Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3141081 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #5225 on: December 27, 2011, 04:56:52 PM »
One thing Nintendo could do for 3DS owners before making a hardware revision would be to make a better battery for the current 3DS, sell it off their webiste, or at Gamestop, and then allow the owner of each system to switch out the battery for a better one.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Real Wii U App Store!?
« Reply #5226 on: December 29, 2011, 08:10:45 PM »
Nintendo building a full on App Store for Wii U!?
let's all hope Nintendo is finally ready to dive in headfirst into the deep end. No more baby steps.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/12/29/122911-tech-gaming-wii-appstore/
Nintendo stealthily building app store for its next-gen console

Nintendo’s next game console, the Wii U, is months away from launch, but its touchscreen controller is already turning heads — and The Daily has learned that Nintendo plans to implement a full-blown app store for the system.

Nintendo currently maintains repositories that act as “light” app stores: The DSi Shop for its portables, and the Wii Shop for its current console. Most of its apps are games and basic utilities like Mario Calculator. The Wii U’s as-yet-unnamed store will go far beyond this, proffering a wider variety of apps, said a person familiar with the matter.

Wii U owners will be able to use apps that operate on the Wii U itself, such as MLB.TV, and others that run independently on the Wii U’s controller. Given its tablet-like design and 6.2-inch screen, it’s not hard to imagine being able to check email, browse the Web, post to social networks and even get some gaming in.

It’s unknown whether Nintendo plans to monetize its app store with a points system, which it currently uses for WiiWare and DSiWare, or with a more Apple-like pay-to-play system.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: December 29, 2011, 08:18:54 PM »
That article, or at least the part you quoted, completely ignores the eShop, only mentioning the DSi Shop on the handheld side, leading me to believe it's either out of date or written by someone who doesn't have any idea what they're talking about.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: December 29, 2011, 10:07:29 PM »
Man I love being excited for Nintendo! The weight of the world and past Nintendo short comings haven't crushed my spirit yet!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5229 on: December 29, 2011, 10:24:34 PM »
That article, or at least the part you quoted, completely ignores the eShop, only mentioning the DSi Shop on the handheld side, leading me to believe it's either out of date or written by someone who doesn't have any idea what they're talking about.

True, but the eShop only has like 4 3DS apps, the rest are DSi apps.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: December 29, 2011, 10:36:29 PM »
Man I love being excited for Nintendo! The weight of the world and past Nintendo short comings haven't crushed my spirit yet!

Manage your expectations.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: December 29, 2011, 11:41:27 PM »
It would be great if the Wii U had apps like Quicken so people could do their taxes on it, or Office suite programs that would allow them to do spreadsheets and things like that. The hardware itself is certainly more than powerful enough to pull it off, and it would be a great thing for those who don't yet have a computer (they are out there).

Oh yeah, and who could forget a Mario Paint app? Make it simple enough so anyone can play with it and have fun, but allow enough complex features so it can be a competitor to Photoshop. As long as it allows file formats to be exported to SD or uploaded online then it will be awesome. The tablet controller is perfectly suited for this, so no extra peripheral would be required, but I suppose they could allow a USB mouse to be used.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:44:14 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
EPIC Mickey 2 - Fall 2012 (Multi-plat & Co-op)
« Reply #5232 on: December 30, 2011, 02:16:08 AM »
Apparently Disney accidentally released a newsletter that confirmed the existence of Epic Mickey 2.

Multi-platform, co-op, Fall 2012 release.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/12/29/rumor-co-op-multi-console-epic-mickey-2-to-release-next-year.aspx

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: EPIC Mickey 2 - Fall 2012 (Multi-plat & Co-op)
« Reply #5233 on: December 30, 2011, 02:29:09 AM »
Apparently Disney accidentally released a newsletter that confirmed the existence of Epic Mickey 2.

Multi-platform, co-op, Fall 2012 release.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/12/29/rumor-co-op-multi-console-epic-mickey-2-to-release-next-year.aspx

If this "rumor" turns out to be true, I'll be hesitantly excited.  The original Epic Mickey was an incredibly flawed game that never really delivered on its promises (but still managed to be a decent game IMO), but there is still so much potential in that concept.  I'd love to see a talented development team take another crack at it and get it right this time, especially with hardware that can actually render the look of the concept art.  Maybe we could get an actual moral choice system that affected more than collectable trinkets and 2 seconds of footage in the ending, which would also actually be affected by your choices this time.

Unfortunately, this is Disney we're talking about.  Aside from Split/Second (a game sabotaged by Disney with little marketing and mind-bogglingly bad release timing, which in turn destroyed the studio), I can't think of the last truly-great game to come out of one of their studios.  I have a sinking feeling that Disney does not want to put the resources and time necessary to make a stellar sequel, especially since they saw with the first game that even a mediocre product could sell very well.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:32:22 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: December 30, 2011, 02:40:55 AM »
I own but never played the original, but maybe they can realize their original vision using the uTab this time around as a canvas much like the touch screen works in Swapnote for the upper screen in real-time.

I can only assume that since they are supposedly making a PS360 version, there will also be a Wii U version based on those assets too. Would make a great launch title IMO.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5235 on: December 30, 2011, 11:08:37 AM »
I kind of got the impression that Disney made Warren Spector change the story because early interviews with Spector made it sound like Oswald was supposed to be much more antagonistic than he ended up being, like he was supposed to have a broader curve to being Mickey's ally. That's troubling if true because people who don't know anything about game design and possibly storytelling are interfering in and affecting the development process. In that case, the original vision is ruined no matter what console the game lands on.

