Author Topic: The Next 3D Zelda  (Read 11231 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Next 3D Zelda
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 02:48:09 PM »
The first New Play Controls title came out over 2 years after the Wii launched, well after you've registered your distaste for the console, its games, and its entire philosophy. The difference is that you're going to a restaurant you already don't like then complaining about the service and the food. That makes it your fault for going. What the hell did you expect from something that already displeases you? I don't like fast food. I'm not going to go to a fast food chain then complain that I hated it.

With a restaurant I go in every time I want something to eat.  With a console I buy it ONCE and it is supposed to last for the next several years.  So after enough time of owning the Wii and being pretty annoyed by it my opinion of it no longer mattered?  I'm still a customer.  I still paid money for this product.  So if my car breaks down after I've already become annoyed by it I have no right to complain?  Also the NPC games were coming out I had not yet purchased a PS3.  I was still a Wii-only guy so I directly felt the effect of the drought.

This isn't like something I've always disliked and yet care about for some reason.  I was a big Nintendo fan and I'm upset of how things have gone in the last six years.  Everything about the Wii that pisses me off is frustrating because I used to really like this company and was a big fan and it really sucks that they've pissed that all away.

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 03:20:53 PM »

This isn't like something I've always disliked and yet care about for some reason.  I was a big Nintendo fan and I'm upset of how things have gone in the last six years.  Everything about the Wii that pisses me off is frustrating because I used to really like this company and was a big fan and it really sucks that they've pissed that all away.
No you are just a troll because Nintendo are geniuses by selling so few games last year that they posted their first loss in history.. even though they released a new handheld that had 2 Ports and so many other amazing games that people loved... and every console has cycles so it makes sense that they're losing customers because it's the end of the Wii and no one wants to buy new great games for a system... so they didn't make any ...and no one wants to buy 3DS games because it's too new ...and that's how cycles work, duh.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 03:40:09 PM »
That's one hell of a run-on sentence.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 03:55:15 PM »
I'm surprised anyone noticed.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 04:01:30 PM »
Zelda 2 3D Remake
</debate>
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 04:03:22 PM »
The most important thing about Majora's Mask getting a remake would be the mask selection screen. It would greatly open up the feel of the gameplay. Hell, I'd be down for them using that to add new dungeons that make more out of swapping mask abilities.

Beautiful game, though, and probably one of the most emotionally affecting games made to this day, using its unique non-linear narrative technique. That's what story telling in games should aspire to, not Hollywood-style cut-scenes.

I disagree with the sentiment posted above that it was a bad "Zelda" game. It was the last major attempt to experiment with the formula (that wasn't just turning the overworld into an ocean, cloud bank, or of set of train tracks), and the series could dearly use another such shot in the arm.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 06:33:58 PM »
Ugh.

Zelda had TWO outings on the DS. Two games, made for that system from the ground up. What's with all this port nonsense? I get it- A Link to the Past and Majora's Mask are both great games, but to argue over which should get a port is just silly. They should stop hiding behind past successes and MAKE A NEW GAME.

Oh, and if you release a Link to the Past, it should be a 3D classic.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2012, 06:52:32 PM »
Ugh.

Zelda had TWO outings on the DS. Two games, made for that system from the ground up. What's with all this port nonsense? I get it- A Link to the Past and Majora's Mask are both great games, but to argue over which should get a port is just silly. They should stop hiding behind past successes and MAKE A NEW GAME.

Nintendo has already said the next 3DS Zelda will be a new one. This topic is to discuss which should be remade after that.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 07:38:18 PM »
Considering Majora's Mask is my second favorite in the series, I'm a bit blind to its faults. Can someone who thinks the game is "bad" please explain your point of view, cause I'm having a hard time seeing it.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2012, 08:00:06 PM »
Majora's Mask is one of my favourite games ever... but I totally get why someone wouldn't like it.  The game has a time limit for dungeons and it's three day cycle makes for a certain amount of repetition.  I didn't LIKE those elements of it, I just put up with them as necessary evils in the three day concept.  All the cool stuff involving Clock Town for example NEEDS that three day cycle.  The game also is very good at giving you the ability to rapidly skip sections you've already done.  But it isn't perfect and can cause frustration.  It's a lot like Pikmin.  The 30 day time limit is a real love-it-or-hate-it in that game.

What I like though is that MM is a good demonstration of Nintendo not going for a cookie-cutter sequel.  It isn't just OoT Part 2.  They try some new ideas.  Sometimes this approach works and sometimes it doesn't but I'll take a Nintendo that tries those sort of things out over one that plays it safe and rehashes the same stuff again and again.

