Author Topic: Your Impressions of the Nintendo DS Demo  (Read 5905 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Your Impressions of the Nintendo DS Demo
« on: November 12, 2004, 03:14:52 AM »
In honor of Chain Chomp, many of us probably went searching for our own DS experience yesterday.  I would like to hear from all of you on what you think of the demo units, the Metroid Hunters Demo, PictoChat and whatnot.  Here is what I think.

Arriving at Gamestop I walked into the store not expecting to find it.  However tucked close to the rear of the store I found the demo setup with two Nintendo DS systems.  Surprisingly nobody was playing either of them.  This was probably because Pictochat was the functioning demo.

I played around with Pictochat and could hear the dings when my message was sent to the other DS next to it.  For some odd reason pictochat is really cool.  The only downside is the limited drawing space you have within the messages you send.  Still I am going to have fun sending picture stories to people.  

Next I turned off both units hoping to find Metroid Hunters to play.  I did, and I quickly asked if anybody would play me.  One of the employees became my opponent.  Hunters was amazingly fast, and the battle was truly intense.  

A few things I noticed about Hunters.

1)Rapid fire is pretty hard to achieve tapping L.  Sometimes I was able to get a long burst of fire, other times it was just a few bullets.  And there was no chargeshot, which I thought would have made the game alittle more strategic.

2)Don't expect to be able to use the map and move around at the sametime.  The stylus gets in your way.  I personally liked this because it made you take attention off your defense to find your opponent.  I am sure many others will hate this.  Also it isn't completely intuative to tap to open your missles for attack.  It isn't unintative, but it just like looking at the map it takes a second or two and can really cause some damage to occur to you.

3)It is very easy to lose sight of the other player in this game.  Even when they are still on the screen with you.  It may just be me getting used to the stylus to search, but often I lost my opponent completely.

In the end, we tied the match 3 kills to 3 kills.  I think the experience will just get better with 3-4 players.

Next, I went into the single player demo.  Yeah, there really isn't much there.  Running around the first option (Can't remember what it is called) was cool.  However, it felt empty.  There was nothing to connect me into the world or the experience.  The control however feels much better in single player.  I guess because you aren't in the midst of a giant battle with a human that you can't predict.  The end of the demo features a pretty intense battle with another Samus.  She isn't hard to kill, but she also isn't easy.  

The Morphball exercise was the demo I played the most because I was determined to beat it.  It was a fun race throughout the level within the morphball.  Here the stylus acts like analog control and can help you speed through the level, which is pretty tricky and will require several tries to master.  I enjoyed the experience.  But, I couldn't figure out how to use the morphball boost.  Perhaps next time.

After this I turned the system off again, and then when into the menu mode.  There are tons of cool little features to customize and personalize your DS.  The menu system is icons that for better or worse work, but really don't explain themselves.  Why not give words underneath to tell what you are selecting?  I made my way through all the icons just seeing what they do.  I was able to:

1)Change the name of the DS to: Tanuki
2)Leave me a message, but I thought I was naming the system when I did that.
3)Change the DS menu colors to my favorite color.
4)Setup my Birthday.

I didn't go to change the date or calender.  

I am very impressed with the demo Nintendo has out.  It is great to be able to play verse people in the store, and no features were locked out.  I could access everything the DS had to offer.  The Touch Screen is very accurate and sensitive which is very cool because I experienced some very bad touch screen systems.  

I really can't wait for this system to come out, and if you have it reserved go out and play it. It will just excite you more.

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Your Impressions of the Nintendo DS Demo
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 10:37:31 AM »
I'm gonna try to get to the Canadian show and play this weekend. I remember when I played the Gamecube at their travelling show, it was awesome fun.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
RE:Your Impressions of the Nintendo DS Demo
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 11:14:31 AM »
Artemis:  It is worth the trip.  I usually am not someone that thinks its a big deal to play games early before they come out.

Systems are alittle different though.  There is an excitement in going and trying a system before you can buy it.  Kinda like playing a new arcade game that just came out.  

Too bad at the show you probably won't have to time to play with all the little features within the game.  

--------------------------------

Anyone else try the system.  I really would like to know others opinions and thoughts.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 04:32:39 PM »
I played for the first time today as well...

