Author Topic: Shigeru Miyamoto NOT Stepping Down from His Position at Nintendo  (Read 17526 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Shigeru Miyamoto NOT Stepping Down from His Position at Nintendo
« on: December 07, 2011, 09:57:14 PM »

UPDATE: While Miyamoto will be focusing on smaller projects, he will NOT be retiring from game development altogether.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/28632

UPDATE: A Reuters report refuted the news that Shigeru Miyamoto will be stepping down from his position at Nintendo. A spokesperson from Nintendo denied the allegations made on Wired's interview, saying that Miyamoto simply wanted to train the new generation. After the announcement, Nintendo's shares fell two percent and partially recovered after the denial.

Nintendo lead designer Shigeru Miyamoto will be stepping down from his position at Nintendo in order to work on smaller projects, Wired.com confirms.

Miyamoto mentioned in an interview on Wired.com that he has been mentioning that he will be retiring soon, and will step down from working on big titles like Super Mario 3D Land and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. “Inside our office, I’ve been recently declaring, ‘I’m going to retire, I’m going to retire,’” Miyamoto said. “I’m not saying that I’m going to retire from game development altogether. What I mean by retiring is, retiring from my current position.”

The reason as to why he is stepping down is because he hopes to work on smaller, more personal video game projects instead of titles that have up to a five-year development cycle.

Despite the decision, he has high hopes for the development teams he has taught throughout the years. “The reason why I’m stressing that is that unless I say that I’m retiring, I cannot nurture the young developers,” he said. “After all, if I’m there in my position as it is, then there’s always kind of a relationship. And the young guys are always kind of in a situation where they have to listen to my ideas. But I need some people who are growing up much more than today.” 

He concluded that he is looking forward to working with new, younger development teams.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Shigeru Miyamoto Steps Down from His Position at Nintendo
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:00:58 PM »
AHHHH! AHHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHH! AHHHHH!

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 10:02:42 PM »
It's gotta happen sometime.

I wonder if this will mean he will be hands-on on Nintendo eShop games.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:04:13 PM by Enner »

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 10:08:27 PM »
As I said in the other thread, I think this is going to be great, for Nintendo and for us.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 10:15:32 PM »

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 10:20:32 PM »
Why are people upset about this? Miyamoto's going back to hands-on game development; in what way is that not awesome?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Shigeru Miyamoto Stepping Down from His Position at Nintendo
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 10:25:29 PM »
I must admit I overreacted when I first posted. I thought he was leaving entirely. I'm okay now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 10:27:44 PM »
But on smaller games, he will not be involved in stuff like the next console Mario game. I am glad he will still be involved with games, but it's a little sad to see he won't be involved in the next AAA Mario or Zelda games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 10:31:32 PM »
Because we love the drama.

But I agree with you Mr. Insanolord. Though it's gonna be weird that the next big Mario game may not have his involvement, I look forward to see what little gems Miyamoto comes up with.

Offline Dman15

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 10:41:52 PM »
Is it sad that I almost cried until i read the article?
also joshnickerson, that just cheered me up. Thanks  :)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 11:10:52 PM »
My daughter will be born out of the age of miyamoto.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 11:19:12 PM »
Good for him

He helped make some games I liked and some games I thought were trash.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 11:25:44 PM by marty »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 11:23:26 PM »
What we need to worry about now is who will take his place. That's some pretty senior position he had, so we don't want some total dunce getting promoted to that. It could be devastating for the company.
is your sanity...

Offline Sageprotector

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 11:32:22 PM »
I wish Miyamoto-san the very best in his future endeavors. At least he'll still be around. :3

As said before, this had to happen sometime.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 11:39:42 PM »
I've been expecting this for years. He never seemed comfortable with the "super producer" kind of role. He lost the ability to focus on just one or two games at a time. And his production style, which is highly experimental and can turn on a dime at any point in the project ("up-ending the tea table") is not well-suited to gigantic, multi-year projects.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 12:46:50 AM »
Miyamoto is the best ever :( 

This is a sign. The world ends in 2012.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 12:55:44 AM »
("up-ending the tea table")

Doesn't that make him kinda like Jesus?
is your sanity...