It's also worth noting that MM is a one-shot deal.  The three day cycle didn't become a Zelda standard.  One beef I had with WW's graphics was the suggestion that that should be the standard graphic style from then on.  PH's touchscreen controls as a one-off wouldn't bother me that much but now it's a TREND and I outright skipped Spirit Tracks because of it.  If you don't like MM, fine, so you don't like one Zelda game, but as a one-off experiment that's acceptable.  When Nintendo tries a real out-there idea that has a mixed reaction from the fans, it's fine as a one-off idea.  It's only when they decide to keep it forever that there is a problem.

Offline Sageprotector

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 10:10:56 PM »
As cool as it would be have a 3d version of a lin ;Dk to the past majora's mask would be a better in store game a link to the past would be better at the 3ds eShop. They already made it as a remake for the GBA/GBASP. So make it as a download NOT a instore game.majoras mask would be much better. Just saying

It was a port, not a remake, it didn't even get the enhanced port treatment.

Anyways, convincing points for LttP being chosen instead. :3

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2012, 10:24:51 PM »
Since I hate Link to the Past and have never played Majora but would like to, my vote would definitely go to the latter.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ROiDS

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2012, 10:58:49 PM »
Ugh.

Like TJ Spyke said, Nintendo already confirmed a new one coming out.
You're reading this.

3DS FC: 5112-4137-2486

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 04:29:41 AM »
Since I hate Link to the Past and have never played Majora but would like to, my vote would definitely go to the latter.

Hate? Really? I didn't think anyone could have such a negative reaction to such a delightful game.
Gouge away.

Offline DaMoose

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2012, 04:48:33 AM »
Seeing as A Link to the Past rates as my favourite game for any console, it is the obvious choice.

Not a port, or a "3D classic" though. I'd love a full 3D remake. And I believe this is the best of both worlds - maintaining the nostalgia of past players, bringing a classic game to new players, whilst also giving everyone something new. I can even see them expanding the story somewhat.

Certainly, if it is remade, Nintendo needs to ensure they do it properly so as not to alienate the game's fans.

Majora's Mask is, unfortunately, the remake port I think will happen, and it will essentially be basic visual updates. Whilst I would still be one of the first to buy it, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as ALTTP, and feel ALTTP has more potential to expand to a new audience than MM.

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2012, 12:21:45 PM »
The game has a time limit for dungeons and it's three day cycle makes for a certain amount of repetition.

The thing with that is that if you play the game well, you should never be pressed for time. If you've ever run out of time in the middle of a dungeon you probably

A) Didn't use the inverted song of time
B) Didn't reset time after getting the dungeon's song
C) Suck at Zelda games.

If you give yourself a full 3 days with the inverted song of time, there's no way you should ever be pressed for time in any dungeon.

And as for repetition, the only example I can think of (outside of sidequests) where you could conceivably have to repeat anything is defeating Goht a second time to get Epona. And even that's not so bad, considering you can warp directly to the boss room after beating the dungeon once.

Hate? Really? I didn't think anyone could have such a negative reaction to such a delightful game.

I used to dislike (I won't say HATE) Lttp until very recently. I still think the first 3 dungeons are utter crap and are totally boring. But almost immediately after that, the game really picked up and I ended up loving it (I 100%'d it within a week after that point).

I think part of the problem is that early in the game, you're so weak. Most enemies do 1 heart of damage, so 3 hits and you're dead. And it takes half a dozen hits to kill even common enemies at times. As you go, you get the master sword, better armor, and more items, which makes the combat more than hit and run tactics. Also the dungeons become more challenging and interesting puzzle-wise, so it doesn't feel like going through the motions.

TL;DR The beginning of LttP sucks. Insanolord, give it another chance, you might end up liking it.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2012, 01:20:59 PM »
The game has a time limit for dungeons and it's three day cycle makes for a certain amount of repetition.

The thing with that is that if you play the game well, you should never be pressed for time. If you've ever run out of time in the middle of a dungeon you probably

A) Didn't use the inverted song of time
B) Didn't reset time after getting the dungeon's song
C) Suck at Zelda games.

If you give yourself a full 3 days with the inverted song of time, there's no way you should ever be pressed for time in any dungeon.

And as for repetition, the only example I can think of (outside of sidequests) where you could conceivably have to repeat anything is defeating Goht a second time to get Epona. And even that's not so bad, considering you can warp directly to the boss room after beating the dungeon once.

Yeah, as long as you use the backwards song of time you should never find yourself running out of time during a dungeon. For me the time loop stuff was more conceptual story-telling than a hindrance.
Gouge away.