Graphics are better than I thought.  The intro sequences in Metroid are stunning.

The single player part of the metroid demo is little more than a tech demo.  Very very blah.

Didn't get to try any multi player parts.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 06:50:38 PM »
I worked an 8 hour shift at GameStop today and only played the DS for a small 10 minutes, but I discovered that a lot of adults were drawn torward it's appeal and many claimed they were definately getting it. It seems like it's marketing is working great.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 07:39:47 PM »
This sounds awesome.  I'll try to check it out whenever I can, maybe this Thanksgiving holiday.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 02:12:23 PM »
i didnt seem to be able to exit pictochat w/out turning off the game system, which kinda bothered me.

maybe i was too baked; you be the judge
I'll shut up now...

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 02:58:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Stimutacs Addict
i didnt seem to be able to exit pictochat w/out turning off the game system, which kinda bothered me.

maybe i was too baked; you be the judge

They have a little x just like a web browser window. you click it and it exits instantaneously.

My DS impressions:

Its true what they all say. It controls just like a mouse and keyboard. The setup is a dream come true for handhelds(and FPS specifically). If every game could incorporate touch screen as the metroid hunt demo does then DS will certainly shine. If you've played a game on a PC or even just used a PC before you'll have no problem. As far as the M hunt demo goes I had no trouble getting right into the game and moving swiftly through the the environments. The only gripe I have is the double tap of the screen to jump. This can get pretty annoying when trying to platform jump difficult areas.  I did not get a chance to try multiplayer.  Im sure its much better then the single player mission.  I had a little trouble seeing the other samus at the end.  It was probably due to the angle i was looking at.  I couldnt adjust the angle because it was locked onto a stand.

Using the stylus in m hunt is a lot better then an analog. They say the thumb strap is even better.  My excitement for the DS is renewed.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 07:05:05 AM »
Yesterday was the first day I was able to take the DS for a spin.  My impressions:

Boot up was minimal, but good enough.  DS logo on top, health warnings on bottom for whatever reason.  Tap the touch screen, off to the main menu.  The menu itself was pretty straightforward, clean, pretty easy to navigate with the exception of finding the small "x" in the top corner of Pictochat, and quite friendly in appearance if not very Mac like. I thought it worked pretty well given the "touching is good" theme they've been promoting.

Pictochat was a lot of fun to try out.  Apparently, each chat room can hold about 6 people at a time and there were about 5 visible rooms from what I've seen.  Hen-pecking with the stylus actually seemed pretty solid, I didn't find myself hitting the wrong letters, and I was able to type and send messages reasonably quick.  However, I think the show stealer here was the pen tool.  While all I can recall being able to do with it was one color drawings, the stylus actually worked well enough to actually pull off some decent cartoon drawings.  I can't say for sure that I'd find myself using it often, but at the same time you'll never know.

The Metroid Prime Hunters demo was in one word, fantastic.  I would say it took me all of 5 minutes to get to know the default control scheme before I was jumping, 180 quick turning and morph balling all around without a hitch.  Shoulder buttons work very well for shooting and IMO is better than L and R on the SP.  The three demo levels were pretty much standard demo fare and did their job accordingly,  however the morph ball part of Regulation was actually quite interesting since you can use the stylus to kinda draw your way through the maze.  Multiplayer was great, it was fast and furious with stages that seem to lend themselves pretty well to decent level strategies.  Not once did the framerate stutter, and there was no lag to be seen.  Setting up multiplayer was quick and foolproof, and the stages loaded up near instantly.  Graphically, the game looks stunning.  Solid framerate without any drops, good textures, great looking effects (especially the explosions and the smoke coming from the barrel of the cannon), very nice sound which seemed to be like something you'd hear from a two speaker virtual surround sound system in miniature form.  For anyone still wondering, IMO this has got to be beyond N64 level tech.

Overall, I give it two thumbs up.  It's a great start and I can't wait to see what they do with the DS later on.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 07:32:23 AM »
Yeah, when i first played the DS i was expecting to be very frustrated about the health warning thing....but then i realized...there are TWO FREAKING SCREENS!  =P  So it doesn't really take any longer than any previous system did...you do have to click through it though...but who doesn't want to touch that screen? =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 10:59:08 AM »
Upon entering the videogame section of my local Wal*Mart, my eyes were greeted with a shiny new Nintendo DS stand. I ran over to it and and gave it a hug.