Offline StrawHousePig

• a tag
  • Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Title available upon http request.
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 01:02:10 AM »
Is it sad that I almost cried until i read the article?
Not at all. The headline is total click bait.

Miyamoto has been one of very few to deeply affect the way we interact with technology, the way we see technology and entertainment, the way it becomes woven into our culture and our lives. He has a certain undefinable quality shared by the likes of Steve Jobs. Watching guys like that talk about something they want to show you is worlds different than when a salesman or other meat puppet tries to do it (I'm looking at you, Reggie!). He was in tune with the way a thing should be and luckily for us could get it done that way.

I'm as interested as anyone in what he may come up with, but this (losing the wide reaching direct influence of a creative giant) is still a blow to the future of gaming. Though I'm glad, or at least truly hope, that he'll be getting out with his health intact. To him I say cheers, thank you, and please keep in touch.
Old gamers never die, we just run out of quarters.

Offline Ras

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 02:06:55 AM »
Kind of reminds me of how Lucas said he was walking away from blockbusters to focus on smaller, experimental films.  Not to compare Miyamoto to Lucas.  :D

I'll admit that I was stunned and saddened by the headline, but he's got some good people in place like Aonuma, Konno and Koizumi.  Maybe he'll start coming up with some great, new IPs for the Wii U era.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 02:16:14 AM »
Miyamoto is almost 60, but its not like the work he does is physically strenous, so there's no reason for him to have to retire anytime soon. I assume he also loves what he does, so even though he has tons of money he would probably want to stick around anyway and not retire. So hopefully we will get at least another 20 years worth of creativity out of him.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 03:12:39 AM »
Looks like lots of sites reported the story as the title of this one without the context, or a bunch of investors only read the headline and not the actual story (no surprise there).

But Nintendo issued a denial of retirement stating that
"This is absolutely not true," said a spokeswoman for Nintendo. "There seems to have been a misunderstanding. He has said all along that he wants to train the younger generation.

"He has no intention of stepping down. Please do not be concerned."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/08/us-nintendo-idUSTRE7B70C520111208

So it seems sensationalistic headlines and (LOL Didn't Read.meme) win the day.
Nintendo's shares have dropped 2% because of this story.

So cancel your Wii U pre-orders and sell your 3DS's, Nintendo is DOOOMED!! and there is no saving her now....

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 03:17:25 AM »
I'm not that sad or upset that he is stepping down to focus on smaller projects and let the newer development teams handle the games. If you guys paid attention for the last few years, his big games were mostly stuff like pets and sports, simple games with the focus being on the concept rather than the whole scope. Games like Super Mario Galaxy and such were mostly done by other development teams with his supervision. Even the newer Zelda games are done by different development teams. Miyamoto simply did this in steps rather than just going "WELP! IMMA GETTIN' OLD, SO I QUIT!", letting the smaller teams get to know him and how his development process goes.

I don't see this as the end of the world or even the end of an era. Miyamoto is simply a master that knows his limits and is know ready to pass the baton, but is doing it in a subtle way.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 03:30:15 AM »
Miyamoto HAS no limits. Miyamoto and Batman.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Shigeru Miyamoto NOT Stepping Down from His Position at Nintendo
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 07:32:51 AM »
My first reaction was horror, but when I read that he was just moving on from Zelda/Mario to work on new, smaller projects, it piqued my curiosity.  So do we expect to see e-shop/Wiiware games from Miyamoto now?

With the exception of the DS Zelda games, I believe that the Zelda and Mario series will be in capable hands.  They are too much of a established institution to crumble without him, and maybe him stepping down from this position will allow those development teams to own those franchises in new and unthought-of ways.

Maybe without all of the bloat from long development times and large teams, he can churn out quality games at a quicker rate.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:38:21 AM by lolmonade »

Offline Massimo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Shigeru Miyamoto NOT Stepping Down from His Position at Nintendo
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 07:59:20 AM »
I think this could be really exciting... I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in this new position of "indie" developer inside Nintendo. I've always thought his talent was kind of wasted in the role of producer. He could be more creative working as a director. He said more than once that he likes working with small teams. And let's not forget that a game like "A link to the Past" is a "small" production by today's standards!