay, nothing may be an exaggeration, for example driving 15 minutes or watching 15 minutes of unskippable cutscenes would be worse).

Condemned, Dead Rising and Gears of War were the titles that got blocked from release here IIRC.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2009, 03:45:03 AM »
Dunno, I found SR to be worth the 10€ I paid for it :P. The missions really needed checkpoints though, nothing is as fun-killing as having to drive to your goal for 5 minutes every time you die (well, okay, nothing may be an exaggeration, for example driving 15 minutes or watching 15 minutes of unskippable cutscenes would be worse).

Condemned, Dead Rising and Gears of War were the titles that got blocked from release here IIRC.

Yeah Condemned is a great horror game. It gave me the creeps.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2009, 10:05:55 AM »
Well it arrived already.  So I get a free month of xbox live gold right?  Some people I've talked to say yes, others say no.

Also, I'm enough of a Square whore that I will be playing the square games first, contrary to all of your suggestions otherwise. =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2009, 10:19:47 AM »
The last offer of free Gold that I saw (came with a game) it was for 48 hours and was limited to downloads.

Amazon was selling 13 months for $30.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
Yeah I'm gonna get it from Amazon, but I'd like to try out NetFlix without waiting for the card to arrive.  /sigh.

Such crazy amounts of mixed reports, you sure brand new accounts don't get a free month?
---------------------

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2009, 12:31:18 PM »
Well if you do, then it should give you some sort of indication in the contents of the box...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2009, 02:55:39 PM »
Well it arrived already.  So I get a free month of xbox live gold right?  Some people I've talked to say yes, others say no.

Yeah you do, the system will tell you (after you complete the pages upon pages of forms and don't even try reading the whole terms of service, they're book-sized). Mine expired completely unused because I had no games I'd want to play online and even if I did I couldn't practice enough in singleplayer to feel ready for going against human opponents in that timeframe.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2009, 03:58:01 PM »
I actually liked Condemned 2 ;) even though it's just as short as the first game (under 10 hours).   Saints Row 2 is actually quite a bit better than 1.  It's still a GTA clone but it has a bit more humor than the first game--kinda makes fun of itself. 

You seriously didn't BUY Last Remnant did you Pale?  There's $60 well spent (rolls eyes) if you wanted crap in a box I would have only charged you half-price and it would be wam.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2009, 04:07:41 PM »
Can it hater! =P
---------------------

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2009, 04:08:12 PM »
So which "piece of crap" should I play first? Last Remnant or Infinite Undiscovery? =)
---------------------

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2009, 04:11:08 PM »
I bought my first 2 XNA community games yesterday. Weapon of Choice, and CarneyVale Showtime.

Weapon of Choice has a somewhat awkward control scheme, yet it is still enjoyable to play. Visually it looks quite good.

CarneyVale is very simple in terms of gameplay mechanics, but I think that's what makes it fun to play. Visually... this game's presentation is well above the average XNA community game.

There's another game I would get, Machiavelli's Ascent, but I am not going to because of one and only one annoying gameplay mechanic. Try the demo/trial and you will see what I mean. Otherwise it is another game with great presentation.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
So which "piece of crap" should I play first? Last Remnant or Infinite Undiscovery? =)

Infinite Undiscovery is a short game, so probably that first?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2009, 04:39:25 AM »

Neither. You should stand in front of a wall and hit your head on it repeatedly.

Caliban: Does that require that XNA creator's club license thing? I don't think I've seen any option to get XNA games like that.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2009, 06:36:51 PM »
Caliban: Does that require that XNA creator's club license thing? I don't think I've seen any option to get XNA games like that.

License? You don't pay for a license. you only pay for whatever game you want to buy. It might also not yet be available for Europe. I recall doing some small installation to play a few of the XNA demos from last year's GDC or E3 (can't recall)... wait, did you update your system into the new UI layout (NXE)? I'm certain the new menus have an option within Game Marketplace, in between Themes & Gamer pictures and Game Add-Ons, that goes by Community Games.

... After a bit of searching on the XBox site: "The Xbox LIVE Community Games are offered in the United States, Canada, ithe United Kingdom, France, Spain, Italy, Singapore, Australia, and New Zealand". It's wierd how they have Spain, yet Germany is no where to be on that list. I would still check if you have a community Games section in the Game Marketplace section on your NXE dashboard.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 06:39:26 PM by Caliban »

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2009, 01:06:51 AM »
Well I ended up starting Infinite Undiscovery tonight.  So far I think it's really really cool.  I'm only about two hours, but the story seems interesting and the first party members seem really cool.

Combat feels a little clunky, but I feel like there is some depth there if I just catch on some more.

I don't like the way the game started with so many impossible battles you have to run from though.

As far as xbox opinions overall... I think this menu system is the worst of all consoles.  It's a confusing mess.  The friend list is AWESOME though (everyone add me, I'm PaleZer0 <- last 0 is a zero).  I was so impressed the first time I saw that not only does it tell me what game my friend is playing, but also what people he's playing with when he's playing online.

Voice chat is also really cool, the fact that it just works over the whole system.

Man, the d-pad really DOES suck.  I didn't think it would be that bad. =P

Netflix seems cool so far... I started three movies just to test. One came over in HD and looked wonderful. Another was standard def but still wide screen and looked pretty good.  A third was 4:3 standard def and looked pretty crappy.  So I guess that is all just going to depend on the movie.
---------------------

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2009, 03:34:21 AM »
Well, the law here is that unrated games aren't allowed to be sold to minors and I guess MS is too kiddie to let users prove their age.

EDIT: Hm, The Maw is a pretty nice game so far, way too easy though. Reviews said the puzzles get hard, I hope I'll see those soon because so far I've progressed just fine by using things just because they were there (e.g. grabbing bees, eating morph creatures, etc).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 12:40:32 PM by KDR_11k »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2009, 05:28:45 PM »
Man, the d-pad really DOES suck.  I didn't think it would be that bad. =P

It's good thing that the majority of 360 games use the d-pad mainly for subcommands rather than directional controls.

Well, the law here is that unrated games aren't allowed to be sold to minors and I guess MS is too kiddie to let users prove their age.

Oh snap. Good thing you mentioned the unrated part. I remember that when the XNE was launched I couldn't download any of the demos from the XNA community. There's a setting that isn't well self-explained, at least not to me, so it even made it hard for me to understand why I was getting a message like "you can't download unrated games". I had to change one setting to unrestricted and I was set to go.

Go to: System Settings > Family Settings > Console Controls > Restricted Content. Then just make it to allow, and just to make sure make the rest of the options within the Console controls to allow.

I know it might not work because from the quote I got it didn't include germany, but you never know until you try.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:42:28 PM by Caliban »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2009, 05:37:29 PM »
Hm, nope, The Maw didn't get difficult (makes me wonder how the reviewer could conclude that the puzzles are challenging). It's a pretty creative game with every level having different elements and few things getting reused but that doesn't seem to give the game any chance to develop any complex puzzzles, at most you get "figure out that transformation X can do Y". Also the game is designed so you can't fail, while that's nice in a point-and-click adventure way the mechanics mean that eating stuff is irreversible so they couldn't make any puzzles that require eating and using creatures in the right order because eating them in the wrong order would make the game unwinnable.

The dpad mostly has issues with hitting diagonals when I don't want to for me. In PSU going to the usable item selection often results in a diagonal which selects the wrong item, luckily so far it hasn't selected any consumables that I could use at the time but there's a definite risk of wasting items there.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:39:49 PM by KDR_11k »