Well, first things first. The screens are very nice, albeit small. Same size as the GBA, but all the casing around it makes is feel cramped. Fortunatley, even though the DS was attached to a stand, it was still comfortable; much more than the SP/stand combo. The directional pad is slightly larger than the SP's and it feels very nice, but the face buttons are rather small. They're not so small that it should pose as any sort of a problem, but it just feels kinda strange.

The power button is just above the d-pad, and it takes only one tap to turn the system on. But, contrary to what some sources may have told you, you have to hold the button down for about half a second to turn the system off, preventing any accidental shutdowns.

Upon booting there is a seizure warning screen, but it only lasts for about one second before your allowed to tap the screen to proceed. The system page has a clock and calender on the top screen with your choices on what to do on the touch. You can either play the Metroid Hunters demo, open pictochat, download data from another DS, or play the cartridge game (which there was none of). I first chose picto-chat.

Although I wasn't talking to anyone but myself, I got the gist of what Pictochat will be like. It's not as great as Jonny, or someone at PGC, made it out to be. There are alot of characters to choose from, including some what looked like Kanji or Katana or something. But the main problem is that the buttons to choose what letter to type are VERY small and hard to hit. I had some problems with the touch screen sensitivity here, too, but not too much. I found it easier to draw what I had to say in the box, (which is also small). Not really a fun thing in and of itself, but considering it's not really meant to be a game is gets the job done.

Metroid Hunters: First Hunt. First of all, what Jonny said was true, it's nothing like a Metroid game. The biggest thing missing is the scanning. There are emblems that look like the activation switches that you scanned in MP, so it looks like you CAN scan, but you really can't. Which sucks.

Anyway, the control scheme is this: fowards/backwards = up/down on the d-pad, and left/right allows you to strafe. You look around using the touch screen, and shoot with L. Double-tap the screen to jump. Surprisingly, I found that this worked very well and it only took about 30 seconds of playing before I was used to it. Jumping is kind of a pain, but it's still easier than in other FPS's. I couldn't figure out how to get in the morph ball, though....

The touch screen worked beautifully for this game, too. The screen itself seemed very durable, and worked well with the stylus (which was thicker than what will coe with the DS, it seemed to be just a "demo" stylus, which may have contributed to the lack of sensitivity in Pictochat), but not so well with my finger. So don't lose the stylus, because it's definitley the best way to control the touch screen.

The modes of play available in First Hunt are: the main demo thing, where you walk about multiple rooms shooting green metroids; survivor, where you walk about one room shooting green metroids; morph ball, which lets you roll about some rooms bombing things; and multiplayer, which I couldn't play seeing as there was only one DS there. So all-in-all, it's a neat little demo that controls great, but's missing the metroid feel.

So basically there were some shortcomings, but it's still a blast and multiplayer is going to be RADICAKES. Just don't expect to get too much fun out-of-the-box. Pictochat and the demo don't satisfy.
----------------

Just took that from my journal.  Not even sure of what I wrote.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 11:04:35 AM »
I would just like to take the time and thank everyone who posted on this thread.  Special thanks to those who spent the couple of minutes it took to write out the detailed impressions of your experiences with the Nintendo DS demo.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 04:27:21 PM »
You change into a morph ball by hitting the ball pic in the lower left of the touch screen.
---------------------

Offline Procoprio

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 04:30:13 AM »
I played the DS at a local Wal-Mart last sunday. Yes I was very shocked to see it at Wal-Mart before my local game stores. Anyway I was very impressed with what I demoed. The Metroid controls felt very natural and I didnt mind using the stylus as much as I thought I would. But I think my hands and fingures would start to hurt after a few hours of gameplay. My only wish is that I could of tested out the multiplayer abilities of the DS. One thing that seemed annoying was that I had to turn off the system to load Picto Chat or switch to a game, vise versa as well. overall I liked the DS and im looking forward to playing SM64 DS soon.