Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 273741 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile

Release Date: March 3, 2017.
Price: $299

- Nintendo Switch Console
- Nintendo Switch Dock
- Left Joy-Con
- Right Joy-Con
- Joy-Con Wrist Straps
- Joy-Con Grip
- High Speed HDMI Cable
- Nintendo Switch AC Adapter

Peripherals

Pro Controller - $69.99

Joy-Con Controllers - $79.99 (Gray, Neon Blue, Neon Red, Combo Neon Blue/Red)

Individual Joy-Cons - $49.99

Joy-Con Grip - $29.99

Dock Set - $89.99

Joy-Con Steering Wheel (Set of 2) - $14.99

Games: https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=50026.0
Specs: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (Nothing from the NA site yet)
Online Details: http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

Official press release: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/first-look-at-nintendos-new-home-gaming-system

- A home gaming system with the mobility of a handheld
- NVIDIA Tegra confirmed (https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/)
- NVIDIA is creating the graphics API themselves.
- The Switch console is the tablet. The dock is where the console rests. Lift the tablet, attach the controllers and it's now a handheld.
- Switch screen is HD.
- Detachable Controller Confirmed (Can be played separately or together). They're called the JOY-CON controllers
- Cartridges Confirmed
- Switch Pro-Controller Confirmed
- Black matte colored
- Local face-to-face multiplayer.
- DeNA involved with Nintendo account somehow.

Trailer song: White Denim - Ha Ha Ha Ha (Yeah)

Confirmed Partner List
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 11:50:06 AM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Nintendo Switch
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 10:08:05 AM »
Nintendo Switch

I'll update this with screenshots from the reveal video.

Logo:

The new standalone controller:

This **** that's going to break off every unit.

Game Card slot and cowardly Headphone jack:

Whatever the **** this game is:

Nintendo Selfie-Stickâ„¢:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:22:13 AM by Adrock »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch Pre-Release Discussion (March 2017)
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 10:20:22 AM »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 10:24:20 AM »
Ehh, I'm not taking anymore screenshots if you're going to do them. Carry on. Any mods want to merge these threads?
- Black matte colored
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:26:25 AM by Adrock »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »
I got you fam.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 10:37:28 AM »
Whelp, I'm totally on the hype train and excited for March.

Now to convince my wife that I need this in my life come March...
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 10:41:19 AM »
Overall, I like it. I don't mind the name. It's one syllable and easy to pronounce.

I don't like the detachable controllers for reasons already stated, but I don't have to use it that way so that's a wash. I'm mildly disappointed that Nintendo went full-on Xbox One with the standard controller because I really liked the Wii U Pro Controller set-up. I understand due to the set-up, but it looks like it could get messy. I like the Xbox One controller so I'll live.

It still kind of bugs me that the touchscreen gets docked. I wonder if the Chromecast-esque streaming rumor is true.

Yep, this is day one for me.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 10:42:15 AM »
Whelp, I'm totally on the hype train and excited for March.

Seconded, except I'm not going to buy-in at year one unless I find a good deal/bundle and see if 3rd party support comes and is sustained.  They did a much better job with showing the value proposition than I expected to.  Not only that, but it gives me hope that they showed what looks like Skyrim running on it, which means 3rd party ports will at least be within grasp.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 10:42:25 AM »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 10:44:04 AM »
Yeah, despite my past comments, I'm on board as well. It feels fresh and new and is so completely different from the competition that I think this "Switch" has a decent shot at being a success, and with success comes support.

A deciding and defining factor will be its ability to play current gen games, its battery-life, and price.

And just regarding Nintendo themselves, what a fucking cheeky way to reveal a console. They throw out a video with absolutely no commentary and it's exactly what we were craving.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 10:46:05 AM »
FYI those are definitely new versions of Mario Kart and Splatoon. King Boo was not in MK8 and the Splatoon character models are very different.

I'm mildly disappointed that Nintendo went full-on Xbox One with the standard controller because I really liked the Wii U Pro Controller set-up. I understand due to the set-up, but it looks like it could get messy. I like the Xbox One controller so I'll live.

At least the A button is in the correct position.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:51:11 AM by Soren »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 10:50:50 AM »
Footage of the new Mario in motion.

Well looks like the fans of Mario 64/Sunshine might be happy.  Even though it's only a few seconds we clearly see some kind of town Mario is running in and the part with the platforming section with the bullet bills looks bigger then your standard levels in 3D World.  Of course that wouldn't surprise me since they've been making the 3D Mario's more and more linear so it was a matter of time before they eventually went back to a more exploration based title again.

And like I said in the other thread, the system itself looks nice.  It should be a lot easier to market this time and as long as they don't price it too high it should do pretty well.  Not Wii levels but certainly better then the Wii U and should easily pass the Gamecube as well.  So far they got the look, appeal and games going for it so as long as they don't blow the price N64 level sales should be the minimum.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 10:56:37 AM »
I think it will easily do closer to SNES levels in terms of sales. After all this effectively combines the handheld userbase and the console userbase which is easily sitting at 55 million give or take total.