Also, I'm not especially excited about a Wii U app store, mostly because I don't use apps often and can do much more on my MacBook Pro if necessary. It's not a bad idea if Nintendo goes all in but personally, I can take it or leave it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:11:14 AM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: December 30, 2011, 12:37:01 PM »
Well, if they go "all in" on apps, then it's hopeful that they are going "all in" on online and every other feature that the machine is technically capable of (such as  DVD/Bluray playback that can be streamed to the controller ;) )

Maybe they will allow lots of 3rd party apps or skins and other such personal customizations to the UI to make your Wii U look extremely unique or do things Nintendo never even considered or intended to make (such as a Universal Remote App w/ Channel Guide or PC Media streaming).
How about an app that allows Region Free gaming? No need to hack your system and possibly void your warranty!

So many possibilities open up if Nintendo allows a full on App store in the likes of Android Market (with more control) instead of the occasional Mario clock app or Pikmin calendar.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:38:55 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: December 30, 2011, 01:12:54 PM »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: December 30, 2011, 04:43:45 PM »
I wouldn't gone further back, but that was from my first post on the new forums.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5241 on: December 30, 2011, 07:01:44 PM »
I don't think this App store is actually an App store like Apples. 

Remember the Tablet isn't going to be storing games on it, it can't be a portable gaming system.  So, I believe this App Store is closer to Xbox market place, Playstation store, and Nintendo Ware.

This was reported in a newspaper which the writer probably doesn't understand the gaming market...doesn't really know what the Wii U Tablet is.  He probably looks at it as another tablet entering the market. 

So my expectations are Nintendo is planning on launching the Wii U with a market place to mostly download games and probably a few cool apps that will work with the Tablet...but nothing much else.  Actually, my biggest desire is for Nintendo to take the Virtual Console market and the Wiiware games and bring everything over to the Wii U.  And allow us to transfer our purchases. 

Then perhaps we can see Nintendo launching more VC games and get the Wiiware games back and perhaps get many of the awesome download games that we missed last generation that Xbox and PS got.  That in itself would help the Wii U have a pretty strong launch lineup.  Imagine launching the Wii U with 3-5 most requested Virtual Console games plus some new Wiiware games, plus 2-3 Nintendo first party Wii U games...plus the 3-4 third party games that always come at launch. 

That would be a killer lineup. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: December 30, 2011, 08:47:05 PM »
Maybe at some point in the future Nintendo will revise the Tablet controller to allow it to store games and be usable as a portable gaming system. It can't be done now because of cost considerations, but in the future when the costs come down I can see this happening. Its just like how Motion Plus wasn't included in the Wiimote because it was too expensive at first, but later on the costs came down and Nintendo revised it. So there's no reason not to think it couldn't happen again with the tablet controller.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: December 30, 2011, 08:59:29 PM »
The tablet is a dumb terminal meaning it doesn't really do any heavy processing of anything, that is all handled by the Wii U and then magically beamed over to the tablet (technology is magical).

But I do hope they opt for an SD card slot in the tablet if they intend for us to travel with this thing to a friends house so that we can bring our saves, Mii's, and even our apps/games with us to share with a friend while visiting.

edit: and I think I found what you are looking for:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/27/jxd-releases-s7100-android-based-gaming-tablet-manages-to-steal/

[size=78%]http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzM1MDY5MDA0.html[/size]

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 09:06:38 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: December 30, 2011, 10:36:56 PM »
Sure you won't need "google maps" or something like that but there's plenty of other apps that can used around the house.  Me, I'm looking forward to any "kitchen aid" like the Professional Cooking DS software, home "fix-it" guide, even some self improvement stuff. 

Not everyone has an tablet so there is basically a "free" one that comes with the console.  As long as the apps prices are similar to the apple/amazon/droid stores then it'll work for me. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: December 30, 2011, 10:46:13 PM »
The tablet is a dumb terminal meaning it doesn't really do any heavy processing of anything, that is all handled by the Wii U and then magically beamed over to the tablet (technology is magical).

Yeah, for now. That is something that could be changed in a future tablet revision, though. Like I said it can't happen yet because it would be too expensive, but what about when the prices come down? I foresee a great convergence at some point where the 3DS and Wii U controller end up being one and the same.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: December 30, 2011, 11:06:59 PM »
3DTabS

another fork in the Nintendo handheld strategy.

GB - currently retired
3/DS - currently on hold
3DTabS - the FUTURE!!! (yr2015)

a portable gaming tablet sporting a 3D 7" resistive 1024x768 touch screen. 1.5MB RAM w/ 16GB onboard storage + 32GB SD card included. Dual Analog controlls with 2 triggers, 2 shoulders, 4 face buttons and the standrd Start, select, home buttons. 2mp Front facing & a 5mp rear facing 3D cameras. Built in sensor bar for Wii U compatibility. Full 3DS backwards compatibility. Custom Quadcore Arm CPU w/ dual 3DS GPU's & dual 2800mAh batteries all for the low low price of  $169.99

It's a possibility assuming the success of Wii U.
Might be too little too late though.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: December 30, 2011, 11:30:32 PM »
I suggested this beforeld release a new battery for the 3DS with more power before making a revision.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: December 30, 2011, 11:34:48 PM »
Until the 3DS technology gets cheap enough they could always put the regular DS chips into it and give it the ability to play DS games as well as specific Wii U tab games on the go. It wouldn't be in 3D nor would it be in HD or even close to it, but its something that I think at this point is cheap enough that it could be pulled off very easily, yet it would still be lightyears ahead of the Dreamcast's VMU concept where this idea originally came about.
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: December 31, 2011, 12:15:50 AM »
Man, if only there was an expansion port on the Wii U controller... that you could add a sort of "cpu+battery" pack to so the thing could go untethered from the console...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.