Author Topic: Nintendo DS has 2 million preorders in Japan  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Nintendo DS has 2 million preorders in Japan
« on: November 11, 2004, 02:57:05 PM »
http://www.adr.com/adr?page=adrnews&formtype=4&level=C&prod=BT&mdate=20041111&mseq=6521

That's insane, there's going to be a lot of disappointed gamers since Nintendo are only shipping one million there this year. I really wish they had more to ship. This is going to be even bigger than the GBA SP!

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo DS has 2 million preorders in Japan
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 03:16:31 PM »
That's basically the amount of Halo 2 copies sould here in North America! Question is, will they have enough games to ship?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline VideoGamerJ

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo DS has 2 million preorders in Japan
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 06:57:26 PM »
I bet more than anything it's due to the overwhelming advertising NOJ has set forth and the word of mouth hype! NOA, I can't stress this enough, take example!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 04:00:20 AM »
Oh.  Nintendo will have enough games on market.  Usually, there are more games than systems available.

Take note.  All those people afraid PSP will hurt the DS.  Nintendo has already sold 2 million in Japan, and in the US is almost completely sold out as well.  We are looking at an estimated 4 million units sold in US and Japan by years end.  And probably much more in the US before the PSP is even launched.

Those are very strong numbers and will definately create 3rd party interest within the system.  The Nintendo DS is already a success.  And this is before Nintendo's bigger 1st party support.  Wait till Metroid Hunters, Zelda, Pokemon, Mario Kart, Wario Ware, Animal Crossing, and eventually F-Zero are released.  

Nintendo's DS is going to be a success.  Which means 2 more years or more until the next Gameboy Advance.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 04:02:08 AM »
I thought Nintendo said they will intially launch with 1 million in Japan, but by the end of the year they will have 2 million out on shelves?

It won't be too bad of a wait, since the system is launching in December, if you aren't the first it will just take a week or two to get yours.

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 03:41:33 AM »
When I read that they have 2 million preorders for the Nintendo DS, I was very relieved! Because now it is obvious it will become a success, and that Nintendo won´t "sink to hell"!

And I heard that Microsoft Corporate Vice President of Retail Sales and Marketing, Peter Moore, stated that the Sony PSP would stand no chance against the Nintendo DS, and that it would be like someone developing their own little operating system for a computer, and challenging mighty MS Windows! Read all he and one other executive over at Microsoft had to say

here

Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 08:31:52 AM »
The Windows comparison implies that Sony will slowly but surely eat up Nintendo's userbase by delivering a superior product at lower cost... Or did those MS Execs forget that Linux is gaining ground?

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 02:20:45 PM »
I'm happy for Nintendo but damn will it be hard to just simply buy it off the shelf.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Gamebasher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 05:20:36 AM »
KDR_11k, are you kidding? How can you write such nonsense?

"The Windows comparison implies that Sony will slowly but surely eat up Nintendo's userbase by delivering a superior product at lower cost... Or did those MS Execs forget that Linux is gaining ground?"

It does NOT imply that!

It implies that Nintendo is in a stronger position than ever, with a huge userbase anticipating the best from the new handheld, and therefore Nintendo rightfully receiving what they have earned by giving a superior product to a g a m e p l a y s t a g n a n t  market!

Nintendo will not be surpassed, and the PSP is NOT a superior product just because it has a better screen! NDS has two! so I would say that this more than makes up for the better one screen on the PSP! If anything the PSP will try to catch the NDS, and will at most only catch up with it, not surpass it! Why is that? Because the moment that people get used to looking at the "superior" screen SONY will deliver, they will begin to focus on what they´re doing WITH it! PLaying games! Games that are the SAME as usual and not much fun in the end. That´s when they will hear about the neighbours kids standing and jumping up and down with joy in a crowd of people who are all looking at somebody playing games on the truly superior Nintendo DS! Woohooo!!
Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 05:34:08 AM »
This is great news, but it still doesn't mean that Nintendo has won.  It has a nice lead, but in the end these two machines will sell tens of millions of units.  2 million is just the tip of the iceberg.

DS kicks PSP's arse in the gaming department, but I still believe PSP will be a success and I believe it will probably be Nintendo's biggest competitor ever in the handheld market.

But this does seem to equal success for Nintendo, which is just what I wanted to hear.  I'm pretty confident that Nintendo will hold it's own in this fight, but I don't think it can afford to let it's guard down.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 08:48:24 AM »
Gamebasher: All I'm saying is that MS is pretty arrogant to consider their own position as invincible.

Offline Gamebasher

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 03:50:18 AM »
OK, I get your point of view.

Yeah, Microsoft has e serious problem with their attitude.

Does anyone remember how great a success, Mario 64 was on the N64? People went nuts about it! So what do you think they will do now, once they see it on a handheld, with a whole new level and a ton of new additions?

Go...nuts...again! Yipiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

I just looooooove Nintendo!

The reason I still play on consoles!