Also that Mario game is what I was dreaming for, they can release nothing else along side it and I will be happy. Of course more the merrier. I am glad they are revealing what looks like a good list of games it indicates that the rumors of faster output might be true which means a larger library in a shorter amount of time. That also means MORE franchises can get represented total which translates into even more happy gamers.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 10:59:53 AM »
Switch is so thin. I'm thoroughly impressed by the design and engineering. It's very clean and simple, similar to the DSi. Nintendo really stepped up its game here.
I think it will easily do closer to SNES levels in terms of sales. After all this effectively combines the handheld userbase and the console userbase which is easily sitting at 55 million give or take total.
I can see Switch doing 3DS numbers if Nintendo doesn't price it out of acceptability. I'd like to see it no more than $300 with the dock.

Offline Soren

• View Profile

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 11:22:10 AM »
I'm willing to bet it will be a $350 price point like Wii U was.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 11:23:44 AM »
This reveal was darn near perfect for me (the only thing missing was the next Xenoblade Chronicles game from Monolith Soft). March can't get here soon enough.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 11:27:34 AM »
FYI those are definitely new versions of Mario Kart and Splatoon. King Boo was not in MK8 and the Splatoon character models are very different.

And looks like the new Mario Kart has double items again? *Double Dash hype intensifies*

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 11:28:14 AM »
Switch is so thin. I'm thoroughly impressed by the design and engineering. It's very clean and simple, similar to the DSi. Nintendo really stepped up its game here.
I can see Switch doing 3DS numbers if Nintendo doesn't price it out of acceptability. I'd like to see it no more than $300 with the dock.

That is what I just said. The SNES sold about 55 million, isn't the 3DS sitting around there too or has it climbed higher than that? I was saying that is the minimum, the bar has been set. It will easily do higher I think, maybe as high as 90 million if they keep the games coming quick enough.

Keep in mind this is a BIG WIN not just because of games but look at it this way. Normally a Nintendo gamer has to choose which system to get when. If they are planning on buying both, which many do, that means putting that $150-$300 into the system they feel they need the most and then putting the other into the one they held off.

Think of it this way. If you bought a Game Cube and a GBA and all the hook ups you spent what $200 for the Game Cube, $100 for the GBA and then the hook ups cost you let's say another $50? That is $350 right there to get everything. Most people won't spend that kind of cash. But those that do, they get the machine and 2-3 games. This way you buy ONE machine and more games. So it's basically going to mean gamers will have more money to spend on games which means more software sales and more hardware sales because there isn't any on the fence do I get the console or the handheld it is one purchase. I could probably explain better but I think you get the point, it's going to make money for everyone and for the first time in two decades 3rd parties will have a chance to be noticed.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 11:31:55 AM »
A lot of people are salty on the idea of taking their console outside. And yes, a lot of what was shown on the trailer will not happen. You're not going to take your Switch to the pickup courts. But thinking rationally Nintendo just made it super easy to play your console games in any room of your house while eliminating the technological tether that was holding the Wii U GamePad back. Want to take the console to your room? balcony? backyard? office? bathroom? bathtub? Go right ahead, Nintendo just made it possible.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 11:38:35 AM »
Ahhhh, it's everything and more. They nailed the reveal perfectly!

I noticed it's got asymmetric sticks and a little tiny d pad.

I'm pretty sure that's Mario Kart 8 but with some enhancements, the UI and the track we see is the same but King Boo is new and you can also hold two items.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 11:44:26 AM »
I am a bit bummed with the split D-pad on the Joy-Con but I can understand why they did it. I can still see myself using the Pro Controller more often.

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 11:47:32 AM »
It looks amazing. The idea of a hybrid was always great and looks like a brilliant execution. I'm so pumped.

Also, my professional opinion as a marketeer (*cringe*) is that the name is good, but the clicking sound is brilliant.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 11:47:43 AM »
Looks like the 3D Mario footage also shows Mario doing the triple jump again, which was removed in 3D World.  There's  also a heart icon on the right side of the screen in that Bullet Bill platforming section, which probably means a health system closer to the the previous 3D Mario's before 3D Land/World as well.  So yeah I think it's safe to say, even with a few second of footage, the next 3D Mario is going to be closer to the either 64/Sunshine or Galaxy, then it is to 3D Land/World in terms of design.

And for Mario Kart, with King Boo playable as well as the ability to hold what looks like 2 items at once this is going to be a brand new title, probably even called Mario Kart 9.  I imagine though they're just blatantly reusing the exact same engine and will probably still include a shitload of stages from MK8, but don't be surprised if we still get at least 16 new stages, because this is going to be considered a new installment.  By the time the Switch comes out, it'll have been 3 years since the base game of Mario Kart 8 was released and 2 years since the last DLC was release.  That's plenty of time for the Mario Kart team to make a new installment during that time and for marketing reasons alone is something Nintendo would want since new games make bigger impacts on sales then ports.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 11:48:08 AM »
Well, I was planning on figuring out how many gameplay hours I still have left on the 3DS to see if I really needed this. But that's because I wasn't expecting support from Bethesda and figured the software library would be similar enough to what's already being offered by Nintendo. I could probably spend the entirety of 2018 on Skyrim and Breath of the Wild alone. I'm almost certain to buy it in 2017 now. I'm super hyped. It's almost like they had me in mind when developing this.