Author Topic: IGN's Possible early Launch Story  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
IGN's Possible early Launch Story
« on: November 11, 2004, 07:27:12 AM »
Hey.  

As fellow internet surfers, and NintendoDS fans I am sure you have been to IGN's DS site and have read the story on a possible early launch as soon as the 15th.  

They reported  as their source 2 facts:

1)Nintendo is already shipping units and preparing their warehouses to ship more units to stores everywhere to perpare for launch.

2)Gamestop e-mailing some reservation holders and mentioning a move to launch to the 15th...or possible move of launch I don't remember the wording.

Well, I have my copy reserved at a Texas Gamestop and I didn't get such an e-mail...and I wonder if anybody really did.

Have you guys heard anything about this from either where you work if you work retail, your reservation store, or even if you are one of the Gamestop reservations that got an e-mail.

This too me seems like a smart idea.  They can launch early unadvertised and start a buzz and have the second shipment of DS systems for the scheduled date of release.  

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:IGN's Possible early Launch Story
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 07:36:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang

Well, I have my copy reserved at a Texas Gamestop and I didn't get such an e-mail...and I wonder if anybody really did.

Have you guys heard anything about this from either where you work if you work retail, your reservation store, or even if you are one of the Gamestop reservations that got an e-mail.

It says people that pre-ordered the DS via GameStop.com (the website) received the e-mail. I too reserved mine at a local Game Stop store and was wondering if this means I'll be receiving a phone call on the 15th to pick up my pre-order. However, I called the store last night and was told that they have yet to receive any Nintendo DS shipments and it's highly doubtful they'll be filling pre-orders prior to the 21st. Take that for what's it worth. I wouldn't get my hopes up, if I were you - that way you won;t be disapointed if you don't receive a phone call until the 21st.

PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 07:55:15 AM »
Yeah.  I sometimes am disappointed with supporting more local business (I know Gamestop is a huge chain) instead of shopping online.  For the most part online shoppers seem to get a better deal with these system and game releases.  Or it appears it to me.

I wonder if internet shops start breaking street date will other places?  

There was the story already on planetgamecube that stated that Nintendo is starting to ship units to retailers.  Usually in Texas once a ship date has started it takes 3 days for it to get on shelves.  So Nintendo is just making sure it is available everywhere at the same time...but I would suspect that they would only have to start shipping them 3-4 days out, not 2 weeks.  Hmmmm...

I don't want to get my hopes up.  But my Birthday is actually on the 17th, and I would love to be able to ask and get another game instead of just the one.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: IGN's Possible early Launch Story
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 09:46:26 PM »
This has been debunked already. Even Slashdot got the news by now.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 02:42:17 AM »
I got an e-mail from gamestop telling me the release date has changed from 11/22 to 11/15.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 07:44:06 AM »
Hello,

We have not announced any such early release of that Nintendo DS system.  The
Nintendo DS is still estimated for release on November 21, 2004, and will carry a
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price of $149.99 U.S ($199.95 Canadian).  The system
will come with a free software feature, PictoChat, embedded in the system hardware.
It will also come with a playable demo of Metroid Prime: Hunters First Hunt.  This
is a limited version of the full Metroid Prime Hunters game which will be released
for the system.   For additional information on the Nintendo DS, please visit the
following:

www.nintendods.com

www.nintendo.com/ds/index.jsp

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Pete Alan
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 10:11:46 AM »
"Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price of $149.99 U.S ($199.95 Canadian)"

Some quick research reveals that $150 US = $178.82 CAN.  Nintendo's ripping us Canucks off by over 20 bucks!  I never noticed that before.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 10:36:31 AM »
Ian Sane:  You can't use pure conversion methods to determine prices.

Sure the exchange rate should put the price 179.99 for Canada.

However one can't forget to consider:

1)Canadian taxes.  They may be higher on either Nintendo or the retail shop then in the US.

2)Canadian Retailers may be requesting higher profit for the system than US retailers are.

Though, I am more likely to believe it is probably government related with taxes.  But if you did research I bet either its an import tax, a retail tax, or some other tax that is raising the price.

Don't blame it on Nintendo neccessarily blame it on the government.  *LOL*

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 10:53:35 AM »
"1)Canadian taxes. They may be higher on either Nintendo or the retail shop then in the US."

Canadian prices don't include tax.  We have a federal sales tax called GST and most provinces have their own PST as well.  These are added to the price at the register.  I suppose it could be some duty or whatever altering the price but when the Cube and GBA launched it was pretty much a straight conversion with some rounding to get a more even number.  This applies for the most part with the current Cube and GBA prices as well (it seems to vary a fair bit from store to store).  I'm thinking that Nintendo is using the same conversion that would have worked back in 2001 but isn't taking into account that the American dollar has dropped a fair bit since then.

It doesn't matter too much to me since I'm not buying a DS at launch and the store I usually buy games from is really good at keeping their prices in line with the American dollar.  But it's still pretty lame.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 11:11:59 AM »
:^)  I stand corrected then.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 08:35:57 PM »
Don't those post-taxes screw up price transparency? Here everything gets labeled the price including VAT.